WHO STILL SWITCHES PRICE TAGS ON RECORDS ??

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Isn't "tales of how I racked records" one of the time honored topics 'round here?

Or is just that real headz don't approve of something as "toy" as price tag switching vs. some of the other ways in which diggers try to get over on anyone if it means buying an $ record for cheap?

There's a lot of glass house stone throwin' here.

Wow.

What are the other ways that diggers try to "get over on someone" that are illegal??

I remember a thread from a few years back about stealing records from radio stations (and maybe public libraries too, I don't remember) that unfolded almost exactly like this one.

I've known people who have stolen records outright.....shoved 45's in LP jackets.....changed price tags.....shoved 45's down their pants or in their coat...taken records from the store/radio station they work at.....etc., etc.

They are all low lifes and I'll throw figurative rocks at them all day long.

Has political correctness extended itself to the point of not being able to call a crook a crook???

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    im sure every dude on here who thinks this behavior is wrong tells people they buy from the real value of their records as well... right?
    I don't know if that is exactly the same thing seeing as you are paying the actual price designated by the seller. But anyways.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    price written in greasemarker

I hate that crap, namely if I'm buying the record solely because the cover looks cool

im sure every dude on here who thinks this behavior is wrong tells people they buy from the real value of their records as well... right?

If you're in this for real, you will pay fair value.

If you try to get over on someone, and don't care if they ever sell you another record ever again, you won't.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

If someone has priced a record at $5, is it not a $5 record?

If you are buying unpriced stuff and have worked out a deal that you will pay X amount per record, are you not completing the contract by paying that amount when the transaction is complete?

The market is far from static, and IMO the responsibility is on the seller's part to know the market in which he/she is selling in. That is why I do not pay $50 for CTI titles that the market does not support as such. Nor am I in a hurry to pay $300 for an LP which may indeed have posted that price ONCE on Popsike, but generally is accepted as a $50 record. If I can negotiate a deal, I will. If a seller doesn't know his stuff, too bad, then in that instance their ignorance benefits me, just as my ignorance has no doubt benefitted others. But I also wouldn't start a thread called "someone's record game ignorance has benefitted me, arent' I something else?", but that's just me.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    "toy"

please to keep the word toy in graf related topics, thank you the mngmnt

Hip Hop Lingo 101

Toy = Graffiti

Herb = MC

Fruitcake or Poptart = Dj's

Homeless = Bboys

Palabra!

- spidey

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i know for a fact a few strutters on here who have scored shit off OG artists that they knew had back stock worth mad $ & kept it to themselves & paid dude 2$ a joint, & dude had no internet, no way of knowing young cats still collect his shit & will avg 250$ or more per item, i see no difference at all...

to me this is a thread in itself (I think it was one actually)

different story than finding cheap (yet valuable) jazz in a record store known for rock and soul, or vice versa, or negotiating prices with dealers. The nature of 'antiques', or 'collectibles' is necessarily more subjective than objective, IMO. I mean, aren't thrift and flea market records supposed to be a buck a piece, or 2 for a buck? At a certain point it stops being one thing and starts being something else.

i know for a fact a few strutters on here who have scored shit off OG artists that they knew had back stock worth mad $ & kept it to themselves & paid dude 2$ a joint, & dude had no internet, no way of knowing young cats still collect his shit & will avg 250$ or more per item, i see no difference at all...
    OK, if you meant this initially then yes this is the same thing, on an even worse scale. Mad low moves. The difference is between a record dealer & an artist here, a dealer should make it their job to price their stock accordingly so paying a price they have quoted even if it is low to you is ok. Paying the artist direct, whose job it is to make music, not know the worth of their vinyl, less than what their stuff is worth (we are talking by a huge margin here) is pretty low.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Has political correctness extended itself to the point of not being able to call a crook a crook???

Who said anything about "political correctness?"

This "liberal" boogeyman of yours is pretty prolific, huh?

Just because some people are admitting that they steal or
    pull shady shit with records, somehow in your mind it becomes
    their politics and involves others of these same imagined
    politics by proxy ... rock-a-logic at it's most refined?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Yeah what if you give Goodwill a quarter for a record that you could sell for $20? If it's all about the cause, wouldn't the right thing to do be to give Goodwill at least $15?

Sure it's slightly different but you know what's up. It's all about "the hustle," whether it's technically legal or not doesn't necessarily mean it's right OR wrong.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've often found that not being a totally obnoxious idiot, and actually spending some money has often helped price tags change miraciously on their own.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    i know for a fact a few strutters on here who have scored shit off OG artists that they knew had back stock worth mad $ & kept it to themselves & paid dude 2$ a joint, & dude had no internet, no way of knowing young cats still collect his shit & will avg 250$ or more per item,
    There's nothing wrong with that at all.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yeah what if you give Goodwill a quarter for a record that you could sell for $20? If it's all about the cause, wouldn't the right thing to do be to give Goodwill at least $15?

Sure it's slightly different but you know what's up. It's all about "the hustle," whether it's technically legal or not doesn't necessarily mean it's right OR wrong.

Do you guys really not understand the distinction here?

Taking advantage of an imbalance of information is not inherently wrong.

It's certainly not wrong when the other party has held themselves as a dealer of certain goods and, what's more, has set an asking price for those goods.

It is wrong when the other party is not a dealer of those goods, has never held themselves out as such, and you are the one who has shown up on their doorstep and set the price.

• WHAAAAA!
    Lets start a charity for lost artists who get jacked by record collectors.
    Maybe a learning program that shows them how to capitalize on their music.

WHAAAAA!
    Lets start a charity for lost artists who get jacked by record collectors.
    Maybe a learning program that shows them how to capitalize on their music.

bottomfeeder

• HAHA

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I think we need a new thread people:

DIGGING ETHICS

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

It's certainly not wrong when the other party has held themselves as a dealer of certain goods and, what's more, has set an asking price for those goods.

It is wrong when the other party is not a dealer of those goods, has never held themselves out as such, and you are the one who has shown up on their doorstep and set the price.

I wasn't really talking about record store owners.

As far as Goodwill, I am saying, If you're about the mission, be about the mission.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I wasn't really talking about record store owners.

Neither was I

• I think we need a new thread people:

DIGGING ETHICS

I SAY "DOG EAT DOG"

i prefer stealing car stereos over records anyway

I've often found that not being a totally obnoxious idiot, and actually spending some money has often helped price tags change miraciously on their own.

Who said anything about Liberals???

Who said anything about Liberals???

Yeah, you really don't have an answer. I understand.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i switch tags on nearly everything i buy. clothes, records, cd's, whatever. fuck it, im stickin it to the man. ive done it more times than i can count. maybe 100 times?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    i switch tags on nearly everything i buy. clothes, records, cd's, whatever. fuck it, im stickin it to the man. ive done it more times than i can count. maybe 100 times?

Counting: Not 's strength.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    check it, if theres somethin i want and it's 50 bucks, but i only have $30 on me, im gonna switch the tags so i can get that shit. and i dont understand how its stealing, you're still paying something for the merchandise. get like me!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Switching tags is wack.

why is it wack ?

its not like doing that in every Frickin' stores. if the shit is priced right i don't do that. and i DO find most of the people on here have this etiquette, they know the know, and they do things right, i respect this and i don't cross my lines.

but muthafuckas charge 50+ for a CTI and tells you its a rare record right in your eyes ? or switching a bashed to fuck copy from their back room and charge you the same price? c'mon, who's wacker? the price tag switch or the guy who's trying to rip people off ?

You know what's wack? Lusting after a CTI common.

You know what's even MORE wack? Not having the patience to wait for that shit.

You don't know how to play, either way. I've waited years to buy records at MY price.

Now, to read the rest of this thread.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    check it, if theres somethin i want and it's 50 bucks, but i only have $30 on me, im gonna switch the tags so i can get that shit. and i dont understand how its stealing, you're still paying something for the merchandise. get like me!

again, here's a novel idea. If you don't have the money for it, just don't buy it!

The only time I think it might be OK to steal, is if you're trying to steal some food cuz you're poor as fuck, or some underwear or some shit. Stealing and switching price tags on material shit like Records,CD's,trendy clothes, cuz you "want" it, thats some petty shit right there. Get a life.