vinyl digging documentry

cuthbert151cuthbert151 116 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
has anyone seen this vinyl digging documentry? it's pretty cool.

Red Beans & Rice (Record Collecting Documentary) from The Diggers Union Local 1200 on Vimeo.

Comments

• leonleon 883 Posts
    [size=3]Nice![/size]

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    <html>
    <style type="text/css">
    <body>

sweet thanx for the heads up

</body>
    </html>

lol

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    download link or suitable ripping software for mac anyone?

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    i found a lotta hits just googling "RED BEANS AND RICE documentary" most of the sites are blocked from my works firewall...i'll do some digging (no pun) when i get home and see if i can find a proper DL, as i'd like to "borrow" this..

• djsheep said:

link

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Boscoe at 4:30

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    This was a labor of love by DJ Darrel D from Phoenix. Almost all the dudes interviewed here are Phoenicians. The legendary Arizona collector Johnny D aka bendoverinc. on ebay. Smite, DJentrification, Drunk Jeff, Organic etc. I got a shout out somewhere in this video! I enjoyed my 2 years in Phoenix, for the most part, but its dire times for dudes looking for decent records there.

• these are some of the coolest collections i've ever seen!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    djsheep said:

Best way,

Open in Safari and hit ???+Opt-a to bring up the activity window. Then simply find the largest file (usually multiple MB which for this video says 257MB) and double click it.

File comes out in .mp4 format.

If you need to convert. Check out http://code.google.com/p/damnvid/

• DOR said:
    djsheep said:

Best way,

Open in Safari and hit ???+Opt-a to bring up the activity window. Then simply find the largest file (usually multiple MB which for this video says 257MB) and double click it.

Vimeo blocks the download (at least with this video) thats why i put up the clipnabber link.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Boss_Digga said:
    DOR said:
    djsheep said:

Best way,

Vimeo blocks the download (at least with this video) thats why i put up the clipnabber link.

Hmm, didn't for me. Downloaded fine. But you should still get new video window which gives you the link

http://av.vimeo.com/47695/612/25016031.mp4?token=1283199999_eb6dcc0165245d5e2af553a3ea4ef89c

Put in your download manager and you should be sorted.

• DOR said:
    Boss_Digga said:
    DOR said:
    djsheep said:

Best way,

Hmm, didn't for me. Downloaded fine. But you should still get new video window which gives you the link

http://av.vimeo.com/47695/612/25016031.mp4?token=1283199999_eb6dcc0165245d5e2af553a3ea4ef89c

Put in your download manager and you should be sorted.

[strike] I just get "no permission to read file" , might be because i'm in u.k. [/strike]

Working now, thanks!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Who's most prized record is a $20 Beastie Boys instrumental compilation?

• Decent doc. Hit and miss at times but enjoyed most of it. Wish those guys would handle their vinyl better. Watching them floppin the covers and vinyl around in their hands was like fingernails on a chalk board! Check out Dust and Grooves blog, love the diggin stories on there a ton.

• Reynaldo said:
    Who's most prized record is a $20 Beastie Boys instrumental compilation?

Yeah, Beastie lover also loves to hear all the crackles and the pops on the record??? Who the junk would like that? If I get this guys number I've got a shelf of vinyl that I'm gonna make some cash on that no one else would buy.

• my man Tim!!! thats the dude. the man has like ten million rock breaks.

i just heard from smite the other day. funny. i had like a great, brief sojourn in phoenix where i met some of those dudes.

that being said, somethings gotta be done on the creative front with these digging documentaries. always the same format, mighta as well be the same walls of crates and expedits. same ol heads and neo ol heads talking about the same stories.
    i love all that shit and i share a lot of their sentiments, but somehow this all needs to be presented in a new way.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    tripledouble said:

that being said, somethings gotta be done on the creative front with these digging documentaries. always the same format, mighta as well be the same walls of crates and expedits. same ol heads and neo ol heads talking about the same stories.
    i love all that shit and i share a lot of their sentiments, but somehow this all needs to be presented in a new way.

i agree. it comes off as super flat and dry. i mean, it interests me only because i know exactly what they're talking about, but to the average head i can see this becoming boring really fast.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    tripledouble said:

I'd like to see a documentary that actually goes out digging.....6 million records on a farm......2 million in a barn.....so folks can see just how hard this shit is....that 99.9999999999999999% of the records you go through is CHUD while breathing in black mold and rat feces.

Johhny D. is an old friend, one of the best there is and it was great to see him get some shine.

And an aside about handling vinyl......bitd some collector hanging out at the Hotel Room during ARC made a comment about my partner's handling of an LP.....he looked at the anal retentive collector....called out my name and threw me an original Index disc across the room Frisbee style. I wish I had a camera to catch Mr. Collectors facial expression.
    cuthbert151

• Rockadelic said:

And an aside about handling vinyl......bitd some collector hanging out at the Hotel Room during ARC made a comment about my partner's handling of an LP.....he looked at the anal retentive collector....called out my name and threw me an original Index disc across the room Frisbee style. I wish I had a camera to catch Mr. Collectors facial expression.

This reminds me of stories of a certain Belgian dealer. Classic. I'd still probably make googly eyes if someone lobbed an original Index at me like that, but on a higher level it's hilarious.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    i deleted it after that dude was standing near his wax poetics poster talking about it.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    djsheep said:
    i deleted it after that dude was standing near his wax poetics poster talking about it.
    Yes, that bit was cringeworthy.

• Rockadelic said:
    tripledouble said:

I'd like to see a documentary that actually goes out digging.....6 million records on a farm......2 million in a barn.....so folks can see just how hard this shit is....that 99.9999999999999999% of the records you go through is CHUD while breathing in black mold and rat feces.

Johhny D. is an old friend, one of the best there is and it was great to see him get some shine.

I agree. I personally couldn't get through a portion of this because i just don't care about anyone's records. I would rather here stories or see vid of dig. I realized many many years ago that record collecting is not about the records you find but the experiences along the way, the people you meet, the stories you hear. A lot of little dudes never catch that anyone can get money and buy records, it really doesn't mean any damn thing to have them..., but can you navigate a barn while perry is cleaning his 30 odd 6 and still find the deadstock?

One day i'll actually edit and compile a bunch of vids like this i shot over the last decade - africa, india, egypt, peru, mexico, brazil, USA, japan, europe, china, etc. LOTS of funny shit on there and they never show what i actually caught, just all the wacky shit that happened when trying to find records.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    djsheep said:

And the fact that he doesn't have "Quiet Fire" by Roberta Flack but has 'insert private turd here' by 'bobby mcfunky'

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    and the way he keeps clapping his hands together makes me cringe so much... he is the type of collector I can't stand for some reason... aimless digging at its best!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    this thread needs some :hayek:

4YearGraduate said:
    Rockadelic said:
    tripledouble said:

I agree. I personally couldn't get through a portion of this because i just don't care about anyone's records. I would rather here stories or see vid of dig. I realized many many years ago that record collecting is not about the records you find but the experiences along the way, the people you meet, the stories you hear. A lot of little dudes never catch that anyone can get money and buy records, it really doesn't mean any damn thing to have them..., but can you navigate a barn while perry is cleaning his 30 odd 6 and still find the deadstock?

One day i'll actually edit and compile a bunch of vids like this i shot over the last decade - africa, india, egypt, peru, mexico, brazil, USA, japan, europe, china, etc. LOTS of funny shit on there and they never show what i actually caught, just all the wacky shit that happened when trying to find records.

Would love to see those clips....and you nailed it on the head, the records don't mean nearly as much as the adventure.

• double post

• And on that note and because I sense you probably have it

Roc, there is a phenomenon I have witnessed which I refer to as the force, the inexplicable ability for an idividual to intuitively know where records are which always baffles me.

Also, record Karma is real. Give records as gifts and records come back to you tenfold I think this may be tied to the force or at least on the other hand I have known many dudes who boosted records as a matter of practice (or price switched) to loose records or whole collections late on down te line.

Again, inexplicable, but true.

4YearGraduate said:
    And on that note and because I sense you probably have it

Roc, there is a phenomenon I have witnessed which I refer to as the force, the inexplicable ability for an idividual to intuitively know where records are which always baffles me.

Also, record Karma is real. Give records as gifts and records come back to you tenfold I think this may be tied to the force or at least on the other hand I BBQ known many dudes who boosted records as a matter of practice (or price switched) to loose records or whole collections late on down te line.

Again, inexplicable, but true.

Record karma is very real.....I've seen it too many times.

But it really isn't much different than everyday karma.....treat people the way you want to be treated..... be fair....and understand that you're dealing with records....friggin insignificant round pieces of plastic...and I've never seen one that was worth more than reputation or integrity.

• and understand that you're dealing with records....friggin insignificant round pieces of plastic...and I've never seen one that was worth more than reputation or integrity.

DUDE

need to be given away as a free tattoo at record shows, right on people diggin' arm.