BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME...

Comments

• the greatest thing about this thread...is that 99.9 % of peoples choices are still from 60s/70s/80s...which means......

im waiting for harvey canal to post some texas crappers up in here.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

• It wasnt intentional. I think he pulled an image that was "protected" and we got to see a feces sammich.

Find a new Nike Drake image dude.

Yikes. I didn't realize...

Mine showed up without Shit Sandwich. Still does.

I changed it, though.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yall are gettin silly

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    WHAT?!!!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    You really can not go wrong with either of those! Good one!
    File under "Seminal funk/fusion masterpiece"

File under "Unfuckwittable 70s soul classic"

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

That's not even the best spin doctors record

• RerogRerog 569 Posts

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    You really can not go wrong with either of those! Good one!
    File under "Seminal funk/fusion masterpiece"

File under "Unfuckwittable 70s soul classic"

was just thinking that as i scrolled down

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    As much as I absolutely adore I'm Still In Love With You I find it very hard to believe that there's many people who truly appreciate Al's cover of Pretty Woman on there. It's the album's equivalent of Party For The Right To Fight and means it will never be a perfect play through album for me.

Also, Sgt Pepper isn't even near the best Beatles album never mind the greatest album of all time. IMHO.

As for personal picks - I do find it pretty much impossible so will happily just pick apart other people's suggestions.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

This presses all of the buttons for me. Blues played so well that a non-blues fan like me can get down, explosive Dylan cover, a proggy head-F*ck song with drum solo... there might be a weak song on here, but right now I can't name it. And damn, Crosstown Traffic. And Voodoo Chile. And

Honourable mentions

My generation's equivalent I suppose. Different sort of album, but so many great songs, and then there's the context. Maybe it's best that this was where it stopped.

Yay scientology.

I love Zep, but not sure which LP is the best, but I'm sure you could cobble together a GOAT from their first four albums.

Re; Beatles > what's the Strut opinion on this? Mixtape or mistake?

Re; Beatles > what's the Strut opinion on this? Mixtape or mistake?

Far more exciting as an idea than as a reality. Totally unnecessary.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    GOAT in terms of impact on The General Populace??? ? Must be a Beatles disc, surely? Not that I am a big fan.

The albums I've spun most since I've had them are Me'Shell's "Plantation Lullabies" and Joni's "Herjira". I can listen to them all the way through without tiring.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Kind Of Blue is perfection, so that would be my pick.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    As much as I absolutely adore I'm Still In Love With You I find it very hard to believe that there's many people who truly appreciate Al's cover of Pretty Woman on there.

I'm one of them. I had this album as a child and I heard Green's version before I heard Roy Orbison's (whose original is great as well).

I have no problem with that cut. The two skipovers for me are "What A Wonderful Thing Love Is" and "Simply Beautiful." Not that these two songs stink or anything, it's just that they're not as strong next to all the other selections.

As much as I absolutely adore I'm Still In Love With You I find it very hard to believe that there's many people who truly appreciate Al's cover of Pretty Woman on there.

I'm one of them. I had this album as a child and I heard Green's version before I heard Roy Orbison's (whose original is great as well).

I have no problem with that cut. The two skipovers for me are "What A Wonderful Thing Love Is" and "Simply Beautiful." Not that these two songs stink or anything, it's just that they're not as strong next to all the other selections.

Well there you go I stand corrected. For me Orbison's version is so deeply rooted in how I hear the song that Green's interpretation just sounds wrong. However, funnily enough, What A Wonderful Thing Love Is is one of my favourite cuts from the album partly because it was one of the songs I first played to my girlfriend when she came round mine so I guess it proves that time and place do have an impact on these things.

• *boring rockist stock answer alert*

Exile On Main Street

lots of truly perfect albums listed here,
    but Exile is a perfect record that has
    just about every element I hold dear.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

also on my list....I said LIST!!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

JOSE: so, fellas, what do you think of the cover? Is it good? Should I approve it?

JOSE'S ENTOURAGE : yeah, 'sgreat Jose. Phone Stevie. He'll tell ya.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    As much as I absolutely adore I'm Still In Love With You I find it very hard to believe that there's many people who truly appreciate Al's cover of Pretty Woman on there. It's the album's equivalent of Party For The Right To Fight and means it will never be a perfect play through album for me.

Also, Sgt Pepper isn't even near the best Beatles album never mind the greatest album of all time. IMHO.

As for personal picks - I do find it pretty much impossible so will happily just pick apart other people's suggestions.

i have always liked the pretty woman cover, the real subtle organ in it is
    and ury body knows its the white album over sgt peppers

• As much as I absolutely adore I'm Still In Love With You I find it very hard to believe that there's many people who truly appreciate Al's cover of Pretty Woman on there.

ha, "What a Wonderful Thing Love Is" is my favorite song on that record (and i don't have a problem with Pretty Woman)
    Also, i have to call BS on Curtis not having any end-to-end burners. I THOUGHT YOU WERE COOL MAN!!

anyway, tough question. lots of good candidates mentioned here.
    What's the Noel Redding song on 'Ladyland'? it's not bad but the token NR song on each Hendrix LP always brought the overall work down a notch for me. Otherwise, perfect album.

Beatles White Album has what is in my opinion their strongest work (and they're pretty much my favorite band) but there's too many clunkers on there too

I'm gonna have to go with

SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE

and ury body knows its the white album over sgt peppers

Indeed though personally I would also put Revolver, Abbey Road and, possibly, Rubber Soul ahead too.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    and ury body knows its Revolver[/b] over sgt peppers

• van halen 1

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Not a single Beatles LP listed yet?

ANTI-ROCKISTS!

I said "Revolver."

which is like the Beatles version of "Best" vs the "Favorite" Sgt Peppers, if I'm forced to bow to the idea that Best need not be Favorite (it does, but whatever--this whole discussion is silly, so I'll go along with that impossibility)...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    In all seriousness I always go back to Fear Of A Black Planet.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Having read this entire thread i'm certain that I cannot award any one album as BAOAT. It's just impossibly hard as I like so many different albums for different reasons. 90% of the albums posted would make it into a 'top 10', but to single out just one? I can't do it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    In all seriousness I always go back to YO!BUM RUSH THE SHOW.