Post-Apocalyptic movies

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i really liked book of eli from earlier this year. it was a very clever post-apocalyptic world they created.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic and really really good:

I need to see this film.

Right after The Matrix debuted a co-worker of mine highly recommended this flick.
    He said that Dark City had "the matrix thingy" before The Matrix.

Its a slept-on joint.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Er... Mad Max, Waterworld, The Day After, Red Dawn...

Waterworld?!?!????! Really????

Costner w/ gills, drinking his own urine. Yes, really!

I hope they 'redo' Logan's Run.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts

Near Dark is a classic,

I don't like 'em when they ain't been shaved

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    "Vigilante"? I ride for that one - great soundtrack and great cast - but the fact that it's set in "modern day" NYC and deals with inner city crime and related plausible situations disqualifies it from being mentioned along with "cyborgs, nukes and evil corporations" movies.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Someone needs to make a .gif of 00:10

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I enjoy "Dark City" but it's not post-apocalypitc. I agree about dystopian but more in a neo-noir way than "total disintegration of society" way.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Antagonist: Adam Ant

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Antagonist: Adam Ant

DAMN!! Bottom right, the dude that played The Shogun of Harlem!! When is this from?!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Julius Carry...1988

• Great thread, this movie scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Great thread, this movie scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

They made us watch it at school. i was like 11/12. Damaged for life.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Ive always wanted to peep

I used to watch this film pretty obsessively back in my teens. It's a real chaotic mix of the brilliant and the just plain weird but well worth hunting down.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I enjoy "Dark City" but it's not post-apocalypitc. I agree about dystopian but more in a neo-noir way than "total disintegration of society" way.

You know, I thought about it but decided to include it anyway.

I don't really know how to explain myself without giving too much away to people who have not seen it, but just think what "total disintegration of society" would be without bombs/toxic-waste/zombie-plague etc. Destruction by control? That's why I feel the movie is post-apocalyptic.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

&

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

aka Time of the Wolf!

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Acci?n mutante (1993)

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Wow this is directed by the dude that did Perdita Durango.
    It looks like it was a wild ride.

Yeah its dark and has a strange comedy edge to it as you can see from the cake scene. Spanish friend of mine put me on to it a couple years ago.

Never struck my mind that dude also did perdita durango!

• This was a funny one.

The soda machine scene.

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts

Looks similar to "The Thirteenth Floor". Check Wikipedia and boom:

The plot of The Thirteenth Floor refers to the existentialist themes portrayed in The Matrix and eXistenZ, both 1999 movies, and Dark City, released in 1998. The Thirteenth Floor received overall negative reviews.[1]

Is Deathrace 3000 Post-Apoc?

Since Deathrace is staged in a scenario dealing with financial and military problems I'd say dystopian.

why is there no nerd with glasses graemlin btw?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

You know, I thought about it but decided to include it anyway.

I don't really know how to explain myself without giving too much away to people who have not seen it, but just think what "total disintegration of society" would be without bombs/toxic-waste/zombie-plague etc. Destruction by control? That's why I feel the movie is post-apocalyptic.

I'm just splitting hairs. The thing with "Dark City" is that it's all about manipulation rather than disintegration. In some ways, "Dark City" reminds me of that classic "Twilight Zone" episode about the 8 year old with God-like powers, having total control over that small town. In a sense, it shares one common theme with post-apoclayptic films, namely the loss of standard social conventions and institutions. But there are some key differences IMO: most post-apocalyptic films suggest that the disintegration of society was the product of our own hubris/aggression/etc. Therefore, the anarchy of a P.A. society is meant to be a further reflection on what happens when we let our base instincts dominate. "Dark City" doesn't carry that aspect.

Worth mentioning: the rebooted "Battlestar Galatica" is very much a P.A. series in ways that the original was not.

Worth mentioning: the rebooted "Battlestar Galatica" is very much a P.A. series in ways that the original was not.

Are the OG Colonies even from Earth?

Werent they looking for Earth that was either habitable or some distant humanoid cousin stuff?

And they finally find Earth for the 1980 version.

I watched Cherry 2000 yesterday.
    Enjoyed it a lot - thanks for recommending it DustedDon