Guru gets grumpy about gangstarr

BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Just reads to me like either the interviewer or Guru's PR person didn't explain what the interview was about before it took place.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Funny how he's on about some industry conspiracy... can't a fan ask him about his musical efforts prior to right now?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I'm not trying to hang off Guru's nuts here but I've seen what seems like hundreds of similar interviews with musicians in a comparative situation. Look at any artist who leaves a classic collaboration/group to go on to do new things and they pretty much all want to talk about the now rather than have everything they do compared to their output 20 years ago.

Doesn't make it any more justifiable, just not a surprise.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I like the way Guru refuses to even mention the name of his ex-DJ (Premier), despite the fact that it was his ex-DJ (Premier) that made Guru. I wonder how long he would've kept that up if the interviewer had continued asking him about his days with his ex-DJ (Premier).

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Ouch. Here's a good comment:

The shows are sold out because your fans want to hear Gangstarr music, not this new stuff. It sounds like the stuff that is coming out of Europe right now.

^Faux Rillz posting there?^

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Why would a journalist wanna ask him about Gangstarr in the first place?

What more do u need to hear? Its been covered a million times.

Show some creativity and get beyond the same questions.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    nd I've moved on to join forces with New York City???s brightest producer, visionary film director ???who connects with that next genius producer or the next genius artist. I've been known to do that.
    I've connected with Solar so it is what it is.

Reading this first and then watching his "genius" video made me laugh hard.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    And there are bunch of new fans. See that???s the whole new element that's not being spoken on. There's a whole new 7 Grand fan base that's new and never really knew about Gangstarr - that's learning about Gangstarr from the new material. They get the new material first and then they do the history.

Anyway, I sympathize with him, but really no more than with any other legends generally acknowledged as second bananas (phife, the rest of LONS, U-God) He does sound mega asshurt though..

• U-God

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Just reads to me like either the interviewer or Guru's PR person didn't explain what the interview was about before it took place.

Yup.

It's the 20th anniversary of NMMNG and it???s worth the mention. I just don't think it's that odd that it would come up. Not sure if folks saw/heard Billy Bob Thornton???s band interview on CBC Radio where he pitched a fit for being asked about his acting career.

YOU ARE AN ACTOR.

YOU WERE IN GANGSTARR.

It will come up, deal with it or don???t do interviews. The bigger deal you make of it, the more attention you draw to it, therefore the less I see your point. Just answer it and move on. By acting like asshurt brats, both he and Thronton ended up drawing even more attention to it....the very thing they didn???t want apparently.

Guru:
    ???I'm a legend???

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Yup.

It's the 20th anniversary of NMMNG and it???s worth the mention. I just don't think it's that odd that it would come up. Not sure if folks saw/heard Billy Bob Thornton???s band interview on CBC Radio where he pitched a fit for being asked about his acting career.

YOU ARE AN ACTOR.

YOU WERE IN GANGSTARR.

It will come up, deal with it or don???t do interviews. The bigger deal you make of it, the more attention you draw to it, therefore the less I see your point. Just answer it and move on. By acting like asshurt brats, both he and Thronton ended up drawing even more attention to it....the very thing they didn???t want apparently.

Guru:
    ???I'm a legend???

Everyone here should take a lesson. Referring to YOURSELF as a "legend" makes you sound less than legendary, and more like a complete asshole.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    U-God

Dude was the ninth banana.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I'm still pissed he destroyed all known copies of that Matrix cover.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Yup.

YOU ARE AN ACTOR.

YOU WERE IN GANGSTARR.

Guru:
    ???I'm a legend???

Everyone here should take a lesson. Referring to YOURSELF as a "legend" makes you sound less than legendary, and more like a complete asshole.

Gangstarr being a legendary group =|= Guru is a legend

Also, there's a location up for grabs in that interview:

Now I'm adding another luxurious chapter[/b] to our already great career.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Yes, that is truly a bad look. Especially when you are far and away the less "legendary" member of your legendary group.

The fact that he doesn't want to keep talking about Gang Starr makes me think he realizes that GS was, as we say here, dope despite him not because of him. That I can understand. Any conversation about Gang Starr will inevitably become "Primo! Primio! Primo!"

At the same time, just a little humility would be nice. "I got mad classics" is better than "I'm a legend."

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    He's gonna be shocked when the album comes out and autotune is dead

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    He's gonna be shocked when the album comes out and autotune is dead

I'm pretty sure you can't autotune a monotone, can you?

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts

Yup.

YOU ARE AN ACTOR.

YOU WERE IN GANGSTARR.

Guru:
    ???I'm a legend???

Gangstarr being a legendary group =|= Guru is a legend

I always thought Guru was a pretty boring rapper.

I have a problem w/ cats rewriting History as Gangstarr is Primo and a boring rapper.

I'm no fan but when you heard dude's voice you knew it was Gangstarr.

I dont think his contribution should be diminished.

• Options
    I've heard some of the album- I actually heard the whole album, but I listened to it again today.

Rousing start.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I have a problem w/ cats rewriting History as Gangstarr is Primo and a boring rapper.

I agree. Guru definitely made his own mark. But he's steadily f*cking it off thinking he had anything but 5-6 years of interesting lyrics in him.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    World's Most Dangerous Website: Allhiphop.com.

...when two legends collide!

Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal, indeed.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

I'm not saying he didn't contribute anything to Gang Starr. His voice is unmistakable, of course. However, it's not like he's the greatest MC. If he's not with Primo, I have a hard time caring about him. I'm not going to search online for Guru freestyles over today's hot beats. He was definitely the Art Garfunkel of Gang Starr.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

That's true. His voice is distinctive, and monotone[/b].

That's true. His voice is distinctive, and fantastic. But I just was always bored by the content, and the sound of the voice only goes so far. Listening to somebody spell out 'knowledge' letter by letter is just not that interesting.

See, I think it what he says is more compelling than how he said it, cause dude is technically flat as an mc.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Does anybody know anything SuperProducer Solar ever did besides this new Guru stuff? Without looking it up, serious, what does anybody know about him?

Out of interest I googled him and I ended up on his myspace site. Apparently he has done nothing beside his work for Guru.

BUT, he sampled "House Of The Rising Sung" for one of Guru's tracks.

Interesting. I've never been a fan, but he always came across to me as one of those guys who talks a lot about knowledge of self and uplifting hip hop and all that jazz, but it's not really clear in the end what he knows about himself or what he's really done to make hip hop better besides talk about making hip hop better.

U didn't learn anything from Just To Get A Rep?

Has Lemonade gotten any less popular?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

You know, folks who've been around here a while know that I've criticized Guru a fair bit. I think he began to fall off around Moment Of Truth (which was, still, a great record) and has never stopped.

But Guru was definitely an equal part of Gangstarr and an equal contributor to their classic records. Anything else is really showing your ass.

It seems like a lot of young cats weren't around to hear how those first few records sounded when they dropped, or are quick to forget if they were. One comment on that interview said something to the effect of "I was 12 or 13 when I bought Hard To Earn" and then proceeded to diss Guru. I mean, back when I was getting into Gangstarr around Step Into The Arena and Daily Operation Guru was DOPE, and widely considered to be one of the best. Personally, I wanted to rhyme just like that dude. I think dissing those records is real wack, dudes are playing themselves behind that shit.

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts

guru is so under rated. not caught up in metaphors, no gimmicky bs in his content like most 90s mcs. i think a big reason for this is his age.

timeless flow, i can go back and listen and shit does not sound dated.

'I can see clearly cuz the rain is gone, the pain is gone...but what you did was still wrong" grown man raps.

2nd, 3rd,4th, 5th lps are heat.
    top 10 goat.

You know, folks who've been around here a while know that I've criticized Guru a fair bit. I think he began to fall off around Moment Of Truth (which was, still, a great record) and has never stopped.

But Guru was definitely an equal part of Gangstarr and an equal contributor to their classic records. Anything else is really showing your ass.

It seems like a lot of young cats weren't around to hear how those first few records sounded when they dropped, or are quick to forget if they were. One comment on that interview said something to the effect of "I was 12 or 13 when I bought Hard To Earn" and then proceeded to diss Guru. I mean, back when I was getting into Gangstarr around Step Into The Arena and Daily Operation Guru was DOPE, and widely considered to be one of the best. Personally, I wanted to rhyme just like that dude. I think dissing those records is real wack, dudes are playing themselves behind that shit.

If one was to write a book on Black Power Rapp, Guru would be right there w/ the rest of the big names.