Noel Gallagher: 'No Hip-Hop For Glastonbury'

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Now, I like Noel Gallagher - he makes for a consistently funny interviewee, even if his band's pretty dull nowadays. But this just makes him sound like a prick. The comments are yet further illustration of the way we Brits continue to exert our cultural superiority over you Americans.That's a joke, by the way.

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I hear they want to screen "Hitman" at Stratford this year. They want to reach out to the youth.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    'gone are the days when a guy would turn up with a microphone and grab himself while wandering around mumbling'

-------------- thanks

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Glastonbury has a tradition of guitar music and even when they throw the odd curve ball in on a Sunday night you go 'Kylie Minogue?' [/b]

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The history of original UK music since 1950...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    what, you got no love for the Beatles, Stones, LZ, Bowie, Clash, Pistols or Orville?

that Womble is playing a Rickenbacker

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Underground, Overground...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

That Womble is Robin Le Mesurier, son of John Le Mesurier (a/k/a Sergeant Wilson from Dad's Army).

Dude with the Flying V is Chris Spedding.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    what, you got no love for the Beatles, Stones, LZ, Bowie, Clash, Pistols or Orville?

Not sure who Orville is....as for the rest of that lot.....

That Womble is Robin Le Mesurier, son of John Le Mesurier (a/k/a Sergeant Wilson from Dad's Army).

serious knowledge dropped, nicely tieing in with the Hancock (Tony) thread

Back to Noel: so, the lack of a rock headliner has hammered ticket sales. Does that mean he is just voicing what the average Joe thinks?

Not sure who Orville is....

Back to Noel: so, the lack of a rock headliner has hammered ticket sales. Does that mean he is just voicing what the average Joe thinks?

Or was managment anticpating the change in demographic, so as not become an old-
    man venue? Devil's advocate.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Oasis must have some sort of new release, thats usually the prompt for a lot of Gallagher shit-talking.

who the fuck are the Ramones?

"Emily Eavis, who runs the festival with her father, Michael, admitted she had "thrown a curve ball" to traditional festivalgoers. "Jay-Z is one of the biggest, most respected hip-hop artists in the world," she said, adding that he is reputed to have turned around the way black music is perceived in America. "[Black music] really was bling," she said. "And he came along, and him and Mary J Blige carried really important messages in songs. They're really important in a different way to a lot of other hip-hop artists. People might not expect him, but we have a responsibility to do something a bit different."

"Emily Eavis, who runs the festival with her father, Michael, admitted she had "thrown a curve ball" to traditional festivalgoers. "Jay-Z is one of the biggest, most respected hip-hop artists in the world," she said, adding that he is reputed to have turned around the way black music is perceived in America. "[Black music] really was bling," she said. "And he came along, and him and Mary J Blige carried really important messages in songs. They're really important in a different way to a lot of other hip-hop artists. People might not expect him, but we have a responsibility to do something a bit different."

She is so way off w/ her critque.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    who could forget when Jay-Z removed the bling aspect from hip hop.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Or was managment anticpating the change in demographic, so as not become an old-
    man venue? Devil's advocate.

Most kids seem to be into indie/rock these days, putting someone like Jay z as your headline would get you an older audience.

Glastonbury is a pretty hardcore experience, if you're going to do it properly. Most 'old men' could not handle it.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    "Jay-Z is one of the richest, least-hungry hip-hop artists in the world," she said, adding that he is reputed to have turned around the way black music is perceived in America. "[Black music] really was bling," she said. "And he came along, and sold-out any remains of an art so effectively that he's now pop. That's why he's really important in a different way to a lot of other hip-hop artists. He put a bow around (w)rap and sold it as pop"

"Glastonbury has a tradition of guitar music and even when they throw the odd curve ball in on a Sunday night you go 'Kylie Minogue?' [/b]

I thought that since it re-started in the early nineties, it wasn't until they added dance music to the roster that the festival exploded into the modern-day middle-class corporate funfair that it's become now.

Orbital, the Prodigy etc blew it up.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It's a little ironic that their attempt to attract a younger audience is based on getting a 38 year old guy who's had two UK top ten hits in his whole career. This isn't meant as a slight on Jay-Z by the way, just that he's never been that[/b] big in the UK in the first place, especially around the kind of crowd who normally attend Glastonbury.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Didn't 50cent got bottled off the stage a few years back at Glastonbury?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Personally, I think "rock' would be miles ahead of where it is now if this kind of thing was more prevalent. At least I would be entertained, contrary to most any rock band I hear these days.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

She is so way off w/ her critque.

Yeah, what would Jay-Z's important messages be?

I sold crack back in the day.

I racially stereotype the various women I sleep with.

I don't bite, I pay homage.

I have more money than you.

Did I mention that I sold crack back in the day?

It's a little ironic that their attempt to attract a younger audience is based on getting a 38 year old guy who's had two UK top ten hits in his whole career. This isn't meant as a slight on Jay-Z by the way, just that he's never been that[/b] big in the UK in the first place, especially around the kind of crowd who normally attend Glastonbury.

LOL Jurassic 5 are bigger over here than Jay-Z. I reckon his target audience have Grime MCs instead.

Didn't 50cent got bottled off the stage a few years back at Glastonbury?

Nah it was the Reading festival. And it was bottles of piss[/b]

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

If those comments are any measure, then it would appear so, yes. You'll have to go a long, long way to find so-called music fans as blinkered and reactionary as yer average British indie kid. This is a bit of a generalisation but at least with many C&W fans, there's no pretension towards being broad-minded or particularly discerning - they like what they like, and if it ain't either country or western, they don't wanna know. They don't act as if liking Travis Tritt or Reba McEntire automatically makes them smarter than anyone else, and I'm cool with that. Nowadays, indie kids seem to think that being into a certain kind of music (or, more accurately, choosing a certain kind of lifestyle option) invests upon them a degree of cultural and intellectual superiority by default, yet the tone of many of those comments suggests that some of the people responsible are giving serious consideration to standing outside the main entrance of the festival site with big-ass "NO DARKIES AT OUR GLASTO" banners.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

There have been plenty of hip hop acts at Glastonbury before now. I don't see what all the fuss is about. They normally just appear in one of the smaller stages. (Which in my opinion is a much better way to experience them.)

If those comments are any measure, then it would appear so, yes. You'll have to go a long, long way to find so-called music fans as blinkered and reactionary as yer average British indie kid. This is a bit of a generalisation but at least with many C&W fans, there's no pretension towards being broad-minded or particularly discerning - they like what they like, and if it ain't either country or western, they don't wanna know. They don't act as if liking Travis Tritt or Reba McEntire automatically makes them smarter than anyone else, and I'm cool with that. Nowadays, indie kids seem to think that being into a certain kind of music (or, more accurately, choosing a certain kind of lifestyle option) invests upon them a degree of cultural and intellectual superiority by default, yet the tone of many of those comments suggests that some of the people responsible are giving serious consideration to standing outside the main entrance of the festival site with big-ass "NO DARKIES AT OUR GLASTO" banners.

sorry Doc I reckon that's BS.
    There's no racism going on.
    It's just young peeps doing what they've always done - believing they know best and certain that they are the coolest. That's all. And generally people don't like change, full stop.

• There's nothing wrong with those Gallagher brothers that couldn't be fixed by a good, solid beating.