Remakes that are better than the orginal song..

Hoosier_DaddyHoosier_Daddy 141 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Jimi Hendrix-All Along The WatchtowerJimi Hendrix-Hey JoeIsley Brothers-Summer Breeze (especially the live versions i've heard)Isaac Hayes-Walk On By

Comments

• Isley Brothers - Ohio, Spill that wine

• Marlena Shaw - California Soul

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Nina Simone's version of 'House of the Rising Sun" blows every other version away....

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    marlena shaw's "wade in the water" amps it up to 11.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    El Chicano: Viva Tirado > Gerald Wilson's OG

Aretha: SatisfactionRespect > Otis Redding

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    the Flo-Rida version of Dead or Alive 'You Spin Me Right Round'

lulz

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Sublime - Scarlet Begonias

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Marvin Gaye's Grapevine > Gladys Knight's.

FAIL

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Isley Brothers - Ohio, Spill that wine

FAIL

Marvin's vocals/execution kill Gladys Knight's paint by numbers steez.

• Marvin Gaye's Grapevine > Gladys Knight's.

FAIL

Wrong on so many levels, including the fact that no matter how great Marvin's version is, the drums on the Gladys 45 (hugely underrated) eat it ALIVE.

FAIL

Wrong on so many levels, including the fact that no matter how great Marvin's version is, the drums on the Gladys 45 (hugely underrated) eat it ALIVE.

Typical "Funky Blackman Soul" perspective.

Norman's smoothed out version does a better job at hightlighting the story and lyrics. Gladys and them's version is cookie cutter to me.

Ayo I can understand feeling Marvin's version more,
    but plaese to stop calling Gladys Knight "cookie cutter"

Ayo I can understand felling Marvin's version more,
    but plaese to stop calling Gladys Knight "cookie cutter"

No doubt.

But id like to know if their version was THAT SHIT when it dropped.
    If it was THAT single how could Motown and them even think about tinkering.

Yeah I know they let the roster cover each others songs, but Marvin's more POP freindly version pretty much made Gladys and them strike it from their repertoire.

Even if that doesnt determine the better version.

This Motown classic about a man who finds out his woman is cheating on him was written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong. Strong came up with the idea, and asked Motown writers Holland/Dozier/Holland to work on it with him. They refused to credit another writer, so Strong took it to Whitfield, who helped put it together.

Whitfield and Strong recorded this with Gaye in 1967, but could not convince Motown head Berry Gordy to release it. He chose Holland/Dozier/Holland's "Your Unchanging Love" over this as Gaye's next single.

When Gordy refused to release Gaye's version, Whitfield recorded it with a new Motown singer, Gladys Knight. He got her version released, and it became a #2 hit in the US, which led Gordy to reconsider and release Gaye's version.

Whitfield and Strong wrote several other Motown hits, including "Ain't Too Proud To Beg," "Just My Imagination," and "Money (That's What I Want)."

This is the longest running Motown #1 hit. It topped the US chart for 7 weeks.

This was Gaye's first #1 hit. He had another 5 years later with "Let's Get It On."

Creedence Clearwater Revival released an 11-minute version in 1970. It was one of the few songs CCR recorded that they didn't write.

In 1987, this got new life when it was used in commercials for California Raisins, with claymation raisins performing the song. In addition to boosting raisin sales, The California Raisins became an '80s fad, and were the most popular Halloween costume that year.

The version by Gladys Knight and The Pips was released first, but they were the fourth act to record it, after Smokey Robinson & The Miracles (who later released it on their Special Occasion LP), The Isley Brothers (their version is still unreleased) and Marvin Gaye. Gladys Knight & The Pips were surprised that Gaye's version was released so soon after theirs. They viewed it as Motown promoting Gaye over them and relegating them to second-tier status. (thanks, Brad Wind - Miami, FL)

Gaye sang this slightly higher than his normal range, which created the strained vocal. Whitfield, who produced this, made him do it over and over until he got it right.
    [/b]

Pips is the remake.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i thought the thread was titled "remakes that are better than the og"???
    marvin's version came out before gladys knights. the miracles were the first to record the song so...
    marvin>gladys>miracles

i thought the thread was titled "remakes that are better than the og"???
    marvin's version came out before gladys knights. the miracles were the first to record the song so...
    marvin>gladys>miracles

FAIL.

Marvin's version was recorded first, but Gladys Knight's came out first.

Another 1967 single, "I Heard It Through the Grapevine", provided a career-making breakthrough. "Grapevine" became a #2 pop hit on the Billboard Hot 100 and a #1 R&B hit for six weeks. The record sold 2.5 million copies, and at the time (Gladys Knight's version) was Motown's best-selling single ever

Producer Norman Whitfield recorded four versions of the song with various artists for potential single release; Knight and the Pips' version was the only one that Motown chief Berry Gordy did not veto. In late 1968, "Grapevine" would become an even bigger hit for Marvin Gaye, whose version, recorded before Knight's but released a year afterwards at Whitfield's insistence, became a #1 pop hit for seven weeks.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    release date related i guess. shit... i just checked wikipedia and stand corrected but marvin did RECORD his first.

who cares about this release date - chart position - wiki shit anyway?

it comes down to which you think is better. I am fully down with Marvin,
    but I play and listen to the Gladys Knight jammie more.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    who cares about this release date - chart position - wiki shit anyway?

it comes down to which you think is better. I am fully down with Marvin,
    but I play and listen to the Gladys Knight jammie more.
    hahaha-damn m*rk. the grapevine authority hath spoken.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i like marvins "remake" more.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Aretha: Satisfaction > Otis Redding
    I know you meant to type "Respect" right?

FAIL

Norman's smoothed out version does a better job at hightlighting the story and lyrics. Gladys and them's version is cookie cutter to me.

See, I don't look at it as a dramatic reading. It's a record, and while Marvin's is way sexy, and has a grip on the 'Big Chill' groupthink consciousness, the Gladys version is by far the superior record. It's positively explosive, instrumentally, vocally (I'd put Gladys up as one of the two or three finest female voices on Motown) and as a total package.
    Nothing "funky blackman soul" about it, especially when you consider the newjack funky blackman soul revisionism behind the Marvin is king schtick.

• Bobby Womack, the Isley Brothers, and Gladys Knight & the Pips all did "Fire & Rain" better than James Taylor

George Harrison's "Got My Mind Set On You" sons the shit out of James Ray's

The Human Beinz did "Nobody But Me" better than the Isleys

The Swamp Rats took the Sonics'"Psycho" to the next phase

and who needs Etta's old-timey "At Last" when you got Beyonce? (KIDDING!!)[/b]

• geico commercial > rockwell

I'm just being funny, but that remake is kind of hot.

FAIL

See, I don't look at it as a dramatic reading. It's a record, and while Marvin's is way sexy, and has a grip on the 'Big Chill' groupthink consciousness, the Gladys version is by far the superior record. It's positively explosive, instrumentally, vocally (I'd put Gladys up as one of the two or three finest female voices on Motown) and as a total package.
    Nothing "funky blackman soul" about it, especially when you consider the newjack funky blackman soul revisionism behind the Marvin is king schtick.

The Big Chill did hurt its luster, but The Pips version being "explosive" sounds very "Blackmansoul" to me. More "explosive" than Wilson Picket's Funky Broadway?

Of the first four versions produced by Norman Whitfield, only the Gaye version makes pain and confusion a clear part of the texture: [/b]

FAIL

The Big Chill did hurt its luster, but The Pips version being "explosive" sounds very "Blackmansoul" to me. More "explosive" than Wilson Picket's Funky Broadway?

Of the first four versions produced by Norman Whitfield, only the Gaye version makes pain and confusion a clear part of the texture: [/b]

So soul records aren't allowed to be exciting anymore because it implies some kind of negative racial subtext (unless your implying something else that I'm not picking up)?

B/W

I didn't know we were comparing Gladys Knight & the Pip's version of 'Grapevine' to Pickett's version of 'Funky Broadway'.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Has anyone said Spanky Wilson - Sunshien of Your Love yet?

I'm sure the Cream fans are gonna come falling out the f*cking closet, but I'll be damned if Spanky's cover doesn't shit all over the original.

FAIL

So soul records aren't allowed to be exciting anymore because it implies some kind of negative racial subtext (unless your implying something else that I'm not picking up)?

B/W

I didn't know we were comparing Gladys Knight & the Pip's version of 'Grapevine' to Pickett's version of 'Funky Broadway'.

and has a grip on the 'Big Chill' groupthink consciousness

Same subtext right?

and we'll have to just disagree on the "explosive" idea.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Baltimore

Tamlins > Nina Simone > Randy Newman