Has anyone here ever NOT eaten McDonald's?

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    When I was a kid I'd go with Pops to McDonalds on Mission/Geneva where he'd discuss cock-fighting with his crew of middle aged asian dudes. Schitt was the highlight of my week.

word to this, son. Moms used to take my brother and me to McDonald's every Friday for good behavior. McDonalds was used as some positive reinforcement/pavlovian response shit.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Has anyone ever had MCDonald's in a diff country/region?

I went to MCD in India and since most of India's population is vegetarian, there were lots of meat substitutes. Like potato patties to substitute beef/chicken patties. Plus Indian spices. I don't really remember, but I'm sure it wasn't bad if you like Indian food.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Haha damn I was wondering how this one got to be a 5-pager so quick.

Similar to what Jonny said, literally the only times I have ever eaten at McDonalds were when my Mom was really struggling with single parenting and money and just said whatever and treated us to Mickey D's. Going there was definately a way for her to blow off some steam and realize that she didn't always have to be the perfect parent.

That said, I am a native Vermonter who grew up in Berkeley and moved to Santa Cruz. This sometimes scares me, having only really lived in hippieland. I was raised eating very healthy, and fast food has always been out of the question with my dad, and I've always really appreciated the way my parents raised me in terms of food - now, as an adult, I really don't crave any fast food. I don't flaunt it, but I go through months of being a vegitarian without really thinking about it. I don't think that'd be the case if I was raised on fast food.

Oh yeah, and in CA, no excuse to go to McDonalds when you've got In-N-Out.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Depriving your daughter of McDonalds = cruel and unusual!

I kind of agree. As much as I dislike it, you can't front on the joy a Happy Meal brings

I admit I do order a happy meal when I go to McDonalds and I'm 27. I think just recently I entered a drive through at 3am in the morning and ordered parts of a happy meal and the cashier asked me why I didn't just order a happy meal. Surprised and as if I wasn't privy to order a happy meal at my age, I was most delighted to make it a consistent order since my discovery. I keep most my toys sealed just in case I want to sell them to a McDonalds toy collector. I had some folks come to my home and see my japan happy meal toys and offer cash in hand. I used to have McDonalds as a treat after a ridiculously early morning mass on my birthdays growing up.

White Castle; however, I am guilty of not having eaten this meal and don't intend to unless a trust worthy man can finish it with me without puking. I came very close with my very first order but it got lost and I was relieved of my duty call. I really wish some items could be accessible from my hometown such as the bacon potato pie in Chicago.

Distance from the things and people you love is a very harsh world.

I have not ever eaten WC either.

I do almost always order kids meals when I have to eat or am craving to eat fast food. That is actually what a standard adult meal looked like 50 years ago.
    small drink, small fry, small burger. But I haven't had a Mcdonald's burger in well over 10+ years. Breakfast is another thing. Guilty pleasure forever.

I don't remember eating at McDonald's much as a kid, we were that poor. It was pretty rare, but I still wanted it because you always want what you can't have...like those weird little onions.

McDonald's was also pretty far from where we lived, pretty much everything was far from where we lived. Now there is a Wal-Mart in the fields I use to run through as a child and undoubtedly a MCD's too.

Anyways, I do remember seeing a commercial when I was a kid about how mcd's hired the mentally challenged. On trip to Arbys with my family not too long after I saw it, my dad was screaming in the car how the person behind the box was a "retard"

I chimed and gave them my 2 cents :

"Maybe they have the same program as Mcdonald's?"

I was a kid and my whole family lost their shit at my remark. I tried to play it off, but it was pretty messed up now that I look back on it, I think I was being serious too.

I totally agree. That is one of the many things I miss about living in California, and Weed isn't one of them.

We do however have a NW only fast food place that uses all natural and locally raised produce and meat products. Though I guess I should take that to Stuffwhitepeoplelike.com.

• [color:green]I haven't had a Mcdonald's burger in well over 10+ years. Breakfast is another thing. Guilty pleasure forever. [/color]

I once strolled into a Mickey D's maybe fifteen minutes after they stopped serving breakfast. Asked for my then-customary Egg McMuffin, and the lady behind the counter happily informed me that breakfast time was over but I could now get Quarter Pounders, Big Macs, shakes...I was already approaching the door while she was still in the middle of her spiel. I turned back and the lady was looking at me like I was crazy for walking out on her, but I couldn't help it if the breakfast menu was the only good shit they had!

These days, I don't go to McDonald's for ANY reason - not even the breakfast - but when I was in college, I lived by those Egg McMuffins. That was my steez right there.

• Oh yeah, and in CA, no excuse to go to McDonalds when you've got In-N-Out.

I totally agree. That is one of the many things I miss about living in California, and Weed isn't one of them.

You lived in Weed, CA?

i might be the only person not feeling In-n-Out fries. I know they are made fresh but i am not used to that texture having grown up on the usual frozen-to-fried crunchy fast food joint fries. they seem stale to me

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

You lived in Weed, CA?

i might be the only person not feeling In-n-Out fries. I know they are made fresh but i am not used to that texture having grown up on the usual frozen-to-fried crunchy fast food joint fries. they seem stale to me

Naw - most folks I know think I N Out's fries are weaksauce, especially compared to the burgers.

As you note, it might be because they actually use fresh potatoes and dno't coat that shit with some crazy secret starch but I find their fries to be rather meh.

• Speaking about kids and McD's, I am pissed that my daughter gets really excited about eating McDonald's and then is all nonchalant about eating at restaurants. I tell her "We live in NY, one of the culinary capitals of the world! Fantastic new restaurants opening every week, so many different things to try! Exciting right?!" And she says, "Yeah, well, when can we go to McDonald's again?"

Speaking about kids and McD's, I am pissed that my daughter gets really excited about eating McDonald's and then is all nonchalant about eating at restaurants. I tell her "We live in NY, one of the culinary capitals of the world! Fantastic new restaurants opening every week, so many different things to try! Exciting right?!" And she says, "Yeah, well, when can we go to McDonald's again?"

INSIDIOUS!

For real, I can't know McD's hustle for getting kids to imagine they're the coolest place ever. Evil genius.

• Speaking about kids and McD's, I am pissed that my daughter gets really excited about eating McDonald's and then is all nonchalant about eating at restaurants. I tell her "We live in NY, one of the culinary capitals of the world! Fantastic new restaurants opening every week, so many different things to try! Exciting right?!" And she says, "Yeah, well, when can we go to McDonald's again?"

INSIDIOUS!

For real, I can't know McD's hustle for getting kids to imagine they're the coolest place ever. Evil genius.

Their advertising game is on permanent Michael Jordan 1993 style. They finally got PBS to let them sponsor and advertise during the kids shows! "Dad McDonalds can't be that bad if they give money to PBS kids!" F*ck that.

Speaking about kids and McD's, I am pissed that my daughter gets really excited about eating McDonald's and then is all nonchalant about eating at restaurants. I tell her "We live in NY, one of the culinary capitals of the world! Fantastic new restaurants opening every week, so many different things to try! Exciting right?!" And she says, "Yeah, well, when can we go to McDonald's again?"

INSIDIOUS!

Their advertising game is on permanent Michael Jordan 1993 style. They finally got PBS to let them sponsor and advertise during the kids shows! "Dad McDonalds can't be that bad if they give money to PBS kids!" F*ck that.

I love me my PBS but their underwriting makes me cringe, especially McD and Chuckie Cheese:

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

May I ask how old said daughter is? Just keep working to get her amped about NY restaurants. She'll still jock McD's, but at least you can show there's a yin to the yang.

I don't fucks with McDonald's anymore, but I'm not mad at taking kids there as long it's some special occasion/treat shit. I agree with O that there's some evil genius marketing/Kool aid sipping stuff going on with them.

May I ask how old said daughter is? Just keep working to get her amped about NY restaurants. She'll still jock McD's, but at least you can show there's a yin to the yang.

I don't fucks with McDonald's anymore, but I'm not mad at taking kids there as long it's some special occasion/treat shit. I agree with O that there's some evil genius marketing/Kool aid sipping stuff going on with them.

She's 7, and I am well aware that the attraction to McD's is all because of advertising. They are all over the saturday morning kids shows and now they are also on PBS. I've had conversations with her about what exactly she likes so much about the place, and it always comes down to the toy and the french fries. I'm not necessarily worried, she is a good eater, its just that going to McD's is a really big deal to her. I'm just glad that when they ask her what her favorite food is she doesn't yell out "McDonald's!"

My wife and I use to be very strict about McD's and I also think that is why she's so attracted. Now we'll take her, or a relative will take her, once in a blue moon, hopefully it'll start becoming less of a big deal.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

INSIDIOUS!

Taken from Wikipedia:

According to the book Fast Food Nation (2001), 96% of school children in the United States can identify Ronald McDonald[/b], making him the United States' most recognized fast food advertising icon. Only Santa Claus was more commonly recognized.[/b]

Now that is some scary shit.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    There's a McDonald's and KFC, right by my middle school, where the majority of students are either Black or Hispanic. I see kids walking there every afternoon. Talk about being socially responsible.

Drove through Baldwin Hills the other day, and literally every other store near Walmart is a KFC, Taco Bell, or Burger King.

Granted junk food is cheaper to make, like come on.

Discuss.

I think I'm about to boycott Hot Pockets. I had it for 3 breakfasts straight and I feel wack.

• Speaking about kids and McD's, I am pissed that my daughter gets really excited about eating McDonald's and then is all nonchalant about eating at restaurants. I tell her "We live in NY, one of the culinary capitals of the world! Fantastic new restaurants opening every week, so many different things to try! Exciting right?!" And she says, "Yeah, well, when can we go to McDonald's again?" She's 7

You just solved your own mystery: she's seven years old and just being a kid. When you're that age, Jay's Ok-e Dokie Popcorn is the equivalent of filet mignon. She'll probably appreciate the "fantastic new restaurants opening every week" as she gets older.

• There's a McDonald's and KFC, right by my middle school, where the majority of students are either Black or Hispanic. I see kids walking there every afternoon. Talk about being socially responsible.

Drove through Baldwin Hills the other day, and literally every other store near Walmart is a KFC, Taco Bell, or Burger King.

Discuss.

...and you were expecting Chez Paree?

I wouldn't want my kids getting obese off that shit either, but I'm not gonna get all preachy and self-righteous about it. Everything in moderation.

Yes, I know I'm the cat who said he liked going to White Castle, but (a) it's alright in its' place, and (b) I know not to go there every day.

There's a McDonald's and KFC, right by my middle school, where the majority of students are either Black or Hispanic. I see kids walking there every afternoon. Talk about being socially responsible.

Discuss.

...and you were expecting Chez Paree?

I wouldn't want my kids getting obese off that shit either, but I'm not gonna get all preachy and self-righteous about it. Everything in moderation.[/b]

Yes, I know I'm the cat who said he liked going to White Castle, but (a) it's alright in its' place, and (b) I know not to go there every day.[/b]

Try telling that to teens, who go there 3 or 4 times a week, when they should probably be forming good dietary habits. Def not one to preach, just stating my observations.

So who's to blame? Parents? Maybe. Who knows what sort of time and resource constraints people at the poverty line are facing though.

I still think ultimately, it's corporations cashing in on people's vulnerabilities.

You lived in Weed, CA?

HaHa, No, though I have been there on many occasions. I don't know what it is, there is something about Mt. Shasta that I am mysteriously drawn too.

• Speaking about kids and McD's, I am pissed that my daughter gets really excited about eating McDonald's and then is all nonchalant about eating at restaurants. I tell her "We live in NY, one of the culinary capitals of the world! Fantastic new restaurants opening every week, so many different things to try! Exciting right?!" And she says, "Yeah, well, when can we go to McDonald's again?" She's 7

You just solved your own mystery: she's seven years old and just being a kid. When you're that age, Jay's Ok-e Dokie Popcorn is the equivalent of filet mignon. She'll probably appreciate the "fantastic new restaurants opening every week" as she gets older.

*woosh*

it was never a mystery to me, just a frustration

• I had this shit today. BLLLEEARG! My younger cousin is visiting from El Salvador and out of all the food he could pick while visting he asked "quiiiiiizno's" or "mah'donnas". I've been farting all day.

This brings up another point:

Folks in countries like El Salvador; where people are experiencing for the first time fast food, globilization etc are REALLY unaware of the health problems and are eating that stuff left and right. It reminds me of the 80's and early 90's, people weren't really trying to hear "saturated fat" or "calories".

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    Unless my stomach is running on absolute empty and I need some substance - anything - quickly, eating at McDonalds makes me sick. Same deal with KFC and Taco Bell. There must be some common ingredient some where in the chain of the food processing that just turns my stomach. That said, the heavy-handed preaching about the "evils" of McD's and the whole geopolitical connotations of the company, annoy me (remember...mainstream, corporate mega-chain greasy food spots = bad for you! Obscure, greasy food spots = good for you!). I hope that's not taken as a personal attack against anyone here...I'm just speaking generally. We all treat our bodies like shit to some degree and in various ways, so there's no sense in finger pointing

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I havn't eaten the shit in 11 years. But im vegetarian so thats not saying a lot. Occasionally at 3am and drunk i would consume a "vegie burger" from hungry jacks but that was before i found New York Pizza Slice on oxford st.

• I havn't eaten the shit in 11 years. But im vegetarian so thats not saying a lot. Occasionally at 3am and drunk i would consume a "vegie burger" from hungry jacks but that was before i found New York Pizza Slice on oxford st.

i've been a pescatarian (vegetarian who eats fish) for 11 years. filet o fizish

• I havn't eaten the shit in 11 years. But im vegetarian so thats not saying a lot.

Its been 12+ years for me. I don't even eat them fries ..

• If I feel a burger jones coming on, I either head for Checkers or Red Robin.

• you guys will be pleased to know that tacos michoacanos 24+ on the blvd and soto proudly displays a sign that reads

OVER 5 ZILLION SERVED![/b]