Facebook YAY or NAY

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I'm beginning to feel NAY.Yea sure it's easier to let people know about any parties going down, but at the same time, people be tagging unattractive and sometimes inappropriate pictures of you. And the impulse to log on, is just as if not worse than Soulstrut! Here, you actually learn a thing or two and have decent dialogue (maybe). Alright, I gotta get back and see if there's any new notifications...

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Resistance is futile.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    I agree with Harvey.

Make sure to regularly adjust privacy setting and you'll be fine, I hope. Oh, and put all your friends in little boxes(groups) so you can control what they can and can't see.

• yay

As an RSS type feed for things I'm interested in.
    For it's ease in inviting large numbers of people to things, shotgun method.
    For trading interesting web content with like minded people, mixtapes, events, releases etc.

nay

The horror

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i turned off all the email notifications last month. all of them. and that really helped me stay off it so much. and i do not have it on my phone. that said, it is very useful to keep up with people from all over. you can take people off your wall too if they post dumb shit like farmville or glenn beck videos. on the other hand, a lot of poeple consistently post cool shit.

you can remove tag from pictures you don't like it.

btw--i need that picture of yuichi with the spinning faux rillz medallion for my facebook album. thanks!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    it's pure vanity and for me personally, facebook is a way bigger distraction than myspace ever was.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Facebook is where I internet with Soulstrutters outside of Soulstrut. I ride.

• nay, and i'm tired of people telling me i need to get on it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Still has a telegraph.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I spent a good few precious minutes going through my profile and blocking updates and invitations from imbeciles that don't understand application spamming. I wanted to just defriend them all but it's a bit tricky when it's family.

Still, the silent judgement I carried out on them was highly therapeutic all the same.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Yay. Caught up with a lot of very old friends.
    But if I don't actually know you then i'm not accepting your friend request.

nay, and i'm tired of people telling me i need to get on it.

wondering how people tell you anything if you are not on facebook.

But if I don't actually know you then i'm not accepting your friend request.

define "know". i have people from here and i've never met them out of the matrix and we're facebook friends.

i do get some weird out of nowhere requests. i think some people use a program to ask everyone in the site for friends.

my basic standard is two or more friends in common and we're on.

• nay, and i'm tired of people telling me i need to get on it.

wondering how people tell you anything if you are not on facebook.

they come over to hang out/listen to music/watch a movie/have a meal, make a bee-line for my computer, and then use it to check their FB pages, and then update me on what's going on: "so-and-so wants to get a hold of you, says you need to get on facebook," etc. i've had the same phone number and email address for 10 years. i've lived in the same place for nearly 10 years. i'm easy to get a hold of. if the people who are interested in contacting on facebook were contacting in real life, i would be forced to use a telegraph in order to avoid them.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    NAY.

I couldn't possibly spew forth the bile needed to express my full horror for this plague - everybody gets 15 minutes of fame, well not with Facebook, which is why it's a panacea for all the vain motherfuckers up on it. The worst part is that you can spot the bastards everywhere you go, as they're the stupid pricks with their hands resting on their camera phones like Billy the f*cking Kid, waiting for a photo opp that they can post up on Facefuck first thing in the morning. Trying to get my friends to put their damn phones away and just have a beer has become trying at the best of times, get out of an everyday pub situation, and into a night club or at a party, and I've been surrounded by roomfuls of the vain bastards trying to beef up their portfolio of 'happening lifestyle' shots; Here's me having a great time at a party. Here's me with some hot girl I don't even know but I've blagged into pretending to be on intimate terms with using the pavlovian 'SMILE' trick. Here's me holding a large mixed drink. Aint I cool?.

Endeth rant.

NAY.

I couldn't possibly spew forth the bile needed to express my full horror for this plague - everybody gets 15 minutes of fame, well not with Facebook, which is why it's a panacea for all the vain motherfuckers up on it. The worst part is that you can spot the bastards everywhere you go, as they're the stupid pricks with their hands resting on their camera phones like Billy the f*cking Kid, waiting for a photo opp that they can post up on Facefuck first thing in the morning. Trying to get my friends to put their damn phones away and just have a beer has become trying at the best of times, get out of an everyday pub situation, and into a night club or at a party, and I've been surrounded by roomfuls of the vain bastards trying to beef up their portfolio of 'happening lifestyle' shots; Here's me having a great time at a party. Here's me with some hot girl I don't even know but I've blagged into pretending to be on intimate terms with using the pavlovian 'SMILE' trick. Here's me holding a large mixed drink. Aint I cool?.

Endeth rant.

You dudes should start an Amish-style community where you can drive your horse-drawn buggies and churn your own butter in peace.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    NAY.

Endeth rant.

I hear ya. However...

Plus, I use an alias and have it set up so you can't search it even if you know my alias. So far it has worked well.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I turned off all the email notifications last month.

^^ +1 This!

Here's some more insights:

Facebook lite is much easier to look at.

From the old Facebook thread here on the Strut.. Make a new group, put all your friends in it, and then turn it to offline. Then you don't have to deal with anyone on Facebook chat.

Also, at the bottom of the news feed. You can change the number of how many people you want to show on your NEWS FEED, and hide all those facebook attention whores, that clutter up your news feed.

When people send you gift and flowers. Tell them this is a BUSINESS Myspace account.

Also, you can easily find ways to connect your blog posts to your Facebook if you use Twitter, Wordpress, Tumblr or Blogspot. That way you can pretend to be active and posting on facebook. Without even looking at it.

- spidey

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Facebook is cool wit me.

I let muthafuckas know - dont send me kisses pillow fights flowers or none of that dumb shit.

A couple of my housewife friends tend to get on there and do the whole.."I dont know if i should go work out or read in the park this afternoon: type of bullshit.

Old buddies from college or the hood is cool, but some folks just want to connect for the sake of connecting. Bitch - I'm never gonna "CHAT" w/ u and your never gonna do shit after your request.

My high school doesnt exist anymore, so having a "headquarters" for all my classmates,girlfriends,Basketball teammates and them is invaluable.

Its not "new" anymore so Yah/Nah is like whatever.... Use it for what your "needs" are and call it a day. Its just another TV show to me.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Total bullshit and a waste of time.

I was told you need to be on there to promote parties etc.

Facebook generates so much notifications, invites and other spam that I seriously doubt anybody even looks at this stuff.

I deleted my facebook and myspace profiles a couple of weeks ago and added myspace and facebook as keywords to my spam filter.

Soulstrut already kills enough of my time, I don't need anything else.

The whole "it's great to get back in touch with people" thing is idiotic. If you don't have my email address there is little to no chance I need to hear from you.

Useless!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

hahahahahahaha thats good.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    NAY.

Endeth rant.

Yes, Yes and Yes!

You dudes should start an Amish-style community where you can drive your horse-drawn buggies and churn your own butter in peace.

Eat more shit.
    Millions of flies can't be wrong.

Eat more shit.

Word. 'Cause people are flies. Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule of hating everything on the planet except African records and real Bavarian farm bacon to respond.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Facebook generates so much notifications, invites and other spam that I seriously doubt anybody even looks at this stuff.

While I dislike the amount of spam (the games stuff is a turn off).

I will give it this. Anytime me or my friends are looking for something to do on any given night. I load up fb on my cell and go to the events section to see which friends are doing something. A few times it's been perfect.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Eat more shit.

Word. 'Cause people are flies. Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule of hating everything on the planet except African records and real Bavarian farm bacon to respond.

ROTFL!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Eat more shit.

ROTFL!

What would you do if I tried to add you as a FB friend?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I never had a Facebook page: I'm much more talkative and outgoing than I am online. I think it's funny when people, namely women at work or school, tell others with a straight face about their "Facebook drama" (get a grip!). Neither YAY or NAY, I guess.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Eat more shit.

Hey, I also like beer, my wife and my dogs...

This was not meant as an insult but to counter the tired "if everybody's on there it's gotta be great" or "go with the times or be left behind" argument.

And no, I would never say that people are flies. The camera-phone people Duderonomy mentioned are much more irritating than a whole swarm of insects.

Eat more shit.

I think he also like dogs. But really. That look is getting old, Frank.

Eat more shit.

ROTFL!

What would you do if I tried to add you as a FB friend?

Are you still using that Ibert bike seat? I read the limit is 35 lbs. my son is pushing 34.5 and I'm still using it daily. thing is the best evar. what am i gonna do next?