THE OFFICIAL WIRE SEASON 5 THREAD

Comments

• I *thought* there was a no-spoilers thread.

Ep. 3:

Ep. 3 was pretty great. The season is in full-swing. I laughed out loud at several parts. The meeting towards the end w/ McNutty and Freamon was a hoot. Two brilliant yet twisted minds. The skeevy reporter dude and his made-up quotes. WOW. Prop Joe and his efforts to "civilize" Marlo. I love how the Daniels/Burrell stuff that was hinted at in the very beginning episodes is about to come to light in a big way. All hail "The Wire."

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Yeah, I'd like to keep this thread going, the other thread is treading a little out beyond what I've watched so far. One thing I liked about episode 53 was how the newsroom story-line is starting to integrate with other elements of the show--the made up quote in the article has real consequences for Daniels, if Burrell thinks Daniels is gunning for his job then he would almost be obligated to release the file he's been sitting on. I am a noted newsroom apologist here but I will freely admit that much of my support is based upon my faith in the show rather than the tidbits in eps 51 and 52.

cross posted from the spoiler thread:

clark johnson was on Fresh Air this weekend.

I can't find it online.

someone post that schitt.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18285529

I can post the mp3 podcast version if you're having trouble with npr's streaming. Also, Michael K Williams is up today: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18299087 the audio is usually up by about 1PM (Pacific)

• my suspension of disbelief is being sorely tested by his actions

My girl and I have watched through episode three and the only thing we are having a problem with is the whole McNulty inventing false murders plot. It does seem inconsistent with his personality in the previous seasons. Although he has always been obsessive and narcissistic, this has always been evidenced in the way he deals with the police and law beaurocracy. There has never been even a hint that he would be interested in falsifying actual cases, and now he is going at it full tilt. The actor is doing a good job selling this change, but it is still unbelievable for me. That said, this twist is a great plot device in that it gives us a chance to see how the generally affable Bunk reacts to his friend going the over edge of his (Bunk's) moral boundaries.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I didn't quit buy McNulty's change at first either. I thought the last season went out of its way to show that he had changed with the girlfriend and her kids, and then right out the bat he's back to whoring and drinking in the new season. That being said, I don't mind anymore. He's obviously feeling betrayed, especially because he gave up his patrol job which he was perfectly happy at to return to the desk job and then get undercut by the budget cuts and powers that be, plus the shit they're doing with the teeth is pretty funny.

Also here's two Fresh Air - NPR interviews about the Wire.

Here's MIchael Williams that plays Omar

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18299087

Clark Johnson who plays the news editor Gus Haynes and who also has produced a couple episodes of the show plus the Shield that I didn't know about at all.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    the story-fabricating journalist and mcnulty are both reacting to a bureaucracy that has driven them to the brink.
    this season has been a whole lot less subtle that seasons past.

• Clark Johnson who plays the news editor Gus Haynes and who also has produced a couple episodes of the show plus the Shield that I didn't know about at all.

plus he directed the finale this season.

he's from W. philly apparently, so the question is, "when did the divide begin?" or whatever....

• I was just at a local record store when the owner started talking to a homicide detective (who was looking for some latin jazz).

we were all talking about records for awhile and eventually I had to ask him if he was a fan of the wire. anyway just as all the articles on the show have pointed out, he was, and said it was very popular in his department. he was saying how his wife was very talkative and the only time he had to lay down the law and enforce a no-talking policy was sundays from 10pm-11pm

he also confirmed a story I had heard about a triple homicide a few years back that included dismemberment and pelvis to neck gutting. some serious shit, beyond chris, snoop or omar. a gruesome reminder that shit is very real. and to tie it in to the media aspect of this season he was saying how the news only covers about half of the homicides. and that "minor shootings", ie. nobody dies, rarely get coverage. a la reporter girl's story getting bumped from the front page.

I'm wondering how much shit will pop off in ep4, it's bound to get real crazy in the next couple of weeks.

must. resist. downloading to ep7.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    the story-fabricating journalist and mcnulty are both reacting to a bureaucracy that has driven them to the brink.
    this season has been a whole lot less subtle that seasons past.

i don't agree with this completely. mcnulty is clearly at wit's end, but the reporter just seems to be lazy, and wants to jump to the top for his career's sake. i think their actions are coming from totally different places.

but the not-as-subtle as previous seasons i agree with. there have been several times that characters in parallel situations say the exact same line, which is a bit much sometimes.

• Episode 4.

Damn.

Episode 4.

Damn.

For real. I didn't see Prop Joe going out like that, at least not this early in the season.

Episode 4.

Damn.

For real. I didn't see Prop Joe going out like that, at least not this early in the season.

"My nephew? Boy was always a disappointment"

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Episode 4.

Damn.

that was nuts!

I love this season. I am depressed by how much longer the spoiler thread is though.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I was just at a local record store when the owner started talking to a homicide detective (who was looking for some latin jazz).

we were all talking about records for awhile and eventually I had to ask him if he was a fan of the wire. anyway just as all the articles on the show have pointed out, he was, and said it was very popular in his department. he was saying how his wife was very talkative and the only time he had to lay down the law and enforce a no-talking policy was sundays from 10pm-11pm

he also confirmed a story I had heard about a triple homicide a few years back that included dismemberment and pelvis to neck gutting. some serious shit, beyond chris, snoop or omar. a gruesome reminder that shit is very real. and to tie it in to the media aspect of this season he was saying how the news only covers about half of the homicides. and that "minor shootings", ie. nobody dies, rarely get coverage. a la reporter girl's story getting bumped from the front page.

I'm wondering how much shit will pop off in ep4, it's bound to get real crazy in the next couple of weeks.

must. resist. downloading to ep7.

^^^^^^^ Most crime reporters find out about homicides through the medical examiner's office, which reports ALL deaths and the cause. So a lot of times if someone gets shot and does not die, there is only a police report -- and that report may be "left out" of the usually small stack of reports that many districts or princincts keep aside for reporters to thumb through. So, unless someone calls the media, a shooting may not be covered at all. This is usually the case in rougher neighborhoods, as we all know if someone gets shot in a nice area, the reporters and news vans swarm.

The medical examiner or coroner is actually a beautiful system of checks and balances. I can't imagine we'd hear about a lot of stuff that goes on if it was left only up to the police to inform us.

• Episode 4.

Damn.

Prop Joe knew it too. The scene outside the flower shop..."Marlo gonna be Marlo"....who's gettin' close to Marlo. So yeah, Prop Joe basically teaches Marlo all this shit about the game and then thank you very much. The viciousness and cold ambition of Marlo is off the chain. One of the greatest villains of TV/film history at this point. He continually ups the ante. Co-op gotta be done, huh? All them cats can work for Marlo if they want.

"Transitions".....Burrell and Prop Joe out. Interesting they even went to HS together. That was a cool scene. Hey Herc, you fuckin' *work* w/ dudes like Marlo now.

The Herc/Carver scene outside the station was great. It showed how deep their friendship truly was. I figured Herc would storm off or something after Carver basically agreed he needed to get "done" from the dept. That scene is a good example of how deftly the Wire handles dialogue and situations. Herc never even knew how bad he truly fucked up Randy's shit. Here you think maybe CArver is gonna break it down but nope. "It went real bad" or something to that effect. No recounting of the horrors.

The Nareece/Burrell scene was the shit too.

• Ep. 4 has been my favorite so far, and for some reason the funniest. In particular, I laughed when Levy explains to Herc how he expects Marlo to be a lucrative client. Prop Joe was one of my favorite characters and I am really sorry to see him go. He was one of several characters that sounded to me like he had a real Baltimore accent, whereas many of the characters basically sound like displaced New Yorkers. I'm pretty sure that some of the people on this board are from the Baltimore area and I would be curious to know who they think sounds like the real deal. Overall this seems like the worst season so far but, as others have said, the worst of the Wire is better than anything else on TV.

• courtesy of Noz

• Did y'all catch ol' boy from Season 2 livin' at the homeless camp? The dude that used to pull jobs with Ziggy and Nick?

On a conspiracy theory tip....any chance that phone call that Daniels received that was for Rawls might point him to the info that was revealed about Rawls' proclivities? Just wondering what that look was about after he hung up. It could just have been a "wow, look where I'm at deal".

On a conspiracy theory tip....any chance that phone call that Daniels received that was for Rawls might point him to the info that was revealed about Rawls' proclivities? Just wondering what that look was about after he hung up. It could just have been a "wow, look where I'm at deal".

Ha ha, that's a great theory. I think it's really the "look where I'm at", but I love the thought. Personally, I just thought it was great to see Daniels smile--I think we've only seen that about 3 times in the show so far, so you know if he's grinning he's really, really pleased. Enjoy your moment, Cedric.

Say what you will about the pace of this season but there are so many small moments that are pregnant with unspoken significance and humor. When Burrell walks behind Daniels with the putter in his hand I was rolling. When Levy calls Prop Joe "Joseph", followed by Marlow asking Herc if he ever found that camera.

"woe to them that call evil good, and good evil. Sign it, your true and loyal friend, Proposition Joe."

• yo, joe went out with so many quotes.
    one of my faves, right after that quote for butchie, was something about having to dissapear due to omar's "skillset"

what yall think slim charles is going to end up doing now?

• "You'd take the crab outta crab soup."

The dude Oscar catchin' shit on the radio was funny too. "They said D.O.A., not doughnuts."

• what yall think slim charles is going to end up doing now?

Good question. Seems like he should get the fuck outta Dodge. Do you think Marlo is the type of cat that would have him as an employee?

Slim Charles is one of my favorite characters.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Better question is if slim is the type of guy who would work for marlo?

• Better question is if slim is the type of guy who would work for marlo?

It would seem possibly. "Mercenary" would not be an unappropriate descriptor for SC.

I say he bounces.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Did y'all catch ol' boy from Season 2 livin' at the homeless camp? The dude that used to pull jobs with Ziggy and Nick?

Yeah, I caught that too. I guess they really are trying to tie up all the seasons with the finale year.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Did y'all catch ol' boy from Season 2 livin' at the homeless camp? The dude that used to pull jobs with Ziggy and Nick?

Yeah, I caught that too. I guess they really are trying to tie up all the seasons with the finale year.

right before he spotted this dude -

http://keithhuang.wordpress.com/2007/05/01/ptolemy-slocum-on-the-sopranos/

- who i guess has been typecast as a looney by hbo

• They had yr boy John Doman on "Law & Order" last night playing a Senator Craig-esque state congressman. It was pretty funny. Dude's working on a typecast.

• Episode #55: Omar Can Fly

• Questions:

What do you think it was that Vondas showed Marlo on the I-phone lookin' deal? (was that an I-phone?)

When Chris Partlow referred to "making his move" and "going away" was he just referring to living at Monk's crib to facilitate the Omar set-up?

Do you think Levy was underestimating Marlo when he chuckled at the fact that Marlo is using a cell phone and predicted upcoming wire tap cases? The reason I say this is because Marlo would not do anything that is not in his best interest, he's smarter than everyone and always has an answer for everything.

Where'd Omar go? They got him man. I thought for sure he'd be ahead of them but nope, they got him.

What was up with the last scene w/ Freamon and the weird noise on the Wire?

McNutty and Templeton meeting at the paper was a gut buster. Fuckin douchebags.

Questions:

When Chris Partlow referred to "making his move" and "going away" was he just referring to living at Monk's crib to facilitate the Omar set-up?

I was wondering that too, but I guess that's what he meant since that was the next place we saw him.

Do you think Levy was underestimating Marlo when he chuckled at the fact that Marlo is using a cell phone and predicted upcoming wire tap cases? The reason I say this is because Marlo would not do anything that is not in his best interest, he's smarter than everyone and always has an answer for everything.

Yeah, actually that was really funny to see Levy wanting his clients to fuck up so he can make bank. But I think Marlo has realized that he still has a lot to learn, since he picked up so much from Prop Joe. So maybe he's second guessing his street knowledge and opening up his mind to other possibilities.

Where'd Omar go? They got him man. I thought for sure he'd be ahead of them but nope, they got him.

Didn't they show him on the side of the building all Spiderman like after he jumped? I don't think he got shot, so hopefully he'll come back smarter and more prepared. They definitely got his friend though. I really hope Omar survives the whole series.