Notorious anyone?

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Anyone got any thoughts on the Biggie movie "Notorious"?I only read one review from the SF Chronicle that thinks Puffy, who was the executive producer, got oo much screen time (Wow, who woulda thought that?!?), and tried to sugarcoat Wallace's legacy (what movie biopic of music stars doesnt?).http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/15/DDA8157UFQ.DTL

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    The reviews I've read so far have said it's Not trash, but some weak spots.

Loot just got kind of tight for me, so I don't think i'm trying to run out and see this. Although I feel the need, simply because I'm the one "hip-hop" person in many of my friends' and families' lives and they're all going to ask me what I thought of it. I feel like a representative.

Digression alert: I'm sure a lot of you guys are like that. On new year's eve a bunch of dudes got into a big drunken discussion of the best rappers of all time. "Who would you put on your Mount Rap-More?" was the theme. They were all sports-loving chad-type guys talking all kinds of crap. I was trying to stay out of it, but one of them remembered I was in the room and they were all like "Nate's the hip-hop expert, who are your top 4?" and they wouldn't leave me alone until I weighed in.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    The reviews I've read so far have said it's Not trash, but some weak spots.

Loot just got kind of tight for me, so I don't think i'm trying to run out and see this. Although I feel the need, simply because I'm the one "hip-hop" person in many of my friends' and families' lives and they're all going to ask me what I thought of it. I feel like a representative.

Digression alert: I'm sure a lot of you guys are like that. On new year's eve a bunch of dudes got into a big drunken discussion of the best rappers of all time. "Who would you put on your Mount Rap-More?" was the theme. They were all sports-loving chad-type guys talking all kinds of crap. I was trying to stay out of it, but one of them remembered I was in the room and they were all like "Nate's the hip-hop expert, who are your top 4?" and they wouldn't leave me alone until I weighed in.

So who's your top 4?

I think I'll wait until its out on DVD.. otherwise, I'm not too interested in the film.

• my girl wants to see it tonight
    ...i might have to take one for the team

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Apparently the screenplay reads like the film adaptation of his wikipedia entry.

Reviews have so far been VERY mixed.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Going to see this? NO! I liked Big's music but that old episode of VH1 "Behind the Music" was probably more entertaining.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i'm going to see the first showing today 12:30. i expect to be disappointed and possibly pissed... we will see. the 2.5 hour documentary they had on BET last night was pretty good though.

• I'm sure a lot of you guys are like that.

I'm the only whiteboy on my block.

(soulstrut classique!)

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

I think I'll wait til there's a dvd screener up on a torrent ... otherwise, I wont be buying it on dvd

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    The trailer for this movie is really horrible, more than once I was reminded of the VH1 MC Hammer movie. It really killed my interest is seeing this in theaters.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I'm definitely going to see this tonight at Court Street.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I'm definitely going to see this tonight at Court Street.

I am thinking the same thing. they got at least 2 screens showing it and i don't know anywhere else in BK close to me showing it.

But at 10 degreez, not sure if anyone, let alone fake biggie, can get me out the house tonight.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Does Tupac play a prominent role in this?

• I'm definitely going to see this tonight at Court Street when it hits cable.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I'm going just for the heated theatre and popcorn before I go dj tonight....

• I hate that the money for this is going into Puff Daddys pockets. He is the worst schmuck ever

• I hate that the money for this is going into Puff Daddys pockets. He is the worst schmuck ever

I wont argue whether Puffy is an ass or not overall, but dude is integral to Biggie's legacy. Along w/ Mister Cee.

• ZOMG PUFFY SAMPLED TEH POLICE!!! I HATEZ HIM!!!111!!!

• HOW DARE HE TRY TO RAP OVER KASHMIR!!!!

• irrelevant compared to tupac sampling bruce hornsby.

i'm talking about not wanting to pay to see notorious in protest to this douche that hath put his self in the limelight apparently in this production. ooh he makes me mad!!! he's a turtleneck wearing shitstepper

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I miss 90's Bad Boy production.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    ZOMG PUFFY SAMPLED TEH POLICE!!! I HATEZ HIM!!!111!!!

Funny you mention this. I just brought that song up to my pops about an hour ago. He just read this article and I was trying to explain how fools felt about Puffy bitd. Shit seems lame now thinking back on it.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Anyone got any thoughts on the Biggie movie "Notorious"?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    "Do you even party?"

I enjoyed it. Maybe it was because I had such low expectations, but it was a fun flick to go see, and it was nice to reminisce about that era of NYC, all the gear, the tunes, the clubs, the females, the fun. It was good lighthearted fun.

And the chick playing Lil Kim...

• It wasn't terrible, but it was not great by any stretch of the word.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i think i'll wait for the dvd

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i think i'll wait for the dvd

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Anyone got any thoughts on the Biggie movie "Notorious"?

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    "Do you even party?"

I enjoyed it. Maybe it was because I had such low expectations, but it was a fun flick to go see, and it was nice to reminisce about that era of NYC, all the gear, the tunes, the clubs, the females, the fun. It was good lighthearted fun.

And the chick playing Lil Kim...

I agree. Overall, I didn't object to very much because I was viewing it for what it was, ie, good family fun (of a certain age, that is). It was interesting to watch it with my sister, who was only 9 when Life After Death came out. We saw it on Friday night in Harlem; watching mi gente interact with the screen was worth the price of admission alone. The only unfortunate incident during the screening I attended was when four or five policeman came in during the middle of the movie trying to figure out who was smoking weed.

I thought Derek Luke gave the least convincing performance...Also, I couldn't get the image of Anthony playing a gay man in Brother to Brother out of my head, so it was hard to take him seriously. Kim was complaining that Naturi was too dark-skinned, but IMO the only error in casting her was that Kim's pre-implant breasts weren't even as large as petite-sized Naturi's.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Might catch it online when it's available, but this is definitely not theater-worthy.

This was on the other day though:

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    same here. i expected so little from it that i wasn't really disappointed. i don't think it was THAT bad, but maybe they should have waited another decade to make it....