BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME...

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
... like really, what do you think is the "Greatest Album Of All Time?" I'm interested in hearing what you think.

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Good pick!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    ... like really, what do you think is the "Greatest Album Of All Time?" I'm interested in hearing what you think.

For me the greatest LP of all time has to be one that I never tire of and the LP that has held up for the longest period of time to my ears is Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On".

Others that come a close second are War's "All Day Music" and Mountain's "Nantucket Sleighride".

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    BIG>BIG>FEET FOXES FA SHO

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Hot Buttered Soul

I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Chapter Three

Burning Spear - s/t

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Hot Buttered Soul

There's No Place Like America

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What's it gonna be, if it had to be one? I know the question is murder, but for real - when it came down to it and it had to be only one. Do you think you could pick?

No, I really don't think I could!

I have about 15 other LPs I can list but won't - I cheated big time on your original question.

If I had to pick between picking one record and lying in a vat of cockroaches, then I could and I would probably go with Hot Buttered Soul. But this answer would probably be different a few days from now.

• Maggot Brain

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I know the question is murder

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    But this answer would probably be different a few days from now.

And yeah therein lies the rub, and the reason why I posed the question. I was in a conversation not too long ago with someone about what albums have that particular "staying power" in which it incites a particular feeling or emotion that is comparable over the years. An album that you could easily see listening to and not growing tired of in 40+ years. Such a tough question, and not particularly fair I'll admit. I just really wanted to see if there are things that people were dead certain that they could ride for in this case. And all teh examples have been stellar, even though I could see the answers changing in days, or hours. That doesn't make these examples per se. In fact, if it was the instinctual answer than I think it's probably the right answer - even though there is no right answers.*

* I'm hopped up on a whole lot of f*cking cold medicine and this shit has got me funky in the head haha.

PS: My answer?

Probably this:

• There's No Place Like America

really? B.A.O.A.T.? ...

i'm extremely biased and non-objective about this, but this is the first album I can think of offhand where I'll never skip a track when listening to it til the day I die.

I'm not sure though that what I said should be the criteria we use.

That would be the first thing we have to do: come to a consensus on what an album would have to do to be the BOAT. Ideas?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    When I saw this thread, this was my gut reaction:

Not that I like it any more or any less than Total Destruction To Your Mind or Teenage Head or The Isaac Hayes Movement (which are all favorites of mine as well), but it's definitely up there. Ask me again, I might not tell you the same...

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On".

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

That would be the first thing we have to do: come to a consensus on what an album would have to do to be the BOAT. Ideas?

Any album where every last song stands out, you play it all the time, and there are no skipovers. And believe me, it would be easier to name ten than one.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    But this answer would probably be different a few days from now.

PS: My answer?

Probably this:

ditto...

"I'll be loving you allllways......"

There's No Place Like America

really? B.A.O.A.T.? ...

Yep. What can I say, this record clicks with me a in a big big way.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Kind of Blue, easily.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I know I come off as a rockist Mojo reader, but probably

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Obligatory