Facebook YAY or NAY

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    And O-Dub is pretty close to the Tom Friedman article-linker.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The asshurt agonizing over the existence of facebook crowd is of course always a barrel of monkeys.

If y'all were really oblivious, then you wouldn't be talking about it every 5 minutes.

I know dudes who spend more time bitching about how they'll never use facebook than I spend actually using it.

C'mon, get out there and live...whine about facebook with us.

If y'all were really oblivious, then you wouldn't be talking about it every 5 minutes.

I know dudes who spend more time bitching about how they'll never use facebook than I spend actually using it.

C'mon, get out there and live...whine about facebook with us.

WHY WON'T DUDES STOP TAKING PICTURES AT THE BAR TO PUT ON FACEBOOK SO WE CAN DRINK THESE BEERS AND PROPERLY BITCH ABOUT FACEBOOK?!

One of my chick friends just asked in her status update if it's Friday yet...uncanny.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    What's really spooky about FB is when you get friended by someone out of the blue whom you've never met and has no friends in common with you. That don't smell right.

I have nothing against accepting friend requests from people I've never met, if we have the right friends in common. Probably the most surprising came from a member of Off Broadway, a legendary Chicago power-pop band who had two albums on Atlantic in '79-80. He is still active as a musician. I wrote him back thanking him, mentioning along the way that I was a fan of their On album in my teen years...he thanked me and replied, "sorry I inflicted that noise on you!"

• Facebook is like a funeral.....If I really wanted to see you I would have done so when you were alive.

sorry, but i thought this was a sad statement. shit is really not that bad, but to each their own.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    And O-Dub is pretty close to the Tom Friedman article-linker.

(Defriending DB Cooper...now)

#18 on the list - I will admit to having seen quite a few of those!

(although not necessarily from "high school," but definitely from "a long time ago"...you're innocently [ha!] wondering how they held up, but then they fake you out with some vague-looking snapshot)

• the question should not be about Facebook itself (the brand, the product), but the broader concept of a platform that easily integrates multiple forms of digital communication. bitching about how that is unnecessary is what sounds so geriasshurt of my lawn.

I think there's the rub...
    and thus nay.

Anybody on here probably understands the value of social networking. From my experience Facebook is designed as such that it preys on peoples vanity. I canceled mine cause I didn't want to hear apathetic half-wit statuses and see shitty bar photos. Yes an event gets the word out but in the same respect it often gets lost among the countless other invitations to bullshit people receive. From my experience if people really care about what you got going on, they'll stay connected. The internet makes this easier than ever why do we need one cluster F*ck of a website to spoon feed us in glossy print?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Facebook has kept me in touch with good people on the other side of the world, despite my having lost cell phones and all other sorts of contact info (and them having done the same). Automatic plus for that alone.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    haha facebook makes people all mad.

I ride. more in touch with some old friends than ever.

and I LIKE when my friends make some corny "eating crackerjacks and watching Time Bandits" status update. It cracks me up. Because they are my friends.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "I don't use Facebook" is the new "I don't own a cell phone."

There's nothing wrong with either unless you're being self-righteous about it.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Just this week I got back in contact with an old schoolfriend that I lost touch with when I was about 19. In the interim, this guy's got himself an engineering degree, started his own business, lived in the Czech Republic and China, moved to the US (living in LA, St. Louis, Philly and now Detroit), had a heart attack, got married and just become a father for the first time.

Any tips on avoiding application spam (as well as inflicting it on others) would be welcome, though.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    People from work want to friend up. NO.

Those are two worlds that should never collide.

you can also accept their request and block them from seeing anything.

How do you do this? Do I have to start grouping everybody, or i can i just block a few specific people?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Please stop telling me you found 8 bushels of corn on your farm I do not care

Please stop telling me you found 8 bushels of corn on your farm I do not care

JUSTIN NEEDS HELP FIGHTING SUPER SPACE NINJA PIRATES IN MAFIA WARS. CLICK TO HELP!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

How do you do this? Do I have to start grouping everybody, or i can i just block a few specific people?

Yeah, How? I can't figure out how to do this. I need to put some work friends over there.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Everyone needs to understand there's a good reason that long-lost friends are long-lost.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i have a lot of friends an family interstate and over seas, my family likes to see pics of the nieces/nephews and my friends and I use it to communicate with people in other time zones. I do hate all the farmville and redundant shit, but you can turn most of it off

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Everyone needs to understand there's a good reason that long-lost friends are long-lost.

^^^^^THIS^^^^

I'm also the guy w/o a cell phone......not because I'm technophobic or have any philosophical problem with them.....but simply because I don't need my place of business to have access to me 24/7....they pay me for a 40 hour week.

I've also been told by my family that I'm a loud phone talker.....especially when speaking to someone overseas(C'mon, it's far away and I NEED to speak louder so they can hear me.)....so I don't want to be THAT guy out in public who annoys the shit out of me by letting everyone within a 50 foot radius what he had for dinner last night or what venereal diseases he just found out he has.

I've also been told by my family that I'm a loud phone talker.....especially when speaking to someone overseas(C'mon, it's far away and I NEED to speak louder so they can hear me.)....so I don't want to be THAT guy out in public who annoys the shit out of me by letting everyone within a 50 foot radius what he had for dinner last night or what venereal diseases he just found out he has.

I'm a loud talker too...not that I necessarily shout, it's just that my voice resonates.

I have a cell phone, but I never have my most involved conversations out in public. That's how you solve THAT problem. Out in the street, my end of a cell-phone convo might consist of "okay," "what time?," "I'll be there in fifteen minutes," "talk to you later," etc.. I'll save the VD discussions for home (or at least a secluded area). END OF THREAD DERAIL

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts

I ride. more in touch with some old friends than ever.

and I LIKE when my friends make some corny "eating crackerjacks and watching Time Bandits" status update. It cracks me up. Because they are my friends.

important detail. if you actually like and know in real life all of your fb friends then it's not at all a nuisance. it's just a big show and tell on the internet. with pictures and ephemera involving people you know and like.

of course having real friends and real connection and interaction with people is infinitely more important and richer in life.

the internet and real life are different.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

you can do both.

1) select 'privacy settings' from the drop down in the 'account' menu
    2) select 'profile information'

there you can see there are a lot of privacy settings you can customize - everything from your status updates to photos tagged of you.

for ex, if you want to block specific people from seeing photos tagged of you, then select "customize" from the drop down menu next to that and either enter specific names of people you want to block from seeing it or actual whole groups (like if you made a group of work people)

when you are done customizing your privacy settings, click on "preview my profile" at the top right and you can enter the name of a person to see how they view your profile.

Just delete the fuckers already.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    TAKES COOL PHOTOS AND POSTS THEM ON FACEBOOK

Yay +1.

edit: By which I meant Edith.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm past the Honeymoon phase with FB... and I think they are jumping the shark as of late, but it's still a great tool for keeping in touch with people, sharing photos and keeping heads updated with SS.

I do also feel that people are becoming desensitized by it. Dude can't return your phone call but can reply to a status update on the quickness?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

So dead on.

^^^^^^^^^^
    MISERY LADY

More of the force-feeding Laker victories and posting inflammatory responses to friend's photos variety. Nothing different from SS.

Yeah, i know a couple Relentless, Disingenuously Humble Self-Promoters (#1) outside of Facebook.