THE OFFICIAL WIRE SEASON 5 THREAD

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
shits going down tonight with on demand, right? can't wait.

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Most definitely. I'll be checking in at the on demand at 12:00:01.

OK, I have a season 4 question for those with Wire and/or legal knowledge. After Marimow guts the Major crimes unit, he's putting paperwork related to the subpoenas into a box labeled "Barksdale Subpoena Returns" that Freamon discovers when he comes back to reconstitute the unit near the end of episode 11. can anyone explain what subpoena returns are? I'm assuming it's the records requested by the subpoenas which could then be used by a subsequent indictment if major crimes was still pursuing the case but I'm not sure exactly how a subpoena works.

• Most definitely. I'll be checking in at the on demand at 12:00:01.

Are you guys sure about this? 'Cause this is what I'm seeing:

Date/Time Channel Title Rated Min Genre
    12/30 11:00 PM HBO2 - EAST THE WIRE 50: FINAL GRADES

TVMA 78 Drama
    12/31 2:00 AM HBO2 - WEST THE WIRE 50: FINAL GRADES

TVMA 78 Drama
    1/3 12:00 AM HBO - EAST THE WIRE: THE LAST WORD

TV14 26
    1/3 12:00 AM HBO LATINO - EAST THE WIRE: THE LAST WORD

TV14 26
    1/3 12:00 AM HBO High Definition - EAST THE WIRE: THE LAST WORD

TV14 26
    1/3 3:00 AM HBO - WEST THE WIRE: THE LAST WORD

TV14 26
    1/3 3:00 AM HBO High Definition - WEST THE WIRE: THE LAST WORD

TV14 26
    1/3 3:00 AM HBO LATINO - WEST THE WIRE: THE LAST WORD

TV14 26
    1/5 12:00 PM HBO - EAST THE WIRE: THE LAST WORD

TV14 26
    1/5 12:00 PM HBO High Definition - EAST THE WIRE: THE LAST WORD

TV14 26
    1/5 12:00 PM HBO LATINO - EAST THE WIRE: THE LAST WORD

TV14 26
    1/5 3:00 PM HBO - WEST THE WIRE: THE LAST WORD

TV14 26
    1/5 3:00 PM HBO High Definition - WEST THE WIRE: THE LAST WORD

TV14 26
    1/5 3:00 PM HBO LATINO - WEST THE WIRE: THE LAST WORD

TV14 26
    1/6 8:15 PM HBO - EAST THE WIRE ODYSSEY

TVMA 28
    1/6 8:15 PM HBO High Definition - EAST THE WIRE ODYSSEY

TVMA 28
    1/6 8:15 PM HBO LATINO - EAST THE WIRE ODYSSEY

TVMA 28
    1/6 9:00 PM HBO - EAST THE WIRE 51: MORE WITH LESS[/b]

TVMA 58 Drama

• I just read that this season is only 10 episodes long. That seems short considering the others were 12 and 13. These must be some action-packed eps, no time to spare!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    check this link: http://www.hbo.com/apps/schedule/ScheduleServlet?ACTION_DETAIL=DETAIL&FOCUS_ID=650525

on the right it says "HBO ONDEMAND PLAYS" and it says december 31st. i don't know shits too confusing.

• Most definitely. I'll be checking in at the on demand at 12:00:01.

OK, I have a season 4 question for those with Wire and/or legal knowledge. After Marimow guts the Major crimes unit, he's putting paperwork related to the subpoenas into a box labeled "Barksdale Subpoena Returns" that Freamon discovers when he comes back to reconstitute the unit near the end of episode 11. can anyone explain what subpoena returns are? I'm assuming it's the records requested by the subpoenas which could then be used by a subsequent indictment if major crimes was still pursuing the case but I'm not sure exactly how a subpoena works.

I do believe it's just the subpoenas that were returned. REmember they wanted to subpoena the financial records from the mayors and stuff and they were taken back and couldn't do it. I think it just hinted at they'd be going after the mayor and senator this season.

and yes.. the first wire should be on demand at midnight.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    the first wire should be on thepiratebay.org at 2 a.m.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    cool episode. nothing big popping but some good catch up. councilwoman getting nailed by the paper was hilarious.

• that xerox machine as a polygraph had me rollin'...

that xerox machine as a polygraph had me rollin'...

No doubt! I'm pretty sure David Simon mentioned that scheme in the book Homicide, great way to start the season. I'm going to wait until after Sunday to post specific comments to keep things less spoilery for those who are waiting for broadcast, but I have a sense that there's a lot going on that we don't know yet. It will be a while before I'm used to the newsroom lingo as well, I'd probably be hopelessly lost if I hadn't watched, read, or listened to every Wire related interview and documentary I could put my hands on. Plus I went through the same thing with the Police, Street, Dock, Political, and School jargon in previous seasons. The Baltimore Sun critic is pretty asshurt* (*mild spoilers) about the newspaper storyline, if you read his review keep in mind Simon's mantra:

Fuck the average reader.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I thought the acting on the part of a few of the newspaper people was pretty bad and I just read in that link that a few of them are actual writers- not actors- it shows. But the main dude seems proper.

Otherwise the show was GREAT!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    the first wire should be on thepiratebay.org at 2 a.m.

It's up now.

So's Episode 2.

• Watching the season premiere was pretty much the first thing I did when I woke up this morning. Such a good start for the new season/new year. I was just listening to a couple of Fresh Air shows from last week about the best shows of 2007 and both critics, along with Terry Gross were hypin' it, too. Greatest show of all-time, baby.

And what's this about episode 2 already out on torrent?!

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    ok...so I have Episode 1, 2, 3 and 5. Where the fuck is 4? Anyone have 4? Anyone have 6-10? They're showing up all over this morning. Someone help me out!

I see one claim that the entire season has been put on 1 4gig DVD. Anyone have access to that one?

• yall are crackheads

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    yall are crackheads

Ha ha! Yup!!!

Moss:

Where did you find episode 3? All I have is 1, 2 & 5.

To all the haters:

I just realized that I will be paying $50+ a month for cable and The Wire IS THE ONLY TV I WATCH. Fuuuuuuuuuuck that. The show is fantastic and all but there's no way I'm paying $150 to watch all 10 eps over the course of 3 months!

I'm canceling my cable today, DL'ing all episodes as they become available, hooking my laptop up to my projector and watching this shit properlike on my 100" screen.

Fool?

• apparently episodes 1-7 are out now. I can't find any but one, but from people that know more than me, those are out as of today.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    1 and 2 are on pbay now

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    1 and 2 are on pbay now

5, too.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Here' a late Christmas gift for all my Wirestrut fans...Just right-click and choose "save target as..."

http://www.strictlybreaks.com/upload/izm/the.wire.s05.stlw.xvid.avi

Rated TV14: ADULT CONTENT, ADULT LANGUAGE, MILD VIOLENCE
    Running Time: 26 minutes
    Genre:
    The role of the media is explored in this special that focuses on the upcoming fifth season of HBO's acclaimed drama series The Wire

• thanks for the hook up, but that ain't episode 5 -- it's that "last word" teaser

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    ahem...i knew that...i jut figured out some people would be happy to get that in case anyone missed it. I think i'm gonna wait til the end of season 5 to watch it. I even avoid to click on any Wire related thread at the moment...Im out...lol.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    bump. episode 2 (52) is airing tonight with on demand. i know a bunch of fiends including myself already watched it but maybe wait a few hours for discussion?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    From an article in the San Francisco Chronicle episodes 1-7 were given to TV reviewers, which is probably why they've leaked out.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    word season 5 is up...yeah. just finished watching season 4 back to back all episodes....

so wheres the best spot to cop the most episodes?

also anyone know much about the series "The Corner" and if they did a second season?

PS keep in mind im down in 0z land.... we get fuck all on our tvs, even cable. Shit they showed half the first season of the first wire then canned it all......

thank god for bootleggers....

• I suggest we dead the two Season 5 Wire threads and the one Episode 51 thread consolidate the threads into 2 threads: one season-long thread for those watching Season 5 a week early (i.e. those with On Demand) and one season-long thread for those watching Season 5 on time (i.e. everyone else). This will never happen, but I think it's the most logical way to go.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Good idea. I renamed this thread to be the OFFICIAL Wire thread and the other as SPOILER/speculation.

• OK, so this is the NON-SPOILER thread then, yes? Post here about anything Wire-related pertaining to any episode that has NOT aired on HBO. NO ON DEMAND SPOILERS please.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i think you mean...

DON'T[/b] Post here about anything Wire-related pertaining to any episode that has NOT aired on HBO. NO ON DEMAND SPOILERS please.

• Haha, yeah thanks. It's those little important words that get me.

DON'T POST about anything that HAS NOT AIRED is deinfitely what I meant. Thanks!

Gonna keep it spoiler free for now, I'm happy waiting until after air to comment. Anyway, in episode 51:

So, when McNutty comes back to homicide near the end of the episode and he's pissed because there's someone sitting at his desk, was that officer Walker? It would certainly explain why he was so ticked off.

I'm pretty sure I was right that it is Walker, here's my screen cap:

and here's McNutty's

For reference here's a shot of Walker from season 4:

Anyway, what's up with the abbreviated show summaries on the hbo site? One of my rituals from the last few seasons is to spend a Monday morning reading the previous night's summary which really helped me with all the little details that I miss in early viewings (look at the season 4 summaries to see what I mean). I guess it's fallout from the Writer's Strike. I think that David Simon isn't doing publicity interviews for the season as part of the strike as well, which is a shame.