Remakes that are better than the orginal song..

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Can we agree that Donny's take on "Jealous Guy" > Lennon's OG?

I don't even like Lennon's version.

Love Hathaway's version.

Also, Marianne Faithful's version of Working Class Hero is much better than Lennon's.

• Bobby Womack, the Isley Brothers, and Gladys Knight & the Pips all did "Fire & Rain" better than James Taylor

Well hell, let's put up "Spinning Wheel" for that discussion then.

Not the same thing. I'm sticking with the Blood, Sweat & Tears OG on that one, and even then it had to grow on me. Unlistenable from anyone else.

Except maybe Sammy Davis, Jr..

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Bobby Womack, the Isley Brothers, and Gladys Knight & the Pips all did "Fire & Rain" better than James Taylor

Well hell, let's put up "Spinning Wheel" for that discussion then.

Not the same thing. I'm sticking with the Blood, Sweat & Tears OG on that one, and even then it had to grow on me. Unlistenable from anyone else.

Except maybe Sammy Davis, Jr..
    Shirley Bassey might be my fave version of Spinning Wheel, not sure though since it's been a while. Man, I love that song.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    like this better than the elton og.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    everyone > bs&t

• Can we agree that Donny's take on "Jealous Guy" > Lennon's OG?

I don't even like Lennon's version.

Love Hathaway's version.

Also, Marianne Faithful's version of Working Class Hero is much better than Lennon's.

seeing the lennon stuff made me think of her version. it is better.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft"
    Carpenters>Klaatu

Carpenters

BANGIN RETARDEDEST DRUMS
    >
    BOWIE'S

Southern Man

Merry Clayton > Neil Young

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    LANGLEY

+

BANGIN RETARDEDEST DRUMS
    >
    BOWIE'S

Years later, I still cram to understand why folks have so much love for a record of a kids chorus. I have to think its for the novelty value, which is why its so weird to me that it still gets mentioned.

It sounds like absolute hell to me.

• I don't even like Lennon's version.
    Love Hathaway's version.

cosine.

On a different tack, i.e. OG's that kick-ass, I always thought Curtis' Freddie's Dead was the shit until I heard Pucho's version...scorcher.

LANGLEY

+

BANGIN RETARDEDEST DRUMS
    >
    BOWIE'S

Years later, I still cram to understand why folks have so much love for a record of a kids chorus. I have to think its for the novelty value, which is why its so weird to me that it still gets mentioned.

It sounds like absolute hell to me.

i liked it immediately. it could use some mellotron though.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    What is hard (especially for my generation) is to find a Beatles cover that is better than the original.

How about Ike and Tina- Come Together?

• Nina Simone "To Love somebody" > Bee Gees

huge cosign, its one of the very best covers of all time IMO. devastating track.

• cutie[/b]

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    Southern Man

her version is kinda tepid. nice loopz at the intro. neil slays this track...period.

• Southern Man

her version is kinda tepid. nice loopz at the intro. neil slays this track...period.

Has anybody ever heard the Dave Clark Five's version?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Southern Man

Has anybody ever heard the Dave Clark Five's version?

Anyone catch the big DC5 article in MOJO last month?

AWESOME

He had his business head screwed on very well indeed, old Dave.
    But then he's from Tottenham, so it figures.

Southern Man

Of course Neil's version is excellent. You'd have a hard time finding more of Neil fanboy--he's easily one of my top 5 composers/musicians.

Neil wrote two very important songs related to politics and culture in the south that were (are) very effective indictments: Alabama and Southern Man. While I'm partial to the achy humid sound of the Stray Gators record, Southern Man is the most effective song lyrically. Neil is convincing and powerful on the lp version and I have a couple of live versions that are just incredible. However, hearing the same song performed by a black woman from NO gives it another level of effectiveness.

I don't give a F*ck about loopz.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Can we agree that Donny's take on "Jealous Guy" > Lennon's OG?

Yes we can!

• Im gonna need help from every strutter that feels like I do, and I know you are out there...anybody feel like Donny Hathaway is a tad overrated? I get it, but it doesnt really move me like some folks...some folks think he hung the moon, but me...ehhhhhh....

55 pager

TEH BAN

Im gonna need help from every strutter that feels like I do, and I know you are out there...anybody feel like Donny Hathaway is a tad overrated? I get it, but it doesnt really move me like some folks...some folks think he hung the moon, but me...ehhhhhh....

55 pager

TEH BAN

Overrated as what? Singer, musician, composer, lyricist or arranger?

• Im gonna need help from every strutter that feels like I do, and I know you are out there...anybody feel like Donny Hathaway is a tad overrated? I get it, but it doesnt really move me like some folks...some folks think he hung the moon, but me...ehhhhhh....

55 pager

TEH BAN

overall as an artist...a lot folks say his name in the same breath as Stevie, Marvin and Curtis, whereas I dont see him anywhere in their league

55 pager

TEH BAN

overall as an artist...a lot folks say his name in the same breath as Stevie, Marvin and Curtis, whereas I dont see him anywhere in their league

Maybe overrated amongst SS/Crate digger types, vastly underrated by everyone else.

55 pager

TEH BAN

Maybe overrated amongst SS/Crate digger types, vastly underrated by everyone else.

true...I am speaking in strut nerd terms

Im gonna need help from every strutter that feels like I do, and I know you are out there...anybody feel like Donny Hathaway is a tad overrated? I get it, but it doesnt really move me like some folks...some folks think he hung the moon, but me...ehhhhhh....

55 pager

TEH BAN

His output does hold up to the best of those artists. However, his overall output is relatively small due to his mental health issues and early death. So I would not put him in same league.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    For the small amount of output compared to his era, dude is acknowledged by his contemporaries and cats that followed as a gigantic influence on Soul/R&B.

Yeah - lil dudes will continue to stumble across him and make him bigger than life 'cause he's not on T.V. pimpin his own songs w/ the Jonas Brothers.

I terms of vocals whether u think he overdoes it sometimes, dude is a vocalist's vocalist.

Hathaway = Penny Hardaway

• Sunshine of your love
    CCS > Cream

Ain't no sunshine
    Michael > bill

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
    IBB > IB

Another Brick in the Wall

Snatch > The Pink Floyd

"Yes, you need an education!"

• Sunshine of your love