which 1991 LP holds up better?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I just think its hard to learn about that shit for kids who dont really have an "in" to hip hop culture.

And I cant apply that to 50 cent and kanye and T-pain because I really dont think they make good music.

50 has made like 5 good songs maybe. Kanye has made maybe 10... t pain hasn't made any.

I know what you mean though... Sadly enough... I'll catch on and because a Jeezy fan in about 2 years... right when it becomes worthless as a DJ to be a jeezy fan.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think a lot of kids got into rawkus.... got into def jux or rhymesayers... then started to root out what they liked... and found the early 90s. So I still think kids are discovering a lot of that shit.

I personally still play tribe and pete rock and whatever because you'll never catch me playing some bullshit kanye west, 50 cent, or t-pain in the club. I mean... honestly... I'll take the stuck in the golden era dudes over the texas rap and jeezy fans anyday though. Honestly... good music is good music. People still bang the fuck outta james brown... should they get unstuck from early 70s funk?

YES!

Is from:

A. Norway

B. Sweden

C. Australia

???

• CraigCraig 269 Posts

vs.

discuss...

That's easy it's Black sheep.

Shame about the poor pressing though.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    '91 albums that u dont hear w/ the nostalgic crowd -

Mr. Scarface Is Back - Scarface
    Fruits Of Nature - The UMC's
    Straight Checkin' 'Em - CMW
    Penicillin On Wax - Tim Dog
    Aint A Dam Thing Changed - Nice & Smooth
    A Future Without A Past - L.O.N.S.
    I Wish My Brother George Was Here - Del

TIM DOG his stuff was awful. The decision to diss compton artist at the time.Man,when the Chronic came out...it's was over for alot of east coast artist. But, then mobb deep, nasir, Wu, Onyx & biggie really saved the east.

'91 albums that u dont hear w/ the nostalgic crowd -

Mr. Scarface Is Back - Scarface
    Fruits Of Nature - The UMC's
    Straight Checkin' 'Em - CMW
    Penicillin On Wax - Tim Dog
    Aint A Dam Thing Changed - Nice & Smooth
    A Future Without A Past - L.O.N.S.
    I Wish My Brother George Was Here - Del

TIM DOG his stuff was awful. The decision to diss compton artist at the time.Man,when the Chronic came out...it's was over for alot of east coast artist. But, then mobb deep, nasir, Wu & biggie really saved the east.

The Chronic wouldnt have its potency without Tim Dog's Fuck Compton.
    The West Coast woke the fuck up after that single.

Its argueably one of the most important albums in HIP HOP...IMO.

It singlehandedly created the East/West controversy.DEAL!

No Tupac vs. Biggie w/out Tim Dog.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

all true, but wasn't Fuck Compton the ultimate waaaaambulance track?

was it not a totally unprovoked attack by a jealous rapper who no one was checking for?

school me on the secret history of fuck compton.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Didn't Cypress get booed off the stage when they came to Summer Jam before the album dropped? I can't remember for the life of me who I heard that from, maybe Davy D.

Cypress wins for the production. It took me awhile to get over all their late 90s nonsense like "Insane in the Brain" that was drilled into my head in elementary and middle school to fully appreciate what a dope record that is. Some of the stories about linking up multiple SP-1200s are pretty crazy too.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Still disagree. The Cypress album sounded really dated to me within a few years of its release.

Agreed...I think I can narrow it down to right around when "The Chronic" dropped. Anyway I still love that Cypress Hill album but I think it's more of a nostalgia thing. If I heard it today for the first time there would be smirks galore.

was it not a totally unprovoked attack by a jealous rapper who no one was checking for?

At the time he was adressing the Industy's dick riding of any thing revolving around Compton.

Jealous.......Not to me. He didnt appear out of nowhere. Dude was on Chorus Line w/ Ultramagnetic.

History shows that whom he dissed came back at him harder, but that just proves my point that Dre and them were inspired by that shit, producing one of the greatest albums in any genre. MC Eiht came back as well. Dudes took notice.

Didn't Cypress get booed off the stage when they came to Summer Jam before the album dropped? I can't remember for the life of me who I heard that from, maybe Davy D.

Yeah,that did happen,but cats were stuck on stupid in NYC.

I remember them promotin the album here in NYC on late night Hip Hop shows before it dropped. I liked it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'll ride for Black Sheep because the beats on that record are crazy & they had a good flow. Cypress was cool, too, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Black Sheep. On the other albums, I'll take Ice Cube over Scarface & DJ Quik over Convicts.

• I'll ride for Black Sheep because the beats on that record are crazy & they had a good flow. Cypress was cool, too, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Black Sheep. On the other albums, I'll take Ice Cube over Scarface & DJ Quik over Convicts.

^^^^ yes on everything you said.

wasn't there some beef over michel'le (no more lies), that related tim dog to dre somehow?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

At the time he was adressing the Industy's dick riding of any thing revolving around Compton.

Jealous.......Not to me. He didnt appear out of nowhere. Dude was on Chorus Line w/ Ultramagnetic.

History shows that whom he dissed came back at him harder, but that just proves my point that Dre and them were inspired by that shit, producing one of the greatest albums in any genre. MC Eiht came back as well. Dudes took notice.

we come strapped > the cypress hill or black sheep debuts

Yeah,that did happen,but cats were stuck on stupid in NYC.

I remember them promotin the album here in NYC on late night Hip Hop shows before it dropped. I liked it.

No not even in NYC, I'm talkin about in the Bay, KMEL Summer Jam. Until the album got unleashed they were not really getting love from anyone.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Which holds up better?

or

I know that Cube made the more "important" record, but I'd say its the better one. I'll ride hard for the Scarface, but that record is almost in Random Rap territory for me. Unless its on some dude's blog, it doesn't seem to be talked about, which I think is the best way of defining Random Rap. And while I like the Convicts, comparing them to DJ Quik is kinda like putting up 2nd II None against Doctor Dre.

Which holds up better?

or

I know that Cube made the more "important" record, but I'd say its the better one. I'll ride hard for the Scarface, but that record is almost in Random Rap territory for me. Unless its on some dude's blog, it doesn't seem to be talked about, which I think is the best way of defining Random Rap. And while I like the Convicts, comparing them to DJ Quik is kinda like putting up 2nd II None against Doctor Dre.

you're in trouble......

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

"Latin Lingo" - YES

what's this? i thought u didnt like the raps?

admittedly, i slept on these guys. but my dude hipped me to this video which pretty much sums it all up. LA barely looks like this anymore.

• It took me awhile to get over all their late 90s nonsense like "Insane in the Brain"

insane in the brain dropped in summer of '93....it was their attempt to get the lollapolooza kids to slam dance with the bboys...recall the Judgement Night sndtrk?? fishbone w/ de la and other ridicilousities....Cypress Hill S/T still bangs in the trunk...the Latin Lingo Prince Paul Rmx was fire too....

latin lingo (blackout mix) was pretty awesome too

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    the thing about muggs was no one sounded like muggs. he chose the best riffs and licks.

muggs reminded me of a doper bomb squad.

um, uh-oh.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    muggs reminded me of a doper bomb squad.

um, uh-oh.

Maybe the Bomb Squad on more dope...........

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Maybe the Bomb Squad on more dope...........

And with much more diminishing returns.

On the real, though, that first Cypress Hill album is still a major influence on me production-wise.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I know that Cube made the more "important" record, but I'd say its the better one. I'll ride hard for the Scarface, but that record is almost in Random Rap territory for me. Unless its on some dude's blog, it doesn't seem to be talked about, which I think is the best way of defining Random Rap.

Mr. Scarface Is Back only talked about on blogs...my side is splitting over here.

Random rap...damn, you got mad jokes.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I think a lot of kids got into rawkus.... got into def jux or rhymesayers... then started to root out what they liked... and found the early 90s. So I still think kids are discovering a lot of that shit.

You know what I would respect out of these fools?

Black Moon Enta da Stage album cuts up in the club.

Dudes are supposedly into grimy shit.

How about MOP's Blue Steel up in the club?

The Choice Is Yours was Yo MTV's video of the year when it came out...i.e. not really grimy.

Instead, give us some Intelligent Hoodlum's Grand Groove. That would be great.

But nah, I guess that gravitating towards the real deal gritty shit that poseurs like Rawkus and Def Jux exist(ed) to fall short of copying doesn't necessarily cover the reason why some are content to hear TROY 40 trillion more times.

It took me awhile to get over all their late 90s nonsense like "Insane in the Brain"

insane in the brain dropped in summer of '93....it was their attempt to get the lollapolooza kids to slam dance with the bboys...recall the Judgement Night sndtrk?? fishbone w/ de la and other ridicilousities....Cypress Hill S/T still bangs in the trunk...the Latin Lingo Prince Paul Rmx was fire too....

Oops I meant to say "Rock Superstar"

• Didn't Zaggin4efiL come out in 91 also?

I lurv that CMW album from that year.

I think the Cypress has more songs I'd like to hear today than the Black Sheep, but "La Menage" is my favorite song out of the two albums.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    that cypress hill was official in the hood

Well then I guess we've found the consensus SoulStrut pick.

I heard that SoulStrut, too, is official in the hood.

Can any of our hood correspondents verify?

You are nothing short of hypocritical in your monotony.

Please to ride hard for some forthcoming album by a down south something or other.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

But nah, I guess that gravitating towards the real deal gritty shit that poseurs like Rawkus and Def Jux exist(ed) to fall short of copying doesn't necessarily cover the reason why some are content to hear TROY 40 trillion more times.

I don't think its fair to mention TROY with Rawkus & Def Jux. Convicts is Random Rap & maybe the first Scarface. I don't think either record would even have a fan base if not for Cocaine Blunts.