Etta James wants to kick Beyonce's ass...

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    too raunchy for the balls

I was about to highlight that gem too.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I like Beyonce but outside the cynical, I can't see anyone could suggest she was the more appropriate person to sing the song than Etta. If James was too raunchy for the balls (which I find a suspect opinion; as if Etta can't play nice when the occasion counts), *pick a new song*. Do "We're a Winner"!

I dont think it was an either-or situation. I bet they chose Beyonce w/out even considering James.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I bet they chose Beyonce to sing and then picked the song. Too bad they couldn't have gotten Beyonce's band back together for a timely rendition of "Bills Bills Bills."

• Aretha won out over etta for the token old singer at the inauguration...

Aretha won out over etta for the token old singer at the inauguration...

exacltee

• Aretha won out over etta for the token old singer at the inauguration...

exacltee

and it was a bad decision as Aretha was awful...they should have had beyonce sing the patriotic stuff and had etta sing "At last"...my 2

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Beyonce has been a successful singer for many years now. If I remember she got her first hits when she was a teen. She has a good voice, better than most new pop singers I hear. [disclaimer: I don't hear very many.]

My guess is she not only listens to, but studies, many great singers of the past. Not just the recent past, and not just the ones people here listen to.

Most singers, male and female, pop, soul, jazz, opera study:
    Frank Sinatra
    Jimmy Scott
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Louis Armstrong.
    Nat Cole.

On top of that list it makes sense that she would also give a listen to people like Etta James, BB King, Willie Nelson...

I know that being a pop star involves luck and marketing. But staying on top involves talent and hard work.
    She has demonstrated both to me.

I have seen Etta live at least 4 times, maybe more. Sometimes she says nasty things about Rod Stewart stealing her song before singing Blind Girl. It's part of her shtick.

Any way lets keep this thread going.

Lets talk about Little Richard dissing Elvis.
    Chuck Berry dissing the Beatles.
    Bonnie Bramlete dissing Elvis.
    Bo Diddly dissing Buddy Holly.
    And Mick Jagger dissing Steven Tyler. "That dude stole my lips!".

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I bet they chose Beyonce to sing and then picked the song. Too bad they couldn't have gotten Beyonce's band back together for a timely rendition of "Bills Bills Bills."

Who is they?

The last criteria for selecting some one to organize the ball was their music knowledge. All they had to do was filter through the list of celebrities asking to do the ball and select the ones who were on their ipod.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Who is they?

the Free Masons, duh

• essential heads?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Who is they?

The last criteria for selecting some one to organize the ball was their music knowledge. All they had to do was filter through the list of celebrities asking to do the ball and select the ones who were on their ipod.

I haven't devoted a lot of thought as to who "they" may be. Honestly don't really care about the pomp and circumstance. I watched the inauguration, but didn't tune into the balls.

I like Beyonce. Etta James made good music, but I can't really understand why she would call attention to herself in this manner, her "schtick" be damned.

• It's amazing to me that people are really saying James should've been called on to sing instead of Beyonce. This isn't anything like getting Jamiroquai instead of Stevie Wonder...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    It's amazing to me that people are really saying James should've been called on to sing instead of Beyonce. This isn't anything like getting Jamiroquai instead of Stevie Wonder...

To me, the issue is not 'should they have had Beyonce sing', it's how bad sour grapes sounds from legendary figures. You would think at Etta James' age she would be able to see the forest for the trees on stuff like this. But human nature is a bitch.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Do you think anyone would get a pass for playing a cover instead of the og at a wedding's first dance?

• If the couple didn't specify which artist sang it? Sure.

In my entire history of DJing weddings I've never had anyone be unspecific with their first dance request.

This is missing the forest for the trees - they didn't book Beyonce to sing "At Last", they booked Beyonce, period. Then, they probably decided on the song which made sense to sing because a) it has meaning to the event and b) Beyonce just cut a version of it for the Cadillac Records movie.

I MEAN WHY DID JAY-Z AND YOUNG JEEZY GET TO RAP AT AN INAUGURATION PARTY WHEN THEY COULD'VE EASILY BOOKED KRS-ONE! OR CHUCK D! OR MURS!!!

• I MEAN WHY DID JAY-Z AND YOUNG JEEZY GET TO RAP AT AN INAUGURATION PARTY WHEN THEY COULD'VE EASILY BOOKED KRS-ONE! OR CHUCK D! OR MURS!!!

CUZ JAY-Z AND YOUNG JEEZY DIDNT DO A SHITTY COVER OF WHAT CAN I GET FOR 52 CENTS

I MEAN WHY DID JAY-Z AND YOUNG JEEZY GET TO RAP AT AN INAUGURATION PARTY WHEN THEY COULD'VE EASILY BOOKED LAKIM SHABAZZ,PARIS, OR CONSCIOUS DAUGHTERS!!!!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Aretha won out over etta for the token old singer at the inauguration...

Thread is now closed.

• CONSCIOUS DAUGHTERS!!!!

LOL WUT.

Pam tha FunkStress ftw.

• It's amazing to me that people are really saying James should've been called on to sing instead of Beyonce. This isn't anything like getting Jamiroquai instead of Stevie Wonder...

To me, the issue is not 'should they have had Beyonce sing', it's how bad sour grapes sounds from legendary figures. You would think at Etta James' age she would be able to see the forest for the trees on stuff like this. But human nature is a bitch.

It's probably also a bitch for Etta James to realize that she has to work a year of road dates to make the same amount of money that Beyonce has lost between the cushions of her couch....

Why hasnt there been some super box set of Etta James music in conjunction w/ the movie?

I know its not her movie, but damn.

• Why hasnt there been some super box set of Etta James music in conjunction w/ the movie?

there already was an Etta James box set in 2000. dont tell me that joker went out of print!!

Why hasnt there been some super box set of Etta James music in conjunction w/ the movie?

there already was an Etta James box set in 2000. dont tell me that joker went out of print!!

how extensive was it?

• Why hasnt there been some super box set of Etta James music in conjunction w/ the movie?

how extensive was it?

1960-74.

So that means you don't get her earlier R&B/rock & roll recordings on Modern like "Roll With Me Henry," but you get just enough - MORE THAN enough - from her soul years to understand how great she is. Including "At Last." And besides, it's called The Chess Box, not The Modern Box.

Besides, when have you seen a box set that WASN'T extensive???

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    It's amazing to me that people are really saying James should've been called on to sing instead of Beyonce. This isn't anything like getting Jamiroquai instead of Stevie Wonder...

It's probably also a bitch for Etta James to realize that she has to work a year of road dates to make the same amount of money that Beyonce has lost between the cushions of her couch....

Yes, that can't be an easy pill to swallow. But just as Kobe Bryant can wash his ass in a diamond-encrusted bide while Dr. J has to settle for simply being legendary, that's the way the of the world. Being bitter about it certainly won't make you more scratch or get you more respect.

I wonder if shell ever get that Super BOX - complete w/ liner notes from Beyonce.

• I wonder if shell ever get that Super BOX

she already GOT the SUPER BOX, didnt you see my last post?

- complete w/ liner notes from Beyonce.

Anybody who'd buy an Etta box doesn't need Beyonce's endorsement.

I wonder if shell ever get that Super BOX

she already GOT the SUPER BOX, didnt you see my last post?

Yeah, but you made it sound like there was more to her than the Chess years.

• Anybody who'd buy an Etta box doesn't need Beyonce's endorsement.

Man, with friends fans like these...

• I wonder if shell ever get that Super BOX - complete w/ liner notes from Beyonce.

Ask Beyonce to write something, next thing you know she'll be playing Mark Twain...