?uestlove confronts Biz Markie on the Mardi Gras

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    It would have been nice to actually hear it.

yeah but still... GREAT stuff

post of the day no doubt!!!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

the longer the debate goes on over the bell-less break, the less i believe it exists.

??? ?uest : "He has MARDI GRAS without the bells in it"

??? Biz : "......................................................"

No, Biz, you don't have it. This silence speaks for itself.
    Why don't you SAY [/b] that you own this 12"??
    This is

• kinda looks like biz thinks quest is a nerd and/or annoying him in this video.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I don't believe it really exists. I also don't think any proof can be gained from a recording off a laptop.

• I don't believe it really exists. I also don't think any proof can be gained from a recording off a laptop.

I think I'ma get in this boat too. Aren't the bells panned to one side pretty hard on at least one of the pressings? I'm 99.999% sure I remember hearing a copy in the store once in the headphones that was panned. Could easily be seperated out with just a bit of the bells playing and not be audible on a laptop speaker. This seems like a big dude tricks lil dude joke that has taken on a life of its own.

• The Bell-less breaks is like Santa Claus.

You believe in it when your a little dude, then you get older and realize its just something made up by old dudes to spread spirit. You may be salty at first, then you laugh at it, then you participate in the myth. But don't question it's power to inspire dreams and in the hearts of little people. The legend is a part of growing up.

Why Questlove would try and disprove Santa Claus is beyond me.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm psyched to see Tumblin' Dice up in there.

• Why Questlove would try and disprove Santa Claus is beyond me.

?uestlove hates the children!

• I'm sayin!

• say it isn't so biz!

• jackaloping for beats.

• I finally listened to this with the sound on. how the hell does this "prove" anything? because there was audience noise in the background?? dude, it's a COMPUTER. it can do all sorts of ill shit....computers do that.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Bell-less breaks is like Santa Claus.

You believe in it when your a little dude, then you get older and realize its just something made up by old dudes to spread spirit. You may be salty at first, then you laugh at it, then you participate in the myth. But don't question it's power to inspire dreams and in the hearts of little people. The legend is a part of growing up.

Jeez, dude - next you're going to tell me that my stash of
    20 sealed copies of Sergio Mendes and the New Brazil '77 won't
    put my kid through college in 2027! Ha! Ha?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

say it isn't so biz!

I had it, back about '92. Didn't mean shit to me. A Japanese dealer came through and I could see he was jonesing for it. It wasn't priced so told him $10 which was twice what I had ever sold a 12" for before. I've never seen the briefcase. I doubt it exsists.

I think Supreme has doubles.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've never seen the briefcase. I doubt it exsists.

• I've never seen the briefcase. I doubt it exsists.

yeah there is no question about the briefcase itself. that's not really the issue here. (but you were joking right?)

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I think Supreme has doubles.

I have the extra-rare promo 12 that has bonus beats (i.e. the entire song, but just the drums and nothing else).

• i have no interest in the bob james without the bells. but i am VERY MUCH interested in a bj mcswift if someone can provide this. does it really exist?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    This is all just nonsense. I myself will settle for a nice mcswift BJ!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    i have no interest in the bob james without the bells. but i am VERY MUCH interested in a bj mcswift if someone can provide this. does it really exist?

What up Phill! You and the famlay good? The Soul Children chillin'?

Just got off the phone with the hommie Rob Swift. This project really exists. Rob said that he did a tour with Bob, Dave McMurray and Bob's band in Japan during September of this year. Rob said they pressed up a very limited run of promo only joints with 7 or 8 tracks of BJ McSwift joints. Rob said they are currently looking for a label to release the tracks from the project. One of the tracks "Jazz Is My Religion" is on Rob's myspace page:

http://myspace.com/djrobswift

Rob, Total Eclipse and DJ Precision have a new group called "Ill Insanity"

http://myspace.com/illinsanitydjs

They are doing a show in Houston tonight at Club Meridian. Houston folls should go check that out.

• i have no interest in the bob james without the bells. but i am VERY MUCH interested in a bj mcswift if someone can provide this. does it really exist?

What up Phill! You and the famlay good? The Soul Children chillin'?

Just got off the phone with the hommie Rob Swift. This project really exists. Rob said that he did a tour with Bob, Dave McMurray and Bob's band in Japan during September of this year. Rob said they pressed up a very limited run of promo only joints with 7 or 8 tracks of BJ McSwift joints. Rob said they are currently looking for a label to release the tracks from the project. One of the tracks "Jazz Is My Religion" is on Rob's myspace page:

http://myspace.com/djrobswift

Rob, Total Eclipse and DJ Precision have a new group called "Ill Insanity"

http://myspace.com/illinsanitydjs

They are doing a show in Houston tonight at Club Meridian. Houston folls should go check that out.

ohhh okay... that's cool. the fam's good, Chan! how you?

btw, i was really talking about something more like what Dee Rock was talking about, but it's all more interesting than bob james w/out the bells

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    call me CHAN!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    dude, it's a COMPUTER. it can do all sorts of ill shit....computers do that.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

it could just be a cover version...

well outa the various mardi gras versions ive heard most are just that paul simon song without any drumbreak intro.. on a related note, swedish inst group the spotnicks did a mid 70 take me to the mardi gras version with a drumbreak intro, dope enough but does not sound like bob james at all... this was btw used for a early big daddy kane track.

anyway im wondering, any other take me to the mardi gras cover versions i should know about (with drums) ???

• anyone notice how ?uest passes DJ Cool V on his way up the stairs? I love that Biz and Cool V are still hanging out, i wonder if they still talk about how that record store wouldn't hire Cool V but then later caught the vapors.

• anyone notice how ?uest passes DJ Cool V on his way up the stairs? I love that Biz and Cool V are still hanging out, i wonder if they still talk about how that record store wouldn't hire Cool V but then later caught the vapors.

• I myself would like to hear a version of "The Cisco Kid" without the harmonica, which was in a big Hefty full of Lee Oskar's spit.

• it could just be a cover version...

well outa the various mardi gras versions ive heard most are just that paul simon song without any drumbreak intro.. on a related note, swedish inst group the spotnicks did a mid 70 take me to the mardi gras version with a drumbreak intro, dope enough but does not sound like bob james at all... this was btw used for a early big daddy kane track.

anyway im wondering, any other take me to the mardi gras cover versions i should know about (with drums) ???

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    love both questloves and biz work...but that was a load of crap as far as proof goes...

you couldnt even hear the shit right...they coulda turned down the other shit playing i the b/g. and there is not photo at least of the 7 inch...what you cant geta good digi shot for us to see?

Its on a laptop so it could be biz chopping up the orginal, taking the bells out or something...

i dont think biz is lying, or quest love talking shit...but they didnt present anything in this....

get me some footage of biz dropping it on the decks....then we are talking...

I agree with the 'talk to BJ'comment.... maybe someone should ask Swift to ask BJ what he knows about it....

but my conspiracy theory (and its just that) is this was probably put out with out BJs consent, someone musta grabbed the masters and done a quick mix to do a bootleg run of 7's (or for promo) and musta forgot to use push up the channel with the bells on it?.....

Loko

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    love both questloves and biz work...but that was a load of crap as far as proof goes...

you couldnt even hear the shit right...they coulda turned down the other shit playing i the b/g. and there is not photo at least of the 7 inch...what you cant geta good digi shot for us to see?

Its on a laptop so it could be biz chopping up the orginal, taking the bells out or something...

i dont think biz is lying, or quest love talking shit...but they didnt present anything in this....

get me some footage of biz dropping it on the decks....then we are talking...

I agree with the 'talk to BJ'comment.... maybe someone should ask Swift to ask BJ what he knows about it....

but my conspiracy theory (and its just that) is this was probably put out with out BJs consent, someone musta grabbed the masters and done a quick mix to do a bootleg run of 7's (or for promo) and musta forgot to use push up the channel with the bells on it?.....

Loko

sup s******,

7"???

http://cgi.ebay.com/WOW-Funk-Hip-Hop-7-4...ksid=p1638.m122

it's a 12" that's in question...

peace.