which 1991 LP holds up better?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    A combination of liking the safety of what they know and not being able to kick nostalgia?

To be fair, this may be a bit of a strawman.

Are there that many of these people left? There were lots of them on SoulStrut when I joined circa 2003, but most of those dudes seemed to have realized at some point that 1993 is not coming back.

There are plenty of them in Toronto. Even if new tracks get played, you cannot leave a show/party/club/bar night without hearing at least two tracks by Tribe, BSheep, Jeru...and oh yea, Time's Up.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm with you on abandoning those who apparently wish to relive that same The Choice Is Yours Rmx/Scenario/TROY excitement over and over and over and over and over and over again. Seriously, what is wrong with those people?

"Like Haysuess(Jesus)- as if such a person really existed- you won???t find us in any Temples of hiphop because they???re all hollow vessels of corruption and bogusness. Any crusader purist of hiphops past are just hollograms; ghosts in the machine screaming "yes yes yall" hoping to evoke the spirit of KidCreole. And you won???t find us singing like Magilla Gorillas in the window telling the world we???re "Crazy" even though we know we are. And we do like corruption by the way but only when we???re doing it. You might call us demons not because you view us as something bad for you. The opposite is true- we???re demons because we???re something good for you that you don???t want to eat, but what could be worse than all the bullshit you already ate. We know some of you???d rather have a K.West dick burger in your mouth because you thought a gay-rapper could save hiphop."

Even dudes wearing lip gloss can see it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    '91 albums that u dont hear w/ the nostalgic crowd -

Mr. Scarface Is Back - Scarface
    Fruits Of Nature - The UMC's
    Straight Checkin' 'Em - CMW
    Penicillin On Wax - Tim Dog
    Aint A Dam Thing Changed - Nice & Smooth
    A Future Without A Past - L.O.N.S.
    I Wish My Brother George Was Here - Del

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    A combination of liking the safety of what they know and not being able to kick nostalgia?

Are there that many of these people left? There were lots of them on SoulStrut when I joined circa 2003, but most of those dudes seemed to have realized at some point that 1993 is not coming back.

Oh, they're still around. Oh my yes.

Is the Choice Is Yours (Remix) even on the album?

Nope.

It is on the CD. Can't remember the cassette. Not the vinyl.

• Mr. Scarface Is Back - Scarface

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Color me but don't the throwback kidz love them some Mistadobalina and Dr. Bombay?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

So I'll take it that you haven't been to any Scion events the past few years?

Not that you should, but a Scion event may be the best way to prove that there are still far too many people who think that rap would be best served to reduce itself to 10 songs put out by Black Sheep, Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Brand Nubian, Diamond D, Showbiz and AG, and De La Soul released between 91-94.

Personally, I think rap would be best served if those people conveniently fell off the face of the Earth.

No, never been to one--I guess I'll just have to take y'all's word.

'91 albums that u dont hear w/ the nostalgic crowd -

Fruits Of Nature - The UMC's

I'm thinking you can hear both in a party with that crowd. Easily.

"One to Grow On" at the very least.

Which holds up better?

or

How about out of these?

Which holds up better?

or

I return to Scarface more than Death Certificate.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I could not escape that scarface at home

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    How about out of these?

This is especially difficult. Quik's production -vs- the pre-super smooth 3-2 and Big Mike's agg.

Which holds up better?

or

Same here, even though in '91 it was all about Death Certificate.

That, and of course large doses of this...

How about out of these?

This is especially difficult. Quik's production -vs- the pre-super smooth 3-2 and Big Mike's agg.

Quik. I ride for that Convicts but I cant listen to it str8 thru.

Which holds up better?

or

Same here, even though in '91 it was all about Death Certificate.

That, and of course large doses of this...

• The correct answer is Cypress Hill.

It was a better album then and is still a better album now.

And that's coming from soneone who has always really liked the Black Sheep album.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The correct answer is Cypress Hill.

And that's coming from soneone who has always really liked the Black Sheep album.

^^^^DID NOT REMOVE FISHERMAN CAP FOR A THREE YEAR STRETCH DURING WHICH HE ALSO BRAIDED HIS GOATTEE

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The correct answer is Cypress Hill.

And that's coming from someone who has always really liked the Black Sheep album.

Yepper. I really like that Black Sheep album a whole lot, but that Cypress Hill album? Got-DAMN!

As for Scarface vs. Cube...another really tough call, but I think I have to go with Cube's joint. Death Certificate is, to me, one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever recorded. Top 5 material easily.

• That Scarface has some of the best lines ever. That tape rarely left my car stereo in high school and will NEVER get old to me. Ice Cube, eh, I can do without him.

"Momma always said a look in the eye before you kill 'um"

"I'm on the for realla tilla my nilla, I'm a born killa"

"But this ass ain't made for no caps homey, this ass says 'Exit Only'"

"Later on, all alone, you know what happened next- Another bitch came by to give me sex.
    It was kind of strange I was thrown off-
    The last bitch got her head blown off."

I'd rather listen to the Scarface. After all this time, it still sounds like some the hardest shit ever. I think "Death Certificate" is the more "important" album but that's on some other criteria.

Both hold up but for different reasons, in other words.

Ice Cube, eh, I can do without him.

I never have dinner with the President.
    And when I see your ass again, I'll be hesitant.
    Now I think you a snitch,
    throw a house nigga in a ditch.
    Half-pint bitch, fuckin' your homeboys.
    You little maggot; Eazy E turned faggot.
    With your manager, fella,
    fuckin' MC Ren, Dr. Dre, and Yella.
    But if they were smart as me,
    Eazy E would be hangin' from a tree.
    With no vaseline, just a match and a little bit of gasoline.
    Light 'em up, burn 'em up, flame on...
    till that Jheri curl is gone.
    On a permanent vacation, off the Massa plantation.
    Heard you both got the same bank account,
    dumb nigga, what you thinkin' bout?
    Get rid of that Devil real simple, put a bullet in his temple.
    Cuz you can't be the Nigga 4 Life crew
    with a white Jew tellin' you what to do.
    Pullin' wools with your scams, now I gotta play the Silence of the Lambs.
    With a midget who's a punk too,
    tryin' to fuck me, but I'd rather fuck you.
    Eric Wright, punk, always into somethin', gettin' fucked at night.
    By Mista Shitpacker, bend over for the (gotdamn) "GODDAMN" cracker, no vaseline...

• I never really got into much of Ice Cube. I'ma gonna go back and revisit.

Still. I don't give a shit. Nothing can beat that Scarface. I'm a farilla tilla my nigga.

I never really got into much of Ice Cube. I'ma gonna go back and revisit.

Still. I don't give a shit. Nothing can beat that Scarface. I'm a farilla tilla my nigga.

BAN

• I don't give a fuck about the chatter in the background

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I think a lot of kids got into rawkus.... got into def jux or rhymesayers... then started to root out what they liked... and found the early 90s. So I still think kids are discovering a lot of that shit.

I personally still play tribe and pete rock and whatever because you'll never catch me playing some bullshit kanye west, 50 cent, or t-pain in the club. I mean... honestly... I'll take the stuck in the golden era dudes over the texas rap and jeezy fans anyday though. Honestly... good music is good music. People still bang the fuck outta james brown... should they get unstuck from early 70s funk?

• Honestly... good music is good music.

Agreed. But why can't you apply that to:

bullshit kanye west, 50 cent, or t-pain

I personally still play tribe and pete rock and whatever because you'll never catch me playing some bullshit kanye west, 50 cent, or t-pain in the club. I mean... honestly... I'll take the stuck in the golden era dudes over the texas rap and jeezy fans anyday though. Honestly... good music is good music. People still bang the fuck outta james brown... should they get unstuck from early 70s funk?

Nah but theres a gang of Hip Hop from the "Golden Age" that doesnt get light, and mad kids are stuck on 15 songs.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I just think its hard to learn about that shit for kids who dont really have an "in" to hip hop culture.

And I cant apply that to 50 cent and kanye and T-pain because I really dont think they make good music.

50 has made like 5 good songs maybe. Kanye has made maybe 10... t pain hasn't made any.

I know what you mean though... Sadly enough... I'll catch on and because a Jeezy fan in about 2 years... right when it becomes worthless as a DJ to be a jeezy fan.