Etta James wants to kick Beyonce's ass...

Comments

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    "At Last" was written by Mack Gordon. If anything, Etta should kick Be'ass for the movie she did, which was wack and irrelevant. With that said, ol' girl did not receive royalties from the performance even if her name was cited many of times. I guess she got heated over the fact that she's not a millionaire as opposed to be and she could have sing it herself. Natural reaction. Now to do a video about it, ??-la Souljaboy, c'mon now, those youtube's beefs gotta stop. If I was Be, I would have asked Etta to back me up anyway, that would have solve the problem.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm lukewarm on Beyonce and her singing at the inaugural ball makes total sense. It seemed tasteless to me when I saw footage of that night that she stood up and sang a song made famous by someone who is fully capable of performing it herself. The movie promotion aspect never occurred to me. I have a much softer spot for Etta James than for Beyonce so I'm not feeling the song choice at all. I can see why they may not want a personality and history like James' at the President's party lol. James was apparently all for it the night of...as time passed she probably started tasting sour grapes and for small comfort wants to make sure folks know she will put her foot in someone's (gorgeous) ass.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Five'll getcha ten Beyonce didn't have a clue who Etta was until it came time to make the movie.

I'll take that bet and win.

We're talking about "At Last" here, not some Tammy Montgomery B-side that only Wigan attendees recognize.

I'm pretty sure Beyonce knows who the F*ck Etta James is.

And while Etta didn't write the song, her version is the definitive vocal version. It's not like Beyonce was cueing up Nat King Cole's version to base hers on.

Personally, I think it's wack they had Beyonce sing the song when Etta James is still alive. But whatever, it's not like anything real is at stake here.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Personally, I think it's wack they had Beyonce sing the song when Etta James is still alive. But whatever, it's not like anything real is at stake here.
    This pretty much sums it up.

• Pickwick: Dude, do you REALLY think Beyonce didn't know who Etta was until the movie or are you being facetious? 'Cause that honestly sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

Jonny: Have I ever told you about my favorite Lalo Alcaraz comic? The caption is "why a Mexican should never call another Mexican a wetback." There's one pic with a cholo dude looking at a vaquero'd out Mexican and saying "wetback." Then there's a pic of a white dude looking at the cholo dude looking at the vaquero'd out dude saying "wetbacks."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Do yall really think Etta James could have pulled her version off?

I know yall wanna see a the diva do her thang, but even Aretha's performance was lukewarm at best.

Why have Etta up there for "cosmetic" reasons?

Has anyone seen her live in the past 3 years to know she's still knockin her song out the park?

U think this fits next to Jon Bon Jovi doin A Change Is Gonna Come?

• i think at minimum her version wouldve been better than beyonce's. even with her sitting in a wheel chair or whatevers.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I saw Etta a couple years ago, she was good( yoigotbeats was her booking agent or whatever)

Aretha was good at the inag - why the hate?

least she didn't lipsync like J Hudson at the Pooperbowl

i think at minimum her version wouldve been better than beyonce's. even with her sitting in a wheel chair or whatevers.

This was is inaugeration not the Sante Fe House Of Blues.

Shit is a POP venue. And that's what they went for.

• i dont care what they "went for". doesnt change the fact that etta in her twilight years could still do a better rendition of that song than beyonce.

Obama should have honored the originators

that senior vote is important

u dudes are infected w/ 45 dust.

it's called good taste

try it out sometime

btw: I can't stand AT LAST

such a cliche, overplayed song at this point

• how is etta james' version of "at last" not pop? its on just about every goddamn wedding mixtape in this country.

it's called good taste

try it out sometime

GTFOHWTB!

Its a POP venue dude.

Who wants to see a bunch of 70 years olds do Classics for a young President?

They have to appeal to the youth.

I dont understand how u dudes want to apply your "keep it real" musical snobbery to an event thats not about music.

To expect Obama & Them to roll out The Dap Kings is crazy.

When does an event that big EVER execute Goof Taste? Its common denominator shit.

yr sounding MAD STARBUXY Batmon

• it's called good taste

try it out sometime

GTFOHWTB!

Its a POP venue dude.

I dont understand how u dudes want to apply your "keep it real" musical snobbery to an event thats not about music.

When does an event that big EVER execute Goof Taste? Its common denominator shit.

based on your criteria there, why not have her sing "single ladies" or "irreplacable"? i mean, if the all important 14 year old girl demographic is that important to the current administration.

it's called good taste

try it out sometime

GTFOHWTB!

Its a POP venue dude.

based on your criteria there, why not have her sing "single ladies" or "irreplacable"? i mean, if the all important 14 year old girl demographic is that important to the current administration.

fall back

that was for the all-important faux-thug / blogger demographic

• well, for the record i was talking about who would perform that song better today. not who was better for the inauguration.

i dont really care who was better for the inauguration and besides its over and done with. but id like to point out that whole "lowest common denominator" shit is pretty much how bush won the last 2 elections. game recognize game? im no political type, im just saying. actually, you were just saying.

game recognize game?

ur a player - im a coach.

• bro, im up in the nosebleeds with some garlic fries and a boda bag full o hooch.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    comment from "tickle_porkchop":

"Beyonce is a Thief, a smiling thief ready and willing to rip somebody off...I am so glad Etta let her azz have it....
    You can soo tell Beyonces camp didn't ask a soul if it was okay,s he is constantly stepping on somebody's toes....

She stepped on Tina Turners toes literally....

Then the heffa lied, when interviewed at the inauguration talking about she never celebrated it before....guess she conveniently forgot singing for Bushes azz.....she faker than a 9 dolla bill"

ooooOOOOOOOOOooooo LAWRD!! the comments are more interesting than the articles--usually.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    u dudes are infected w/ 45 dust.

lol

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Beyonce is just as much an artist as Fairey is.

Beyonce is just as much an artist as Fairey is.

2) You all are very uptight about art.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm riding for B'mon.
    And for Jonny, Etta James was quoted as saying something to the effect of Beyonce wasn't hawrd enough to play her in a movie. She's butthurt, you dudes are sounding crusty, and Aretha Franklin needs to stop smoking and lose 100 lbs before she dies instead of berating Beyonce.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Singing abilities and marketability aside...it would have been a great gesture and image if Beyonce had invited Etta up at least to sing on part of the song as other artist have done over the years when they do similar things.

Shit even Coolio was decent enough to get Stevie Wonder up with him on the Billboards and he was paying out his ass for the sample and he had his own singer to do the chorus and the song had already blown up...

But it might not have been beyonces call. she might have wanted etta there and someone decided etta may be too 'unpredictable/raw' for such a staged managed event....

So will Jay drop a subliminal on Etta ass in his next tune?

• now look here young feller. i already done told u id rather heard beyonce do put a mothereffen ring on it. the metaphor is much more current, relevant and its fun.

as far as at last, that young girl actually shames the song.

NOW SCRAM! GO ON! BEAT IT! doggone lil shits.