Guru gets grumpy about gangstarr

1235»

Comments

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Come on now, outside of a pete rock remix for jeru here and a decent album cut by big shug/group home/krumbsnatcha there, what are you checking for?

peace,xavier

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    No love for Krumb Snatcha? Premier was his "ex-DJ" too, IIRC.

krumb is not from boston. "lawtown" aka lawrence ma.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    *I like many of Guru's raps from Step in the Arena through Hard to Earn independent of Premier's beats.*

Some of y'all need to be writing that on a chalkboard 500 times.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    No love for Krumb Snatcha? Premier was his "ex-DJ" too, IIRC.

krumb is not from boston. "lawtown" aka lawrence ma.

knowledge dropped. I was kinda kidding about him anyway. I think I saw him referred to as "Boston rhyme sniper Krumb Snatcha" at some point. I might have bought one of his joints back in the day for the Primo instrumental. I know nothing about him as an MC.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Guru is one of those emcees whose lines have been sample/scratched on so many other tracks for chorus/hook pieces. I think that's a good litmus for how respected he is about the wider hip hop community (especially with DJ's). Well, maybe just in backpack circles...

The first handful of GS albums are my shit, and its always a pleasure finding them in the field. I have multiple copies of Daily Operation, Step in the Arena, Hard To Earn and Moment of Truth if any one still needs OGs. Holler

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Boston rhyme sniper

Boston rhyme sniper

I think that might have been an O-dub review in URB.

Just kidding.

It was from a magazine the came out during the early 00's heyday of tepid underground hip-hop.

the early 00's heyday of tepid underground hip-hop.

I'm not gonna lie???I bought this when it came out:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    MARKY MARK
    RONNIE DEVOE[/b]

B.M.O.C.[/b]

Are you kidding? I got tons of 12"s that would make Faux Rillz shit his Brooks Brothers suit pants in a heartbeat.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Are you kidding? I got tons of 12"s that would make Faux Rillz shit his Brooks Brothers suit pants in a heartbeat.

faux_rillz wouldn't be caught dead in brooks brothers

he might, however, admit to once having owned a 7L & esoteric 12"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Come on now, outside of a pete rock remix for jeru here and a decent album cut by big shug/group home/krumbsnatcha there, what are you checking for?

peace,xavier

I like Group Home's second album.

peace,xavier

You should holler at yuichi--maybe form a team.

He once tried to justify his use of the N word by claiming the contested poast was actually a quote from a post-Primo Jeru album. Since no living person other than yuichi had ever heard the album, nobody could contest it (not that his behavior would be excusable, even if his claim were true).

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I have a problem w/ cats rewriting History as Gangstarr is Primo and a boring rapper.

I'm no fan but when you heard dude's voice you knew it was Gangstarr.

I dont think his contribution should be diminished.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

peace,xavier

You should holler at yuichi--maybe form a team.

He once tried to justify his use of the N word by claiming the contested poast was actually a quote from a post-Primo Jeru album. Since no living person other than yuichi had ever heard the album, nobody could contest it (not that his behavior would be excusable, even if his claim were true).

I got no idea why that was mentioned, but...

You need to get familiar with your raps, bald head slick.

Topical dis from Yuichi! What an unexpectedly pleasant way to start the day.

Topical dis from Yuichi! What an unexpectedly pleasant way to start the day.

Yeah, that actually was a refreshingly on point zing from the boy.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

D****,

I understand the reluctance to don the Brooks Brothers suits -- they're a little boxy, and when they're not boxy, they're pleated, and when they're not pleated, they're corny -- but you needn't eschew the entire brand. Some of their dress shirts are perfectly suitable, and they make them in long sleeve lengths, which helps a knuckle-dragging mutant like me.

Just saying,
    JRoot

PS Guru is as much a part of Gang Starr's classic status as Premier. I have no interest in what Guru is up to these days, but those Gang Starr records remain hot.

D****,

I understand the reluctance to don the Brooks Brothers suits -- they're a little boxy, and when they're not boxy, they're pleated, and when they're not pleated, they're corny -- but you needn't eschew the entire brand. Some of their dress shirts are perfectly suitable, and they make them in long sleeve lengths, which helps a knuckle-dragging mutant like me.

Just saying,
    JRoot

Well, you know, I don't usually find short sleeves to be a problem--in fact, I think American manufacturers of dress shirts generally err on the side of making them too long. But then again, maybe I just have freakishly short tyrannosauras-like arms.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Paging Daze Brooks to thread.

Faux, I apologize if I implied that you champion a sub-standard brand of clothing. I am most disconnected from the sartorial skreetz and that was the first name that popped into my head.

PS Guru is as much a part of Gang Starr's classic status as Premier. I have no interest in what Guru is up to these days, but those Gang Starr records remain hot.

Yes. Game Over. Guru was an integral part of those Gang Starr albums, no question. The total is much greater than the sum of their parts. You dis those albums, you dis yourself.

If you like Guru's solo shit, more power to you. To me, he's not dynamic and compelling enough to make me check for his non-Gang Starr shit.

Didn't Daryl Hall go solo for a minute? I can't imagine his post-H&O output being quite as magical as the classic H&O stuff. Or perhaps in my analogy, he's the Primo and not the Guru. hmmm.