Has anyone here ever NOT eaten McDonald's?

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I drove past a McD's over the weekend and noticed it said over "70 Billion People Served" (!!!!). It made me wonder, has anyone in the United States ever not eaten McDonald's? I'm not asking if you do or the last time, but has anyone been able to live a Ronald McDonald free life?

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    It's highly unlikely that anyone over 30 has avoided McDonald's. Despite being a slightly more health-conscious society these days, it is still highly unlikely that anyone under 30 has avoided it either. Kids love McDonald's.

It's been years since I've been to one (I usually opt for Taco Bell if I go the fast food route), but I almost went yesterday for some reason.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    i have a friend who is 29 and never eaten at McD's. serious.

• McDonalds makes some delicious food.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    We tried to keep it away from our daughter as long as possible but found out that our daycare provider served it up for someone's b-day.

• Depriving your daughter of McDonalds = cruel and unusual!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Freeing yr daughter from McDonalds = purest manifestation of parental love

Depriving your daughter of McDonalds = cruel and unusual!

At least she won't look like this:

We tried to keep it away from our daughter as long as possible but found out that our daycare provider served it up for someone's b-day.

That's what I'm saying. Even if parents make a conscious effort, it is raer for a kid to not have McDonald's at least once through one of their friends. Not to mention road trips... it's difficult to eat well on the road.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I have a hunch that every living organism on this planet has been touch by a McChemical at some point. Ever drive by and get a whiff of their fries cooking? Lord know what kinds of substances are still in your lungs.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I kind of agree. As much as I dislike it, you can't front on the joy a Happy Meal brings
    Remember when you were a kid? That little cardboard box and .10?? toy used to be the highlight of my little life back then.
    That said, I try to keep all fast food to a minimum for my kids. Maybe once every couple of weeks and when I do I change the fries to apple slices and the soda to chocolate milk :realdadsknowthedeal:

• I have been clean for over 7 years.

change the fries to apple slices

Now THAT is cruel and unusual.

• Depriving your daughter of McDonalds = cruel and unusual!

I kind of agree. As much as I dislike it, you can't front on the joy a Happy Meal brings
    Remember when you were a kid? That little cardboard box and .10?? toy used to be the highlight of my little life back then.
    That said, I try to keep all fast food to a minimum for my kids. Maybe once every couple of weeks and when I do I change the fries to apple slices and the soda to chocolate milk :realdadsknowthedeal:

Dudes seriously. Let's get a grip.

Oliver I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your daughter but I eat McDonalds - sparingly - to this day and the only thing I have to blame for my pudge is BEER AND MARRIAGE.

The only thing daddy and mommy barring their child from McDonalds will do is ensure that she tosses your packed PB&J when she's old enough and use her allowance on happy meals. Bet that.

• i've been to mcdonalds twice this decade.

Dudes seriously...

What does it matter, one way or another?

She's got her whole life time to consume fast food but we're not going to help her get there. (She's in love with french fires enough as it is already).

I wasn't really pissy at daycare for letting her share in the same food as her peers but I'm also not about to hit up a McDs if I have the option not to. We indulge plenty of her whims but the Golden Arches doesn't have to be one of 'em.
    It's not like we're raising her in the Esalen equivalent of Jesus Camp.

If people dig McDonalds, I ain't mad at that. I eat plenty of food that's bad for me. See tacohunt.blogspot.com

• tacohunt be sleeping on huntington park

tacohunt be sleeping on huntington park

It's a big city, duke!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Dudes seriously. Let's get a grip.

Oliver I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your daughter but I eat McDonalds - sparingly - to this day and the only thing I have to blame for my pudge is BEER AND MARRIAGE.

The only thing daddy and mommy barring their child from McDonalds will do is ensure that she tosses your packed PB&J when she's old enough and use her allowance on happy meals. Bet that.

This is possibly true, but you might see some long-term benefit. My parents didn't have a television in the house the entire time I was growing up on the theory that it would make me read and play outside more. It did. It also made me resent my parents, and made me ignore my grandparents in favor of their television when I stayed w/ them.

That said, in the long run I still read far more than the average person and watch far less television.

Of course w/ McDonald's there's alternatives... if the objection to McD's is partially corporate (rather than just based on health concerns), you can find Mom 'n' Pop ice cream and fries that are just as sinful and far tastier just about anywhere in the country.

Mom 'n' Pop ice cream and fries that are just as sinful and far tastier just about anywhere in the country.

Truth.

That said, McDonalds old school fries were the SHIT.

Fried in beef tallow =

b/w

• Dudes seriously...

What does it matter, one way or another?

She's got her whole life time to consume fast food but we're not going to help her get there. (She's in love with french fires enough as it is already).

I wasn't really pissy at daycare for letting her share in the same food as her peers but I'm also not about to hit up a McDs if I have the option not to. We indulge plenty of her whims but the Golden Arches doesn't have to be one of 'em.
    It's not like we're raising her in the Esalen equivalent of Jesus Camp.

If people dig McDonalds, I ain't mad at that. I eat plenty of food that's bad for me. See tacohunt.blogspot.com

oliver i think you are doing the right thing by not tainting her taste buds with that crap. if by some off chance i end up being a daddy some day i will do the same.

i have a friend who is 29 and never eaten at McD's. serious.

I'm still bugging out about this.

Were they raised vegan or some shit?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    No doubt, Oliver...I support your stance 100%. Aside from pizza, my daughter has yet to eat any big chain fast food...and we hope to keep it that way for as long as possible.

• tacohunt be sleeping on huntington park

It's a big city, duke!

this is true, but it also helps to not waste your time in santa monica and the westside looking for taco trucks.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I have a hunch that every living organism on this planet has been touch by a McChemical at some point.

What was that catch-phrase they had a while ago?

"There's a little bit in all of us"? Something like that?

• I'd be mad as hell at my parents if they forbade me to eat McDonalds!

My dad used to have Wednesdays to take me and my sister out to dinner. Apart from every other weekend at his place, that was the only time we ever got to see him. More often than not, we'd end up at BK or McDonalds because that's what he could afford at the time. There were always lots of families there, the food was tasty, it was a nice time. As a somewhat well-adjusted kid (now adult) I have learned to moderate my fast food intake. Even moderately concerned parents can manage this. You don't need to treat it like asbestos or cigarettes.

Like I said, it's your kid and your decision. Just saying dude, you sounded pretty "Berkeley" there! I knew this kid growing up who would eat cottage cheese and fruit and trail mix for lunch and talk trash about all the kids eating McD's and pizza. Predictably he got made fun of, pants'd, and pushed around all the time.

Don't be that dad, Oliver!!

• RerogRerog 569 Posts

- to this day and the only thing I have to blame for my pudge is BEER AND MARRIAGE.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

This is possibly true, but you might see some long-term benefit. My parents didn't have a television in the house the entire time I was growing up on the theory that it would make me read and play outside more. It did. It also made me resent my parents, and made me ignore my grandparents in favor of their television when I stayed w/ them.

That said, in the long run I still read far more than the average person and watch far less television.

Of course w/ McDonald's there's alternatives... if the objection to McD's is partially corporate (rather than just based on health concerns), you can find Mom 'n' Pop ice cream and fries that are just as sinful and far tastier just about anywhere in the country.

That is definitely an argument I support. It's not like you're saying 'YOU can NEVER have McDonalds in your life." I mean, you'd be pretty naive to thnik you could achieve that even if it was a desirec outcome. All I know is that when i was 4 a lady handed me a jellybean and having never had lollies up until that point, I thought it was a peice of plastic and just handed it to my mum. I think that was a good thing.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Weren't you the same dude dissing MickeyD's breakfast?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'd be mad as hell at my parents if they forbade me to eat McDonalds!

My dad used to have Wednesdays to take me and my sister out to dinner. Apart from every other weekend at his place, that was the only time we ever got to see him. More often than not, we'd end up at BK or McDonalds because that's what he could afford at the time. There were always lots of families there, the food was tasty, it was a nice time. As a somewhat well-adjusted kid (now adult) I have learned to moderate my fast food intake. Even moderately concerned parents can manage this. You don't need to treat it like asbestos or cigarettes.

Like I said, it's your kid and your decision. Just saying dude, you sounded pretty "Berkeley" there! I knew this kid growing up who would eat cottage cheese and fruit and trail mix for lunch and talk trash about all the kids eating McD's and pizza. Predictably he got made fun of, pants'd, and pushed around all the time.

Don't be that dad, Oliver!!

While I can certainly understand the connection you have between your father and McDonalds, the rest of your post screams...maybe Jonny has some things to seriously think about before ever becoming a father.

It's one thing not to name your son Sailor since it will one day lead to him being picked on. But to say...feed your daughter complete garbage just so fatass Billy pimple face won't get threatened that she's different from him 10 years down the road is absolute parental

Sorry, but it is.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

My dad used to have Wednesdays to take me and my sister out to dinner. Apart from every other weekend at his place, that was the only time we ever got to see him. More often than not, we'd end up at BK or McDonalds because that's what he could afford at the time.

Dude.

My dad used to have TUESDAYS to take me out to dinner. Apart from every other weekend at his place, that was the only time I ever got to see him. More often than not, we'd end up at McDonalds or Carl's Jr. because that's what he could afford at the time.

He used to tell me "get a .99 Famous Star with cheese, ask for a side of BBQ sauce and we'll split an order of onion rings. That's just like a Western Bacon Cheesburger."

See how intertwined this whole fast food/family phenomenon is?