Noel Gallagher: 'No Hip-Hop For Glastonbury'

124»

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    "Back in the '70s and '80s, if that was done by a rock 'n' roll band, it'd be called sexist and there'd be shock, horror and outrage."

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

The 'dance' tent line up from sunday 1999

Sunday: Introduction/Compere, 57th Dynasty, London Scratch Club DJ, Numskullz - live, London Scratch Club DJ, Roots Manuva, London Scratch Club DJ, Rae & Christian - live, Blak Twang, Jazz Fudge Co feat. DJ Vadim, Swollen Members, Taskforce, Kela & Sireman, Slum Village (featuring Jazzy Jeff), Scratch Perverts Inc. Tony Vegas, Primecuts, First Rate & Mr Thing, Dr Dooom feat. Kool Keith, Motion Man & Kut masta Kurt, DJ Noise & MC Supernatural, Jurassic 5[/b] - live, DJ Cash Money, Roots - live

No Jay-Z? Jay who? Alright, I'll leave that one alone...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Quote="Why dont we just admit to the real reason why the dont want Jay Z or any other black artists playing at Glastonbury".

Not sure about the argument about other black artists though. Put Lenny Cravitz on or resurrect Bob Marley or Jimi Hendrix and I'll be more a happy bunny.

If he had to provide examples of other black rockers, couldn't he have come up with some less typical and played-out examples than this? Or maybe TV On The Radio (who did Lollapalooza last year) aren't well-known in the UK?

I'm sorry, but the whole question of Glastonbury line-up being somehow racist is completely redundant. (the merit of the comments made about hip-hop is a separate case)
    I don't know how much most of you know about Glastonbury, what it is, its history ect, but there have, for many years been non-white / non rock, acts at Glastonbury.

The thing is huge, they have a 6 main stages, plus a lot of smaller stages, performance areas and more. You can spend 3 days just walking around it and still not see everything.
    There are two main stages, where you'll find the big name acts, (some people who've performed on them) - The Prodigy (dance act) Black Eyed Peas, Al Greene, Jimmy Cliff, Dame Shirley Bassey, Asian Dub Foundation, Bloc Party, Gogol Bordello, The Go! Team.
    Then you have the 'jazz world stage' where you can find; Toots and the Maytals, Lucky Dube, Roy Ayers, Manu Chao, Jazz Jamaica, Reprazent, Herbie Hancock, Abdulla Ibrahim, Courtney Pine, Burning Spear, Baaba Maal, Damian Marley, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Soil & 'Pimp' Sessions, Corinne Bailey Rae, Tinariwen, Mahala Rai Banda - Electric Gypsyland.
    And of course the dance tent, which could not exist without having a multicultural mix of performers.

I have no interest in defending a prick like Gallagher. Or any of the other comments made.
    But I 3 Glastonbury.

exactly why this is such bullshit... i mean this is a band that prided itself on being anti-intellectual, anti-middle class, who bragged about their petty crime backgrounds, bragged that they spent no time at all on their lyrics (basically, a "i get high and write them all in 15 minutes" thing), bragged about how shamelessly they ripped off other songs (the aforementioned john lennon rip, the coca cola jingle they stole)...

and now suddenly they are the keepers of the true flame of rock? UGH...

at least john lydon has the sense not to defend rock...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    anti-intellectual, anti-middle class, who bragged about their petty crime backgrounds

They sound....

LIKE THEY TICK ALL THE BOXES TO MAKE MONEY FROM MUSIC.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Damn good. I had never seen that. well worth the 20 minutes.

Cheers.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Damn good. I had never seen that. well worth the 20 minutes.

Cheers.

Yeah, it's an interesting watch. You can certainly hear Zappas opponents' idiotic arguments resonate today as well - phrased a little differently, perhaps. They really gang up on Frank, but he holds his own!