Why I hate live hip-hop bands...

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Well first of all, because I saw Fishbone perform last night...which provides a perfect illustration of why 99.9% of any band that ever goes the hip-hop route sucks tremendously. Not only do 99.9% of hip-hop bands sound 99.9% alike, but within that little tiny zone of safety there isn't ever much worthwile happening. Shit is just too limiting in the worst possible way. Hip-hop bands across the board should be put out of our misery. Ain't nothing wrong with music made with samplers and keyboards...maybe in a live setting, it doesn't always translate to people's rock show expectations. But F*ck it, a good cd is a good cd and a good show is a good show and there's no written rule that says that they must always work in conjunction with each other. b, 21b, 21So anyway, why do you hate hip-hop bands?

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    When did Fishbone become a hip-hop band? b, 21b, 21If you're going to criticize hip-hop bands, why don't you assess the seminal hip-hop band, The Roots? Have you seen them play? They're better live than on wax, IMO.

• ...because it isn't very hip hop. aside from a nerdy lecture about two turn tables, etc...hip hop doesn't work well without a tightly quantized funk beat or with lots of chord changes or noodling solos....for the most part. the backing music should provide a solid structure that allows the MC to flex, but that doesn't distract from what he is saying.b, 21b, 21the players in a live band are often too "good" to keep a JB like groove going indefintiely for the sake of the MC. they have to solo or change chords too much to keep it "interesting".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21When did Fishbone become a hip-hop band?
    b, 21
    b, 21If you're going to criticize hip-hop bands, why don't you assess the seminal hip-hop band, The Roots? Have you seen them play? They're better live than on wax, IMO.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Wow. Just. Wow.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Fishbone is a real band, not screened in by simultaneously acting-haughty-towards/straight-replicating looped beats. b, 21b, 21The Roots are retired from touring.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Fishbone is a real band, not screened in by simultaneously acting-haughty-towards/straight-replicating looped beats.
    b, 21
    b, 21The Roots are retired from touring.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21But the Roots ROCK right?

• Goodie Mob rocks

Alot of the hate should rightfully be directed at the vast majority of MC's being very musically shallow and not talented enough to rock over anything other than hip hop covers and pseudo-funk.b, 21b, 21BTW Harv, have you ever seen Grimy Styles back an able MC (actual rapper, not dancehall/dub related)? That shit is hot.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Fishbone is a real band, not screened in by simultaneously acting-haughty-towards/straight-replicating looped beats.
    b, 21
    b, 21The Roots are retired from touring.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21But the Roots ROCK right?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21IMO ?uestlove is one of the worst things to ever happen to hip-hop. b, 21b, 21Dude can play...but he's spent way too much time trying to prove how much he doesn't have to really play. b, 21b, 21Cute for some, but ultimately img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/talib-doodoo.gif" alt="" /1 to me.

• What about DJ Quik's band...I hear they are sick. Doesn't Devin have a band too?

• screw all this nonsense. holler at me when you get familiar..b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.rareessence.com/images/new02_lg.jpg"1b, 21img src="http://www.elimin8.net/flix/3Im89_genghis.jpg"1b, 21img src="http://www.washingtoninformer.com/wk ofApril 20/AR-Church 4-20-06.JPG"1

• And naw, the Roots were great live in my experience.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Alot of the hate should rightfully be directed at the vast majority of MC's being very musically shallow and not talented enough to rock over anything other than hip hop covers and pseudo-funk.
    b, 21
    b, 21BTW Harv, have you ever seen Grimy Styles back an able MC (actual rapper, not dancehall/dub related)? That shit is hot.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Really? I've honestly gotten heavily annoyed pretty much any of the many times that I've seen Grimy Styles perform. They don't seem to be going much of anywhere with their music either.

• Teh Gaffler:b, 21b, 21More about Slim Charles' go-go group plaese.

Mike Dean in the studio is as live hip-hop band as I really wish to go.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Mike Dean in the studio is as live hip-hop band as I really wish to go.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I believe this is called acting OG for the sake of acting OG.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i saw too $hort & MOP perform with live bands earlier this year. they were both incredible.b, 21b, 21the band's solo stuff (no rapper -- "check it we're gonna cover a rap instrumental you know!") was boring as shit tho

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    The Roots hold down the stage. Can't really say I've scene to many other hip-hop "bands". Saw that group Galactica with Boots Riley and Mr. Lif. They seemed more like a jam band, best part of the show is when Boots ripped it. Been reading a lot of good reviews of Q-Tips band back'd tour.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I've been irked by rappers on SNL bringing on their whole live band and shit. I'm glad those musicians are making some money, but to me it's so much overkill. Plus they have a DJ doing little corny scratches! T.I. had Drama backing him and a band? Why not just Drama and T.I.? Not enough for Middle American to look at on stage? b, 21b, 21b, 21Here's a question: What's worse, a rapper(s) with a live band or a live band with a couple of vocalists, one of whom is a rapper?

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Galactica
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Since Harv's not including these cats, I think that means he's dissing all of NOLA.b, 21b, 21uh oh...

Money Waters?!!

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Mike Dean in the studio is as live hip-hop band as I really wish to go.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I believe this is called acting OG for the sake of acting OG.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Nah, it's just to say that I often love when rap producers incorporate live instruments into their repertoire. b, 21b, 21No problem with that whatsoever...but a full band dumbing themselves down to play hip-hop, no thank you.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21And naw, the Roots were great live in my experience.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Right? It's just too easy to hatt on the Roots - they've been doing it for so long, so it's easy to call their act cheesy and played out. Dudes still kill it if you ask me (retired or not). b, 21b, 21And NO, GO-GO is not hip-hop (unless the boy Wale raps on it).b, 21b, 21Need to find out more about this Foundation Band. Any band with Stokely from Mint Condition must be dope.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21No problem with that whatsoever...but a full band dumbing themselves down to play hip-hop, no thank you.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21To a dude that only thinks in extremes, I could see how this is the case every time. In reality however, it's not.b, 21b, 21Unless Z-ro and Trae start performing in front of a band... Then all bets are off.

Yeah, the live hip-hop band that I've liked the most over the years belongs to The Coup. b, 21b, 21And New Orleans-wise, dudes had live hip-hop down 100 years ago...it was just called something else...and IMO live hip-hop has yet to catch up with any of that. b, 21b, 21The Roots even went and finally added a tuba player...but he plays it like ?uestlove plays drums...half-assed. b, 21b, 21And on Money Waters...love his cd's, but his live show with a band is straight snooze to me.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Need to find out more about this Foundation Band. Any band with Stokely from Mint Condition must be dope.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Chris Dave (also from Mint Condition) is one of the countries top rated drummers, period. b, 21b, 21A lil more info/music on The Foundation can be found here:b, 21b, 21http://www.rappersiknow.com/tag/the-foundation//a1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Teh Gaffler:
    b, 21
    b, 21More about Slim Charles' go-go group plaese.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21ohhhh man, where to start with "The Ghetto Prince..." he's the frontman for Backyard Band, which has been around since like '94. dude IS that dude. he will hang with you, drink with you, whatever. my friend from HS, Reko the Dominican Cigar Smoker is good friends with him. he did of course disappear from the scene when he was shooting, but i've ran into him numerous times on the green line when going to my moms. i've got some of their albums on wax as well as CD if you want me to hook you up. also got some [newer] handbills for shows that you can have.b, 21b, 21this is their best one...b, 21b, 21img src="http://static.midomi.com/a/pop/cov200/drd100/d199/200_d19990347a7.jpg"1

• hating on live hip hop bands is so 2005.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21No problem with that whatsoever...but a full band dumbing themselves down to play hip-hop, no thank you.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21To a dude that only thinks in extremes, I could see how this is the case every time. In reality however, it's not.
    b, 21
    b, 21Unless Z-ro and Trae start performing in front of a band... Then all bets are off.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Z-Ro is great because his lyricism is just that other-wordly. He can also do many different things. In other words, his mouth to me is a full band onto itself. b, 21b, 21And admittedly, something that I would probably like about Ro performing with a band is that it might make him less likely to rap over vocal tracks.

• Thoughts on El Michels?b, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1