The Wire Season 5 SPOILER Thread

Comments

• I mean, now that we've seen Poot, there's just a handful of cats left on this reunion/farewell tour.

on deck: No Heart Anthony.

• I mean, did anyone call Kenard, in the bodega, with a 44?

*eyeroll* dude that was obvious.

1973 = Omar's birthyear: 1+9+7+3 = 20 X 2 = 40 + 4 (Kenard's height in feet) = 44 = murder weapon calibar / 2 = 22 = 1+9+5+7: 1957 = the year Newport cigarrettes were introduced to the American market.

if you didn't see this coming you have dick on the brain.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

I mean, did anyone call Kenard, in the bodega, with a 44?

*eyeroll* dude that was obvious.

1973 = Omar's birthyear: 1+9+7+3 = 20 X 2 = 40 + 4 (Kenard's height in feet) = 44 = murder weapon calibar / 2 = 22 = 1+9+5+7: 1957 = the year Newport cigarrettes were introduced to the American market.

if you didn't see this coming you have dick on the brain.

Wow, Kenard da God gunning down Omar... Didn't see that one coming. But I guess there was somewhat of a build-up to this. In the last episode when Omar put his gun to "cupcake" Mike's head, Kenard expressed his disbelief and talked some shit like "That's Omar? Some crippled dude?" And cut to the next episode, right before the deed was done, we see Kenard, the only kid who doesnt run away when Omar walks by (and what was Kenard doing? Putting lighter fluid on a cat?), with that pissed-off look on his face like "Oh, not that lame n****a Omar again." It was like Kenard just got sick of Omar's bravado and decided to take matter in his own hands.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Kenard da God
    Kenard da God
    Kenard da God
    Kenard da God
    Kenard da God
    Kenard da God
    Kenard da God
    Kenard da God
    Kenard da God
    Kenard da God
    Kenard da God
    Kenard da God
    Kenard da God
    Kenard da God

• my fav highlights:

- Clay Davis talmbout the rep making a play for governor: "Playing the race card: SHAMEFUL!" lol...

- Freamon talking schitt to Clay Davis in the bar was dope.

- Gus SONNED the managing editor; so dope.

- The whole Carcetti disappointed wife scene was lame.

I liked the profile of the serial killer.

yeah forgot that. funny. gimmicky but totally worth it for the look on Jimmy's face.

• 3. Any other possible "triggers" that would have Mikey gunning for Snoop or Chris? I don't see his general discontent with the Stansfield operation leading to some "I'm gonna kill you guys" especially since Omar is now out of the picture and that potential "wedge" has been removed. There's gonna have to be a triggering event if, indeed, Mikey offs Snoop or Chris as it appears he might.

It would have to be one hell of a trigger. How about Chris and Snoop take out Michael's mom because they're worried about him/her snitching? We haven't seen much of her this season, I just remember once at the beginning of the season. But I bet Michael would go postal if she got offed.

Then Marlo gets busted through Lester, and Chris busted through DNA evidence, leaving Michael to take out his frustrations on Snoop.

What do you think? I like this theory, it sounds nice and tidy...

• I don't really see Mikey going to bat for his moms like that. But it's possible. It would be easy enough to determine that she snitched and have her offed; I'm just not sure Mikey would kill them over that.

My new theory is simpler: Marlo (and possibly Chris or Snoop) gets arrested. They fear Mikey will present a liability in an upcoming investigation/trial (either because Snoop and Chris point out his insubordination, or they actually suspect that he talked to police, but in any case Mikey knows too much re: his dad's murder). So they try to kill him. But he kills (one of) them.

• I don't really see Mikey going to bat for his moms like that. But it's possible. It would be easy enough to determine that she snitched and have her offed; I'm just not sure Mikey would kill them over that.

My new theory is simpler: Marlo (and possibly Chris or Snoop) gets arrested. They fear Mikey will present a liability in an upcoming investigation/trial (either because Snoop and Chris point out his insubordination, or they actually suspect that he talked to police, but in any case Mikey knows too much re: his dad's murder). So they try to kill him. But he kills (one of) them.

Ah, this is a good idea as well. You're right, it's hard to see him flipping on chris & snoop in the span of, what, less than 2 episodes? Not much time to elaborate on the existing relationships.

I still think Snoop goes out. Cops have Chris' DNA so it seems more likely that he will get pinched.

In which case.... how about a Bunk vs. Chris showdown in the interrogation room?

• fuck
    not feeling this shit. not the way for omar to go out.
    but i had a bad feeling in my stomach with him limping around and talking up the corners.

does kenard get 250 gs?

wheres the bubbles thing going?

is kima about to knock over the house of cards? shit is getting flimmmmmmmmmmmsy

dookie works the scrapyards...leads to what in the plot?

when are they gonna figure out that meth is randy's pop??

i am tired of every scene with carcetti.

this season < 1,2,3,4

• i am tired of every scene with carcetti.

really? I still find his character/plot to be among the more interesting. I'll take him and Norm talking poltics and horse trading BS in his office over the newsroom any day.

• Mikey knows too much re: his dad's murder).

This HAS to come into play. Chris' DNA from the dad's murder is Bunk's ticket!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

i am tired of every scene with carcetti.

really? I still find his character/plot to be among the more interesting. I'll take him and Norm talking poltics and horse trading BS in his office over the newsroom any day.
    i'm okay with his scenes with norm but all of his meetings with the police force and others seems to just go through some talking about the problems shit and then carcetti going "OK LETS JUST GET IT DONE"

I'm saying. Chris get's hauled in along with Marlo. The cops start showing them how much evidence they have. Marlo gets nervous and orders Snoop to eliminate the possibly-unreliable Mikey. Mikey shoots Snoop instead.

I'd put that on my A-1s.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Omar getting taken out the way he did is classic. He saw the kid coming, he gave him a full look when he entered, he just underestimated the kid. Also notice the way he's just been plain sloppy this season. He could have been taken out tons of times, he just relied on his rep way too much.

Lester's obviously using the false threat of a federal jury to frighten some info out of Clay to go after marlo, although in typical wire fashion, something fucked up will happen to spoil the case.

Bunk is gonna wait so Lester can finish up his investigation on Chris and Michael's probably gonna take him out before either has their chance, detectives rarely get the closed case on this show.

Cheese is now in Lester's sights

Doesn't really seem like there's gonna be any time to go after the greeks, considering Lester still doesn't even know about them, seems like they are gonna get off scott free.

Too many people know about McNulty's shit, the bribe coming from the old white golf detective, and Kima's response forshadows disaster for Jimmy

Snoop is maaaaaad.
    Beatrice is maaaaaaaad.
    Carcettii's wife is maaaaaaaad.

Things that were awesome:
    -Bunk finally brings one home!!!
    -The reporter finally gets caught!!!
    -McNulty's serial killer profile (anyone notice the look the FBI guy was eyeing jimmy with)

• what look was he giving him?

• -McNulty's serial killer profile (anyone notice the look the FBI guy was eyeing jimmy with)

Yes.

Omar getting taken out the way he did is classic. He saw the kid coming, he gave him a full look when he entered, he just underestimated the kid. Also notice the way he's just been plain sloppy this season. He could have been taken out tons of times, he just relied on his rep way too much.

Lester's obviously using the false threat of a federal jury to frighten some info out of Clay to go after marlo, although in typical wire fashion, something fucked up will happen to spoil the case.

Bunk is gonna wait so Lester can finish up his investigation on Chris and Michael's probably gonna take him out before either has their chance, detectives rarely get the closed case on this show.

Cheese is now in Lester's sights

Doesn't really seem like there's gonna be any time to go after the greeks, considering Lester still doesn't even know about them, seems like they are gonna get off scott free.

Too many people know about McNulty's shit, the bribe coming from the old white golf detective, and Kima's response forshadows disaster for Jimmy

Snoop is maaaaaad.
    Beatrice is maaaaaaaad.
    Carcettii's wife is maaaaaaaad.

Things that were awesome:
    -Bunk finally brings one home!!!
    -The reporter finally gets caught!!!

I cosign the rest of this poast too

I'm saying. Chris get's hauled in along with Marlo. The cops start showing them how much evidence they have. Marlo gets nervous and orders Snoop to eliminate the possibly-unreliable Mikey. Mikey shoots Snoop instead.

I'd put that on my A-1s.

yup.good read. also, they cant be 100% sure he didnt say something when he got brought in by the cops for questioning

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    MIKEY AND SNOOP KILL EACH OTHER IN A BLAZE OF GLORY
    CHRIS GETS LOCKED UP ALONG WITH MARLO
    DOOKIE MUST TAKE OVER TO PROVIDE FOR BUG

• DOOKIE MUST TAKE OVER TO PROVIDE FOR BUG BECOMES BUBBLES HAULING SCRAP, NOT STRINGER BELL AS PREVIOUSLY ANTICIPATED

• yo...can we immortalize my main man omar with a gremlin
    we do have two rubix cubes...innit time for a new "hard as fuck"?

• yo...can we immortalize my main man omar with a gremlin
    we do have two rubix cubes...innit time for a new "hard as fuck"?

maybe a "pasue" b/w "hardasfuck" collabo?

• LOL i was just thinking that omar as "hard as fuck" would definitely double as pasue as well. or youd have to always drop pasue right after. or omar would have to raise a gun up that shot off a flag with "pasue" written on it (ala biz "gotit" briefcase)

paging DOLLARBIN!

• I almost posted an OMAR R.I.P. Myspace bulletin but I remembered that this episode was OnDemand and I don't want to spoil it for anybody. Next week it's on though! And maybe by then Controller 7 or Dollar Bin will bless us with an appropriate tribute graemlin that I can add to it.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    I've had these wire-related gremlins for a minute...

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I've had these wire-related gremlins for a minute...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

2008 urban version of "goodnight moon"?

most ehhh scene of the entire series

i enjoyed clay's day in court too. its good to see that plot finally pick up... i think it may be too late though, i lost most of my interest in clay several eps ago.

as for the negative press/reviews, i feel like there's a reason if they're mostly critical. if you should be disappointed at anything, its not the reviews...

• most ehhh scene of the entire series

Yeah, but they're setting Kima up to go down the upbeat, family path while McNulty sinks and sinks. At points they have been similar in perspectives, covering each others backs while cheating and so on. But what a cheesy way to make a point.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The thing about McNutty's sceme is that now a LOT of people are now invested in it. No one would benefit from the truth being made public, even the news crew. So it could be that if he is exposed, it just gets hushed up.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    finally got to watch 58. damn.

after reading comments in this thread having just watched it, it occurred to me that succumbing to passion seems to be the link that is undoing everyone in this season.

Omar got obsessed with Marlo to the point of being sloppy.

McNulty got obsessed with Marlo to the point of fabricating a steaming pile of shit. This thread is loosely based on the story in life on the street about the cop who got obsessed about the guy who raped and murdered an 11yo girl irl right? It's the murder cases that are McNultys kryptonite. I can't see McNulty living through this series.

Whatshisface got obsessed with making his journalism career so he started making shit up for his stories which is gonna fuck him up no doubt.

Bunk and Kima have exercised self control and have mostly stayed out of the limelight.

Marlo himself got obsessed with power which has ultimately led to him being exposed for the first time ever. He was always a ghost until he went Borg on Prop Joe and his contact with Levy started things rolling.

Lester obviously has the same furnace inside him that McNutty has but he seems to be able to control his demons and stay focused.

And, ironically, everyone keeps coming back to the point that Ed Simon's apparent obsession with his personal grievances is what undid 4 glorious years of consummate television with this kinda tepid series.. ehh, I've still eagerly watched every episode regardless. I've still got faith that this shit will end nicely (badly)

RIP Omar.

• And, ironically, everyone keeps coming back to the point that Ed Simon's apparent obsession with his personal grievances is what undid 4 glorious years of consummate television with this kinda tepid series..

This is a great point. I hope that the season careening dangerously out of control will be its saving grace.

I'm sort of glad that we're getting more "television" and less "docudrama" about the failed American city. The press I've read that speak of "riveting characters that force you to care" e.g. poor children with lost opportunities or (shock) drug dealers that aren't uniformly evil... kind of grosses me out. Where else can it go? Really. I end up in conversations at parties or dinner or whatever where inevitably someone will be all, "... and I've started watching The Wire, and oh. my. god, it's just so AWFUL!" As if this schitt wasn't there before Simon turned his lens to it. I can understand why some look at it as a post-millennial "CNN for the streets" but I'm not sure that's what it set out to be, or what it should be. I don't think Simon's ignorant of that dynamic.

I always thought with The Newsroom that Simon was wrapping the series, the viewers, the cast, the plots, the critics, and the writers all into itself. Not so much *just* exorcising his demons about The Sun but blurring the lines so much to where you're not sure exactly where it stops being his critique of his old employer, starts being his critique of the city, works into the plot, is some meta-critique of the show itself, etc. Throughout there has been, IMO, a feeling that we're all losing control - even the viewer, who (as we've seen in this thread) often feels like they've lost what could otherwise be a great season. I like that, because I think it's intentional.