Noel Gallagher: 'No Hip-Hop For Glastonbury'

Comments

• i am looking forward to seeing Jay-Z at glasto this year, i would never pay the ??40 to see him at some stadium gig and anyway i reckon this will be a better atmosphere. also if he gets piss bottled thats gonna be hilarious! ill always be a bit sad i missed the fiddy incident but i was right in the mosh pit with a bottle of vodka during the daphne and celeste set about 8 years ago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphne_and_celeste) Reading is a harder/crazier crowd by far!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    that Womble is playing a Rickenbacker

That Womble is Robin Le Mesurier, son of John Le Mesurier (a/k/a Sergeant Wilson from Dad's Army).

Dude with the Flying V is Chris Spedding.

serious knowledge dropped, nicely tieing in with the Hancock (Tony) thread

Back to Noel: so, the lack of a rock headliner has hammered ticket sales. Does that mean he is just voicing what the average Joe thinks?

If those comments are any measure, then it would appear so, yes. You'll have to go a long, long way to find so-called music fans as blinkered and reactionary as yer average British indie kid. This is a bit of a generalisation but at least with many C&W fans, there's no pretension towards being broad-minded or particularly discerning - they like what they like, and if it ain't either country or western, they don't wanna know. They don't act as if liking Travis Tritt or Reba McEntire automatically makes them smarter than anyone else, and I'm cool with that. Nowadays, indie kids seem to think that being into a certain kind of music (or, more accurately, choosing a certain kind of lifestyle option) invests upon them a degree of cultural and intellectual superiority by default, yet the tone of many of those comments suggests that some of the people responsible are giving serious consideration to standing outside the main entrance of the festival site with big-ass "NO DARKIES AT OUR GLASTO" banners.

sorry Doc I reckon that's BS.
    There's no racism going on.
    It's just young peeps doing what they've always done - believing they know best and certain that they are the coolest. That's all. And generally people don't like change, full stop.

Seriously. "NO DARKIES" Where did that come form?

Like Skel said, most youth tribes hate on each others choices. That in no way = racism.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    There's nothing wrong with those Gallagher brothers that couldn't be fixed by a good, solid beating.

I think I might save up ??150 to see that!

• There's nothing wrong with those Gallagher brothers that couldn't be fixed by a good, solid beating.

I think I'd do it for free.

PS I got your PM but was unable to respond...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    That in no way = racism.

Yeah, right.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Doc was saying the tone of certain comments implied racism (even if it isn't). I'd agree.

the attitude of the glastonbury crowd seems to be very much: hugging trees > black people

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There's nothing wrong with those Gallagher brothers that couldn't be fixed by a good, solid beating.

I still have fond memories of the day Liam had has front teeth knocked out, after picking a fight with the wrong kind of suited Italian gentlemen, in a German restaurant.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Doc was saying the tone of certain comments implied racism (even if it isn't). I'd agree.

the attitude of the glastonbury crowd seems to be very much: hugging trees > black people

WTF?
    a guy says he thinks it's wtf to have hip hop headling a trad rock festival and you want to paste some racist implication on top?

Jeez...............

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

who the fuck are the Ramones?

Ask Malcolm McLaren next time you see him.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I think I'd do it for free.

PS I got your PM but was unable to respond...

No worries, I've been keeping an eye-out for an affordable one - that's about as good a deal as I've seen on-line, may stumble across a real bargain in the field though.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Back to Noel: so, the lack of a rock headliner has hammered ticket sales. Does that mean he is just voicing what the average Joe thinks?

If those comments are any measure, then it would appear so, yes.

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=4592&edition=2&Labcabin=20080414162337

Oh boy, all the same old clich??s. I have to pinch myself now. Is this really 2008?

-----
    Hip hop consists of pieces of other peoples music slung together with someone chatting intimidatingly on the top of it all. It is not an art form at all, it is not original, it is a form of abuse for people who want to hear the same thing repeated over and over ad nauseum.

Bill, Bath

-----

Fuck these rockist cunts. Always and forever.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    At least he's descided wax is good for the eyebrows.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It's a little ironic that their attempt to attract a younger audience is based on getting a 38 year old guy who's had two UK top ten hits in his whole career. This isn't meant as a slight on Jay-Z by the way, just that he's never been that[/b] big in the UK in the first place, especially around the kind of crowd who normally attend Glastonbury.

There have been plenty of hip hop acts at Glastonbury before now. I don't see what all the fuss is about. They normally just appear in one of the smaller stages. (Which in my opinion is a much better way to experience them.)

Yeah, this is true. Furthermore, the acts that tend to get booked at Glastonbury are those acts who put on a good (and more of a conventional) live show - J5, the Roots, Blackalicious, etc. Nevertheless, and I said this when I first posted the rumour that he would be one of this year's main headliners, Jay-Z is more than capable of putting on the kind of show which would go down as an all-time classic Glastonbury performance. Part of the joy of Glastonbury is going along to check out an act who you've never seen (or even cared for that much) and being knocked flat by just how good they are in that kind of environment.

I think this is a brave move by the Eavises to avoid Glastonbury turning into a miserable indie-led shitfest along the lines of the hideous Reading/Leeds travesty. I hope it pays off, but at the same time I'm glad that Jay is also doing the Wireless fest in Hyde Park. It's nearer, plus I'll be able to get a freebie.

WTF?
    a guy says he thinks it's wtf to have hip hop headling a trad rock festival and you want to paste some racist implication on top?

Jeez...............

Welcome to the 20th Century, let alone the 21st.

Seriously, you can't even entertain the idea of a white crowd being threatened that a black man with his black music is surely going to destroy the integrity of their institution as racism?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

WTF?

Jeez...............

Seriously, you can't even entertain the idea of a white crowd being threatened that a black man with his black music is surely going to destroy the integrity of their institution as racism?

hahahaha

mad colour watchers etc etc

they just wanna hear some rock n roll fer crying out loud

that Womble is playing a Rickenbacker

That Womble is Robin Le Mesurier, son of John Le Mesurier (a/k/a Sergeant Wilson from Dad's Army).

Dude with the Flying V is Chris Spedding.

serious knowledge dropped, nicely tieing in with the Hancock (Tony) thread

If those comments are any measure, then it would appear so, yes. You'll have to go a long, long way to find so-called music fans as blinkered and reactionary as yer average British indie kid. This is a bit of a generalisation but at least with many C&W fans, there's no pretension towards being broad-minded or particularly discerning - they like what they like, and if it ain't either country or western, they don't wanna know. They don't act as if liking Travis Tritt or Reba McEntire automatically makes them smarter than anyone else, and I'm cool with that. Nowadays, indie kids seem to think that being into a certain kind of music (or, more accurately, choosing a certain kind of lifestyle option) invests upon them a degree of cultural and intellectual superiority by default, yet the tone of many of those comments suggests that some of the people responsible are giving serious consideration to standing outside the main entrance of the festival site with big-ass "NO DARKIES AT OUR GLASTO" banners.

sorry Doc I reckon that's BS.
    There's no racism going on.
    It's just young peeps doing what they've always done - believing they know best and certain that they are the coolest. That's all. And generally people don't like change, full stop.

Seriously. "NO DARKIES" Where did that come form?

Like Skel said, most youth tribes hate on each others choices. That in no way = racism.

You don't detect even the faintest trace of a racist subtext in the way that Jay-Z has been almost universally blamed for the "failure" of this year's Glastonbury before a single note of music has been played? It didn't completely sell out within 24 hours, therefore it must be because a rap act is headlining the main stage for the first time? You haven't read anything suggesting this?

Fair enough - must just be me, then.

WTF?

Jeez...............

hahahaha

Then all the hip-hop-is-not-a-true-artform-as-is-MY-guitar-based-artform b.s. should never have been brought to the table.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

"Emily Eavis, who runs the festival with her father, Michael, admitted she had "thrown a curve ball" to traditional festivalgoers. "Jay-Z is one of the biggest, most respected hip-hop artists in the world," she said, adding that he is reputed to have turned around the way black music is perceived in America. "[Black music] really was bling," she said. "And he came along, and him and Mary J Blige carried really important messages in songs. They're really important in a different way to a lot of other hip-hop artists. People might not expect him, but we have a responsibility to do something a bit different."

She sounds white.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

who the fuck are the Ramones?

Ask Malcolm McLaren next time you see him.

I can't believe it took so long for someone to pick up on that.

• Doc was saying the tone of certain comments implied racism (even if it isn't). I'd agree.

WTF?

Jeez...............

hahahaha

Then all the hip-hop-is-not-a-true-artform-as-is-MY-guitar-based-artform b.s. should never have been brought to the table.

Noel Gallagher has been slagging hip hop off for years. There is no doubt that he feels hip hop to be an inferior music form and if he doesn't mean it in a racist way then he ought to be careful what he says because it sure comes across that way.

WTF?

Jeez...............

hahahaha

Noel Gallagher has been slagging hip hop off for years. There is no doubt that he feels hip hop to be an inferior music form and if he doesn't mean it in a racist way then he ought to be careful what he says because it sure comes across that way.

It's not so much that he slags hip-hop off - I've heard that kind of shit from people like him a million times, and it doesn't actually bother me at all. I'd take it much more seriously if it was coming from somebody who knew what they were talking about. No, it's more his assumption that Glastonbury's principle function is the showcasing of pasty-white craptastic indie rock, and that any effort to deviate from that is somehow a betrayal of the Glastonbury ethos. I went to my first Glastonbury in 1985, when Black Uhuru were amongst the headliners, and in 1990 De La Soul played the main stage, so Noel's talking with his dick out. It's only since the mid-90s that the line-ups have skewed towards favouring whichever tiresome indie-rock drips the NME happened to be championing at the time, which is one of the reasons I didn't go at all for about twelve or thirteen years. The consequence of this is that you now have snotty little herberts getting all proprietorial over an event with a massively rich and diverse history about which they know very little.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "And he came along, and him and Mary J Blige carried really important messages in songs."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Quote="Why dont we just admit to the real reason why the dont want Jay Z or any other black artists playing at Glastonbury".

Mike J, London

What? Because he's a talentless, spolit little rich kid that claims he's from the hood and can't rap about anything other than how much money he's got and how many ho's he's sticking it to?

Not sure about the argument about other black artists though. Put Lenny Cravitz on or resurrect Bob Marley or Jimi Hendrix and I'll be more a happy bunny.

Vince Noir, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom

Where I live in the US we recently had the'Black Music Television'
    on the beach.
    If you enjoy watching a bunch of people with their pants round their knees and trying to hold them up by their crotch and can't understand what the hell they are singing about then why not?
    But since when did the Anglo Brit's have any kind of say or opinion with this kind of issue? If we opposed it I,m sure we would be called racist's.
    Brit working in US.

ann bennett

_________

"Hip Hop and Rap are not honestly "music" in the truest sense of the word, but are more along the lines of steady shouting rhyme with an ethnic base."
    What!!!!! Well define music then. Have you listened to Public Enemy, NWA, Run DMC ,De la soul and Immotral technique?. These artists are amazingly talented and create amazing sounds. Not only that they have someting to say ,something relevant socially and politically. "Slowly walking down the hall faster than a cannon ball". Noel Please shutup.

David Ellis, Salisbury

_________

Do we really want to hear about how much money jay z earns his cars and how much expensive champagne and ladies he makes love to.

No but no doubt he'll be telling us at glasto but i'll be at another stage watching real music and musicians.

Sorry but rap aint music and will never be.

Matt, Cornwall

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Jurassic 5 are bigger over here than Jay-Z.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    It really just sounds like the clutching at straws that happens when an artist realizes they are horribly out of touch with their demographic.

I saw the "smashing pumpkins" (or as we called them, "the billy corgan pumpkin affiliated tribute band") just recently and the crowd was mostly made up of people who would have liked them 10 years ago, rather than new fans.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Look what Emily Eaves said about his music. That's as bad as anythig southcrackalack quoted. That has to be some of the most disconnected ish I've heard in my life. Why didn't she just say "We wanted to book a Darkie who was doing that rap thing. It seems to sell well."

• Noel is qualified to speak on this.
    few of you are.
    rewind to 80 something - would homeys wanna see oasis at fresh fest ?
    no.
    moronic race crap a.p.f.u.
    dude had a rant - tek it at face value.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Noel is qualified to speak on this.
    few of you are.
    rewind to 80 something - would homeys wanna see oasis at fresh fest ?
    no.
    moronic race crap a.p.f.u.
    dude had a rant - tek it at face value.

????????????????

• no. she doesnt come round here.
    keep it on topic please.