What do you do for a living.......

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Network and Systems Administrator for a software company
    I maintain servers for email, web, ftp, and file storage. I'm also responsible for the network, phone system, and security.

Computer Consultant
    Once in a while I work as a consultant doing contract work. I don't really like doing consulting that much as you have to work all over the place but getting paid $100 or more an hour is nice.

DJ once in a while. Making money isn't what drives me to DJ though.

Started selling records recently. Mostly so that I can turn around and buy more records.

I used to do admin work, talk about lonely computer time. I'd be on aim all day nerding out.

Right now I'm a Freelance Computer Tech. I've basically been doing this on and off since 2001. It's great, because I work when and where I please with no boss harping over me, and all it takes is word of mouth, and some business cards to get my name out there. I get overpaid mostly under the table work. The downside is when it comes to finding a "REAL" job. It looks like I've just been unemployed. I hope I don't get audited.

- spidey

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Full Time - High School Music Teacher
    Part Time - 45 DJ

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I assemble, package, and ship Clone-A-Willy and Clone-A-Pussy kits.

It pays better than I would have thought and it's the most laid back place I've ever worked. Right now, I can clock in or out whenever I feel like it and I can work as many hours as I please. Plus I've got my Christmas list almost completely covered this year.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Professional Producer.

That's it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I work wherever I can fit in in various Television postiions.

currently I am working as a Associate Producer & News & Reality wiriter

3 weeks ago I was a coffee fetcher for a Warner Brothers drama series.

in my free time I fight crime and keep ice cold

I also sell records and walk wealthy dogs

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Reality wiriter

Im curious how this works. Do you write up the scenarios in which people are put in, or is even their reactions and confessions scripted as well?
    how much of reality tv is real?

• full time licensed professional civil engineer employed by the state

part time deejay at the monthly gig

occasional record slanger

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Reality wiriter

Im curious how this works. Do you write up the scenarios in which people are put in, or is even their reactions and confessions scripted as well?
    how much of reality tv is real?

well currently I am writing news specials so I'm not really working in reality show scenarios currently. But yeah as a reality writer you write the scenarios down, the peope adlib they're way through it. Sometimes they are told what to bring up or to say something interesting.

Don't ever think reality TV is reality though, its just a cheaper way of making a program.

• custom tile installations. now offering discounts to strutters.

• 1 - Senior Client Services Representative for Ticketmaster.

2 - Weekly DJ

3 - Part Time Lover.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    3 - Part Time Lover.

(page me)

• My friend and I own a graphic design and screenprinting studio in Minneapolis. Started off as a sort of freelance collective, but earlier this year we incorporated and made it official. Definitely a huge change from where we once were. We now have employees and paychecks and Quickbooks. Whoa. I have a bunch of new weird tasks like managing people, customer service and mailorder on top of all the design work I do. I also organize, book, and promote the art gallery we have in the front room of our studio.

I'm incredibly fortunate to get to do what I love for a living. I've gotten to design vinyl, CDs, flyers and logos for a ton of Soulstrutters (Day, Olski, Cosmo & Ayres, Danno, King Most, Morse Code, Herm, Bambouche, Delay, Matthew Africa, Serg, DJ Stef, shit who did I forget?) plus other artists and companies who I either really look up to, are awesome to work with, or are otherwise some kind of dream client (Arcade Fire, Nike, Kidrobot, Spankrock, Lyrics Born, Stones Throw).

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I'm incredibly fortunate to get to do what I love for a living. I've gotten to design vinyl, CDs, flyers and logos for a ton of Soulstrutters (Day, Olski, Cosmo & Ayres, Danno, King Most, Morse Code, Herm, Bambouche, Delay, Matthew Africa, Serg, DJ Stef, shit who did I forget?) plus other artists and companies who I either really look up to, are awesome to work with, or are otherwise some kind of dream client (Arcade Fire, Nike, Kidrobot, Spankrock, Lyrics Born, Stones Throw, Slipknot[/b]).

• TheeCasualMale, do you know the Aesthetic Apparatus guys?

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    freelance studio engineer/audio rustler/foley artist/studio musician/programmer/record hustler/semi retired pimp

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I used to work as an office assistant for an air conditioning company. I worked over the summer for an electrical company doing delivery, inventory, gas sensor calibration and other stuff before I was laid off last month due to the company suddenly losing a lot of business. It's a great possibility that I will work for either a local, non-corporate hardware store that constantly gets good business, a home theater installation company or as a dispatcher for a gym equipment company in the next week or so. I don't know exactly what I want as a career at this early stage of my life, but I am trying to step my marketable skill game up teaching myself drafting, speaking Spanish and playing the drums. I sell records from time to time, but it's not a big money thing (maybe $200/month).

• First off, i'm 3? years old.
    I am divorced...
    but i do not live in a van down by the river... yet.

1) During the day I work as a lead designer for a huge corporation that offers online integrated human resource outsourcing solutions for fortune 500 companies.
    BORING!!!

But the pay is super nice and helps finance other stuff.

2) I'm also a freelance designer, but only take on fun, creative projects to offset the dry corporate bullshit.

3) I've put out a few acclaimed rare/obscure golden era hip hop mix cds, which fortunately, continue to sell to this day (the first one i did was back in 2003). Anywho I use that extra cheddar for buying records.

4) Occasionaly DJ around Chicago.

I think i'd trade 1) for this gig:
    I assemble, package, and ship Clone-A-Willy and Clone-A-Pussy kits.

Mike - Saw some of you and your crews' stuff at a poster show billy (Deliscious Design) put on in chicago last weekend. Keep it comin yo!

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I have been in the hotel business around 9 years, various rolls, various hotels..

being a manager in any sort of 24 hour business sucks...

• What a wide array of professions on this forum...

Might as well join in.

Paying Gig:[/b] Currently working as an executive assistant/HR person/translator for an Indian Gourmet Food company that specializes in Naan, Roti, Poori and other authentic Indian breads. It's only two miles from my apt, I'm home by 2:45 and it's pretty stress-free as far as jobs go.

Aspirations:[/b] Tattoo artist and/or running my own record store/indie label.

Former jobs:[/b] in somewhat chronological order from age 11 - cleaning cinema multiplexes at night, produce dept at C-Town Supermarket, Sneaker spot clerk, clerk at Soul Fashion #1, video store clerk, various record store jobs, ten soul-stealing years in the music industry, a shitty roach-infested cell phone store, a delivery guy for a dental laboratory, an auto parts delivery guy, various mortgage industry temp jobs, An incredibly stressful stint in property management. That's about it... for now.

Record Related:[/b] I rarely ever DJ anymore. It's a hassle that has lost its appeal. I sling shit on ebay from time to time, but should really get more focused with that. Recently started digging again, so you LA folls have been warned.

• TheeCasualMale, do you know the Aesthetic Apparatus guys?

Yup! I DJed Dan's wedding! Those are the homies.

Sloppy - Nice! That reminds me to bug them to send me some photos from the show. Cool that you dropped by!

And yes, Twoply, I did have the distinct honor of designing a t-shirt for Slipknot. I hope to one day see it, either for sale at Hot Topic or around the pale chassis of an underfed Minnesota gothozord at the State Fair.

• During the day I whore myself for a giant monopolistic telco, managing all their digital music products and services. After school I am a musician / arranger / occasional gig promoter / sometime record seller / we have label - but who the hell makes a cent from pressing short run vinyl?

So basically getting to see the music scene from both the cynical corporate and idealistic indie ends... sometimes it's hard to get my head straight.

• I assemble, package, and ship Clone-A-Willy and Clone-A-Pussy kits.

It pays better than I would have thought and it's the most laid back place I've ever worked. Right now, I can clock in or out whenever I feel like it and I can work as many hours as I please. Plus I've got my Christmas list almost completely covered this year.

There HAVE to be some good stories from the workplace you can share with us. Please do.

• I've gotten to design vinyl, CDs, flyers and logos for a ton of Soulstrutters (Day, Olski, Cosmo & Ayres, Danno, King Most, Morse Code, Herm, Bambouche, Delay, Matthew Africa, Serg, DJ Stef, shit who did I forget?[/b])
    Uh...

• 3 - Part Time Lover.

(page me)

Paged.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    I'm very happy to say Djing has being keeping the lights on...After 5 years at Kinko's Its real ill to actully do what I want and get paid, defianly not enough but fuck it beats the alternatives. I'm also a student at Ucf. Not a very serious one but the girilies keep me coming back even if I never see that degree...As much as I love to play out and get paid I doubt I can do this forever. Having no health insurance and 401 K is scary as fuck in the long run.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I sit at a desk doing things that are all just about a step above data entry. The money would be good if taxes didn't kill it all. I worked as a bartender and bar manager for three years, so this whole taxes out of my paycheck thing bruns me very pubicly.

I still bartend on the weekends at a great outdoor place for about 5 months out of the year.

But i just really hate how mindless my job is (although hours and location are nice) and am really in a spot in my life where i want to work hard and just can't seem to find the opportunity to show someone.

I am extremely passionate about beer (ha, not just drinking it) and i think beer culture is absolutely amazing. I am studying for the master Cicerone program (basically a beer sommelier) and am trying to find some way into the industry.

My girlfriend works for a great non-profit organization and that has sort of opened my eyes to a whole other aspect of the job world. I've been looking for a music and arts non-prof in Philly with something open, but nothing doing yet.

Any of you guys found yourself wanting to work really hard for someone and not have anyone to work hard for? It's pretty damn frustrating i've gotta say.

• I've gotten to design vinyl, CDs, flyers and logos for a ton of Soulstrutters (Day, Olski, Cosmo & Ayres, Danno, King Most, Morse Code, Herm, Bambouche, Delay, Matthew Africa, Serg, DJ Stef, shit who did I forget?[/b])
    Uh...

OOPS. That's cause I tend to think of you less as a Soulstrutter and more of a homie who happens to be on Soulstrut. But yes, I have designed many many many many flyers for this beast among men known as King Otto Of The Squares.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I pay my bills being an associate editor for InfoWorld.com (gotta intercap that W for branding purposes, don't you know). It's not exactly a dream job, but I've certainly had worse. It's largely unobjectionable, though sometimes crazy.

I used to DJ a lot more than I do these days. Of course, I barely do any DJing these days, so I guess "a lot more" is a relative term. I'm largely uninterested in the club scene as playing music I don't like for a small sum of money doesn't exactly get me going. But those few gigs I can find that I'm into are highly rewarding and remind me why I liked DJing in the first place. Also, as the DJing declines, production is on the rise. I get a lot of the same good feelings out of making music that I used to get regularly out of playing it.

• Freelance Highway/Infrastructure Technician

errrrr...