Remakes that are better than the orginal song..

12346»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Giving Up

Hathaway or Gladys Knight?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Mr. Tambourine Man

Con Funk Shun > Byrds > Dylan

Season of the Witch

Lou Rawls > Bloomfield, Cooper Stills > Julie Driscoll > Terry Reid > Donovan

Light My Fire

Rhetta Hughes > + 20(x) > Doors

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sunshine of your love Whole Lotta Love[/b]
    CCS > Cream LZ and any progenitors[/b]

Ain't no sunshine
    Michael Sivuka[/b] > bill

A favorite song of mine.
    I have a 90 minute tape of just some of the versions I like.

Sivuca is not one of them. Too fast and jaggedy.

Not sure if I have a favorite, but Roland Kirk's is fun.
    Maybe Willis Jackson (Harlem Underground) is my favorite.

• Im gonna need help from every strutter that feels like I do, and I know you are out there...anybody feel like Donny Hathaway is a tad overrated? I get it, but it doesnt really move me like some folks...some folks think he hung the moon, but me...ehhhhhh....

I don't think he's overrated so much as uneven.

While I think he's a lot more listenable than Roberta Flack (who had a similar sound), I have never heard a Hathaway elpee that was good all the way through. There was always this trying-too-hard vibe I get from him, like he was attempting to be sophisticated and lowdown all at once.

There's a whole lot of skiparounds on his albums, but if you strung the good tracks together (and threw in "This Christmas," "Where Is The Love" [w/Flack], and the theme from Maude as bonuses), the hype would be justified.

• I have never heard a Hathaway elpee that was good all the way through

I listen to "Everything is Everything" and the Live album straight through without the slightest desire to skip. Later albums, some tracks get skipped.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    God Only Knows - PP Arnold > Beach Boys

I never heard that version, but her version of "The First Cut Is The Deepest" is better than the original Cat Stevens version, in my opinion.

Absolutely. I played this for some friends the other day, and one of them thought it was a great cover of that Sheryl Crow song.

• I listen to "Everything is Everything" and the Live album straight through without the slightest desire to skip.

and the Prophets of Soul do a cool version of Ain't No Sunshine on their Gregory James Edition album

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    "Easy"
    Faith No More > Commodores

Am I joking?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

and the Prophets of Soul Gregory James Edition do a cool version of
    Ain't No Sunshine on their Gregory James Edition Prophets of Soul album

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Sunshine Of Your Love - Spanky Wilson > Cream

And yes, again I like both versions but the way Spanky/HB Barnum flipped it is fantastic

• Nico - These Days > Jackson Browne

• nico's these days in an all time fave!!
    haven't even heard jackson brown version!!

• Jackson Browne still gets all sorts of respect for writing that song when he was 16. That's the kind of feat that's humbling to anyone trying to record music.

• She's A Rainbow - Rolling Stones > She Comes In Colors - Love

• She's A Rainbow - Rolling Stones > She Comes In Colors - Love

i think this thread is about entire songs. not one random lyric.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    She's A Rainbow - Rolling Stones > She Comes In Colors - Love

Wrong.

And "She Comes in Colors" is like a top 5 Love song ... while "She's a Rainbow"
    is like the 1224th best Rolling Stones song.

• chimachima 33 Posts
    I dont want to say better but at least equal..

Stevie Wonder - Blowin In The Wind
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q-owh9pkSc

• chimachima 33 Posts
    Byron Lee - My Sweet Lord

• Byron Lee - My Sweet Lord

the side-long nina simone version slays them all

• I've been looking for this for years. Never heard it but folks rave about it

b/w

Song of Leonard Cohen is one of my favorite albums. There aren't too many covers of that stuff that I would take over his OGs

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I've been looking for this for years. Never heard it but folks rave about it

b/w

Song of Leonard Cohen is one of my favorite albums. There aren't too many covers of that stuff that I would take over his OGs

Like Dylan, I think most any cover of a Cohen song is going to better than the original. I guess I just like singers who can express the melody.

Famous Blue Raincoat is hard to find and raved about because audiophiles put such a premium on the audiorecording, not the music.

It is very understated and was not memorable to me.
    Maybe it just didn't live up to the hype.