The Mother.Frickin' Gaslamp Killer

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Oh yeah, dude can kill it on the drums and has one of the nastiest Turkish psych 45 collections ever...

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Fuk the ghostlamp killer, I just noticed something new in this thread:

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    ...i've never gotten the whole hipster-dj name game.

I believe Gaslamp is the area he came from in San Diego....

that's how he came up with the name...

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    whoa...that's the name of a part of the city? wild!

then i guess don't tell him about "del mar destroyer"

• Options
    WILLOW VS. EGGPLANT XANADU: THE WIZARD ROCK SHOWDOWN!

where's that wizard rock graemlin?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

what's this dude from? i'm drawing a blank.

• Options

what's this dude from? i'm drawing a blank.

Crank Yankers?

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

Very animated !!
    dope! thanks for posting. looks like he increased his "fanbase" on soulstrut....

• Options
    DJ Swamp shits Gaslamp Killers.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    I believe Gaslamp is the area he came from in San Diego....

that's how he came up with the name...

Nah, I don't think that's where he's from. He did come up in diego though. I think with his name he's trying to say that he's not a typical "gaslamp" dj. The majority of dj's in san diego that are working in the club circuit are all djing in clubs/bars in the gaslamp district. Needless to say it's all commercial rap/house/mash up type dj's that work there. If you want to make a living as a dj(and not have a regular 9-5) in sd for the most part, that's the move to make and I think willow is the total opposite: He represents the music that he believes in and doesn't compromise for the sake of "makin it". I can't say too much about his music cause I haven't heard too much of it but I can say he is an ill ass scratcher. Moving to LA is the best thing for him cause in SD, nobody's supporting non-commercial shit unless a big headliner ie: out-of-towner is on the bill.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Nah, I don't think that's where he's from. He did come up in diego though. I think with his name he's trying to say that he's not a typical "gaslamp" dj. The majority of dj's in san diego that are working in the club circuit are all djing in clubs/bars in the gaslamp district. Needless to say it's all commercial rap/house/mash up type dj's that work there. If you want to make a living as a dj(and not have a regular 9-5) in sd for the most part, that's the move to make and I think willow is the total opposite: He represents the music that he believes in and doesn't compromise for the sake of "makin it". I can't say too much about his music cause I haven't heard too much of it but I can say he is an ill ass scratcher. Moving to LA is the best thing for him cause in SD, nobody's supporting non-commercial shit unless a big headliner ie: out-of-towner is on the bill.

^^^Truth

word, i got the story twisted... i knew it had something to do with that area tho... thanks for the clarification!

b

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i like the dude's style. i'm a big fan of doing what you do because you believe in it. his scratching is definitely good, so i'll ride for TMFGLK anyday.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Very animated !!
    dope! thanks for posting. looks like he increased his "fanbase" on soulstrut....

Sideshow Bob = TMFGLK? Not listened with audio, but dude's head-bobbing is seamlessly on-beat!

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    WILLOW VS. EGGPLANT XANADU: THE WIZARD ROCK SHOWDOWN!

where's that wizard rock graemlin?

oh shit! boston's own captain virt of the starship enterthighs..whoops i meant virt vonnegut!

• Options
    Sayin' I still have dreams of doing the Wizard Rap album with him.

Strictly Bo Hansson loops...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Say what you want but at least Will's not some internet troll yapping online, dude is out in the world doing his thing and love it or not it's pretty awesome to see people coming up. Super nice guy and very enthusiastic about the music.

More than I can say for most denizens of these message boards.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts

Say what you want but at least Will's not some internet troll yapping online, dude is out in the world doing his thing and love it or not it's pretty awesome to see people coming up. Super nice guy and very enthusiastic about the music.

More than I can say for most denizens of these message boards.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    i like dude's beats. and his two psych comps were pretty cool.

but he stole his title from mhe. mhe recorded a mixtape a couple years ago called gaslamp killers on the sound in color label. willow took that moniker as his own. then said he was affiliated with mhe. when he started blowing up on the internets, he repackaged the 'gaslamp killers' mix with different artwork and called it his own. that mix is not him. so after more beef, mhe changed their name to mrr adm to distance theirself from guy.

again, i like his beats, his sampling of turkish funk, son of spirit, etc is nice. and while he pretty much just straight loops stuff and adds a bass filter, i can get down.

i also ride for mhe/mrr adm though. my mind is being ripped apart.

the original gaslamp killers mix has an all black cover with an all black cd.

willow's bootleg looks like this:

• HamHam 872 Posts

he stole his title from mhe. mhe recorded a mixtape a couple years ago called gaslamp killers on the sound in color label. willow took that moniker as his own. then said he was affiliated with mhe. when he started blowing up on the internets, he repackaged the 'gaslamp killers' mix with different artwork and called it his own. that mix is not him.

damn!

• rookrook 357 Posts

he stole his title from mhe. mhe recorded a mixtape a couple years ago called gaslamp killers on the sound in color label. willow took that moniker as his own. then said he was affiliated with mhe. when he started blowing up on the internets, he repackaged the 'gaslamp killers' mix with different artwork and called it his own. that mix is not him.

damn!

indeed. the original version of the mix actually has about 15 more minutes of music. and the all black cd is neat. black data side even yo.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

damn!

indeed. the original version of the mix actually has about 15 more minutes of music. and the all black cd is neat. black data side even yo.

That is some cold, cold shit right there! Nice cover art though...
    So is this[/b] "I Spit On Your Grave"

http://www.fatcity.co.uk/sales/pages/MusicPageMoreImages.aspx?pageid=14325&mediaid=48476

really a mix by The Muther Funkin' Toupee Wearin' Gasface Chiller?
    Sound clips are nice, but now I'd also like to buy the OG Mhe Gaslamp Killers mix (but with the bootleg artwork!)

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    yeah, there seems to be a lot of controversy over that first mix. I don't think it really needs web gossip and the game of telephone from a bunch of people who don't know what really happened though. All I know is that Willow was down with them at one point, was involved in the mix somehow (even if, as claimed, it was only contributing some of the records that were used), and apparently they are not down with eachother anymore.

It does unfortunately put a negative spin on all of it, but until i hear some definite info on what happened I am not going to worry about it. Bottom line is that both sides are doing dope shit. Gaslamp has obviously proven himself in the many many live gigs he does. MHE reinvented themselves and are basically the talk of the town with that 10 inch. Both sides are doing their thing.

Willow is a great dj.
    MRR ADM are doing some mind blowing programming.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    dam, i wish i could get the rest of the mhe tracks
    so i guess willo was tony loomin?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    where can i get the Malcolm Cotto 10"

only link provided here was dead and where i work never restocked it

is it safe to say it is no more??

Hit me on the PM re: the 10"

peace.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

More than I can say for most denizens of these message boards.[/b]

DAMAGE!

nice to see strutters so positive about something that isn't on billboard's top 50 hip hop chart. Go Soulstrut!