McDuff or McGriff ?

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
who you pick ?

Comments

• Options
    McGriff! He is a very handsome man.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    McGriff. Both made some classic funky instrumentals, but Soul Sugar sealed the deal for me.

• Options
    I thought this was a beer thread.

• PelvicDust said:
    I thought this was a beer thread.

• Mc Duff just pips it due to this LP

• McGruff

• It's all about McGriff as far as I'm concerned. McDuff had weaker material...

• pickwick33 said:
    McDuff had weaker material...

... you can't dis the albums he cut for atlantic

...and Moon Rappin and Gin & Orange are great albums too

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Damnnnnn
    Can't call it - they both have too many excellent cuts, none of which I can do without - its toe to toe

as for Mcgruff, ...

!

• Strider79it said:
    pickwick33 said:
    McDuff had weaker material...

... you can't dis the albums he cut for atlantic

...and Moon Rappin and Gin & Orange are great albums too

Duff had his moments...I don't totally dislike the guy. "Can't Get Satisfied" (on Atlantic), "Hot Barbecue" (on Prestige), "Let My People Go" (on Cadet), the Blue Note version of "Theme From Electric Surfboard" and a few others are classics. But these are all songs I'm referring to, not albums, and for my money he came up short in that department. McGriff for sheer consistency.

• Options
    Scruff McGruff
    Chicago, IL
    :real_headz:

• Both indispensable, but I'd have to say that McDuff gets it for going all progressive late in the game. McGriff also did some good, funky stuff, but McDuff got further out.

• funky16corners said:
    Both indispensable, but I'd have to say that McDuff gets it for going all progressive late in the game. McGriff also did some good, funky stuff, but McDuff got further out.

• funky16corners said:
    Both indispensable, but I'd have to say that McDuff gets it for going all progressive late in the game. McGriff also did some good, funky stuff, but McDuff got further out.

F-16, what albums did McDuff get "far out" on? The most recent thing I remember seeing on him is some cheesy-looking LP he did for Sugarhill - the rap label - in the eighties. Seems like the Jazz Record Mart in Chicago had a bunch of those piling up by the door for a dollar a head, ten-fifteen years ago.

(Good to have you back, BTW...)

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    It's a hard call for me. IMO, they both have had some phenomenal LP's and they both have had a few turds.

• Options
    Reynaldo said:

Flip That over!

• pickwick33 said:
    funky16corners said:

F-16, what albums did McDuff get "far out" on? The most recent thing I remember seeing on him is some cheesy-looking LP he did for Sugarhill - the rap label - in the eighties. Seems like the Jazz Record Mart in Chicago had a bunch of those piling up by the door for a dollar a head, ten-fifteen years ago.

I was thinking of his late 60s/early 70s stuff on Cadet and Blue Note. McGriff stayed stylistically current but never sounded to me like he was really "feeling" it. Some of the old school jazzers seemed out of place even as they tried to be funky.
    I'm not saying that McGriff's funky stuff was wack (it wasn't) but rather that McDuff seemed a more natural fit.

b/w

Good to be back.

• mcgriff & junior parker

• I???m not saying that McGriff???s funky stuff was wack (it wasn???t) but rather that McDuff seemed a more natural fit.

I've said it before, and it's worth repeating now - Griff was good no matter where you put him or what label he was recording for or what year it was. The only time I thought he was really going through the motions was on his early seventies Groove Merchant albums. If the GM records were all we had to go by, then I'd be ranking him way below Duff...

• pickwick33 said:
    funky16corners said:

I like "Made in Sweden" off the Moon rappin' Lp for McDuff's experimental side. McDuff stretched out more often than McGriff with many 6-10 min tracks on the Moon Rappin', Heatin' Sytem, Magnetic Feel and Fourth Dimension LPs.

a nice exception (poor sound):

• pickwick33 said:

... Griff was good no matter where you put him or what label he was recording for or what year it was. ..

that's because he was an outstanding rhythm player... Jack was more of a soloist but I tend to agree that McD late 70's albums for Cadet are more rewarding than Jimmy stuff of the same years

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I have albums by both and would not take one over the other.

• I couldn't choose, either. Soul Sugar and Electric Funk Vs. Moon Rappin and Down Home Style? Dudes are filed side by side. Moon Rappin' is such sickness, Joe Dukes kicks it on that album.

• i just thought about this real hard and i think the edge definitely has to go to McDuff. For one thing, he made the scene earlier and was more of a pioneer. He recorded great albums for Prestige, Atlantic, Blue Note, and Cadet. And that's not to mention his work with the young George Benson, which I will always have a soft spot for.

That said, McGriff definitely has a handful of awesome records that are staples of my collection. To rank him below Brother Jack is no slight on him. In the B3 hierarchy, there are very very very few people ranking above McDuff.

Lastly... while, in terms of overall career achievement, McDuff is pretty much the undeniable winner, both guys were definitely masters of their instrument and of the 'soul-jazz' style, and it would certainly be fair to say you prefer one's playing style over the other. Both are in the realm of mastery where it doesn't really make sense to argue who was a better organ player- it just comes down to personal preference. As for that, I would really have to sit down and listen hard to decide whose playing style I like better. man do i wish i had time to do that...

• leisurebandit said:
    . In the B3 hierarchy, there are very very very few people ranking above McDuff. .

you mean JS? any others? (OK for this thread isn't it?)

• tabira said:
    leisurebandit said:
    . In the B3 hierarchy, there are very very very few people ranking above McDuff. .

yup, pretty much. couldn't think of anyone else.

• leisurebandit said:
    tabira said:
    leisurebandit said:

Dude was doing things on the organ that NOBODY else was doing.

• funky16corners said:
    leisurebandit said:
    tabira said:
    leisurebandit said:

Dude was doing things on the organ that NOBODY else was doing.

yep. he was was a proto fusion pioneer like Miles, only it was doubly wierd cos it was the organ - jumping from soul jazz to progressive seemingly in one step when most others were going the other way towards pop covers

• When F16 mentioned McDuff going on avant-garde tangents, Larry Young was the first name I thought of. I'm surprised more organists didn't follow his lead.