?uestlove confronts Biz Markie on the Mardi Gras

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Or at least made an attempt to. He just posted this at OKP:

But as you will see, it's not exactly "proof". I know these guys can secure masters or DVD-R's of the multi-tracks for remix projects, but I'm sorry, I do not see or hear a thing. As I said to ?uest in the OKP thread, we need to see THE BRIEFCASE. Not a Silver Burdett briefcase, but the real deal. At this point, I don't even care if it's T-Pain holding it.

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Tell biz post some audio or it didnt happen.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Tell biz post some audio or it didnt happen.

• yo Kicks - you know I rocked that avatar for like 4 months already?

• pknypkny 549 Posts

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Sorry dude didn't know that you had a patent on it...
    Does Jay know your using his face??

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    But as you will see, it's not exactly "proof". I know these guys can secure masters or DVD-R's of the multi-tracks for remix projects, but I'm sorry, I do not see or hear a thing. As I said to ?uest in the OKP thread, we need to see THE BRIEFCASE. Not a Silver Burdett briefcase, but the real deal.

It sounds like the version on the 7" EP from what little I can hear...

And the briefcase ain't hard to find

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I love when they enter the room:
    "two Blowfly's and an Manzel ni**a. That's all you gettin!"

• It sounds like the version on the 7" EP from what little I can hear...

With the record or w/o? Are there photos?
    Has anyone ever done a label scan?

Inform.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    i wont belive it till i see it .......
    cat number and all

• i wont belive it till i see it .......
    cat number and all

There we go. This is right up there with "what's the sample to Nas is Like?"

I haven't kept up with Wax Poetics, but has anyone ever confronted Bob James about it?

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Or at least made an attempt to. He just posted this at OKP:

Do you have the link to the OKP post? I just tried a search and couldn't find it.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    i wont belive it till i see it .......
    cat number and all

There we go. This is right up there with "what's the sample to Nas is Like?"

I haven't kept up with Wax Poetics, but has anyone ever confronted Bob James about it?

what do mean dude it could just be a cover version... check your self

• Biz must do alot of fly catching with his mouth always open like that.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I don't think this legend needs to be cleared up...We didn't find the Grail yet, that's what keeps the Grail so holy. If Biz really bring the proofs, there will be no more funny Biz threads.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• Tell biz post some audio or it didnt happen.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I can't believe Quest, as a fellow record collector, is going out like that. Leaning over to listen to a clip of the grail on Biz's frickin' MacBook? That's the definitive proof?

That's like me going "Yo son, I can PROVE I found another one of the Dead Sea Scrolls! Look at this excerpt I typed into my laptop, son. Read it!"

on an unrelated note:

Raj, are you making these yourself? Where are they all coming from??

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    No photo?

• I mentioned it to Bob the other day when he was in buying a new computer, and he had no idea that this controversy even existed!

• It sounds like the version on the 7" EP from what little I can hear...

With the record or w/o? Are there photos?
    Has anyone ever done a label scan?

Inform.

It has been said here that the briefcase alone was easily obtainable by sending in an order form from the insert of certain cti records. the briefcase is not exclusive to the grail mardi gras record. There are photos of the briefcase, somebody here even has it as their avatar.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

on an unrelated note:

I'm absolutely obsessed with graemlins right now. I sat down and made five this morning.

• I mentioned it to Bob the other day when he was in buying a new computer, and he had no idea that this controversy even existed!

More on this, please.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

on an unrelated note:

I'm absolutely obsessed with graemlins right now. I sat down and made five this morning.

Awesome! Plaese don't stop!

• We were just chatting about all the people who have sampled his songs, the new Wu joint etc, and I mentioned that there was heated debate on Mardi Gras minus bells, and he did not know about it all.
    He hooked me up with a copy of a limited run of discs of Bob James, Dave McMurray (on sax), and Rob Swift on the tables called "BJ McSwift" , some of which is pretty dope, I can post samples if any one is interested... Holluer...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    We were just chatting about all the people who have sampled his songs, the new Wu joint etc

For real tho, I assume you didnt ask him about demanding 10 g's for flash cutting in the kitchen? made them butcher a classic over the clearance.

Am I wrong or does it sound like he's not as hostile towards sampling as rumored...

• We were just chatting about all the people who have sampled his songs, the new Wu joint etc, and I mentioned that there was heated debate on Mardi Gras minus bells, and he did not know about it all.
    He hooked me up with a copy of a limited run of discs of Bob James, Dave McMurray (on sax), and Rob Swift on the tables called "BJ McSwift" , some of which is pretty dope, I can post samples if any one is interested... Holluer...

On Bob ,not "BJ MCSWIFT"

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

For real tho, I assume you didnt ask him about demanding 10 g's for flash cutting in the kitchen? made them butcher a classic over the clearance.

I think that problem had more to do with the composer of "Take me to the mardi gras", Paul Simon.

Anyway, people seem to be missing the point - BIZ HAS A MACBOOK. Weren't people saying before he'd never been online? Now we need someone in the know to work their magic and make a strutter out of him. I'd recommend bestowing him instant moderator status.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    It would have been nice to actually hear it.

• No, but we have chatted about the Rakim law suit over "Guess Who's Back - Shamboozie sample"... Bob is not hostile at all over sampling, it is a "cottage industry" for him. He told me to go nuts sampling any thing he owns the publishing for (Tappan Zee label mainly), and hooked me up with some original pressings right from his own collection

• the longer the debate goes on over the bell-less break, the less i believe it exists. i think the biz has a lot of stories and some aren't as true as the others. by now, shouldn't he have played it for someone? can cash money confirm this record exists?