WHO STILL SWITCHES PRICE TAGS ON RECORDS ??

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    When I had my shop. There was a dude (Who I know posted on Soul Strut a couple of times) took a record which we had priced at around $80 bucks and when myself or my partner wasn't working put it in one of the cheap bins. He ended up getting it for around 5 bucks. We were pretty pissed. One of the few times I've wanted to punch someone in the face.

• when I was 10 and 11 years old, I did that shit ALL the time at Target and K Mart. I only got $3 a week allowance, and that doesnt get you Van Halen LPs. So, I would put .99 cent stickers on the Van Halen and AC/DC titles I needed in my life at the time. I havent done that since then however.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    All these dudes that are switching price tags.......

It would be so much less obvious, less risky and a lot quicker if you just Scratched or scuffed up the Vinyl a bit and declared it damaged at the counter to get a better price.

I mean Jeezzz. Step up your game.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I can't believe nobody mentioned the most dirtbag digger move. I see this one ALL the time.

Taking the records out of the sleeves, and putting them in with other records. Then coming back, asking if they knew where the record is? After a small search the owner will either give you the sleeve or ask 50 cents. I always notice this when all the heat in a bin is empty.

Little dudes if I catch you doing this I will infact beat your ass. I've caught maybe 20 dudes doing this, and one at my old record store. Fuckers.

- spidey

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    judgement question:

if I'm at a thrift and I find a hot record with no inner sleeve, is it cool to take an inner sleeve from a firestone christmas album and place it over said raer? I mean it really don't matter what you guys say cause I'm going to keep doing it anyways, but I wanna know what you guys think of said move

judgement comment:
    Haven't people in here given kudos to certain folks that jacked records from shops with "dickhead" owners *cough* Wax Tracks *cough*. How is that justifiable?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Haven't people in here given kudos to certain folks that jacked records from shops with "dickhead" owners *cough* Wax Tracks *cough*. How is that justifiable?

That fool DESERVES it. I honestly wanta bust in there with a couple skimasks and an unmarked van and take him down.

That's me though..

- spidey

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

That fool DESERVES it. I honestly wanta bust in there with a couple skimasks and an unmarked van and take him down.

That's me though..

- spidey

No doubt dudes a dick, I'm still pissed at him for some bullshit he tried to pull on me back in 2000. But I just figure the dudes a sad sack of shit that has nothing to keep him going in terms of a reason to live other than his bitch-ass bragging and over pricing.

there should be a telethon for those types

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    judgement question:

if I'm at a thrift and I find a hot record with no inner sleeve, is it cool to take an inner sleeve from a firestone christmas album and place it over said raer? I mean it really don't matter what you guys say cause I'm going to keep doing it anyways, but I wanna know what you guys think of said move

of course this is ok!!

that shit is 'digging 101'.

don't be so sensitive . lol

price tag switching is not nice.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    judgement question:

If I ever caught you doing this in my goodwill I'd hit you in the face with a 9 iron. straight up.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    judgement question:

If I ever caught you doing this in my goodwill I'd hit you in the face with a 9 iron. straight up.

meet me over by sweater wear and try it bitch!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

If I ever caught you doing this in my goodwill I'd hit you in the face with a 9 iron. straight up. [/b]

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

judgement comment:

I always bring about $200-$500 to spend on vinyl whenever I go to Las Vegas(little Purple shack always has good jazz in abundance), and just based on Wax Trax dude's rep I have never even set foot in his store. Who needs the aggravation? More reasonable dealers get my cash.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    only time it makes sense to switch tags is if you're shopping at that record store on east 3rd st. in NYC. dude has no clue!

I'm out of town this weekend; if you want to switch tags you'll have to deal with a man not necessarily sharing in my sunny ass disposition

• only time it makes sense to switch tags is if you're shopping at that record store on east 3rd st. in NYC. dude has no clue!

I'm out of town this weekend; if you want to switch tags you'll have to deal with a man not necessarily sharing in my sunny ass disposition

but you're always so smrky/smiley in flicks?????

• judgement question:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    judgement question:

the price tag on the bear with the hat used to read $4.95 before I taught you the game

you need to be thanking me instead of exposing me.

• judgement question:

the price tag on the bear with the hat used to read $4.95 before I taught you the game

you need to be thanking me instead of exposing me.

thanks, but no thanks

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    This thread is sad. Dudes switching tags at the goodwill. WTF.

please tell me you read my entire post. im sure half the people read that i did it at goodwill and flipped shit. please read my justifications. its not that bad really.

p.s. i would never ever EVER pull this shit at a small business, legit record shop, or non-shady business ever. goodwill is full of crooked employees, exploiting the whole operation. at least i PAY. and as i said, its mostly if SOMETHING DOESNT HAVE A PRICE TAG ON IT AND I DONT WANT THEM TO JUST BE LIKE "SORRY WE CANT SELL THIS TO YOU IT DOESNT HAVE A TAG" buncha lazy fuckers. seriously this all just spawns from the fact that the dudes who ran my goodwill CONSTANTLY stole shit. thousands of dollars worth. serious.

plus when i worked there, if a friend was running the counter everything was free anyway. even people i didnt know. that goodwill was such a joke, i seriously just can NOT care. goodwill is a good organization, when it works. but it doesnt in my hometown. its not like i was taking $1000 records out of a clueless old ladies hand for pennies. people who do THAT shit should be the ones put on blast, and i know plenty of you pull that shit regularly.

i got my wurlitzer electric piano at that goodwill for $5 and that was the price the guy TOLD me. there are no Frickin' guidelines. it does NOT Frickin' MATTER.

p.p.s. ive never switched a tag on a record at goodwill. THAT would be pathetic. i always pay for records at thrift stores. (and no, i dont bring the portable.)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Pssst......The reason items in the Goodwill don't have tags is..

wait for it....

here it comes....

SOME ASSHOLE TOOK IT OFF TO SWITCH THE PRICE OF SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOME ASSHOLE TOOK IT OFF TO SWITCH THE PRICE OF SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    None of the Goodwills in my part of the country use price tags, I've never heard of such a thing... strictly uniform prices (for records/books/clothes/etc) or a price written in greasemarker. Matter fact - thats how ALL the thrifts are here (not that I'm wishing I could 'switch tags' or anything). I can definitely understand ako being frustrated that he couldn't buy records in the store because they don't have a tag though, that sucks - I'm not mad at him for coming up with a way to be able to pay them for something they wouldn't let him get otherwise.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Some dudes came in our shop and were pulling out records and leaving them in front of the bins as they went through the whole store, then brought like 300 records to the listening station, gave us the puppy dog face, and were like "heh, We're cratediggers"... like it justified what they were doing. That seems to be the same mentality here.

Dudes, you are not entitled to the records for cheap/free cuz you are "diggers", or the owners are assholes, or their prices are too high for you. If you want the record and can't afford it, take a deep breath, and walk away from it, or cough up the cash. Don't be a conniving jerk.

None of the Goodwills in my part of the country use price tags, I've never heard of such a thing... strictly uniform prices (for records/books/clothes/etc) or a price written in greasemarker. Matter fact - thats how ALL the thrifts are here (not that I'm wishing I could 'switch tags' or anything). I can definitely understand ako being frustrated that he couldn't buy records in the store because they don't have a tag though, that sucks - I'm not mad at him for coming up with a way to be able to pay them for something they wouldn't let him get otherwise.

thanks, haha. really thats all it is, if i really want something and it doesnt have a tag heres what happens:

me "this doesnt have a tag...do you know how much it is?"
    them "well, if it doesnt have a tag, we cant sell it. sorry"
    then they take whatever i have, and put it behind the counter, never to be seen again.

that shit SUCKS. im saying, if they would actually just RE-PRICE the shit i would gladly either accept or reject their offer. the problem is that is SUCH a hassle for them that they just dont even bother, and the thing i want is gone forever. im not willing to deal with that shit.

actually most stores around here are like that too with the flat pricing on records, except the goodwill by my house just recently started individually pricing records! kinda funny, stuff like neil young - decade will be like $3.38, random shit will be $1.38....i havent found a single record worth buying there in months.

i miss my hometown. every record was 59 cents.

Dudes, you are not entitled to the records for cheap/free cuz you are "diggers", or the owners are assholes, or their prices are too high for you. If you want the record and can't afford it, take a deep breath, and walk away from it, or cough up the cash. Don't be a conniving jerk.

i cant bring myself to switch the price OR walk away from a great record that's too expensive. therefore i am always broke. hahaha

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Don't be a conniving jerk.

This phrase pretty much sums up the message that people need to bear in mind when weighing up whether or not to change a price tag.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

My son would go absolutely mental if he saw this.

badass.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm rather surprised at the level of sanctimonious attitudes in this thread (and that says a lot coming from me, who's been known to have his moments of sanctimony). Isn't "tales of how I racked records" one of the time honored topics 'round here?

Or is just that real headz don't approve of something as "toy" as price tag switching vs. some of the other ways in which diggers try to get over on anyone if it means buying an $ record for cheap?

There's a lot of glass house stone throwin' here.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm rather surprised at the level of sanctimonious attitudes in this thread (and that says a lot coming from me, who's been known to have his moments of sanctimony). Isn't "tales of how I racked records" one of the time honored topics 'round here?

Or is just that real headz don't approve of something as "toy" as price tag switching vs. some of the other ways in which diggers try to get over on anyone if it means buying an $ record for cheap?

Wow.

What are the other ways that diggers try to "get over on someone" that are illegal??

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Isn't "tales of how I racked records" one of the time honored topics 'round here?

Wow.

What are the other ways that diggers try to "get over on someone" that are illegal??

I remember a thread from a few years back about stealing records from radio stations (and maybe public libraries too, I don't remember) that unfolded almost exactly like this one.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Isn't that why someone would start a thread like this? To guage how many people have degraded themselves similarly and to open him/herself up to the judgement/applause of others? Self-abuse in this manner seems to be fairly common on message boards, so I think it is all part of the act, if you will. Someone admits some creepy fact about themselves, hoping for validation and condemnation simultaneously.

to summarize: "You know you're wrong, brother."