vinyl digging documentry

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    catalist said:
    djsheep said:
    i deleted it after that dude was standing near his wax poetics poster talking about it.

And the fact that he doesn't have "Quiet Fire" by Roberta Flack but has 'insert private turd here' by 'bobby mcfunky'

this is what gets me, there is a dude here in town who is a 45 "dealer"...Ill never forget hearing of his tale of finding a super rare record from a super obscure artist named Hank Buhllard a few years ago...yes, he was talking about the obscure artist Hank Ballard, who wrote "the twist" and sold millions and millions of records....chump

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Metaphysical record karma is soft and BS. Didn't Rock lose his entire collection in a fire? How could that have been karmic?

• InnerSpace said:
    Reynaldo said:
    Who's most prized record is a $20 Beastie Boys instrumental compilation?

Yeah, Beastie lover also loves to hear all the crackles and the pops on the record??? Who the junk would like that? If I get this guys number I've got a shelf of vinyl that I'm gonna make some cash on that no one else would buy.

i believe the quote was, "one of his most prized records" and it cost $20 in 1994. today that record sells for $50 to $150. and who cares what a record cost or who the artist is as long as the music or digging experience moves you?

and the "crackles and pops" are in reference to what a record sounds like in comparison to a cd. it does not refer to "condition".

• catalist said:
    and the way he keeps clapping his hands together makes me cringe so much... he is the type of collector I can't stand for some reason... aimless digging at its best!

"aimless digging at its best!" ????????

i know that dude and i'll put his collection against yours any day of the week!

• Reynaldo said:
    Metaphysical record karma is soft and BS. Didn't Rock lose his entire collection in a fire? How could that have been karmic?

He finds doubles of East Of Underground.

Perhaps you would attribute that to Hard Work & Ingenuity. [/bootstraps]

cuthbert151 said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Reynaldo said:

Yeah, Beastie lover also loves to hear all the crackles and the pops on the record??? Who the junk would like that? If I get this guys number I've got a shelf of vinyl that I'm gonna make some cash on that no one else would buy.

i believe the quote was, "one of his most prized records" and it cost $20 in 1994. today that record sells for $50 to $150. and who cares what a record cost or who the artist is as long as the music or digging experience moves you?

and the "crackles and pops" are in reference to what a record sounds like in comparison to a cd. it does not refer to "condition".
    I care that you're inflating the price, either intentionally or out of ignorance.

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Default.aspx?ctl00$SearchKey=beastie+boys+in+sound&SortKey=2&x=56&y=12

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    cuthbert151 said:
    catalist said:
    and the way he keeps clapping his hands together makes me cringe so much... he is the type of collector I can't stand for some reason... aimless digging at its best!

"aimless digging at its best!" ????????

i know that dude and i'll put his collection against yours any day of the week!

I am sure his collection is full of rare gems, that isn't my point..... the way he comes off in the video he's just digging for the sake of making little X marks on his poster and bragging to people instead of actually discovering and enjoying music on his own...it's just funny to me. I don't really care either way, people are gonna do what they do, just make sure you have fun doing it.. that to me is the bottom line. Angry digger syndrome is nasty and I've seen it on numerous occasions!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    cuthbert151 said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Reynaldo said:

I care that you're inflating the price, either intentionally or out of ignorance.

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Default.aspx?ctl00$SearchKey=beastie+boys+in+sound&SortKey=2&x=56&y=12

A record can be prized for more reasons than monetary value alone... something that many people still cannot grasp and maybe never will.

• Reynaldo said:
    cuthbert151 said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Reynaldo said:

nice! everytime i look for one of these i can't afford it(being that i have 2 copies already). thanks for posting this. guess i'll keep looking.

catalist said:

A record can be prized for more reasons than monetary value alone... something that many people still cannot grasp and maybe never will.
    I do agree that "a record can be prized for more reasons than monetary value alone," as long as those reasons also include significant monetary value. The dude in the documentary was primarily prizing the object as an object, due in part to a value it doesn't have. It isn't clear how much he actually prizes the music. And If he prizes the music irrespective of the facts around object, then he can't really claim to prize the record (the physical object), just the music.

• i just want to see some fpain, wonder, fights, reenactments, spontaneous grail pulls, drama. jonny mcdiggers saying "you know this was a comeup, back in the day that was the spot, and i got this on the humbug" while sitting in a record room gets old. at least the Balding Hiphop Gripper had some albums on display behind him (points for Boscoe. I remember having the jimmty madison years ago and getting rid of it...something i missed?). So he gives us something to look at while we hear his stories. maybe BGH couldhave expanded on his story about the paul C records on some philosophical moral pondering, " well you see Pelon can change hands for 8 bills, so i wasnt sure what to offer this guy..." and get into the moral ambiguities that make the whole shit interesting.

• allright fuck it...first i gotta tackle another long standing musical project on my plate. but i swear on soulstruts nuts that im going to make a digging short that defies the usual. would be cool if other strutters followed suit and we had a strut short film festival. im dead serious

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

He lost about 1/2 his collection to a fire and had them insured to the point of getting paid $150% of what they were worth.

Ironically, from a karmic view, my house fire was one of the best things to ever happen to me.

Rockadelic said:
    Reynaldo said:

He lost about 1/2 his collection to a fire and had them insured to the point of getting paid $150% of what they were worth.

Ironically, from a karmic view, my house fire was one of the best things to ever happen to me.
    I hear ya, but that's just it: karmic accounting is fuzzy at best. Who can really know what should go in what column and why. Negatives become positives and vice-versa.

• its kindof like religion...you just say "Everything happens for a reason" and keep on believing.

tripledouble said:
    its kindof like religion...you just say "Everything happens for a reason" and keep on believing.

Yeah.

As I was standing in my driveway watching my house burn I just kept thinking "I must have done some bad shit to deserve this".....but I honestly couldn't think of anything....if I had, I would have just chalked it up to paybacks and moved on.....a few weeks later I realized I must have done something damn good as no one was killed or injured, it allowed me to get out of a neighborhood that was in decline, insurance paid more in damages than I could have sold the house for and on top of that I got to sell the house and move. Plus the only room in the house that didn't burn was the one that had all our irreplaceble stuff like family photos, heirlooms, etc.

Gotta say this one was good karma.

• it just is

karma and religion are human attempts to find structure and coherence in the unfolding of life.
    we're no more/less important than ants. in my opinion of course.

• i want a poster with pictures of that guys face, and i can mark an x through each one as i laugh at it. thats my goal in life.

tripledouble said:
    it just is

karma and religion are human attempts to find structure and coherence in the unfolding of life.
    we're no more/less important than ants. in my opinion of course.

Absolutely....if I had thought of something I had done that was "bad" it would have bugged the shit out of me .....all the more reason to try to always do the right thing, even if it is just to water my own secret mind karma garden.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    cuthbert151 said:
    Reynaldo said:
    cuthbert151 said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Reynaldo said:

nice! everytime i look for one of these i can't afford it(being that i have 2 copies already). thanks for posting this. guess i'll keep looking.

wait...what?

cuthbert151 said:
    Reynaldo said:
    cuthbert151 said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Reynaldo said:

Stop paying $150 for $20 records and you'll be less broke. Maybe.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    catalist said:
    Angry digger syndrome is nasty and I've seen it on numerous occasions!

I think they have a medicinal cream for that now.

• cuthbert151 said:

Are you kidding me? I don't know what your records sound like but if they are popping and crackling and you don't think that has to do with condition and you think that is what they are suppose to sound like then you and I are on two different pages about what condition means. I listen to vinyl for many reasons, a couple of which is that it has a much wider frequency range, the music is analog and not digital and therefore a much better listening experience not because it pops and crackles. Vinyl is not suppose to have crackles and pops as part of the sound. If they do exist then that HAS to do with condition. If all records had crackles and pops then I would go back to CDs or my ipod because that doesn't make my listening experience better but actually worse.

• InnerSpace said:
    cuthbert151 said:

Are you kidding me? I don't know what your records sound like but if they are popping and crackling and you don't think that has to do with condition and you think that is what they are suppose to sound like then you and I are on two different pages about what condition means. I listen to vinyl for many reasons, a couple of which is that it has a much wider frequency range, the music is analog and not digital and therefore a much better listening experience not because it pops and crackles. Vinyl is not suppose to have crackles and pops as part of the sound. If they do exist then that HAS to do with condition. If all records had crackles and pops then I would go back to CDs or my ipod because that doesn't make my listening experience better but actually worse.

you still don't get it.
    what do you hear when you first put a needle on a record????
    what do you hear the first few seconds before the music starts???
    thats what is being referred too,not listening to an entire song with continuous surface noise. it's the beginning sound that lets you know you're listening to a record.
    get it now?

• Stop paying $150 for $20 records and you'll be less broke. Maybe.
    put your glasses back on. i never said i spent $150 on a $20 record.

cuthbert151 said:

put your glasses back on. i never said i spent $150 on a $20 record. It was a put-down; hyperbole is to be expected.

cuthbert151 said:
    Reynaldo said:

put your glasses back on. i never said i spent $150 on a $20 record.
    It was a put-down (rooted in your outlandish valuations); hyperbole is to be expected.

cuthbert151 said:
    InnerSpace said:
    cuthbert151 said:

you still don't get it.
    what do you hear when you first put a needle on a record????
    what do you hear the first few seconds before the music starts???
    thats what is being referred too,not listening to an entire song with continuous surface noise. it's the beginning sound that lets you know you're listening to a record.
    get it now?
    When I first put the needle on the record I hear an even silence until the music starts. Step your NM game up. Apparently you aren't familiar.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    apart from the usual anal digger discussions, I love how this thread turned. No disrespect to the guy with the 2 posters, but you can easily file his ways under "in it for all the wrong reasons". Love what was said about karma and "the force"...I actually experienced that numerous times myself and there are still occasions where I "jedimindtrick" myself. Well, actually not anymore, but that one time with the Lovelites LP still gives me nightmares...now what about Frank and his diggin' in Africa doc? :pasue:

• cuthbert... sorry man but I'm done. Like I said 2 different pages no doubt. But I sincerely appreciate the post of the documentary. I really did enjoy some of it.

And yes, let's see those clips of diggin fellas! I would love to see a true crash course in digging as well as a tour of other countries from all of you!