Guru gets grumpy about gangstarr

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Rapping is about how much ill knowledge you can cram into your verses? About technique like Twista or Monch or Divine Styler?

It's about spitting fly shit. Guru was fly (ll). And he dropped plenty of gems, if you were listening.

Dudes are looking at this hip-hop shit through strange glasses these days, for real.

• Not sure if folks saw/heard Billy Bob Thornton???s band interview on CBC Radio where he pitched a fit for being asked about his acting career.

YOU ARE AN ACTOR.

YOU WERE IN GANGSTARR.

It will come up, deal with it or don???t do interviews. The bigger deal you make of it, the more attention you draw to it, therefore the less I see your point. Just answer it and move on. By acting like asshurt brats, both he and Thronton ended up drawing even more attention to it....the very thing they didn???t want apparently.

Guru:
    ???I'm a legend???

Good call, bassie. The Billy Bob asshurtedness fiasco was the first thing I thought of before I clicked on this link...I think the funnier thing is that both Billy Bob and Guru actually believe that people are checking out their (new) "music" soley on it's merits alone - rather than knowing them beforehand from either the silver screen or gangstarr...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Has Lemonade gotten any less popular?

No discussion of Guru is complete without a reference to that line.

And to answer your question, no. Lemonade is still quite popular.

that seems really nitpicky about a totally classic record!

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Has Lemonade gotten any less popular?

No discussion of Guru is complete without a reference to that line.

And to answer your question, no. Lemonade is still quite popular.

but does Guru still have more props and stunts than Bruce Willis? How many props and stunts does Bruce Willis have these days? Why won't Guru address these issues in an interview?

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    I feel that. As an mc def. not top ten of all time.

But we can agree that dude has classics, more so than many of the g.o.a.t. Mc's - right?

Btw, haven't alot of those gangstarr records gone gold by now?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

Money was scared so he panicked
    Took off his link and his rings and ran frantic

that's a forced example of forcing a rhyme.

as a rapper, he's def. playing in the NBA--but is he in NYC's starting lineup?

dude I don't even watch basketball anymore, but the Knicks were 32-50 this year.

he could definitely start.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I'm still shaking my head at this bit:

"Boston has been a bit kind of funny you know. They don't want to give you that hero's welcome that I deserve."

Frantic is supposed to be frantically and everybody knows it, and Guru just does it wrong to make it rhyme. Could he not take 5 minutes to think about it and revise so that it works properly?

just wanted to make sure you didn't go back and edit this out.

are you serious?

Gramatical corrections on "Just To Get A Rep"... smh

wow

• It's not a grammatical correction. Guru's not making a grammatical mistake. He's contriving the grammar to make things rhyme. It comes across contrived. Doye.
    What a geek.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Hemol?

LOL

I suppose you're poring over the yellow pages looking for dudes actually named "Money?"

that's a good rapping rhyme dude come on

bad art.

it could just be that he was rapping.

oh man.

SOULSTRUT!!!

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    yo! Guru you need to go back to Morehouse and re-register for English comp I and II....I am just saying though..

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Yeah, thanks unclesanchez for taking this thread down a truly strange road. I will be hitting refresh frantically for the rest of the work day. Unless something more interesting comes up.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Believe that everything he wrote is absolute perfection if you prefer.

I don't see where anyone said this or anything close to it.

This is straight comedy.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    If you really don't feel that, I'm sceptical of your own appreciation of style.
    The feeling is mutual.

Dude, the pacing and the phonetics in that line are fantastic: the four short "i"s (his/link/his/rings) accelerating into the two open "a"s (ran/frantic), smacking into the hard stop at the end, that hard "c"? Shit like that hits my ear as the definition of style.

I mean, if you don't like it, you don't like it, and that's fine. But your objections as you've voiced them here seem myopic, and far too paper-based to have much real bearing on the evaluation of a sound recording.

sceptical

alarm and siren!...walk across the room to read the tickertape that just spat out of my HipHopHistoriTron3000XL(mkII): "EUROMAN REVEALED: RAP OPINION NULLIFIED. DEFAULT SETTINGS RESTORED."

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    It's not a grammatical correction. Guru's not making a grammatical mistake. He's contriving the grammar to make things rhyme. It comes across contrived. Doye.

Dude...........

You know, I'm just going to leave this thread now.

Also, I believe it's "but shorty said nah, pulled the trigger and stepped."

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Guru's lyrics were always on point.

"Cause I'm mad like a pit when my man says, "sick 'em" Positive is the mindstate, but it could still mean that. I will kick a ill, malicious like mean rap"

Also, I believe it's "but shorty said nah, pulled the trigger and stepped."

i'm sceptical

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    incredible

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Whatevs.