Serious Moral Dilemma

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    does she have an older sister that's more your type?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    behemoth said:
    you can write a sitcom about this building. one time her kids took the keys and she was locked out. so her and this dude Bullet Tooth (because he was shot in the head back in the day and lived) tried to get me to let them walk through my apartment and down the fire escape to climb in the window...

Bullet Tooth is rumored to have robbed peoples apartments and dabble in shady business so i told them NO SORRY

Maybe this is why they are now leaving trash out for you to smell upon.

some of that trash has been there for over 6 months. i used to think it was just bags and then it got warmer. and then it piled up more. i was asked to climb through her window about a month ago so i don't think this is in retaliation.

• sabadabada said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    the key is that it has to impact on one's ability to reasonably enjoy their own living space.

noise and odor probably not.

quiet enjoyment only applies where the apartment is basically unlivable and even then, if I remember Barbri coretly, he has to quit the premises to seek any relief and that relief is just getting out of the lease.

i don;t know this barbi case but that is not how it is in the uk or canada. there are covenants in residential leases that relate to obligations of tenants to maintain a degree of cleanliness and order and not to unreasonably interfere with a neighbours peaceful enjoyment of their space. there are ways to measure noise and there are ways to measure or asses levels of filth, etc..both are potential nuisances.

btw batmon- the real soft thing to do is to run around behind someone's back and make out reports on them or do some passive aggressive bouncing the basketball on the floor to annoy them.

• Let the super give her the benefit of the doubt, Mr. Rogers. He's the person hired to maintain the building, he's not the SS. Dudes are acting like calling the super is like turning your own mother in to the cops.

it's just not necessarily the first step that needs to be taken herr goebbles.

crabmongerfunk said:
    sabadabada said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    the key is that it has to impact on one's ability to reasonably enjoy their own living space.

quiet enjoyment only applies where the apartment is basically unlivable and even then, if I remember Barbri coretly, he has to quit the premises to seek any relief and that relief is just getting out of the lease.

i don;t know this barbi case but that is not how it is in the uk or canada. there are covenants in residential leases that relate to obligations of tenants to maintain a degree of cleanliness and order and not to unreasonably interfere with a neighbours peaceful enjoyment of their space. there are ways to measure noise and there are ways to measure or asses levels of filth, etc..both are potential nuisances.

btw batmon- the real soft thing to do is to run around behind someone's back and make out reports on them or do some passive aggressive bouncing the basketball on the floor to annoy them.

i don't understand your whole "soft thing to do" theory. i don't feel like talking to these people. the woman isn't really friendly and it isn't my job to enforce fire codes and health violations. i am on the other hand a victim of said activity. the super will take care of it. soft or not i don't care. i don't want to smell that shit...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

You sound Canadian.

• so be soft. you're the one who asked for advice, not me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Let the super give her the benefit of the doubt, Mr. Rogers. He's the person hired to maintain the building, he's not the SS. Dudes are acting like calling the super is like turning your own mother in to the cops.

it's just not necessarily the first step that needs to be taken herr goebbles.

"Hi, I live above you. I was wondering if you wanted to play Scrabble tonight?"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    dude, Chr*s, he's from Canada. You live in the Bronx. Don't listen to a thing he has to say, if you haven't already figured that out from his posting history here on Soulstrut.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    behemoth said:
    i was asked to climb through her window about a month ago

we need to start over. From the beginning.

there are so many more factors now: There's a guy called Bullet Tooth now? Bullet Tooth may be connected to the Neighborhood Elder Crime Council. There's interracial suckin-off in the stairwells. Multiple window-climb-thrus have been revealed...

The garbage is a bit player now.

COME CLEAN: BULLET TOOTH GOT SOMETHING ON YOU. AND YOU HATE CHINESE PEOPLE. AND YOU HAVE THAT FEAR OF FALLING OUT A WINDOW. AND YOU CANT MAKE LAUNDRY ROOM MOVES ON THE HOARDER BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T LAUNDER.

BREAK A MAN DOWN TO BUILD HIM UP ETC

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    dude, he's from Canada. You live in the Bronx. Don't listen to a thing he has to say, if you haven't already figured that out from his posting history here on Soulstrut.

pretty much

dude is pretty much ALWAYS wrong, no matter the topic

he isn't even funny either, that's the real shame

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    sabadabada said:

No. What you have to do here is get her to move the fuck out and since you are the upstairs tenant I would start with bouncing a basketball in the house during the night, and then escalate to water damage.

See, this right here is why America is #1!!!!!!!
    Oh, and lawsuits, and T*ny's idea of lighting the garbage on fire!! Shock and Awe bitches!!1

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    dude, Chr*s, he's from Canada. You live in the Bronx. Don't listen to a thing he has to say, if you haven't already figured that out from his posting history here on Soulstrut.

yeah, i don;t know what life is like in the bronx but i know what it means to be a neighbour. nice little passive aggressive jab johnny the all-knowing. it must be really nice to be the smartest person in the room all time. you just know how everything is and should be...

and soulhawk are you still mad cause i made fun of your love of lady gaga.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    sabadabada said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

In the U.S. the garden variety boilerplate lease includes a Quiet enjoyment clause. But that has been held to apply only to situations where the apartment is basically uninhabitable (i.e., no working plumbing, ceiling caved in, etc.). In that instance, the tenant can seek relief, but must (i) notify the landlord, (ii) give him an opportunity to repair; and (iii) leave the premises. Than they would be entitled to relief, which would be to get out of the lease and damages. Barbri, is a Bar Exam review class that covers these things in outline and it may be possible that you can partially leave the premises and stop paying partial rent if the interference doesn;t effect the entire residence. Either way, noies and smell from another tenan t will likely not lead to eviction under that term. That being said, this is also a safety issue involving one of the public areas of the building (the fire escape is blocked) so the landlord would face potential liability and is more likely to take some action.

Like I said, call the Fire Department.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Call your fairy godmother.

crabmongerfunk said:

He's doesnt HAVE to speak to her.

She's fuckin up. What dont you get? They're not friends. There's no over-intellectual blah-blah needed.

Alert the Super. Going "behind her back" is some real soft- I care for her shit, when she obviously isnt even on this planet. I dont understand the sympathy shit. That's some nasty ass shit. No need for a summit meeting.

Way too much Law School.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    i'd talk to the super.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    sabadabada said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

In the U.S. the garden variety boilerplate lease includes a Quiet enjoyment clause. But that has been held to apply only to situations where the apartment is basically uninhabitable (i.e., no working plumbing, ceiling caved in, etc.). In that instance, the tenant can seek relief, but must (i) notify the landlord, (ii) give him an opportunity to repair; and (iii) leave the premises. Than they would be entitled to relief, which would be to get out of the lease and damages. Barbri, is a Bar Exam review class that covers these things in outline and it may be possible that you can partially leave the premises and stop paying partial rent if the interference doesn;t effect the entire residence. Either way, noies and smell from another tenan t will likely not lead to eviction under that term. That being said, this is also a safety issue involving one of the public areas of the building (the fire escape is blocked) so the landlord would face potential liability and is more likely to take some action.

Like I said, call the Fire Department.

amurkans talmbout what's "legal," canucks talmbout what's "right"...

the only person who has it figured out is the old man getting fondled.

"excuse me m'am, can I clean up your apartment for you? please?"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jeez, seriously...just get a broom stick, reach down and knock the garbage into the street. Problem solved.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    sometimes people are so oblivious to their lifestyle or how far things have slid. the neighbourly and moral thing to do is to first bring it up not go straight to the super or whomever.

come on. if a person is "oblivious" to the problem caused by/related to his or her disgusting-ass lifestyle it is because he or she thinks that said lifestyle is normal--that everybody lives like that. a person who is amenable to being swayed by neighborly concern would be neighborly enough not to dump trash like that in the first place. this has nothing to do with morality, and if it did, it would be the morality of subjecting your neighbors to your shitty lifestyle, not the morality of finding the best way to keep your home from becoming a dump.

batmon said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

He's doesnt HAVE to speak to her.

She's fuckin up. What dont you get? They're not friends. There's no over-intellectual blah-blah needed.

Alert the Super. Going "behind her back" is some real soft- I care for her shit, when she obviously isnt even on this planet. I dont understand the sympathy shit. That's some nasty ass shit. No need for a summit meeting.

Way too much Law School.

i already told the super. the topic should be retitled "Gross Neighbors" because the whole moral dilemma thing was out of hand. i thought for some odd reason it would be escalated to a child endangerment thing. i guess i overreacted on that.

i guess now we just wait and see if it is cleaned up. if not i will talk to the super again and possibly call the management company.

• he doesn;t HAVE to do anything. he has a range of choices and asked how he should proceed and i gave my take which is to basically to alternative dispute resolution as the first step. thats not law or contract or anything. maybe it works, probably it doesn;t but i say that the "moral" thing to do is to bring it up directly. its jsut advice on how to deal with a neighbour problem and how certain dudes turned this into some opportunity to talk shit to me is something that is beyond my understanding.

didn;t realize jp had such a hard-on for me. that's too bad, i liked going to his shop.

crabmongerfunk said:
    he doesn;t HAVE to do anything. he has a range of choices and asked how he should proceed and i gave my take which is to basically to alternative dispute resolution as the first step. thats not law or contract or anything. maybe it works, probably it doesn;t but i say that the "moral" thing to do is to bring it up directly. its jsut advice on how to deal with a housing project and how certain dudes turned this into some opportunity to talk shit to me is something that is beyond my understanding.

didn;t realize jp had such a hard-on for me. that's too bad, i liked going to his shop.

Where do u live?

• i currently reside in vancouver, canada but i make frequent trips to new york. i may be down this summer, you want to grab a drink and food? i promise i'm not this contentious in real life.

HarveyCanal said:
    Jeez, seriously...just get a broom stick, reach down and knock the garbage into the street. Problem solved.

i don't have a big enough or strong enough broom to reach down and sweep the encrusted food off the fire escape. plus that just causes more problems...

but i do see what you are saying. still not my job to clean up their mess. there is a garbage room in the basement with dozens of trash cans, recycling bins and an area to put bigger pieces of garbage and old furniture. it is maintained pretty well and they empty the room twice a week. it is beyond me why they can't just put the stuff in there and not out the kitchen window. did i mention that is the kitchen window down there? the fusking kitchen!

crabmongerfunk said:
    i currently reside in vancouver, canada but i make frequent trips to new york. i may be down this summer, you want to grab a drink and food? i promise i'm not this contentious in real life.

Ill force you to take drugs

• batmon said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i currently reside in vancouver, canada but i make frequent trips to new york. i may be down this summer, you want to grab a drink and food? i promise i'm not this contentious in real life.

i hope that's a promise.

crabmongerfunk said:
    he doesn;t HAVE to do anything. he has a range of choices and asked how he should proceed and i gave my take which is to basically to alternative dispute resolution as the first step. thats not law or contract or anything. maybe it works, probably it doesn;t but i say that the "moral" thing to do is to bring it up directly. its jsut advice on how to deal with a neighbour problem and how certain dudes turned this into some opportunity to talk shit to me is something that is beyond my understanding.

i don't think this thread serves as a pre-requisite for you getting along with JP and not frequenting his shop. i think it's just that you live in Canada and don't understand the quality of living here and how easy it is for things to get out of hand. NYC isn't the cleanest place in the world

crabmongerfunk said:
    batmon said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

i hope that's a promise.

Ill get you high and make u deliver Chinese food to Behemoth's neighbor