Etta James wants to kick Beyonce's ass...

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

So will Jay drop a subliminal on Etta ass in his next tune?
    etta has that ether for his ass

• Pickwick: Dude, do you REALLY think Beyonce didn't know who Etta was until the movie or are you being facetious? 'Cause that honestly sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

okay, im quite sure that beyonce had a working knowledge of who the lady is

but if she actually listened to Etta's music before she started work on Cadillac I'd be surprised

not that im dumping on Beyonce for not being a blazing blues shouter, but i just sorta get that vibe that etta wasnt on her personal playist prior to the flick

• Pickwick: Dude, do you REALLY think Beyonce didn't know who Etta was until the movie or are you being facetious? 'Cause that honestly sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

okay, im quite sure that beyonce had a working knowledge of who the lady is

but if she actually listened to Etta's music before she started work on Cadillac I'd be surprised

not that im dumping on Beyonce for not being a blazing blues shouter, but i just sorta get that vibe that etta wasnt on her personal playist prior to the flick

Dude, it's ETTA. Sorority girls get married to her shit!

• WHO LET GRANNY ON THE MIC AGAIN?
    SHE'S GOIN CRAZY TALKN SHIT ON EVERYBODY, EVEN BARACK!

• i will bet yall $5 that Beyonce did NOT know who Etta James was before she had to know who she was. dude, Beyonce dumb as a bag of rocks. i'm sure she recognized the song but didn't really know who sang it. sheeeeeeiiit, i gotta admit I didn't know that Etta james sang that song until relatively recently. it's honestly not a song that i heard a lot growing up, as opposed to all the motown hits and aretha and stevie and al green etc. if it wasn't for me digging for Etta james braeks i don't know how familiar i'd be with her... all i know to this day is her braeks and "at last" and cadillac records and heroin and her whuppin' beyonce's azz...

• Alright, now all we need is Beyonce to show up and answer a few questions and we'll have our answer.

I grew up knowing who Etta James was just through people talking about how great Etta James was. It wasn't necessarily the same way you know Stevie Wonder or Al Green from hearing the shit at parties and on radio and out of cars, but anyone talking about which old artists influenced them or whatever Etta James was a hip name to drop. Long before I was into records or even heard the lady's music.

Her specific version of "At Last" is on 95% of wedding request lists I ever get, so people definitely know who the woman is. I'd imagine she got some play in the Knowles household?

Herm: sounds vaguely like the line "A wise man said don't argue with fools/cause people from a distance can't tell who is who".

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Apparently James says she was jokin about "kickin Beyonce's Ass.."

NY Post reports....

I dont read the POST but NY1 showed the article.

Didnt Beyonce put up money for Cadallac Records movie?

How would she NOT know who James is, and put up her dollars on an unknown artist?

"Hey Beyonce, there's a script floating around about Marvin Gaye. they want you to play Kim Weston..."

"Who???...uh....F*ck it I need the work.."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    My guess is that Beyonce knew who James was but didn???t know her history, and Beyonce wouldn???t be alone in this. My other guess is that Beyonce still doesn???t really know her history, she probably went as deep as the scripts and some Cole???s notes the PA put together for her. Which is why she didn???t get why so ill-suited she is to the role. Whether she has the class that if she did recognize it to say, ???You know what, I???m not the best person for this role, I???m going to decline.???, I don???t know.

I am reminded of a successful and working reggae DJ here in town who was asked to play before, in-between and after sets at a pretty big ska show. Ska is not this person???s interest or regular set and so s/he had to borrow music for the gig. From another DJ. Just because you can, doesn???t mean you should.

• I know for a fact from first hand experience that Etta James is GANGSTER TO THE CORE!!!!!!!!!!

details, plaese...

My guess is that Beyonce knew who James was but didn???t know her history, and Beyonce wouldn???t be alone in this. My other guess is that Beyonce still doesn???t really know her history, she probably went as deep as the scripts and some Cole???s notes the PA put together for her. Which is why she didn???t get why so ill-suited she is to the role. Whether she has the class that if she did recognize it to say, ???You know what, I???m not the best person for this role, I???m going to decline.???, I don???t know.

I am reminded of a successful and working reggae DJ here in town who was asked to play before, in-between and after sets at a pretty big ska show. Ska is not this person???s interest or regular set and so s/he had to borrow music for the gig. From another DJ. Just because you can, doesn???t mean you should.

At this point, dont you think there were people involved w/ makin that movie who had stories of James life back then, that Beyonce could draw from. I cant see her doin that role JUST from what was in the script.

There had to be old music dudes or at least well informed young cats would could give her some hints on James back then.

And I would also think she was given albums to research Etta's Voice/phrasings/etc, even if she's no where in the galaxy in terms of vocals.

I just dont see her getting involved in this movie by listening to At Last once and then putting on a wig.

Dudes like Jeffery Wright are real thespians and I would imagine him getting involved w/ something of substance even if it the accounts/potrayals are smoothed over.

Were there no Chess Records historians involved at all?

• My guess is that Beyonce knew who James was but didn???t know her history, and Beyonce wouldn???t be alone in this. My other guess is that Beyonce still doesn???t really know her history, she probably went as deep as the scripts and some Cole???s notes the PA put together for her. Which is why she didn???t get why so ill-suited she is to the role. Whether she has the class that if she did recognize it to say, ???You know what, I???m not the best person for this role, I???m going to decline.???, I don???t know.

At this point, dont you think there were people involved w/ makin that movie who had stories of James life back then, that Beyonce could draw from. I cant see her doin that role JUST from what was in the script.

There had to be old music dudes or at least well informed young cats would could give her some hints on James back then.

And I would also think she was given albums to research Etta's Voice/phrasings/etc, even if she's no where in the galaxy in terms of vocals.

I just dont see her getting involved in this movie by listening to At Last once and then putting on a wig.

Dudes like Jeffery Wright are real thespians and I would imagine him getting involved w/ something of substance even if it the accounts/potrayals are smoothed over.

Were there no Chess Records historians involved at all?

According to Mr. Dillon, who was originally cast as Leonard, the knowledge level of the movie makers was slim to none. That is why he dropped out of the movie, he didnt feel it was going to be authentic enough (he said the filmakers were not concerned about facts and authenticity at all, but then again Matt is a music nerd, so he probably had loftier ideas about music based filmaking). I am not Chess expert by any stretch of the imagination, but Matt told me, after asking me some questions about Chess and Checker releases, that I knew more about Chess than the filmakers...and that is sad...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I think I read somewhere that B's research on Etta inspired her to want to become 'a great for the ages' rather than simply a hitmaking pop star...

hence the creation of the 'Sasha Fierce' album

I shit you not

I think I read somewhere that B's research on Etta inspired her to want to become 'a great for the ages' rather than simply a hitmaking pop star...

I shit you not

• I think I read somewhere that B's research on Etta inspired her to want to become 'a great for the ages' rather than simply a hitmaking pop star...

I shit you not

So her research included a handful of LSD??

• Why so much blah blah blah?

• Why so much blah blah blah?

seriously

lol Maybe because this is tailor-made to SStrut???s interests?

A blues/soul pillar not getting her dues
    Was the inaugural ball the right venue for said pillar to be getting dues?
    A scrappy blues/soul singer getting testy
    A scrappy blues/soul singer threatening to whup Beyonce
    A scrappy blues/soul singer dismissing Obama
    A movie made about a record label with flimsy knowledge behind it and questionable casting
    Old vs new
    Wedding gigs
    Obama
    Shig

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    not enough shoe-related content

• lol Maybe because this is tailor-made to SStrut???s interests?

A movie made about a record label with flimsy knowledge behind it and questionable casting
    Old vs new
    Wedding gigs
    Obama
    Shig

it is possible to become impervious to soulstrut catnip

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Etta makes good sense here:

"James said she was "feeling left out of something that was basically mine, that I had done every time you look around."

She said she liked Beyonc??'s performance, but when asked if she thought she could have done better, James answered, "I think so. That's a shame to say that.""

Sayin!

I mean, Obama could have invited Jamiriquoi to sing "Signed, Sealed and Delivered." I doubt a single person here would have cosigned as being a good idea. Don't know why Beyonce gets the pass.

have you seen her thighs?

So how come Bikini Girl didn't make it out of Hollywood week?

I like Beyonce but outside the cynical, I can't see anyone could suggest she was the more appropriate person to sing the song than Etta. If James was too raunchy for the balls (which I find a suspect opinion; as if Etta can't play nice when the occasion counts), *pick a new song*. Do "We're a Winner"!

• lol Maybe because this is tailor-made to SStrut???s interests?

Old vs new
    Wedding gigs
    Obama
    Shig

it is possible to become impervious to soulstrut catnip

sayin though

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    too raunchy for the balls

lol - cripes! you know, I thought she was half-decent the first time, but sounded thin after that. there was more fliritng than singing.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Aretha was good at the inag - why the hate?

She was terrible at the inauguration.

Aretha was good at the inag - why the hate?

She was terrible at the inauguration.

But her bow was awesome!

I thought Aretha was fine but yeah, it's not 1968 anymore.