The art, heat, and rael. Fuck the nerd hatters

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    the art of desk beats

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    You seem to be taking the proverbial heteronormative position (in an academic sense)

By the way, this makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. Do you even know what "heteronormative" means? It's not a proverb. It's not meant to be applicable to situations other than what the term itself is defined as - which has to do with human sexuality. Not "art" or "culture" or "ideas."

I guess I'm being "notimpressedbyMPCplayingnormative." In an academic sense. Proverbially speaking.

Quite to the contrary. I'm not sure what field of academia you've studied in, but it gets deployed to describe paradigms of abjection that have nothing to do with sexuality.

Being that I used the qualifier 'proverbial', followed by the qualifier '(in an academic sense)' that should have given some indication that I'm not using the word in its conventional sense, but in an academic sense. In the field of academia that I've studied in (Performance Studies--which draws from such cultural studies fields as gender thory, queer theory, race theory, et al.), heteronormative gets used to describe situations in which those who exercise power within a structure expect that all other individuals within theirstructure exercise agency solely in already accepted forms.

It's not even a point of contention, it's simply a matter of jargon that I assumed you'd be privy to.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I like Turtles.

Oh man, that made me laugh so f*cking hard. Totally made this thread worth it.

• Retarded thread, but I am a bit more worried that I actually read 90% of it.

• I can't even be bothered with this shit.

Y'all are some smart dumb cats. Or dumb smart cats. Or whatever.

Using big ass words to make simple shit seem complex...pshhh.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I can't even be bothered with this shit.

That, and testing Odub's academic gangsta is, more often than not, a losing proposition.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I like Turtles.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    doing 300 BPM gabber techno with triplet cowbell moves or lighting his MPC on fire whilst doing handstands or some shit like that.

This sounds pretty awesome. And this is the best thread I've read in weeks.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I can't even be bothered with this shit.

That's the name of the game, son! The less secure you are about your point, the more you try to obfuscate it with a barrage of terms of art and hyperbolically inflated diction so as to convey the impression of mastery that mere Philistines cannot comprehend and to which they must therefore acquiesce. Either that or, heteronormatively speaking, somebody will slam on the brakes and stop your loquaciousness on a paradigm.

(!)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    In the field of academia that I've studied in (Performance Studies--which draws from such cultural studies fields as gender thory, queer theory, race theory, et al.), heteronormative gets used to describe situations in which those who exercise power within a structure expect that all other individuals within theirstructure exercise agency solely in already accepted forms.

It's not even a point of contention, it's simply a matter of jargon that I assumed you'd be privy to.

You are a fraud.

Shades of 'exploitive servitudes which the moderator would do WELL to lock from viewing'....

• I like Turtles.

for some reason that made me want 2
    listen to ; The Turtles - Im Chief Kamanawanalea ;:braek graem:;

• In the field of academia that I've studied in (Performance Studies--which draws from such cultural studies fields as gender thory, queer theory, race theory, et al.), heteronormative gets used to describe situations in which those who exercise power within a structure expect that all other individuals within theirstructure exercise agency solely in already accepted forms.

You are a fraud.

Shades of 'exploitive servitudes which the moderator would do WELL to lock from viewing'....

Classic.

I'm surprised that one doesn't get used more often. With your help, we can bring it back.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    You seem to be taking the proverbial heteronormative position (in an academic sense)

By the way, this makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. Do you even know what "heteronormative" means? It's not a proverb. It's not meant to be applicable to situations other than what the term itself is defined as - which has to do with human sexuality. Not "art" or "culture" or "ideas."

I guess I'm being "notimpressedbyMPCplayingnormative." In an academic sense. Proverbially speaking.

Quite to the contrary. I'm not sure what field of academia you've studied in, but it gets deployed to describe paradigms of abjection that have nothing to do with sexuality.

Being that I used the qualifier 'proverbial', followed by the qualifier '(in an academic sense)' that should have given some indication that I'm not using the word in its conventional sense, but in an academic sense. In the field of academia that I've studied in (Performance Studies--which draws from such cultural studies fields as gender thory, queer theory, race theory, et al.), heteronormative gets used to describe situations in which those who exercise power within a structure expect that all other individuals within theirstructure exercise agency solely in already accepted forms.

Dude, you are talking about the word hegemonic.

Basically, yeah.

I come out of Ethnic Studies - a similar, interdisciplinary studies program as Performance Studies - and I currently teach in a sociology dept and nowhere, in either discipline is "heteronormative" used in any common way as how you're suggesting it. What you're talking about is plainly "hegemony." Heteronormativity refers to hegemonic sexuality but not hegemony in general.

That said, I didn't come out of a Performance Studies program so maybe the "jargon I'd be privy to" would be different in that field. Doubtful though.

And in any case, thinking MPC drumming = unimpressive is hardly hegemonic. It's not like I'm oppressing producers who like to bang out beats on their samplers...or have the the power to do so. At best, I'm not as open-minded to the potential awesomeness that you find but that's what's known as "a matter of opinion."

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I come out of Ethnic Studies - a similar, interdisciplinary studies program as Performance Studies - and I currently teach in a sociology dept and nowhere, in either discipline is "heteronormative" used in any common way as how you're suggesting it. What you're talking about is plainly "hegemony." Heteronormativity refers to hegemonic sexuality but not hegemony in general.

That said, I didn't come out of a Performance Studies program so maybe the "jargon I'd be privy to" would be different in that field. Doubtful though.

And in any case, thinking MPC drumming = unimpressive is hardly hegemonic. It's not like I'm oppressing producers who like to bang out beats on their samplers...or have the the power to do so. At best, I'm not as open-minded to the potential awesomeness that you find but that's what's known as "a matter of opinion."

I was using it as a trope, hence proverbial, and I was thinking more specifically about a specific intonation of heteronormativity--not included in hegemony in general--that I should have stressed. Namely, the idea that "everyone should act how I see fit, or else they carry no merit in my world." As far as I know hegemony is about telling people how to act, essentially ruling over them, whereas heteronormativity eliminates the existence of someone who doesn't act heterosexually. Heteronormativity doesn't have to involve direct repression, so much as repression through indirect means, "I'm not going to that party because there are gay people there," et cetera. But that is an entirely peripheral semantic point that has nothing to do with Jel.

I'm over the argument that this has turned into, and am partially regretful about starting the post the way I did. But, I do want to offer one more piece of input. HIp hop never would have existed without the technology of sampling and the temporal suspensions that it creates. I'm not saying that sampling operates independent of recording technologies, and other musical technologies that precede it. So, I think there is great value in being at a skill level where you can take an integral part of hip hop, the sampler, and create a repertoire that fudges the normal temporality of making beats. Yes, someone could do something similar to what Jel is doing with a drum kit, but it wouldn't be the same in the context of hip hop because an MPC has a different significance than a Ludwig Champagne Sparkle.

• HIp hop never would have existed without the technology of sampling

umm...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    HIp Hop never would have existed without the technology of sampling and the temporal suspensions that it creates.

They had samplers here?

• amazing how deep a hole one can dig for himself

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

x2

BA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

You sound cool.

And thanks for the location.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    HIp Hop never would have existed without the technology of sampling and the temporal suspensions that it creates.

They had samplers here?

Dudes were out rapping, and DJs were juggling beats, but was hip hop the same before Marley Marl--was it really hip hop, or was it hip hop not grown up? Plus, beat juggling is just sampling before samplers.

Dudes were out rapping, and DJs were juggling beats, but was hip hop the same before Marley Marl--was it really hip hop, or was it hip hop not grown up? Plus, beat juggling is just sampling before samplers.

The technology of beat juggling.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

They had samplers here?

beat juggling is cooler than whatever it is jel is doing.

quietly shitting.....lol..

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

The technology of beat juggling.

The art, heat, and rael.

What does this even mean? Is it like when you are quietly shitting on something?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

They had samplers here?

Dudes were out rapping, and DJs were juggling beats, but was hip hop the same before Marley Marl--was it really hip hop, or was it hip hop not grown up?

Hip Hop has gone thru many stages dude.
    Calling it "immature" before the sampler came into play is str silliness.

Plus, beat juggling is just sampling before samplers

I agree here. But the dj wasnt restricted to that technique. Blending anyone?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    It's from a thread a couple of weeks ago titled "Where's the art" where people were discussing the current state of hip hop. Someone mentioned that they were tired of the sounds of most recent hip hop. Some people suggested Anticon, and of course people had negative things to say. Heat because Jel is fire, and the rael for tongue-in-cheek effect.

If you haven't caught onto the fact that I'm most often aware of the comedy in the stuff I post, and that its often in there intentionally--even when it makes me look 'uncool' on the internets--then I just made it obvious.

Thanks.

This guy has a pretty biff looking beard.

• he would have been keeping it more real if his jeans were tighter. pretty hair though!

It's from a thread a couple of weeks ago titled "Where's the art" where people were discussing the current state of hip hop. Someone mentioned that they were tired of the sounds of most recent hip hop. Some people suggested Anticon, and of course people had negative things to say. Heat because Jel is fire, and the rael for tongue-in-cheek effect.

If you haven't caught onto the fact that I'm most often aware of the comedy in the stuff I post, and that its often in there intentionally--even when it makes me look 'uncool' on the internets--then I just made it obvious.

Thanks.

This guy has a pretty biff looking beard.

oh ok. Love the saigon quote in your loc!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Calling it "immature" before the sampler came into play is str silliness.

Of course. It's never gonna be all grown up, but I think that there is a significant change in style, and audience range that takes palce when samplers come into the game.

Plus, beat juggling is just sampling before samplers

I agree here. But the dj wasnt restricted to that technique. Blending anyone?
    Of course. I just figured that juggling was the more applicable example, and it seems to be more in line with the stylistic developments that follow in hip hop.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Plaese to see Rapso:

What is Rapso?[/b]

There is a popular myth that rapso is the fusion of American rap music with soca, hence the name rapso. Sounds plausible, but not true. Rapso is a unique style of street poetry from Trinidad and Tobago that originated in the 1970's. Rapso was created to relate to the everyday experiences of everyday people. The late Lancelot Layne is the man responsible for this genre.

Origin of Rapso[/b]

During the 1970's Trinidad and Tobago experienced much political and social unrest. The 1970's saw the rise of the Black Power Movement and a corresponding pro-African sentiment. Trade unions also began to take a stand. This is the environment that gave birth to rapso. Some of the first rapso songs were chanted on the picket lines.

Lancelot Layne's 1970 hit Blow Away was the first rapso recording. Layne is also well remembered for his 1971 recording Get off the Radio. In 1976, Cheryl Byron was the first rapso artist to perform in a calypso tent. At the time, she was scoffed at "whoever heard of poetry in a calypso tent?" Today Cheryl Byron is recognized as the Mother of Rapso.

http://caribplanet.homestead.com/101_Rapso.html

RAP so.