What are some good summer beers?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I rep for my local brew experience!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Great on tap with a nice fat orange slice squeezed off in zat beetch!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    if we're talkin' cheap beer that's a thirst quencher. I'm not ashamed that to rock

in fact after a hot summer night in the kitchen...I'd rather have one of these.

Cosign.....in the winter I like a Chimay once or twice a week....in the summer I like to splurge on a Bitburger Premium....but for the most part, a MHL will do the trick after a ball game or fishing in the hot sun.

Most of the guys I play softball with drink Budweiser after the game.....last week one guy brought a case of Busch and took a bunch of heat about it.

Then one of the black dudes on the team came to his rescue and said "It may not be the best......... " B[/b]ut U[/b] S[/b]ave C[/b]ash H[/b]omie"

the guys I started playing softball with are huge high life fans...Needless to say say I'm bringing a 30 pack tomorrow. Thank god they're not coors lite fans. High life is my version of lite beer!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

You have to go to Mexico for these, I've never seen them exported to the US, probably because they come in a deposit bottle.

you can buy these in LA along with the gordo regias and tecates.

Damn you, LA! I guess they have started exporting them, or you've been frequenting markets that are less concerned with import/export laws. You couldn't even get them in San Diego when I lived down there. I haven't seen them in the Mexican markets in my neighborhood, just Tecate and Carta Blanca.

I almost forgot my favorite 2 summer activities drinking beer and playing tennis.

you just can't beat it!

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Plaese to recommend some good white ales/wheats/etc. to enjoy during the dog days of summer.

I tend to knock back a lot of these little bombers when its hot out.

Plaese to recommend some good white ales/wheats/etc. to enjoy during the dog days of summer.

where's that from?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

one of the oldest beers in the world. praobably THE oldest brewery? you can study there. a friend of mine quit college to study in weihenstephan. the have great milk and yoghurt too!

What do you get to study at Weihenstephan? Beer and dairy making?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

one of the oldest beers in the world. praobably THE oldest brewery? you can study there. a friend of mine quit college to study in weihenstephan. the have great milk and yoghurt too!

yeah!

where's that from?

Hood River, Oregon. I don't know if they are distributed outside the Northwest, but they should be. The brewery, called Full Sail, has been making really good beer lately. The Session Lagers are kind of like an American pilsner (like Bud or Coors or something), but made with very good ingredients instead of crap. There is also something charming about the little bottles.

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts

where's that from?

Hood River, Oregon. I don't know if they are distributed outside the Northwest, but they should be. The brewery, called Full Sail, has been making really good beer lately. The Session Lagers are kind of like an American pilsner (like Bud or Coors or something), but made with very good ingredients instead of crap. There is also something charming about the little bottles.

They sell these in Phoenix.

But I refuse to buy 11oz bottled beer.

where's that from?

They sell these in Phoenix.

But I refuse to buy 11oz bottled beer.

But they are good, I tell you! Beer has been sold in those size bottles for a long time. When the Oly brewery was still making them we called them "stubbies." Isn't a normal size beer bottle 12oz. anyway? Not that big of a difference.

• one of the oldest beers in the world. praobably THE oldest brewery? you can study there. a friend of mine quit college to study in weihenstephan. the have great milk and yoghurt too!

yeah!

beer, dairy making and don??t forget landscaping!

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

You have to go to Mexico for these, I've never seen them exported to the US, probably because they come in a deposit bottle.

Damn you, LA! I guess they have started exporting them, or you've been frequenting markets that are less concerned with import/export laws. You couldn't even get them in San Diego when I lived down there. I haven't seen them in the Mexican markets in my neighborhood, just Tecate and Carta Blanca.

They GOT to have that somewhere in the Bay. Trader Joes Maybe?? You should check.
    The bar I have worked at for 5 1/2 years (portland, or) has stocked that in lieu of Corona since its been open...at least 7 years.

I remember getting Pacifico at TJ's in the 90's in So Cal in addition to Chihuahua which I haven't seen since I left L.A. Maybe Trader Joes would even stock it for you if you asked.

• lefunkmoblefunkmob 28 Posts
    Leaving lurker status for a second.

vanishes into the dark corners again

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

the funny thing is that when i peep out the window i can actually see the Weihenstephan brewery!
    the distance from my living room to the brewery is like 1000 meters... it's a small world!

Clear your sofa, I am moving to your house.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Tried it last night at the pub after seeing it in this thread. no doubt - even better than Hoegaarden?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Caguamas! Love how you can order those bastards in bars too.

Pacifico sons Tecate and pretty much all other Mexican beers in my opinion.

Possibly so, but does it come in cans for less than $10 a 12-pack?

yup

i remember going to visit a friend in san diego after not being there for a few years on a beautiful summer night and the first thing we did was stop and buy a case of tecate...

i drink it now in NYC in quarts for like 3 bucks...

i think this thread is split between white/wheat beer drinkers and lager drinkers... now i love me some white beers (DEF. gotta second the Boreale white beer, man that shit MIGHT be better than hoegarten...), but REALLY for summer, like SUMMER, Frickin' sun beating down, cookouts, nights on the fire escape, cooling down on a hot afternoon after helping someone move, i really like a CRISP beer, so i def. gotta second a lotta harvey's picks...

tecate
    red stripe
    modelo
    presidente
    yeungling

basically almost any latin american beer tastes wonderful ice cold on a hot day...

and i got nothing against the cheap domestics like miller hi life, PBR, ballentine...

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

That is the ugliest label design ever. Why do so many American microbrews have the worst graphics? That is some beer loving wookie shit.

Anyway, when its the dead of summer, hot and humid I ride for pilsners and not too hoppy IPA's. For American beers I like the Goose Island beers from Chi. And with the foreigns I usually go with the Germans, these two I like in particular Weltenburger and Einbecker:

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    basically almost any latin american beer tastes wonderful ice cold on a hot day...

and i got nothing against the cheap domestics like miller hi life, PBR, ballentine...

PBR is crap though, that's why they have it for $1 beer nights.

hi life - def refreshing
    ballentine - always reminds me of this really good night in New Jeruz where i had been drinking that on a deck with all these people and my friend entertained the idea of boogie boarding to Manhattan.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

That is the ugliest label design ever. Why do so many American microbrews have the worst graphics? That is some beer loving wookie shit.

I think they are targeting a certain demographic *cough* frisbee golfers *cough*

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    My beer of choice for the past three years of endless summer...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I just had a beer tasting party at my place a little while ago, and this was incredible:

Wiehenstephaner 1809 Berliner Style Weisse.

Tart almost to gueze levels, with citrus/fruit flavors all up in that bitch.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I just had a beer tasting party at my place a little while ago, and this was incredible:

I want some....NOW. Sounds like my kinda stuff

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I want some....NOW. Sounds like my kinda stuff

SO GOOD. I was surprised at how highly I rated it too. I'm an IPA man, and usually prefer a good double or triple IPA, but this ended up my second highest rated beer on the night out of about 40. Other honorable mentions from the evening include one of my favorites, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, and an Imperial Stout that I can't remember the name of at the moment.

• the funny thing is that when i peep out the window i can actually see the Weihenstephan brewery!
    the distance from my living room to the brewery is like 1000 meters... it's a small world!

Clear your sofa, I am moving to your house.

hold on, i have to check whether my girl can cope with that

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

They GOT to have that somewhere in the Bay. Trader Joes Maybe?? You should check.
    The bar I have worked at for 5 1/2 years (portland, or) has stocked that in lieu of Corona since its been open...at least 7 years.

I remember getting Pacifico at TJ's in the 90's in So Cal in addition to Chihuahua which I haven't seen since I left L.A. Maybe Trader Joes would even stock it for you if you asked.

Pacifico is pretty easy to find in the Bay, but only in 12 and 22 oz bottles. It's the quart bottle "Ballenas" that I can never find.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I just copped 2 bottles. Savin it for the Playoffs tonight.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    not a white/wheat/etc., but really nice when served extremely cold.