Has anyone here ever NOT eaten McDonald's?

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    My mother grew up ridiculously poor in the hills of North Carolina...as a kid I was not allowed to eat Peanut Butter & Jelly because "that's what poor people ate". To this day I have still never tasted PBJ.

I'll let you in on something, Rock: it's really good.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who grew up Jain and has never had meat. (Hey, maybe he's never eaten at McDonald's....) Anyway, we were talking one time about fake meats and he said that he really likes imitation bacon. Then he got all serious and said, "So...actual bacon is really good, isn't it?"

It kind of broke my heart to confirm what he already knew.

Once again proving that bacon is the veggie/vegan killer. When folks discard their "I don't eat anything that had a face" stance, it's damn near always for some bacon. The power of swine compels you!

• McDonald's burgers have a unique taste that is unsettling when you stop and think about it.

sure hope you ain't confusing "unique" with "good"

• My mother grew up ridiculously poor in the hills of North Carolina...as a kid I was not allowed to eat Peanut Butter & Jelly because "that's what poor people ate". To this day I have still never tasted PBJ.

I'll let you in on something, Rock: it's really good.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who grew up Jain and has never had meat. (Hey, maybe he's never eaten at McDonald's....) Anyway, we were talking one time about fake meats and he said that he really likes imitation bacon. Then he got all serious and said, "So...actual bacon is really good, isn't it?"

It kind of broke my heart to confirm what he already knew.

Once again proving that bacon is the veggie/vegan killer. When folks discard their "I don't eat anything that had a face" stance, it's damn near always for some bacon. The power of swine compels you!

haha! the place i am going to dinner tonight has a pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon and grilled with yam puree port wine reduction. i am scared... but curious?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

haha! the place i am going to dinner tonight has a pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon and grilled with yam puree port wine reduction. i am scared... but curious?

It's probably not nearly as impressive as that may sound. Bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin isn't nearly as tasty as, say, bacon-wrapped hot dogs.

Not that I'd hate on anything bacon wrapped or anything...

I kind of blame ________ Bistro.

Jack's?

Give up the goods!

NY heads know the deal.

My mother grew up ridiculously poor in the hills of North Carolina...as a kid I was not allowed to eat Peanut Butter & Jelly because "that's what poor people ate". To this day I have still never tasted PBJ.

• haha! the place i am going to dinner tonight has a pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon and grilled with yam puree port wine reduction. i am scared... but curious?

It's probably not nearly as impressive as that may sound. Bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin isn't nearly as tasty as, say, bacon-wrapped hot dogs.

yeah, there was bacon in my lunch sandwich today. might be too much bacon for one day...

• I kind of blame ________ Bistro.

Jack's?

Give up the goods!

NY heads know the deal.

Corner Bistro might be blogged about and put up as something "in-the-know" people should, well, know...

But it's no McDonalds.

And these days, it sucks anyway.

Sorry.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I'd eat damn near anything if you wrapped it in bacon. Wrapping pork with bacon? Genius! (Actually, that entire entree sounds mighty nice.)

• theres a spot out here that makes a bacon maple donut. i think the popularity of that gastronomic combination has swept the nation.

I kind of blame ________ Bistro.

Jack's?

Give up the goods!

NY heads know the deal.

Corner Bistro might be blogged about and put up as something "in-the-know" people should, well, know...

But it's no McDonalds.

And these days, it sucks anyway.

Sorry.

It went south? I haven't been in at least a year or so.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

just to tie this into the thread, the mcdonalds here serve spam

• Well count me as a "what's the big deal" kind of guy, the few times I've squeezed into that spot I've left thinking it was some Emperor's New Clothes for the Sex In The City Set.

But from the people I talk to who actually sipped the kool-aid, yeah it's gone downhill.

Shake Shack on the other hand... one day soon, I say ONE DAY SOON-AH, my brothers and sisters, the sun will shine, I SAID THE SUN WILL SHINE! Women shall stop wearing as much clothing, I SAID THE WOMEN-AH, WILL WEAR MUCH LESS CLOTHING-AH, and there will be burgers - I said there-ah SHALL BE BURGERS-AH - in the park. In The Good Lord's name we pray. Amen.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Well count me as a "what's the big deal" kind of guy, the few times I've squeezed into that spot I've left thinking it was some Emperor's New Clothes for the Sex In The City Set.

But from the people I talk to who actually sipped the kool-aid, yeah it's gone downhill.

Shake Shack on the other hand... one day soon, I say ONE DAY SOON-AH, my brothers and sisters, the sun will shine, I SAID THE SUN WILL SHINE! Women shall stop wearing as much clothing, I SAID THE WOMEN-AH, WILL WEAR MUCH LESS CLOTHING-AH, and there will be burgers - I said there-ah SHALL BE BURGERS-AH - in the park. In The Good Lord's name we pray. Amen.

Bwahahahaaa I bet that's one year round thing you miss about LE LEFT COASTE.
    Shake Shack is another place I didn't get to hit while I was out there. I think it's time to come back out this summer.

• just to tie this into the thread, the mcdonalds here serve spam

spam musubis? i know they do the "big breakfast" with spam rectangles n such and the saimin thing. but spam musubi? how is mcdonalds rice?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Well count me as a "what's the big deal" kind of guy, the few times I've squeezed into that spot I've left thinking it was some Emperor's New Clothes for the Sex In The City Set.

Bwahahahaaa I bet that's one year round thing you miss about LE LEFT COASTE.
    Shake Shack is another place I didn't get to hit while I was out there. I think it's time to come back out this summer.
    man, shake shack was amazing. so simple yet so delicious

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

just to tie this into the thread, the mcdonalds here serve spam

spam musubis? i know they do the "big breakfast" with spam rectangles n such and the saimin thing. but spam musubi? how is mcdonalds rice?
    i think it's just some breakfast plate lunch thing, no musubis. i never tried the shit there, i only see tourists trying to live the hawaiian experience eat that shit

• tourists trying to live the hawaiian experience

like being lazy and picking off leper scabs?

I need to try Shake Shack. I keep hearing the best things about it.

The lines at CB are ridiculously annoying but at least when I've had their burgers in previous years, they've been rather astounding. I wouldn't say "the best I've ever had" since that's totally subjective...but good enough. It also helps that I've always gone there with my closest friends in NY so I always have fond associations with it.

• just to tie this into the thread, the mcdonalds here serve spam

damn i might have to go to mcdonalds just to get one of those. super extra throwable, be mad as hell to get hit by that.

nah actually it'd be pretty funny

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    [color:blue] [/color] Last time I ate at MCD was 4 years ago on a road trip to Monterey. When I was a kid, Happy Meals were the shit. Then my mom turned all self-righteous vegetarian on us, and I myself picked up the veggie habit in college. There's not much left on the menu to satisfy an herbivore. Still, smells good walking by.

• Depriving your daughter of McDonalds = cruel and unusual!

I kind of agree. As much as I dislike it, you can't front on the joy a Happy Meal brings

I admit I do order a happy meal when I go to McDonalds and I'm 27. I think just recently I entered a drive through at 3am in the morning and ordered parts of a happy meal and the cashier asked me why I didn't just order a happy meal. Surprised and as if I wasn't privy to order a happy meal at my age, I was most delighted to make it a consistent order since my discovery. I keep most my toys sealed just in case I want to sell them to a McDonalds toy collector. I had some folks come to my home and see my japan happy meal toys and offer cash in hand. I used to have McDonalds as a treat after a ridiculously early morning mass on my birthdays growing up.

White Castle; however, I am guilty of not having eaten this meal and don't intend to unless a trust worthy man can finish it with me without puking. I came very close with my very first order but it got lost and I was relieved of my duty call. I really wish some items could be accessible from my hometown such as the bacon potato pie in Chicago.

Distance from the things and people you love is a very harsh world.

• Options
    McDonalds makes some delicious food.

Perfectly engineered to taste the same every time.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    damn this thread has spiraled hella hoard.

Thanks for pointing out the lack of focus. So fitting especially coming from you! Thanks Young Moist!

• There were always lots of families there

Was it all one race? 'Cause BITD the Black McD commercials would only show Black families eating there and then the white families would show up so they could shoot the white McD commercials. Then, of course, the Latinos would show up eating un Mac Grande and a young Chubb Moist would be dancing the lambada with Grimace.

• [
    See how intertwined this whole fast food/family phenomenon is? /

HoLmeses, we'd spend every other weekend with Dad. Guess where we'd meet up on Friday night for the big switcharoo?

I know we weren't the only ones. They even made a movie about a group of divorced couples who would meet up at McDonald's to transfer the kids over.

• There were always lots of families there

Was it all one race? 'Cause BITD the Black McD commercials would only show Black families eating there and then the white families would show up so they could shoot the white McD commercials. Then, of course, the Latinos would show up eating un Mac Grande and a young Chubb Moist would be dancing the lambada with Grimace.

My McDonaldland memories include

A Mexican family that fit at a single 4-seat table!
    Black girl throwing up chicken noodle soup all over the floor
    Chinese man in the corner dipping his hand in water, then putting it down his pants.

Ahhhh, downtown Berkeley circa 1988.... things ain't what they used to be

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    My son is 5 and has only had McD's about 5 times, usually when we fly out of JFK because that's the easiest/cheapest food to cop in the airport. His best friend had a b-day party there and my boy kept calling the place "Old Macdonalds" because he's so unfamiliar right now.

I'm not trying to keep it from him forever, but he'll have plenty of time to gorge himself on that crap when he gets older. For now if he's content eating apples instead fries and juice instead of soda that's fine with me. Way too many fat kids out there eating potato chips and drinking sugar water as it is.

• When I was a kid I'd go with Pops to McDonalds on Mission/Geneva where he'd discuss cock-fighting with his crew of middle aged asian dudes. Schitt was the highlight of my week.