Great for its era.....ALL TIME?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    LOL

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My vote goes for: What's Goin' On.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Ann Peebles "Straight from the Heart" is pretty much a perfect album

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I don't know..Kinda hard..But it'd be these (by genre)

Rock:

The Count Five:Psychotic Reaction

or

Thin Lizzy:Jail Break

Punk/Hardcore(2),

Minutemen:Paranoid Time 7in

or

The Germs:(GI)

Soul

Earth,Wind & Fire:That's The Way Of The World

or

Donnie Hathaway:S/T

Funk

The Nite Liters:S/T

or

The Meters:Look Ka Py Py

Jazz...

Herbie Hancock:The Prisoner

or

John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman:S/T

I've always dug that version of "My One And Only Love"

Anyways..IMO

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Nah, the Hendrix was the only one I was nominating for BAOAT, the others were just honourable mentions of faves I like a lot that sprung to mind... while Odelay doesn't sound old to my ears yet, it needs to simmer for 40 years or so to prove it's worth like Ladyland has. Similarly, one day I might get tired of blunts or Lee Perry, although either scenario is unlikely.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Odelay doesn't sound old to my ears yet, it needs to simmer for 40 years or so to prove it's worth like Ladyland has.

Electric Ladyland didnt need 40 years to prove it was argueably the best Hendrix album.

Odelay doesn't sound old to my ears yet, it needs to simmer for 40 years or so to prove it's worth like Ladyland has.

Electric Ladyland didnt need 40 years to prove it was argueably the best Hendrix album.

No, but for me Ladyland needed 40 years to prove that it's in contention for BAOAT. Odelay probably never will, but I still like it.

No, but for me Ladyland needed 40 years to prove that it's in contention for BAOAT.

youre a 60+ year old that likes Odelay?

No, but for me Ladyland needed 40 years to prove that it's in contention for BAOAT.

youre a 60+ year old that likes Odelay?

Where's the brickwall Batmon? Please.
    40 years to put it in context with the last 40 years of music, as my taste doesn't go much past the sixties bar the odd exception.

And for the record I'm 64. Will you still love me, will you still need me?

cool

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    Portishead Third

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    its fiucking grade A audio heroin

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I really like Dark Side of the Moon, even though it is basically pop culture by now.

explain pleez

i just like it

• after putting stuf together for a Ron Asheton tribute for the radio show sunday...I have to say this may be the greatest rock album of all time...NEVER gets old and always has me sayin "F*ck yeah"

I really like Dark Side of the Moon, even though it is basically pop culture by now.

explain pleez

i just like it

What do you make of Dub Side of the Moon (Easy Allstars reggae cover version)?

In some ways I like that more, but then I also think that really it's due to the strength of the songs.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

explain pleez

i just like it

I meant the Pop culture label. Pink Floyd were this "underground" rock band at the time and DarkSide was once an alternative album for a special demographic?

I though they had big money behind them by then and Money had constant radio play?

When did this album all of a sudden become POP and what was it before?

• Illmatic.

What's the rap version of rockist, since it can't be rapist?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

explain pleez

i just like it

I meant the Pop culture label. Pink Floyd were this "underground" rock band at the time and DarkSide was once an alternative album for a special demographic?

I though they had big money behind them by then and Money had constant radio play?

No one should take terms like "underground" and "alternative" that seriously.

And they shouldn't take the term "pop" that seriously. That just means it's POPular. If there's nine albums of Tuvan throat singing in the Top 10, then that's gonna be "pop" too.

As for Pink Floyd, it's not like they didn't WANT to sell records...it just meant that they didn't want to do it by sounding like the Partridge Family. And when you're sounding a little left-of-center compared to the rest of the Top 40, you will be considered "underground" relative to everybody else.

explain pleez

i just like it

And they shouldn't take the term "pop" that seriously. That just means it's POPular. If there's nine albums of Tuvan throat singing in the Top 10, then that's gonna be "pop" too.

As for Pink Floyd, it's not like they didn't WANT to sell records...it just meant that they didn't want to do it by sounding like the Partridge Family. And when you're sounding a little left-of-center compared to the rest of the Top 40, you will be considered "underground" relative to everybody else.

So when The No.1 Billboard album of the week debuted, were critics still catagorizing them as non-POP? Was it perceived as a Prog-Rock triumph over the rest of the charts? Just wondering.....

• Ann Peebles "Straight from the Heart" is pretty much a perfect album
    This came to mind

a few more for discussion -
    The Count's whats up front that counts
    or in the modal kind of blue vein, Cannonball Adderley's 's Something Else or Coltrane's Ole...

Electric Ladyland is easy to argue for..

Is the F****N spin doctors entry serious?

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts

explain pleez

i just like it

I don't think that DSOTM is the best album of all time, just one of my personal faves.

I didn't know much about PF until I started college 3 years ago. I recognized the triangle prism (see photo below) on t-shirts and posters every-fusking-where, before I even knew what Floyd sounded like. So as someone who is still kind of young, I recognized the posters, titles and "pop culture references" long before I knew much about PF or the general psychedelic genre. When I was younger, I had heard of phrases such as "just another brick in the wall," or "all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be," but it wasn't until years later that I learned that they came from PF songs. That's what I meant by "popular culture."

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Is that really an example of how the album & film are supposed to "synch up?"

Because I've always wondered how true that was, and if that clip is any indication
    you must need to be pretty damn high to see the connections.

Is that really an example of how the album & film are supposed to "synch up?"

Because I've always wondered how true that was, and if that clip is any indication
    you must need to be pretty damn high to see the connections.

Ive never done it. It seems to be a stretch.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

explain pleez

i just like it

So when The No.1 Billboard album of the week debuted, were critics still catagorizing them as non-POP?

Probably.

Like I said, if any critics called them non-pop, they probably meant "they don't sound like David Cassidy or Bobby Sherman (or any other Top 40-ish act)." That doesn't mean that they weren't popular. Nor does it mean that their records couldn't make the Top 40. It just meant that they didn't do cute bubblegum tunes.

Was it perceived as a Prog-Rock triumph over the rest of the charts? Just wondering.....

Definitely not. Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues could be considered prog too, and they both had #1 albums the year before.

Also, remember that most prog fans were all about LP's (not 45's) anyway, so it was a given that albums like this would be all over the album chart.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Not so into it. File under album with some listenable segments and a break.

I'm going with Future Days, although Aquemini and ATLiens are apical in my mind. Whatever though, its easier to just pick Future Days.