Why I hate live hip-hop bands...

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21hating on live hip hop bands is so 2005.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21agreed. im not mad at studio musicians getting money

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Thoughts on El Michels?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    object width="425" height="344"1
    param name="movie" value=""1
    /param1
    param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1
    /param1
    param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I like El Michels. The UBB instrumentals shit is phenomenal, but you're proving Harv's point by poasting this.

• I still haven't figured out why Harvey doesn't like live hip-hop bands. I've read his initial post three times and have failed to find any concrete detail that he hates...it's an entire post filled with generalities, assumptions and no specific points.b, 21How do 99.9% of all these groups sound the same?b, 21Lack of energy? Specifically, what is it that irks you so much?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Here's a question: What's worse, a rapper(s) with a live band or a live band with a couple of vocalists, one of whom is a rapper?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Damn...tough call, but I think a live band with several vocalists, one of whom is a rappeur, is a tad worse.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Z-Ro is great because his lyricism is just that other-wordly. He can also do many different things. In other words, his mouth to me is a full band onto itself.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Come on, man, that's a little overboard. Post an example of Z-Ro's "other-worldliness."

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Thoughts on El Michels?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /param1
    /param1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I like El Michels. The UBB instrumentals shit is phenomenal, but you're proving Harv's point by poasting this.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21True. I imagine most would look at this as an example of a band "dumbing themselves down". However, as many failed hip hop "bands" have proven, it isn't as easy as it looks to get the vibe you need to back up an MC. And that sort of vibe is what the El Michels affair have always been about (as opposed to more conventionally technical playing that I'm quite sure they are all able to do but rarely if ever offer on a record). b, 21b, 21I don't personally consider this an example of them dumbing themselves down at all. I consider it an example of them honing what they are best at down to the bare essentials ... something that is much more difficult than it looks/sounds.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Z-Ro is great because his lyricism is just that other-wordly. He can also do many different things. In other words, his mouth to me is a full band onto itself.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Come on, man, that's a little overboard. Post an example of Z-Ro's "other-worldliness."
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21About this, Harv is right and you won't see it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Come on, man, that's a little overboard. Post an example of Z-Ro's "other-worldliness."
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21For instance...take 2 of his first verse from Umm Hmm and get back to me in the morning.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I still haven't figured out why Harvey doesn't like live hip-hop bands. I've read his initial post three times and have failed to find any concrete detail that he hates...it's an entire post filled with generalities, assumptions and no specific points.
    b, 21How do 99.9% of all these groups sound the same?
    b, 21Lack of energy? Specifically, what is it that irks you so much?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I don't like funk-related bands that box themselves into such small compartments, thinking they automatically have to limit themselves for the sake of the mc.b, 21b, 21Bands with singers don't typically have to do this, and while I concede that some considerations must be made to accomodate a rapper, fools take it way too far with their all-too-basic structures and monotonous pulsations. b, 21b, 21And again, NOLA brass bands have had mc's doing call-and-response and whatnot from jump...and their music is typically as dynamic and funky as it gets. b, 21b, 21I guess what I'm saying is that I would definitely buy tickets to a live Juvenile/Rebirth collab.

• Thanks Harvey, I get you now.b, 21Well, at least on this poast.

• How does Rebirth rate as among other NOLA brass bands? b, 21b, 21they seem to have the highest profile outside NOLA due to their frequent touring and appearances particularly here on the W. Coast. as a result they are likely to be the one NOLA brass band that people unfamiliar with this music have heard of.b, 21b, 21but do they compare favorably against the best NOLA brass bands that don't tour? I'm assuming yes, but wondering nonetheless....

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Well first of all, because I saw Fishbone perform last night...which provides a perfect illustration of why 99.9% of any band that ever goes the hip-hop route sucks tremendously. Not only do 99.9% of hip-hop bands sound 99.9% alike, but within that little tiny zone of safety there isn't ever much worthwile happening. Shit is just too limiting in the worst possible way. Hip-hop bands across the board should be put out of our misery. Ain't nothing wrong with music made with samplers and keyboards...maybe in a live setting, it doesn't always translate to people's rock show expectations. But F*ck it, a good cd is a good cd and a good show is a good show and there's no written rule that says that they must always work in conjunction with each other.
    b, 21
    b, 21So anyway, why do you hate hip-hop bands?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21img src="http://therecshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/andy-rooney.png"1

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21How does Rebirth rate
    as among other NOLA brass bands? b, 21b, 21they seem to have the highest profile outside NOLA due to their frequent touring and appearances particularly here on the W. Coast. as a result they are likely to be the one NOLA brass band that people unfamiliar with this music have heard of.b, 21b, 21but do they compare favorably against the best NOLA brass bands that don't tour? I'm assuming yes, but wondering nonetheless.... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Dirty Dozen paved the way, then Rebirth set the standard for a new generation of brass bands. And while there have been many worthy upstarts, Rebirth still holds the crown.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    as among other NOLA brass bands? b, 21b, 21they seem to have the highest profile outside NOLA due to their frequent touring and appearances particularly here on the W. Coast. as a result they are likely to be the one NOLA brass band that people unfamiliar with this music have heard of.b, 21b, 21but do they compare favorably against the best NOLA brass bands that don't tour? I'm assuming yes, but wondering nonetheless.... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I am voting Hot 8, New Birth Brass Band and Lil rascals.b, 21But i am not from NOLA.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I am voting Hot 8, New Birth Brass Band and Lil rascals.
    b, 21But i am not from NOLA.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yep, good choices...but (and granted this was 4 years ago) when Soulja Slim passed, who led his parade?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    A friend of mine saw Fishbone a while back and reckons it was one of the best shows ever... the band members where swapping intruments mid way thru songs and not missing a beat apparently....b, 21b, 21The Roots I have seen live, on the same bill as Jurassic 5 (who were doing the straght up hip hop style) and The Roots KILLED it..... What I liked was that since they had a live band they used it, plenty of solos, a few medleys, some covers.... b, 21b, 21As for local hip hop bands I have never seen a shit gig by The Resin Dogs (they keep it more instrumental/dancey), and there was a dope Sydney band called Upshot which where more on the jazz fusion tip and they where super tight as well...they actually had a whole bunch of different MCs front them and they all worked...b, 21b, 21I have MC'd in bands, and from my expereince it comes down to one thing...Respect. If the musicians actually respect Hip Hop as a form of music equal to othe rforms of tradional music then I have found they sound fresh, they loosen up, they relax and dont try and dominate, they understand the groove and rhythem is the foundation, and they find creative ways to incorporate their musician skills with the overall sound...b, 21b, 21You play with some cunt that thinks hip hop is a retarded bastard version of music and it comes thru... I get that vibe watching some of those SNL style bands backing rappers.... Also, you need MC/Dj with the same attitude and respect for other styles of music or it wont work. I sued to sit there and play the bassist and guitarist of one of my ex bands old funk records, not hip hop tunes, to get them to understand the hip hop sound.b, 21b, 21I was in another band with a awesome guitar player and he schooled me heaps on blues, and he could identify that in the hip hop sound, so that was our reference point when jamming eg he had no problem playing rythem 'loops' cus he saw that as an extension of the 12 bar blues riffs...b, 21b, 21But overall its the funk/soul/jazz band with MCing over it that works for me.... not so fond of the rap metal rock mash ups....

• shits wack. i saw mop with a band, they came out saying that they never even rehearsed with them and never played with a band before. they also added, its not hip hop. they gave the band their due propers as they were good musicians and tried to capture what the real record sounds like, but they didn't really come close. it was the first time they played with a band and it was weird. b, 21b, 21fishbone is the shit though, they were just here last week. i haven't seen them since the early 90's though. Living Color opened for them in 88 just when they were getting big and everyone came going, "who is fishbone, why are they opening for fishbone?" the Living Color fans that stayed for fishbone left saying "who was that opening act?"

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Has anyone ever heard of 'triptik'... i think there french...they do west coast funk rap style tracks but played all live.... a few with MC's...but mostly instrumental and I think they play some of the synths/drum machines...b, 21I got a dub of a mate from Argentina, so i dont know too much, but they got a pretty fresh and distinct sound.....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Live instruments will NEVER eclipse the DJ. NEVER.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21shits wack. i saw mop with a band, they came out saying that they never even rehearsed with them and never played with a band before. they also added, its not hip hop. they gave the band their due propers as they were good musicians and tried to capture what the real record sounds like, but they didn't really come close. it was the first time they played with a band and it was weird.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Hold up... didn't MOP put out a shitty, stupid album with them backed by a crappy hard rock band a few years back??

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Has anyone ever heard of 'triptik'... i think there french...they do west coast funk rap style tracks but played all live.... a few with MC's...but mostly instrumental and I think they play some of the synths/drum machines...
    b, 21I got a dub of a mate from Argentina, so i dont know too much, but they got a pretty fresh and distinct sound.....
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I never heard them performing with a liveband. their livesounding sample tracks like this have never failed a dancefloor near me. one of the best party rap songs in french language imo...thx 4 bringing this up! "Shake your hair"!!!!b, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21monotonous pulsations
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I've found the name for my new live hip hop band.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21pulsatonous mutations
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I've found the name for my new live hip hop band.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21shits wack. i saw mop with a band, they came out saying that they never even rehearsed with them and never played with a band before. they also added, its not hip hop. they gave the band their due propers as they were good musicians and tried to capture what the real record sounds like, but they didn't really come close. it was the first time they played with a band and it was weird.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21must have gotten some practice. i saw them in chi w/ a live band and it was bangin. they used a dj with it too tho

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I saw the Roots last Saturday night (they haven't retired from live performance yet) and, of the four occasions I've seen them, this was the only time they were genuinely duff. It went from straight img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fire.gif" alt="" 21 (an amazing version of Get Busy) to jam-band img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/talib-doodoo.gif" alt="" 21 in the space of about fifteen minutes, and never really recovered. I mean, ten-minute drum solos? C'mon, man. Furthermore, I hadn't realised that ?uest and Thought were the only remaining o.g. members - everyone else apart from the percussionist (who was with them the last time I saw them) were new faces to me.b, 21b, 21A sub-par Roots show wasn't even the worst part of the evening. The between-sets DJ kept telling the crowd how it was going to be "real, non-commercial" hip-hop all night, and didn't play a single f*ckin' record that was less than five years old. Given that it was largely an older crowd, there didn't seem to be too many people who had a problem with this. On the other hand, I was probably at the older end of the demographic that evening, and I was bored shitless.

• Thing that bothered me the most at Roots shows was when "Scratch" would make scratching noises... incessantly. Coming through a mic and a huge soundsystem, that sh*t sounded like garbage. It was distracting and sometimes painful.b, 21b, 21The Electric Factoryb, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Still got love for The Roots, though.

• subsub 311 Posts
    pete philly and perquisite always have a full live band and they are incredible!b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21atmosphere with band is great!b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21black eyed peas were incredible back in the days? if you asked me they were even better then roots....

• object width="445" height="364"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21Whatever. I ain't mad at this. b, 21b, 21It works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Kind of depends on the people involved. b, 21b, 21If you want to see it done right, check out my bud Shorti C and his band Diasporic. I think they are playing Antone's on the 19th.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21pete philly and perquisite always have a full live band and they are incredible!
    b, 21
    /param1
    /param1
    /param1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21atmosphere with band is great!
    b, 21
    /param1
    /param1
    /param1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21black eyed peas were incredible back in the days? if you asked me they were even better then roots....
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Jam bandy...

• I am going to throw out a crazy concept here.b, 21b, 21If you hate something don't listen to it.b, 21b, 21We could use a "Hi Hateur" graemlin.