Serious Moral Dilemma

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    call A&E

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Many years ago I had a house in my neighborhood that was very similar.

The trash had made it's way to the front porch/yard and I called the Health Department, mainly because they had small children living in this squalor.

The inspector came out and then stopped by my place to let me know what was up.....he said that when they opened the front door 100's of roaches ran OUT of the house....that there had been a leak in the roof which had caused the ceiling to collapse in 2 rooms and they were just left that way....then he told me that because they "owned" the house they could live however they wanted and all that he could do was make them clean-up outside of the home, not inside.

So I called CPS.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts

My last suggestion is to contact the A&E show "Hoarders" because these folks are hoarding trash and probably lots of other strange shit. Then they'll turn the tables and film you hoarding records.

That show is incredibly disturbing but may give you some insights into the psychological issues people in live in filth have.

You could try and understand her and go the softly softly approach.

Or
    Knock on her door and say "clean your shit up you disgusting cunt"

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    F all the people that are all like "talk to her first"

F that

She already violated the social contract

She is about to have mice in your apartment

There is obviously something wrong with her

She is clearly going to be completely impervious to logical appeals

Dealing with her is a waste of time

Go straight to the super, the authorities, whatever

Correct Answer.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The difference is that it's not subjective.

It's a health risk.

It's a risk to every tenant in the building, because of pests and infestation.

It is almost certainly a violation of the lease terms.

And not only that but trash on the fire escape is a huge fire code violation. She's putting the whole building in danger by blocking egress routes. This is not Behemoth's problem, its the whole buildings. Management and the super need to get involved. Don't talk to this lady yourself, anyone who lives in squalor like that is probably a little off, and a confrontation could make things worse for you.
    And I wouldn't worry about CPS. Unless the place is an unlivable sty they won't call them in, and if it is an unlivable sty then its probably better for those kids to be out of there.

Are you sure they aren't just putting the garbage on the fire escape over night until they throw it away in the morning to save themselves a tirip downstairs? Also, its hard to believe that one apartment in the building has a mice infestation because its messy to the exclusion of all the other apartments.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    i can't believe people are saying to "talk to her"... i guarantee she will do nothing.

call managment immeditaley. this person is putting everyone in your building at risk. call now....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Spray paint CLEAN UP YOUR FUSKING TRASH! really big on her door.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Run up in that piece w/ a muthafuckin' broom and some hefty bags.
    Smack the kids up and make them help you clean that shit.

Then ask if she has records.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Why even get all analytical about it? Call the super, close the window, turn on the AC, and keep it moving. You don't owe her to catch feelings about the situation.

Anyone think a "nice conversation" is gonna make this person Clean Their Shit overnight?

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    batmon said:

Then ask if she has records.

HOARDING VINDICATED

batmon said:
    Anyone think a "nice conversation" is gonna make this person Clean Their Shit overnight?

Totally! She's probably a really nice, reasonable person who simply doesn't realize that her place is filthy and that it impacts other people when she blocks the fire escape with putrid garbage. A quick convo and some cookies should sort it.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    batmon said:

probably not, but its neighborly protocol...step to them first, then call for back up
    might be a formality if she is as postal as everyone is making her out to be, but at least the respect was shown to try to get her to handle her bizness. you could knock on her door and say, "hey how ya doin. couldnt help but notice the piles of garbage on the fire escape right under my window. id appreciate if you handled that as soon as you can. my first instinct was to call the super, but i wanted to come to you first." they say fuck off and you call the super. end of story. but maybe they say "my bad, shits been hectic. thanks for the heads up"

straight to super= the hours on the internet/scared to engage way of doing things.

tripledouble said:
    batmon said:

probably not, but its neighborly protocol...step to them first, then call for back up
    might be a formality if she is as postal as everyone is making her out to be, but at least the respect was shown to try to get her to handle her bizness. you could knock on her door and say, "hey how ya doin. couldnt help but notice the piles of garbage on the fire escape right under my window. id appreciate if you handled that as soon as you can. my first instinct was to call the super, but i wanted to come to you first." they say fuck off and you call the super. end of story. but maybe they say "my bad, shits been hectic. thanks for the heads up"

straight to super= the hours on the internet/scared to engage way of doing things.

Certainly. I'll take care of it right away, because I had no idea that the bags of stinking garbage I've been collecting on the fireescape were bothering anybody.

• tripledouble said:
    batmon said:

Plus if you are having a moral dilema, going to her first should give you some peace of mind if shit does get ugly with the kids, etc.

^^^^^^^^^^^

See, that's what I'm saying. Be reasonable with reasonable people. Act neighborly with people who act like neighbors. If someone's acting in complete disregard to the neighborhood, then there's likely little that will come of acting neighborly toward them. Call in the people whose job it is to deal with things that f*ck up the neighborhood.

Edit: I was referring to Sababadada.

tripledouble said:
    batmon said:

Trash on the Fire Escape is "Neighborly Protocol"?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    From another forum:

This girl I know is a massive slapper. Shags men left right and centre and is open about it. However she is very fit and posts ridiculously saucy pictures on her facebook.

I, on the other hand, am an upstanding citizen.

She's come onto me many a time and would be an easy nut, but I don't want HIV or the guilty conscience.

Yay or nay?

Yay

Know this similar girl, except admittedly I wouldn't call her fit, that gets around the block. Was sitting chatting with 2 other mates at a pub and turned out we had all shagged her.

High fives all round.

will she give up the anus? and will she swallow your spermatazoa?

if the answer to either question is yes, and even if it's not, you should post pics or shut your rass pie-hole.

I hope this lends some perspective.

please post some pics of the amount of garbage

DJ_WubWub said:
    please post some pics of the amount of garbage

On related note.

Go the Kiwi's

Students win dirtiest house award
    By Nicky Park in Auckland From: AAP June 24, 2010 1:49pm

A GROUP of Christchurch students have earned the title of living in New Zealand's dirtiest house.

The six men from the South Island won a national radio contest dubbed, Smells Kitchen, to find the dirtiest living conditions in the country.

The Canterbury University students - Jarred Turnbull, Tahi Poasa, Hamish Catherwood, James Lentjes, Geert Lepoutre and Adam Lill - moved in to the residence eight months ago.

Mr Turnbull told The Press they'd recently recruited a seventh housemate, a "friendly rat".

Mr Turnbull boasted of a hole in his bedroom roof that leaked, destroying his laptop and disabling the lights.

"We didn't think we were that bad, we've got a real good cooking roster... we usually do the dishes but the other cleaning, we don't do it," Mr Lepoutre said.

Mr Lepoutre admitted it wasn't a win that their mums were proud of, but hoped the title would encourage someone to tidy the place up.

"If we can find some girls to clean it up, that would be ideal," he said.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DJ_WubWub said:
    please post some pics of the woman

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Man fuck that "talking to people" shit.

I used to have some loud ass neighbors. They would be jamming, hanging out, or fucking loudly at 4am on a Tuesday or some such. I used to bang on the ceiling with the broom handle. I am not trying to have this convo at 4am with god knows who, how drunk, or mid-escapade. Come on.

The behavior continued. I left a respectful but direct note, not passive aggressive. I bought a set of earplugs for me and wifey. I spoke to the super but they said there wasn't much they could do short of eviction (basically impossible in NYC). I continued to bang on the ceiling as I saw fit. Usually, it worked.

Finally, a fight broke out easter weekend at 4am between the tenants and their guests and you could hear tables and chairs overturning and breaking.

I called the police.

They moved out a week later. I sleep just fine.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Man fuck that "talking to people" shit.

I used to have some loud ass neighbors. They would be jamming, hanging out, or fucking loudly at 4am on a Tuesday or some such. I used to bang on the ceiling with the broom handle. I am not trying to have this convo at 4am with god knows who, how drunk, or mid-escapade. Come on.

The behavior continued. I left a respectful but direct note, not passive aggressive. I bought a set of earplugs for me and wifey. I spoke to the super but they said there wasn't much they could do short of eviction (basically impossible in NYC). I continued to bang on the ceiling as I saw fit. Usually, it worked.

Finally, a fight broke out easter weekend at 4am between the tenants and their guests and you could hear tables and chairs overturning and breaking.

I called the police.

They moved out a week later. I sleep just fine.

i talked to the janitor in the building about it and told him since he is really not capable of telling people anything. he said "that woman crazy. tell Rade. we have problems with her"

so i told my super and he said he will handle it anonymously. he said when he goes there to fix things he feels bad for the children. told me the walls are yellowish brown from the cigarette smoke and there is just piles of shit everywhere. thanked me for telling him because it is more or less a fire hazard and a blocked exit if there is a fire...

i really didn't feel the need to go and tell these people. because they are conscious of what they are doing. if they had any respect for themselves or others they wouldn't do it to begin with. me telling them to clean their shit up would probably be a slap in the face and create problems.

as a tenant i have a right to live free of infestation and clutter. and i definitely have the right to be able to escape the building if there was a fire. i will leave it up to the super to tell them. i have a feeling he knew about it and told them once before too because he shook his head and said "oh god"

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    faux_rillz said:

F that

I agree 100%. Also, the grounds for child services to sever custody are pretty severe, if the situation merits them being taken away you may be doing the kids a favor.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I wouldn't risk telling the authorities. She might get so stressed out over the whole ordeal that she lights up a cigarette, thereby causing her oxygen tank to explode and taking out the entire building in the process. Do you really want that on your conscious?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    faux_rillz said:

F that

I agree 100%. Also, the grounds for child services to sever custody are pretty severe, if the situation merits them being taken away you may be doing the kids a favor.

my final thought was that the super will ask them to clean up. if they do wonderful. if they don't then he will call the building management and they will force her to clean up. and THEN if she doesn't do it they will call the city. i think it will taken care of in those 3 steps....

hopefully.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i think for all the input and back and forth, we deserve some pics.
    fire escape heap is a must
    climbing down and snapping some thru the window shots would be great
    if you catch the lady, bonus points