Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    $$$-wise, I picked this up for $1:

b/w

I pick up all my records for under $3.

• Purple Fox -Tribute to Hendrix
    Love- Out There
    both for free and some NfL and SOundStage Libraries that were a couple of bucks each

• I've always kind of hated these threads though. It's cool finding stuff for cheap, but I could care less how much I paid for my most cherished records.

it can get kind of grueling. especially seeing guys at academy look at their friend's listening stack, go: "got that, got that for 50 cents, got that for a buck", then everything gets put back and nobody buys anything.

at a certain point, you have to put a dollar amount on your time. it is probably no coincidence some of my best come ups have been during brief periods of unemployment.

but in the spirit of the thread:

incredible bong band s/t
    amiri baraka - it's nation time
    pandit pran nath on shandar

and loads of musical terds that are somehow coveted by others

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Off the top of my head..

Soul Makossa $1.98
    Jorge Ben, "Africa Brasil" $2.50

I know there are more

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Afrique Soul Makossa (no record)
    TODD (this is a 2500 US record.)
    Earl Klugh on Blue Note
    Leo Sayer Endless Flight (doubles)
    Big Busey Doin' Thangs
    Tuffy
    CSNY Deja Vu
    RAMP
    Litefrost (actually this was $3.99)
    Miles Davis Kind of Blue (80's press. I hipped Yuichi to this.)
    Joe Farrell canned funk on CTI
    Keith Jarrett records (YES, PLURAL.)

So many more...

• 10 cents -

$1 -

$2 -

$3 -

• I had this one spot (a thrift store that has since shut down) here in town that had sealed grails, and all their records were $1.69...I used to hit the spot about once a month

some highlights:

James Mason "Rhythm of Life" 2 sealed 1 Unsealed

James Conwell on Guinness 4 sealed copies

Formula One on Guinness 1 sealed copy

Weldon Irvine "Time Capsule" 1 Sealed copy

plus pulled about 7 OG Mono Deepgroove Blue Notes among other things...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

incredible bong band s/t

lol...file under "names that would have made sense in the 90's" and to contribute to this thread:

Staff Carpenborg for 75c

• I had this one spot (a thrift store that has since shut down) here in town that had sealed grails, and all their records were $1.69...I used to hit the spot about once a month

some highlights:

gotttttammmmm! stuff that addictions are fed on!
    no one else was hitting the spot up?? they would replenish stock with more grails? or would you be like "mmm, naaa, i'll leave that open JAmes Mason for next month."?

imagine all the hiphop joints you probably left!!!!

some highlights:

A local thrift shop with stuff like that and you only went once a month? Sheeeeit, I would have been in there every other day. I go to spots once a month that never yield anything...

• about 4 years ago at a "jumped the shark" yearly flea market i was circling the block (it all goes down around an old prison) like a dozen other philly record heads. everyone was skipping this one guys 4 ft stack cause he is a known pain in the ass and he was saying (as usual) "this stuff is great...ten dollars each this time". F*ck it, i take a look...low and behold, two copies of time capsule...one vg, one sealed. heads were salty.

ive since not been able to figure out which to keep, so i kept them both.

• Haha Tony you have like ten copies of certain records.

Tony's come ups are the only ones I like to listen to.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Can - Ege Bamyasi (og Spoon Issue) - $3

I've got bad news for you, bud...
    That I didn't get the UA og for $3? Yeah, that is bad news, but being a huge Can fan (and since I already had the UA release), anytime I can find any of their stuff for under $10 is a good find for me.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    baba yaga $2

ha, that's too much.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    24 karat black (a couple of times)
    sir joe quarterman (gsf)
    harlem river drive (a couple of times and the live lp;s too).
    marlena shaw:spice of life(first jacket)
    both haze lps
    kool & the gang (pretty much, all the ones that count)
    and several others.
    monks and nuns

all $0.25 or at the most,$5.00 maybe.
    More than likely less.

some highlights:

A local thrift shop with stuff like that and you only went once a month? Sheeeeit, I would have been in there every other day. I go to spots once a month that never yield anything...

well, when I first found it I hit it all the time, but soon realized the records were few and far between and that they didnt re-up very often...it was a clothing store mainly, the records were kind of hidden and I am pretty certain, from those finds that not many folks knew about it. Yes, I know I probably missed out on the hip hop rackords. But once a month seemed to do all right for me...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Earl Klugh on Blue Note
    Big Busey Doin' Thangs
    Tuffy
    CSNY Deja Vu
    RAMP

So many more...

This poast borders in being too mean even for me...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Earl Klugh on Blue Note
    Big Busey Doin' Thangs
    Tuffy
    CSNY Deja Vu
    RAMP

So many more...

This poast borders in being too mean even for me...

Sayin' though, that Big Busey LP doesn't show up everywhere.

• found many $100 plus and a couple $500 plus records for under $3, usually shit i didn't like that i sold, my most recent find was an ebay buy it now for $3 which is below

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    found many $100 plus and a couple $500 plus records for under $3, usually shit i didn't like that i sold, my most recent find was an ebay buy it now for $3 which is below

What is that??

• nice modern tune, seems to pretty unknown, saw it on an old sales list while searching the internet, it was listed as a minneapolis record, i just happened to check ebay right after and there was a buy it now copy for $3 so i snatched it up, the record is not from minneapolis as i originally suspected, my copy came from hawaii, other than that i know nothing about it, i think both sides are pretty good though

union pacific - when it was done

union pacific - need your love

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    nice modern tune, seems to pretty unknown, saw it on an old sales list while searching the internet, it was listed as a minneapolis record, i just happened to check ebay right after and there was a buy it now copy for $3 so i snatched it up, the record is not from minneapolis as i originally suspected, my copy came from hawaii, other than that i know nothing about it, i think both sides are pretty good though

union pacific - it's your love
    cool, interesting, not my thing though.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Much of my classic disco 12" collection I caught for $1-$2, but then again a good deal of my deeper rares were paid Market Value, so shit balances out.

Hey,

I got over 1,000 disco 12"s for free when I was 12 years old (thanks Uncles Phillip and Gary). It paid to be a youngin' in a music-loving family!!! Cosignage on "Just Outside of Town" by Mandrill (forgot about that one) which I caught on the cheap back then' (big ups to Bob Smtek at the old Muzik Hut in the Fayetteville Flea Market Mall). That spot was so good to me at pennies on the dollar.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    nice modern tune, seems to pretty unknown, saw it on an old sales list while searching the internet, it was listed as a minneapolis record, i just happened to check ebay right after and there was a buy it now copy for $3 so i snatched it up, the record is not from minneapolis as i originally suspected, my copy came from hawaii, other than that i know nothing about it, i think both sides are pretty good though

union pacific - need your love

union pacific were regulars around the hawaii club circuit in the seventies. they were originally from the mainland u.s., somewhere in the northwest if i remember correctly. that single was recorded in hawaii. there was another release of that single with a blank label and band info on the sleeve.

nice comeup. did you get that this past summer? i remember one on ebay, buy it now for $3 in august. it got swooped before i got a chance to pull the trigger.

need to mint up.

• I went to this antique shop i go to sometimes and the old man who owns the shop
    a. has occasional crates of hott records
    and
    b. is a big flirt
    he is harmless and adorable and walks with a limp and feeds the birds that come to his doorway.
    anyway he had that tom scott honeysuckle breeze shit MONO and he's no dummy and he knew it was worth dough and i asked him how much it was and he was like going on and on about how this record was gonna cost me hundreds blah blah. he would not tell me how much he wanted for this record, he was trying to be all mysterious, it was kind of annoying yet charming,
    so i just sat there and talked with him for a long time, about life and how everything is everything for what seemed like 2 hours and finally i said you're not gonna sell me that record are you? you're not gonna even tell me how much you want for it are you? and he said "you know what?"... "i want to just give it to you."
    what?
    yep. and i would have paid up for that album too, because though i wanted it for a long time i never sweated finding it before, i was unwilling to go to the 'bay etc, i was waiting for it to come to me because i find surprises far more intriguing than easy buys.

twas a gift, and all i had to do was just hang out and shoot the breeze.
    and don't talk shit because you all know you have harmlessly flirted your way into getting a free record, or at least a discount.
    ..... the hunt brings out the cunning within the lioness or in most of your cases the lion.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I went to this antique shop i go to sometimes and the old man who owns the shop
    a. has occasional crates of hott records
    and
    b. is a big flirt
    he is harmless and adorable and walks with a limp and feeds the birds that come to his doorway.
    anyway he had that tom scott honeysuckle breeze shit MONO and he's no dummy and he knew it was worth dough and i asked him how much it was and he was like going on and on about how this record was gonna cost me hundreds blah blah. he would not tell me how much he wanted for this record, he was trying to be all mysterious, it was kind of annoying yet charming,
    so i just sat there and talked with him for a long time, about life and how everything is everything for what seemed like 2 hours and finally i said you're not gonna sell me that record are you? you're not gonna even tell me how much you want for it are you? and he said "you know what?"... "i want to just give it to you."
    what?
    yep. and i would have paid up for that album too, because though i wanted it for a long time i never sweated finding it before, i was unwilling to go to the 'bay etc, i was waiting for it to come to me because i find surprises far more intriguing than easy buys.

twas a gift, and all i had to do was just hang out and shoot the breeze.
    and don't talk shit because you all know you have harmlessly flirted your way into getting a free record, or at least a discount.
    ..... the hunt brings out the cunning within the lioness or in most of your cases the lion.

Not that I've flirted (since I'm heterosexual and most my record dealers have been male, except for MILFy Donna at Paradise Music in Fayetteville who used to flirt with ME), but I was always real cool with the dealers. I used get hot joints thrown in with my pile (at the end of the cost count) on the humble. Bob at Muzik Hut was good for that, as were my peeps at Nice Prices Books (Raleigh, NC), Readers Corner (Raleigh, NC), the Record Hole (in Chapel Hill, NC), and the brotha that used to sell at Dorton Arena (Raleigh, NC; had mad come-uppages in his stacks). I was a weekly regular for years so I always got love.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

you all know you have harmlessly flirted your way into getting a free record, or at least a discount

• J_RoyJ_Roy 33 Posts
    off the top of my head...

aretha franklin - one step ahead 45 for $0.50
    bumps jackson - funky in jamaica
    wilfred 'wayne' mcghie 45 that i can't find any info on.

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    first to come to mind...

Soul Incorporated - My Proposal - 10 cents
    Ceasar Frazier - 70 - $1
    Del Jones - Positive Vibes (w/o the horns)- $1