What are the good raps?

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Rick Ross f/ Jay-Z "Maybach Music" is my shit right now."Midnight Marauders". Damn it'd been too long. I was wrong, this is the best Tribe album and one of the best produced hiphop records ever.Been listening to the hiphop stations on XM on the satellite and hearing lots of good, random shit.Luniz "I got 5 on it". Damn I need this 12"."Slaughtahouse" w/ "Born to Roll" appended. GREAT. Was "Born to Roll" ever on 12"? I see there's a promo on ebay.Listening to "Philadelphia Freeway" or whatever it's called right now and "I ain't talkin' about chicken and gravy mang" finally makes complete sense to me now.

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    ummm what are the criteria here? any era, any genre?

• Yeah, what're you listenin to? New or old or whatever.

Not all that stuff is new to me. Just been diggin' on it.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    um I suppose now is as good a time as any to subject myself to Soulstrut ridicule by admitting that I have been listening to a lot of Casual lately. and not old Casual; I've actually been listening to his last couple of albums. Smash Rockwell and He Think He Raw. I can't front I think dude still kills it with his rapps.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Luniz "I got 5 on it".

I hate this song.

• Luniz "I got 5 on it".

I hate this song.

You like the Diddy song that used that beat instead, right?

How can you not like "I Got 5 On It"?

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    Been listening to a lot of Cypress Hill lately. "Black Sunday" is killin it. I always liked "Temples of Boom" growing up, though it doesn't get any love.

Been listening to Pete Rock's new LP for the last couple days along with this bootleg comp I got.
    Mostly been on the dancehall tip these days.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

How can you not like "I Got 5 On It"?

That's a good question

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Been listening to a lot of Cypress Hill lately. "Black Sunday" is killin it. I always liked "Temples of Boom" growing up, though it doesn't get any love.

You like those albums better than this one? That's downright criminal.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    AZ - Undeniable.
    Mighty Joseph - Empire State.

• Been listening to a lot of Cypress Hill lately. "Black Sunday" is killin it. I always liked "Temples of Boom" growing up, though it doesn't get any love.

For real.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    When I'm spinning I've been drawn to the Nas & Jay-Z tracks in my crate. I've been playing Nas - Surviving the Times almost every week.

Khia Shine - Bluff City Classic has been getting a lot of play too.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts

For real.

B. Real

• AZ - Undeniable.
    Mighty Joseph - Empire State.

I found both of these kinda weak, which is sad because I love Vast Aire's voice and delivery. Too bad most of what he writes is garbation. Especially recently. I don't expect much of his solo album that's dropping soon.

Good Rapps:

Big Boi - Royal Flush
    Killer Mike - 2 Sides
    The Kunx - Cappuccino Remix
    Grip Grand - Showtime (That's Entertainment)
    The Roots - 75 Bars
    Presto ft. Sadat X, OC & Large Professor - Conquer Mentally
    Slow Suicide Stimulus ft. Grandmaster Caz & Ann Webster - Roll Up

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts

nah their first is a straightup classic but "Temples of Boom" is a throwback to my youth. I like all their LPs except for the one from a couple years back.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That Frequency produced track from the EMC/The Show Lp - Feel It....

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The Game- Documentary
    The Game- Doctor's Advocate
    The Game- LAX (not yet released)

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The Game- Documentary

You sound like you're from L.A.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The Game- Documentary

You sound like you're from L.A.

No doubt. Everytime I turn on my laptop, instead of the Microsoft Windows sound, I get Westside Connection "Bow Down".

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    ----Been listening to Big Mike over and over and over on the cassette deck in the Jeep.

Before that, it was 2Pac's All Eyez on Me over and over for about 2 weeks.

I did just put BG's Chopper City in the Ghetto in today and expect it to stay for a while.

On a whim, I threw Pharcyde's Labcabin on the other morning but I didn't make it through the whole first side before ejecting it.

In my cd player at home, it's been Trae's Losing Composure for like 2 months.

In the Honda, it's been Guerilla Maab's Rise and Gerald G's Mr. 512 with a little of Ryno's They Call Me No, VIP's Underground Empire, and CVE's Villainism thrown in.

And a Texas-sized thank you to flatblackplastic for scoring me an ESG & Slim Thug - Getchya Hands Up 12.

Boss Nogg Outlaws 4 Life!

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    ----Been listening to Big Mike over and over and over on the cassette deck in the Jeep.

"fire" has been my shit since high school. i love that record.

i made a tape with that and ron c "pimpin lyrics" back to back to back to back.

"fire" has been my shit since high school. i love that record.

i made a tape with that and ron c "pimpin lyrics" back to back to back to back.

Here ya go, on me...

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    "Midnight" IS Tribes best album...

rap listens on this side are:

Steady B-Let the Hustlers Play LP
    Brotha Lynch Hung- Season of da Siccness: The Resurrection
    Young Jeezy-Thug Motivation 101 (can't get enough of this record)
    and
    Bubba Sparxx!!! No shit!

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    i'm still amazed that more people don't know "pimpin lyrics". i've never met a person outside of my highschool clique that knows that record. and that school was in alaska!

lathrop high represent!

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    i'm still amazed that more people don't know "pimpin lyrics". i've never met a person outside of my highschool clique that knows that record. and that school was in alaska!

lathrop high represent!

Is that the song that starts "run run run RON C!"? I bought that tape for no other reason than it had a explicit lyrics sticker in 6th or 7th grade. The first song on it was dope. "Trendsetter" was dope to me too.

lathrop high represent!

Is that the song that starts "run run run RON C!"? I bought that tape for no other reason than it had a explicit lyrics sticker in 6th or 7th grade. The first song on it was dope. "Trendsetter" was dope to me too.

My vinyl is saying that the song, at least the one's Jake is talking about, is titled "Funky Lyrics".

Is that the one, Cas?

First song on the C Ya LP?

Nope, google is saying that he had one called Pimpin Lyrics on 92's Back on the Street LP.

I never bothered with that one after getting burned by a couple really lackluster Nemesis albums.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Yeah, I'm from Dallas, but everyone I knew in 8th grade had C-Ya...Trendsetter was the jam we would test everyones home systems out with...I pause looped the slow part up on cassette and would just ride it in my room for 3 or four minutes. Also had a car 6x9 hooked up to my receiver in my room and would put the magnet side up to my ear to really hear some crazy ass bass. Damn 8th grade was fun...

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    it's on this album actually. it came after "c ya" (which i'm embarrassed to say i never heard in it's entirety).

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Street-Ron-C/...09096553&sr=1-4

track 9 has the audio sample.

it's on this album actually. it came after "c ya" (which i'm embarrassed to say i never heard in it's entirety).

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Street-Ron-C/...09096553&sr=1-4

track 9 has the audio sample.

Yeah, I kinda like the sound of that. Reminds me (kinda too much even) of jamming my Too $hort tape over and over and over in the summer of '89.