Etta James wants to kick Beyonce's ass...

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
On Beyonce singing "At Last" at the Obama inauguration: "You know that woman he had singing for him, singing my song, she's going to get her a-- whipped" http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hiphopm...on-performance/

Comments

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It's f*cking lame that they got her and not Etta James who, you know, IS STILL ALIVE AND PERFORMING.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Jay Z is gonna have to keep her hidden in some safe house in Brooklyn for a while...

• I wasn't the one that said it, but maybe this kind of banter is precisely why they got Beyonce and not Etta.

Miss Etta maybe needs to take her medicines...

Not knowing the Obamas like some of you all do, aside from the obvious relevance of the title, is there another reason why they chose that song? Is it his/their favourite song or something?

• isn't she saying obama aint her president or something like that
    unless she's salty for not getting called up, she might be a barack hater

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Not knowing the Obamas like some of you all do, aside from the obvious relevance of the title, is there another reason why they chose that song? Is it his/their favourite song or something?

Shameless self promotion commercializing the inauguration.

It's f*cking lame that they got her and not Etta James who, you know, IS STILL ALIVE AND PERFORMING.

• It's f*cking lame that they got her and not Etta James who, you know, IS STILL ALIVE AND PERFORMING.

I don't think that Etta has a movie to push. And you know, that's the only reason anybody gets hired for anything now. Awards show hosts, TV guest appearances, nobody's allowed to be in the spotlight unless they're hustling some new product.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I don't think that Etta has a movie to push. And you know, that's the only reason anybody gets hired for anything now. Awards show hosts, TV guest appearances, nobody's allowed to be in the spotlight unless they're hustling some new product.

Etta needs to hire Beyonce's publicist and/or management.
    I love Etta James as much as anyone, but it's not like the Obamas sat down and drew up their dream team of performers. I agree with Johnny. I doubt that Beyonce is really the scourge of Ms. James' life to warrant even the threat of an ass-kicking.

• It's f*cking lame that they got her and not Etta James who, you know, IS STILL ALIVE AND PERFORMING.

she insults the man and claims he ain't her president. shes probably not a fan of obama dude.

I don't think that Etta has a movie to push.

I'll tell you, the fact that he's on shows like Entertainment Tonight and has his presidency tied into the promotion of a film is bizarre to me.

so they may have asked her and she turned it down because she's not down with Obama and his big ears!...

• **** PAGING HERM ****

This is pretty typical of soulstrut.

I mean, it's the inaugural ball. It was said that Jay-Z and Beyonce were a close second to the Obamas as far as star power that night. Song choice aside, is it really a surprise who they tapped to sing?

And would you guys rather have had her sing some of the dross featured on her latest release?

I'll tell ya what, Etta James wasn't talking all this shit when Beyonce actually recorded and released the song in conjunction with the movie where she, ya know, PLAYED Etta James.

Of course, from the Peanut Gallery, it's just the old R&B legend telling the hated pop singer what for. AWESOME!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    so they may have asked her and she turned it down because she's not down with Obama and his big ears!...

My impression is that she is pissed at him BECAUSE he did not have her sing HER song. I am betting that if she had been asked she would be all wrapped up in how important an event it was. Human nature.

• she shouldve done a syrupy version of single ladies (put a ring on it!)

• Jessica Rabbit style. I'm feeling you. On that.

• PUT A RING ON ITTTTTTTTT

MISTERRRR

PREEEEEEZZZZZIDENTTTTT

I have a hard time hating on Beyonce because, you know, she can sing and dance. She might even be able to act.

The movie can only help Etta's career. Etta said the same things about Janis Joplin so she's been through this before.

Best I know, Etta doesn't have much in the way of writing credits, so the only real money she makes is from personal appearances.

• Yeah - it's splitting hairs as far as ownership, but she didn't write "At Last".

• etta was already pissed becasue Beyonce never came to see her before playing her role in the movie.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There is no story......move along.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I don't know if the current "grotesque burlesque travesty" (as my friend calls it) that Etta passes off as her current live show would really have been all that fitting for the Obama's. I don't really get the hate, Etta seemed happy in that clip where she is in the audience watching Beyonce sing the song, she is probably just trying to hold on to some sort of limelight for an extra minute before before she gets forgotten about again when Beyonce moves on to whatever her next project is. Can't blame Etta for trying to have a voice.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Etta has never been "forgotten". AT LAST is a Classic.

She's just talkin out her ass. Its no big deal.

No ones career is gonna get altered.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Etta has never been "forgotten". AT LAST is a Classic.
    Not by discerning music fans or people who followed the blues/oldies scene, but by mainstream people I'd say she was almost totally forgotten until that Diet Coke ad in the 90s gave her another 5mins for the mainstream, similar to this Beyonce stuff. I'm not denying that "At Last" is a classic, but it's hardly a song that the average Joe will tell you the artist or recognize immediately. They will immediately like it but then probably ask who or what it is.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Let me just say that I know for a fact from first hand experience that Etta James is GANGSTER TO THE CORE!!!!!!!!!! Believe me, Beyonce does not want ANY beef with Miss James.

• **** PAGING HERM ****

This is pretty typical of soulstrut.

I mean, it's the inaugural ball. It was said that Jay-Z and Beyonce were a close second to the Obamas as far as star power that night. Song choice aside, is it really a surprise who they tapped to sing?

And would you guys rather have had her sing some of the dross featured on her latest release?

Well, I'm not a Beyonce fan at all so it wouldn't have mattered...she could have been singing "White & Nerdy" for all I cared.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Let me just say that I know for a fact from first hand experience that Etta James is GANGSTER TO THE CORE!!!!!!!!!! Believe me, Beyonce does not want ANY beef with Miss James.

yeah, I hope this doesn't become like a Biggie vs Tupac thing

better call Farrakhan & Al Sharpton to mediate

• I have a hard time hating on Beyonce because, you know, she can sing and dance. She might even be able to act.

The movie can only help Etta's career. Etta said the same things about Janis Joplin so she's been through this before.

But Janis most likely LISTENED TO Etta James coming up, and probably gave Etta her props in interviews and whatnot. Five'll getcha ten Beyonce didn't have a clue who Etta was until it came time to make the movie.

• Not knowing the Obamas like some of you all do, aside from the obvious relevance of the title, is there another reason why they chose that song? Is it his/their favourite song or something?

I think the song is having a bit of a resurgence thanks to the Cadillac Records movie.

I realized this two weeks ago at my last soul night when some girl asked me to play "At Last" by Etta James. (Never mind that the song is too damned slow to spin at an uptempo dance party...) I don't think this would have happened before the flick came out.