Best Finds You've Found For $3 and under

Comments

• Why not make this thread a little more challenging huh? Seeing how we're all record collectors, finding $$$ records for cheap is basically the name of the game.

How about what record from your state or city have you found for under $3

- "Santa Came Home Drunk," Clyde Lasley (45)
    - "Shotgun Rider," Bo Dudley (45)
    - Rock & Roll Mass - Exceptions (7" EP)
    - "Handle It" - Soul Suspects (45)
    - "Destructo Rock" - JT IV (7" plays at 33)
    - Here They Are - Venturas (LP)

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Nothing super rare but off the top of my head ...

James Brown - Ain't It Funky - $1
    Curtis Mayfield - Back To The World - $2
    Hampton Hawes - Northern WIndows - $1
    Can - Ege Bamyasi (og Spoon Issue) - $3
    Donald Byrd - Ethiopian Knights - Free
    John Fahey - America - $3
    Electric Prunes - Mass In F Minor - $1

• Why not make this thread a little more challenging huh? Seeing how we're all record collectors, finding $$$ records for cheap is basically the name of the game.

How about what record from your state or city have you found for under $3

Found my Lee Gagnon: Jeremy for 5$ back in '98 in Mtl. Not 3$ I know, but damn, made my day... it used to float around that city a little back then. And hell, back then 5$ canadian was like 2.50$ american.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Thread over, you poptarts

Pack it up and go home

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I bought this the other day and didn't see what the fuss is about... ???!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I just sold my copy, 2 ok cuts, the rest was underwhelming. Cover is the best thing about it.

• This one for $2.50 a couple of months ago:

And this Lee Moses on eBay for $3 a couple of years ago

• This one for $2.50 a couple of months ago:

a lie you a tell.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some more I thought of:

-All the Funkadelic Westbound LPs
    -"Osmium"-Parliament
    -"What's Up from that Counts"-The Counts
    -"S/T"-Rasputin's Stash
    -"Construction #1"-Ten Wheel Drive
    -"Dawn of a New Day" and "Breeding of the Mind"-O'Donnel Levy
    -"Lost Man"-OST
    -"Grass is Greener"-Grassella Oliphant
    -"Come Into Knowledge"-Ramp
    -"Ptah the El Daoud" and "Journey to Satchidinada"-Alice Coltrane
    -"S/T"-The Persuaders
    -"Doin' What We Wanna"-Clarence Wheeler & the Enforcers

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• baba yaga $2

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    gary davis and his professor- chocolate star ep (super clean og) for 1 dollar at a bronx goodwill back in 2005.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    1/3 of my collection

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

It's local, too...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Can - Ege Bamyasi (og Spoon Issue) - $3

I've got bad news for you, bud...

Lee Moses
    lucky motherfucker

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

-Little Beaver- Do Right Man on Saadia

of the century.

As far as people bragging about never spending more than $3 bucks for a record... I dunno, seems like kind of a bizarre philosophy to me. When I first got into the record game, I was content with bringing back stacks and stacks of $1 LPs to check out. Eventually though you just end up a handful of nice things, and mountains of crap piled up in some corner you don't look at.

Shouldn't a good collection be more curated? Mine is probably like 50% dug/found/cheap random pickups and 50% targeted buys from shops or ebay. If I'm looking for a $10 45, and a shop has it for $10... I'll buy it. If I'm looking for a $50 psych LP, I'll save my pennies and take a stab at one on ebay, not cross my fingers and hope I happen across it at Goodwill before I'm 80.

I obviously understand digging thru nasty stacks of cheap records and occasionally finding grails, killers, and things you never knew about, but having your entire collection dictated by the randomness of what some other person happened to consider refuse that week? Just seems kind of haphazard.

• mistermayomistermayo Yonder 21 Posts
    Scored all these when I first got into records...

Dorothy Ashby - Afro Harping

$1

$1

$1

... recent bonus

$1 sealed w/book

• mistermayomistermayo Yonder 21 Posts

having your entire collection dictated by the randomness of what some other person happened to consider refuse that week? Just seems kind of haphazard.

Depends on where your priorities are, I guess.
    I lack the resources/time to dig seriously or score on ebay.
    Part of the fun for me is happening upon something good for cheap.

Good music is good music... there's nothing haphazard about that.

Peace,
    -e.

• having your entire collection dictated by the randomness of what some other person happened to consider refuse that week? Just seems kind of haphazard.

uhhh...have you ever considered how a used record store acquires its stock?

• having your entire collection dictated by the randomness of what some other person happened to consider refuse that week? Just seems kind of haphazard.

well, ive been blessed with wide-ranging tastes and living in a city with a decent used-record scene (even if it is shrinking, compared to 10 years ago). so spending $10 or more for a rekkid is something i do occasionally, not every damn time. besides, as hook-up just hinted, even when you do pay big bucks for a collectible record, YOU'RE STILL having your collection dictated by the randomness of some other person's refuse. its just marked higher.

and another thing (which im sure will get me The Big Ban from Soulstrut):
    I am not afraid of the reissue...

and another thing (which im sure will get me The Big Ban from Soulstrut):
    I am not afraid of the reissue...
    ha ha

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

having your entire collection dictated by the randomness of what some other person happened to consider refuse that week? Just seems kind of haphazard.

Yeah, but it's the store's job to sift through shitty collections. I also don't mind paying stores the market value on records, so I don't have to get my fingers dirty every waking hour of my life, hoping to score certain titles before I turn 80.

Here are some cheapies and freebies off the top of the dome:

Milton Hamilton "My Love Supreme" 12" - Free
    Steve Parks - All in a Day 7" - 50 cents
    Trinidad 12" 75 - Cents
    Thunderbolt "Love Is So Funny" 12" - $1
    Sun Palace - Rude Movements 12" - $1
    That Sergio Mendes 12" - $1

The list can go on for a long time...

Much of my classic disco 12" collection I caught for $1-$2, but then again a good deal of my deeper rares were paid Market Value, so shit balances out.

Probably the same reason 99% of the used record stores in the country suck.

• For a used record store in 2009, you either pay REALLY fair for good stock or you are the only guy in your locale buying collections or the store probably sucks. It's no coincidence everybody's like, "yeah found this rare local funk 7" for $1 at this shop where nothing was over $5 and the owner didn't care about anything but doo-wop, it's not around anymore though"

Probably my favorite rare record I ever found for under $3 was the Pataphysics LP for $2, but I sold it and then bought it again for 100 times that several years later. Same dig yielded the Michael Boothman 12" and The King James Version on ABC. But overall I can't think of anything too incredible that I found for dirt cheap. I mean, beyond standard stuff. Plenty of amazing stuff came in collections that sorted out to a few bucks/each, but that's different.

I've always kind of hated these threads though. It's cool finding stuff for cheap, but I could care less how much I paid for my most cherished records. I honestly don't even think about it. If pressed, I could probably remember... but it's just far less important to me than it seems to be to others.

• thrill of the hunt, hommie.
    youre mixing the appreciation of great music and the thrill of venturing into the unknown fog of dollarbins and thrifts and emerging with something worthwhile. i love hearing of peoples comeups. i'm also happy to drop loot on something ive wanted for awhile (cough byrdiegreengiceitup cough cough)

• There's so little unknown fog these days.

And so many people (some in this thread) that just flip the stuff they find there.

Grumble grumble.

• the unknown fog would be venturing into bins,fleamarkets,thrifts that have no guarantee of having hot records. going to your store is not an unknown fog, cause i know there is going to be a lot of heat contained within. its not much of a hunt...its like shooting fish in a barrel. i go to your shop when i want some dope records, musical expertise, and to see a storeowner who has been burnin trees on lunch break. i go to the fleas to get that exhilirating "what if the hands of fate dropped off a dope collection here this morn" feeling...although i usually leave empty handed. thrill of the hunt. one is a music based joy, the other's joy lies mostly in surprise and the satisfaction of bargain hunting redeemed.

DONT F*ck WITH ME JONNY!!!

• see you get married and youre already an old grouch

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    A couple of weeks ago I hit it lucky and found a copy of "the deirdre wilson tabac" for ??2.

• dope. i found for $2 alongside Gwen McRae Melody of Life at an outside of Atlanta flea market.