Noel Gallagher: 'No Hip-Hop For Glastonbury'

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    "Toby Keith Live At Freaknik 2001"

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Are you really surprised that Noel Gallagher would come up with this shit? I don't really know if that dude has ever been connected to reality. His band is irrelevant now more than ever, I guess he needs to spout a controversial interview to even get a resemblence of his former public standing. It'd be like Paul McCartney or Eric Clapton trying to describe the state of Hip Hop, disconnected comedy. Oasis have always sucked goatballs too. The post about UK contributions to music was pretty sweet though, the who are the Ramones reply was hopefully meant as humor. Definitely cracked me up.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Are you really surprised that Noel Gallagher would come up with this shit? I don't really know if that dude has ever been connected to reality. His band is irrelevant now more than ever, I guess he needs to spout a controversial interview to even get a resemblence of his former public standing. It'd be like Paul McCartney or Eric Clapton trying to describe the state of Hip Hop, disconnected comedy. Oasis have always sucked goatballs too. The post about UK contributions to music was pretty sweet though, the who are the Ramones reply was hopefully meant as humor. Definitely cracked me up.

I cosign all of this.

• His band is irrelevant now more than ever,

unlike your own.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    His band is irrelevant now more than ever,

unlike your own.
    Genius! I'm sorry, I didn't realise that listening to music meant I wasn't allowed to form an opinion on it. Go back to pre-school & try again.

• Genius! I'm sorry

no need for apologies. we're all grown ups. thanks anyway.
    i didnt say you weren't allowed an opinion. i just happen to disagree with the opinion.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Oasis was actually a pretty good band. Heavily influenced but still solid tunes.

In a way i feel like they changed the way alot of americans felt about british music. Previous to Oasis, british music was all about techno. In fact most americans would assume techno was the only kind of music that british people have ever listened to. But then oasis came and removed that element from british music. Them and the verve. Both groups came out making music that wasn't techno. And who would have guessed that they would both be from england?

stone roses did it first and better.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

There have been plenty of hip hop acts at Glastonbury before now. I don't see what all the fuss is about. They normally just appear in one of the smaller stages. (Which in my opinion is a much better way to experience them.)

There have? I remember De La Soul about 15 years ago but can't think of (m)any since...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Could the reason be that tickets didn't sell out in a pico-second be that every f*cker is skint these days and forking out hundreds to stand and sleep in a field of piss and mud becomes less and less appealing to those who can actually afford it, now it's become "All corporate"?

I know plenty of hardcore fest-goers (the wife is one) and they go for the craic rather than to see some specific act. The headliners are irrelevant to the experience, at least for the folks I know. It's just that it's becoming more and more expensive in terms of getting there and staying there that they are questioning the value.

As for Gallagher, he thinks he's the most talented musician to have walked the earth. He's often funny, but not this time.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jurassic 5 are bigger over here than Jay-Z.

Heh, it's not the case now, but at one point during the mid-90s they were, in sales terms, one of the biggest US hip-hop acts in this country - probably only Puffy, Pac and Biggie were selling more records. Their debut album (which was basically an expanded version of that first EP) sold something like 70,000 copies, largely due to them touring heavily over here, particularly on the student/college circuit.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

No argument about the better quality of the Stone Roses output but, apart from them both being guitar bands from Manchester, the two groups aren't really comparable.

the two groups aren't really comparable.

Apart from Ian Brown being a massive cock too.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Noel is qualified to speak on this.
    few of you are.
    rewind to 80 something - would homeys wanna see oasis at fresh fest ?
    no.
    moronic race crap a.p.f.u.
    dude had a rant - tek it at face value.

"Moronic race crap", my arse. How's he qualified to speak on this? It's not like Jay-Z pushed Oasis off the bill this year. I mean, I like the guy but, as far as this is concerned, fuck him. He's clearly talking as a punter here, and he's talking out of his arse. Whether a rock band would get blown off by the audience at Fresh Fest isn't the issue. What Gallagher's saying is that there should be no place at an event like Glastonbury for one of the biggest rappers in the world because Glastonbury is a "rock" festival. This is absolute bollocks - it isn't, and never has been, just a "rock" festival. The breadth and diversity of the performers on show over the course of a weekend is what makes it unique. Where else could you see the Arctic Monkeys, Bjork, Tinariwen, the Roots, the Who, Toumani Diabate, Rufus Wainwright, Toots and the Maytals and Willie Nelson at the same event?

The depressing thing about it, Gallagher's rent-a-quote comments notwithstanding, is the way it's brought out the same old preconceptions and prejudices about rap music, the people who like it, and particularly the people who go to rap shows. Did you read any of the comments on that BBC story? Most of them are idiotic and many of them are downright offensive - people talking about how they wouldn't want to find themselves in a crowd with the kind of people who like rap, because they'd fear for their lives. It's ridiculous, especially when the same halfwits who criticise Jay-Z for "promoting violence" one moment are talking about how he should expect to get "bottled off" the next. Did the same indie-nazi fundamentalists who insist that "Glastonbury = guitar bands only" bottle off Robbie Williams - the very essence of an MOR pop act, and thus the opposite of what "their" Glastonbury supposedly is - when he appeared there a few years ago? No, they didn't, yet some of them appear to be considering it as a legitimate response to a rap act appearing on the same stage. And if that happens, and Glastonbury's well-earned reputation as a somewhat chaotic but peaceful event goes into the shitter, who do you think will get the blame for it? A few hundred narrow-minded middle-class white kids from the Home Counties? Or a rapper from Brooklyn?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Jurassic 5 are bigger over here than Jay-Z.

Heh, it's not the case now, but at one point during the mid-90s they were, in sales terms, one of the biggest US hip-hop acts in this country - probably only Puffy, Pac and Biggie were selling more records. Their debut album (which was basically an expanded version of that first EP) sold something like 70,000 copies, largely due to them touring heavily over here, particularly on the student/college circuit.

Short memories? J-5 also had a top 40 hit with Concrete Schoolyard, probably at about the same point that Jay-Z was still doing good albums - I've never been a fan, but I know that Jay obviously had some high-points in his career, and from what I can discern, it must have been his early material.

I really don't think race is the reason behind the hate for Jay-Z; as the collective UK 'we' has no recollection of the guy ever being 'on-his-sh*t'(see above), and his present public image is of a man talented at making money for money's sake (his hilarious monologue adverts in aid of selling cheap suits for loads of money, b*llshit phoned-in guest MC performances etc), it just looks like a Glasto sell-out. That's what the backlash is about imho... of course, nobody banging on about the 'spirit of Glasto' is going to be honest enough to admit that the festival sold out ages ago anyway.

I hear Jay-Z has done a good live show backed by the Roots? That would go down well... I would actually go along to that.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

The depressing thing about it, Gallagher's rent-a-quote comments notwithstanding, is the way it's brought out the same old preconceptions and prejudices about rap music, the people who like it, and particularly the people who go to rap shows. Did you read any of the comments on that BBC story? Most of them are idiotic and many of them are downright offensive

Mmm, yes, I'm not going to defend those comments. I think I'll actually wish a good gig to Jay-Z in case it opens the way for more acts I do like getting booked.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    more fuel for the fire:

Gallagher told Australian website Timeoff.com: "I Frickin' hate it, all the people that make that kind of music and all the people that buy it. When you see the videos of some guy throwing 100 dollar bills over a naked woman lying on a bed with a dog leash around her Frickin' neck... what the fuck is all that about? That to me doesn't seem to be right somehow."

He continued: "Back in the '70s and '80s, if that was done by a rock 'n' roll band, it'd be called sexist and there'd be shock, horror and outrage. For some reason, hip-hop artists tend to get away with that. It's all about the bling and the money.???

???The critical thing about these fuckers is they go on about 'increase the peace' and getting kids to stay in school, but they're all raving crack heads. It's a fake form of music to me, and they're all a bunch of idiots anyway."

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    more fuel for the fire:

Gallagher told Australian website Timeoff.com: "I Frickin' hate it, all the people that make that kind of music and all the people that buy it. When you see the videos of some guy throwing 100 dollar bills over a naked woman lying on a bed with a dog leash around her Frickin' neck... what the fuck is all that about? That to me doesn't seem to be right somehow."

He continued: "Back in the '70s and '80s, if that was done by a rock 'n' roll band, it'd be called sexist and there'd be shock, horror and outrage. For some reason, hip-hop artists tend to get away with that. It's all about the bling and the money.???

???The critical thing about these fuckers is they go on about 'increase the peace' and getting kids to stay in school, but they're all raving crack heads. It's a fake form of music to me, and they're all a bunch of idiots anyway."

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

"If Oasis[/b] were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains."

I agree with him about the dropping money and dog-leash bit though (I assume he's talking about the Fiddy/Dogg P.I.M.P. effort). Just seems to be enforcing the dumbest, dealer lifestyle as the only suitable role-model for anyone who aspires to f*cking women like that and driving cars like that. You can take a man out of the ghetto etc.

Of course, anything else would be .... But that's a whole different thread.

Didn't we have the "Never seen a good live hip-hop act" thread last week?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

There have been plenty of hip hop acts at Glastonbury before now. I don't see what all the fuss is about. They normally just appear in one of the smaller stages. (Which in my opinion is a much better way to experience them.)

There have? I remember De La Soul about 15 years ago but can't think of (m)any since...

The 'dance' tent line up from sunday 1999

Sunday: Introduction/Compere, 57th Dynasty, London Scratch Club DJ, Numskullz - live, London Scratch Club DJ, Roots Manuva, London Scratch Club DJ, Rae & Christian - live, Blak Twang, Jazz Fudge Co feat. DJ Vadim, Swollen Members, Taskforce, Kela & Sireman, Slum Village (featuring Jazzy Jeff), Scratch Perverts Inc. Tony Vegas, Primecuts, First Rate & Mr Thing, Dr Dooom feat. Kool Keith, Motion Man & Kut masta Kurt, DJ Noise & MC Supernatural, Jurassic 5 - live, DJ Cash Money, Roots - live

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    more fuel for the fire:

Oh, Noel...please come to the US and talk that complete bullshit.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Just seems to be enforcing the dumbest, dealer lifestyle as the only suitable role-model for anyone who aspires to f*cking women like that and driving cars like that. You can take a man out of the ghetto etc.

dude

You can take a man out of the ghetto etc.

uhhh where exactly are you going with this schitt?

• no Frickin' kidding..

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Quote="Why dont we just admit to the real reason why the dont want Jay Z or any other black artists playing at Glastonbury".

Not sure about the argument about other black artists though. Put Lenny Cravitz on or resurrect Bob Marley or Jimi Hendrix and I'll be more a happy bunny.

If he had to provide examples of other black rockers, couldn't he have come up with some less typical and played-out examples than this? Or maybe TV On The Radio (who did Lollapalooza last year) aren't well-known in the UK?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It really just sounds like the clutching at straws that happens when an artist realizes they are horribly out of touch with their demographic.

I saw the "smashing pumpkins" (or as we called them, "the billy corgan pumpkin affiliated tribute band") just recently and the crowd was mostly made up of people who would have liked them 10 years ago, rather than new fans.

well, what would you expect from a band who broke up and reunited?

not that im a fan of those guys, just sayin

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    why is gallagher so anti hip hop when he is so pro sampling?

exhibit A (just gotta listen to the first 15 seconds)

but for real, i guess you guys haven't heard of him before. all his interviews are like...they called themselves the best band ever...it what feeds the uk press, at least it used to. move on, nothing to see here.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Quote="Why dont we just admit to the real reason why the dont want Jay Z or any other black artists playing at Glastonbury".

Not sure about the argument about other black artists though. Put Lenny Cravitz on or resurrect Bob Marley or Jimi Hendrix and I'll be more a happy bunny.

If he had to provide examples of other black rockers, couldn't he have come up with some less typical and played-out examples than this? Or maybe TV On The Radio (who did Lollapalooza last year) aren't well-known in the UK?

I'm sorry, but the whole question of Glastonbury line-up being somehow racist is completely redundant. (the merit of the comments made about hip-hop is a separate case)
    I don't know how much most of you know about Glastonbury, what it is, its history ect, but there have, for many years been non-white / non rock, acts at Glastonbury.

The thing is huge, they have a 6 main stages, plus a lot of smaller stages, performance areas and more. You can spend 3 days just walking around it and still not see everything.
    There are two main stages, where you'll find the big name acts, (some people who've performed on them) - The Prodigy (dance act) Black Eyed Peas, Al Greene, Jimmy Cliff, Dame Shirley Bassey, Asian Dub Foundation, Bloc Party, Gogol Bordello, The Go! Team.
    Then you have the 'jazz world stage' where you can find; Toots and the Maytals, Lucky Dube, Roy Ayers, Manu Chao, Jazz Jamaica, Reprazent, Herbie Hancock, Abdulla Ibrahim, Courtney Pine, Burning Spear, Baaba Maal, Damian Marley, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Soil & 'Pimp' Sessions, Corinne Bailey Rae, Tinariwen, Mahala Rai Banda - Electric Gypsyland.
    And of course the dance tent, which could not exist without having a multicultural mix of performers.

I have no interest in defending a prick like Gallagher. Or any of the other comments made.
    But I 3 Glastonbury.