RIBS!

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I had some so-so pulled pork and braised beef brisket (smoked > braised, btw) today.

Nothing worse than "just ok" BBQ.

F*** you Dante, you ruined me with those K.C. burnt ends.

I>Fiending[/i].

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    im funny bout my BBQ. unlike most folks, i prefer my ribs dry, no sauce at all. yet when im getting wasted on hot links, i just about DROWN them sausages in sauce...

big shoutout to Hook-Up for printing a pic of the Cozy Corner...i have many fond memories of Memphis, and the C.C. is one of them.

any memphis residents hip to a place called Willie Moore's Family Restaurant? had me some nice greasy pork while there, back in '06...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I had an ex that would just take a regular cheap Kraft BBQ sauce, add brown sugar, red pepper, hot sauce (Tabasco) and some other stuff to it and make a REALLY good sauce...I can ask her what all she would add to it to make it right...
    That would be sweet!!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    the key is to cook the ribs for a very long time at a low temperature.

But of course, you have to contend with the possibility of drying out the meat. Moping, basting, or saucing helps. Truth is, pork spareribs have plenty of flavor on their own, most sauces merely complement and it's hard to go wrong. Most of the bad ribs I've ever had were incorrectly cooked, not incorrectly sauced.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

aliet supports local rib joint

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Part of my local experience tour is bringing dudes to my secret rib spot: I have seen grown ass men cry post feast.

(except Sheep: hommie was too blunted to be able to walk the two blocks to the secret rib joint: but like Cosmo keeps sayin: "sheep is a lightweight").

Motherfuckers have the audacity to order a baked potato on the side?

"do you want a baked potato on the side?"

"HELL NO BITCH! I WANT RIBS. F*ck A BAKED POTATO".

If you order a baked potato you are a little bitch.

baked potato means less room for ribs. This is not an option.

Hell, this is not even a choice: this is an IQ-test.

Ribs.

thems shits melts on ya tongues.

icky sticky ribs.

Awww shit. now look what ya done gone did.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

aliet supports local rib joint

Jesus so now you're telling me that I own a record that both Josh AND Ari touched? f*cking A man...

... back to RIBS - shit, any ribs will do!

• I had an ex that would just take a regular cheap Kraft BBQ sauce, add brown sugar, red pepper, hot sauce (Tabasco) and some other stuff to it and make a REALLY good sauce...I can ask her what all she would add to it to make it right...

I hear that - BUT that Supermarket stuff has a gang of sugar in it.

Its simple to start w/a tomato base add BUTTER,cider vinegar,mollasses,brown sugar,honey,etc.

BBQ sauce is kinda limitless.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

SPEAK!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I haven't had some ribs in awhile.... I'm jonesin!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I haven't had some ribs in awhile.... I'm jonesin!

Hell yeah. NY'ers, rep your spots please, may have to get this done this weekend.

Rack and Soul on 109 and B'way was pretty good, but they recently scaled back to 1/3 the original size, haven't been back yet. Daisy May was aiight, their pulled pork sandwich is murderous tho. Someone knowledge me the real plz...

• the key is the smoke, man, the SMOKE!

OK, is Rendezvous in Memphis considered a pure tourist trrap, or are their dry rub ribs respected? I went there now 10+ years ago and thought they were incredible...but this was before I moved to Austin and developed a taste for true smoked meats doen central Texas style...so my Rendezvous experience may have been like thinking Olive Garden is great Italian food if you've never had any better.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    F*** you Dante, you ruined me with those K.C. burnt ends.

I>Fiending[/i].

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/chriscarnahan/IMG_0267.jpg" alt="" />

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    the key is the smoke, man, the SMOKE!

That's what's up. Fusk a sauce???dry rub the shit out of that rack, and cook it real slow-like with low, indirect heat and plenty of smoke. The fat melts and combines with the rub to make what is essentially a sauce with a melted fat base. And before any of y'all question how terribly bad that must be for you, if that's an issue, you shouldn't be eating ribs in the first place.

• the key is the smoke, man, the SMOKE!

That's what's up. Fusk a sauce???dry rub the shit out of that rack, and cook it real slow-like with low, indirect heat and plenty of smoke. The fat melts and combines with the rub to make what is essentially a sauce with a melted fat base. And before any of y'all question how terribly bad that must be for you, if that's an issue, you shouldn't be eating ribs in the first place.

that's the real, but who can do this in regular ass apt oven.

I gotta simulate that smoke steez.

• Hell yeah. NY'ers, rep your spots please, may have to get this done this weekend.

I've yet to find real good bbq in the city. Virgil's off of Times Square is probably the best I've had. People say Hill Country (somewhere on Park Ave South) and Dinosaur BBQ (around Columbia U) are really good as well, but I've never been. I kind of gave up on bbq in the city and just do it at home when I get the time. I think its hard to get real bbq here because there are so many codes and regulations against real deal smokers and other essential equipment.

• that's the real, but who can do this in regular ass apt oven.

Tin pan with cedar woodchips?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

that's the real, but who can do this in regular ass apt oven.

I hear you. I don't even try to make ribs unless I'm working the grill on my deck. I live on the top floor, so smoking isn't an issue except that I have to shut off my AC so my bedroom doesn't smell like smoked ribs for two weeks.

I bet that would be the ultimate aphrodisiac for obese women, though.

• Hook-Up...Steve's BBQ Denton, Tx (RIP)... thoughts?

I was loving the dry rub style.

I only went there once, and it was good...but I prefer pork bbq, Steve was texas beef BBQ...not entirely crazy about beef bbq...good though

OK, is Rendezvous in Memphis considered a pure tourist trrap, or are their dry rub ribs respected? I went there now 10+ years ago and thought they were incredible...but this was before I moved to Austin and developed a taste for true smoked meats doen central Texas style...so my Rendezvous experience may have been like thinking Olive Garden is great Italian food if you've never had any better.

in comparison of the fire BBQ spots in Memphis, the Rendezvous is just merely OK...it is considered a tourist trap, not many locals eat there. Next time you come to memphis hit cozy corner and bbq shop...the 2 best in town (and more than likely the US)

The best wet ribs in town are at Cozy Corner...unfukwitable. My fave dry rub ribs in town are at the BBQ shop:

the bbq shop also has the best hot bbq sauce of all time, dancing pigs sauce(amazing to drizzle on the dry rub ribs, also the sauce makes for the best pork bbq sandwich anywhere on earth, no hyperbole)...(if I wouldnt get a beat down, I would take a bottle of that sauce into Cozy Corner and put it on their ribs, that would be amazing...but taking another spots sauce into another spot is the same as insulting someones mom, so it is not done)

• I saw these joints at the K-Mart today, but I couldn't pull the trigger.

NO FALSE RIBS.

• Slow and low that is the tempo! (Sorry I had to)

• There are 2 spots in Williamsburg - one is open and the other is on its way.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

All this talk about ribs made me want to go get ribs today. My wife and I stopped by Ruby's BBQ here in Austin and ordered some St. Louis Ribs and Baby Back Ribs.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

Gives you mud but!!

• Options
    I had an ex that would just take a regular cheap Kraft BBQ sauce, add brown sugar, red pepper, hot sauce (Tabasco) and some other stuff to it and make a REALLY good sauce...I can ask her what all she would add to it to make it right...

I hear that - BUT that Supermarket stuff has a gang of sugar in it.

Its simple to start w/a tomato base add BUTTER,cider vinegar,mollasses,brown sugar,honey,etc.

One of the top rib spots near me has their employees sign some kind of oath of secrecy as to what the secret ingredient in their rib sauce is. One of my friends worked there. The ingredient is hershey bars.

• Options

Gives you mud but!!

I ate a full rack a few years ago after not eating pork for something like 10 years. Instead of stepping back in the arena with a piece of bacon or a nibble on a rib tip I went for the whole rack since I man up when it comes to food. I woke up at 3am, practically crawled to the toilet and sat there having hallucinations, convulsions and cold sweats for 20 minutes.

• Gives you mud but!!

I ate a full rack a few years ago after not eating pork for something like 10 years. Instead of stepping back in the arena with a piece of bacon or a nibble on a rib tip I went for the whole rack since I man up when it comes to food. I woke up at 3am, practically crawled to the toilet and sat there having hallucinations, convulsions and cold sweats for 20 minutes.

never tried ribs of any sort, but certainly not the best advert right now.....

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

Gives you mud but!!

a small price to pay for some tasty ribs.

• Options

Gives you mud but!!

a small price to pay for some tasty ribs.

True indeed, it certainly didn't keep me out of the game.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

One of the top rib spots near me has their employees sign some kind of oath of secrecy as to what the secret ingredient in their rib sauce is. One of my friends worked there. The ingredient is hershey bars.

i use to know a spot in st louis that use vanilla ice cream as the secret ingredient