WHO STILL SWITCHES PRICE TAGS ON RECORDS ??

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Switching tags is wack.

why is it wack ?

its not like doing that in every Frickin' stores. if the shit is priced right i don't do that. and i DO find most of the people on here have this etiquette, they know the know, and they do things right, i respect this and i don't cross my lines.

but muthafuckas charge 50+ for a CTI and tells you its a rare record right in your eyes ? or switching a bashed to fuck copy from their back room and charge you the same price? c'mon, who's wacker? the price tag switch or the guy who's trying to rip people off ?

I understand your position, but you should confront the dick charging too much for the CTI;not by being dishonest. Perhaps you saying "Hey bud, I would buy more stuff if it was priced appropriately" might work. It might not. Who am I, I've done bad things. We've done business, you seem to be good people. Dishonesty has a way of becoming a cloud around your head, people talk. Record dudes are a buncha gossipy bitches.
    Peace
    T.N.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Switching tags is wack.

why is it wack ?

its not like doing that in every Frickin' stores. if the shit is priced right i don't do that. and i DO find most of the people on here have this etiquette, they know the know, and they do things right, i respect this and i don't cross my lines.

but muthafuckas charge 50+ for a CTI and tells you its a rare record right in your eyes ? or switching a bashed to fuck copy from their back room and charge you the same price? c'mon, who's wacker? the price tag switch or the guy who's trying to rip people off ?

Dude, if you have to ask why, then you just don't know, & the more you try to justify it, the shadier you sound, just leave it alone.

a) who died & made you god of record pricing, how have you become master of "right" pricing?
    b) 50+ for a CTI - is the shop owner's call, if you don't like it, don't buy it, CTI sucks anyways, better off not having those terds stinking up your collection.
    c) The owner is just "trying" to rip people, it's only ripping people if some assclown pays the 50+ for it, again, you are under no obligation to buy.

PRICE TAG SWITCHING IS STILL WACKER.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    In all honesty, i don't think I have EVER switched a price sticker, though i have seen people do it and get away with it. I probably would have tried it in my younger years if I had thought I'd get away with it.

I may have switched records in covers to get a better condition copy for a slightly lower price though - although I seriously can't remember an instance of having actually done this.

I have a goodwill price gun with roll of stickers in my possession... but I have yet to use it. I always figure I will someday auction it on ebay to see what kind of people would bid on it and how high they would go.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    That's pretty funny.

I mean, who the hell would even try to mark down a $1 record? Plus most of the pricing on records in charoty spots is standard so it's not gonna work going up and saying "look, all these other records might be $1 but this one is priced at 0.05 cents!"

I say ebay that shit!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    In all honesty, i don't think I have EVER switched a price sticker, though i have seen people do it and get away with it. I probably would have tried it in my younger years if I had thought I'd get away with it.

I may have switched records in covers to get a better condition copy for a slightly lower price though - although I seriously can't remember an instance of having actually done this.

I have a goodwill price gun with roll of stickers in my possession... but I have yet to use it. I always figure I will someday auction it on ebay to see what kind of people would bid on it and how high they would go.

Do it!!!!

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Lets push this thread to 100+ pages.

White people switch tags more often than black people.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    only time it makes sense to switch tags is if you're shopping at that record store on east 3rd st. in NYC. dude has no clue!

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Do it!!!!

I still feel like maybe I'll need it some day... just in case. Like I'll have a kid someday and they will have this awesome huffy bike like I had as a kid and it will be $1000 in 2018 dollars because it's 'collectible' and he'll want it really bad but I'll be poor so I'll switch the tag from $1000 to $25 and I'll be glad I kept it all that time.

Of course, soon price tags will probably be obsolete. I better sell it while I still can.

GRIPP + FLIPP SON

• only time it makes sense to switch tags is if you're shopping at that record store on east 3rd st. in NYC. dude has no clue!

I'm out of town this weekend; if you want to switch tags you'll have to deal with a man not necessarily sharing in my sunny ass disposition

only time it makes sense to switch tags is if you're shopping at that record store on east 3rd st. in NYC. dude has no clue!

I'm out of town this weekend; if you want to switch tags you'll have to deal with a man not necessarily sharing in my sunny ass disposition

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    when you're digging in a store?

i do.

fuck it, why not.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    why couldn't this one pop up while I was at work today.

add to THA (crate-diggin') LIFESTYLEZ list.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    when you're digging in a store?

i do.

fuck it, why not.

I did a couple of times, but I know most of the owners pretty well and would feel bad doing it...unless they didn't give me the special customer discount! I've had a few 7" fall into LP sleeves before....
    Where are you doing this? I need to see you in action!
    Maybe we can boost together like in Juice, I'll chat up the slutty counter lady and you can stash records in a newspaper!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• if you dont do this shit on the regular youre not hiphop.

• but its different types of sellers/record dealers.. some dudes you just dont like/got any respect for..bullshit ass country/rockabilly dealers trying to sell you common soul/funk records for mad money.

knock a hustle on em

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    if you dont do this shit on the regular youre not hiphop living the crate diggin' lifestyle.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    My two local record exchanges have a policy where they start prices sky high then mark down the price of stock by ??1 a week. Annoys the hell out of me when they 'forget' to mark down certain records week after week because they think some sucker will still pay over the odds. Never switched stickers but I've unofficially revised a few prices for them before slipping them back into the racks for others to find.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I switch ALL prices tags to pre-made ones that simply read "THE GAME."

Shop owners see this, and respect my hustle. They give me that shit for free.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i switch tags at goodwills sometimes, mostly because the store policy of "no tag no sale" is bullshit, and secondly because the pricing is so inconsistent. i used to try to negotiate or get somebody to price things on the spot but its such a "hassle" for them that i just say fuck it.

heres how i justify it:

1. i used to work at a goodwill, the owners stole all the expensive stereo equipment and clothing all the time, which made me really just not feel bad at all.
    2. its not stealing.
    3. the pricing on anything can go from $1-$100 depending on the person pricing that day. there is not guidlines for price at all, thats why one day youll find a stereo reciever for $2.38 and the next day youll find a shittier one at $20.38
    4. i usually make the price fair anyway, and thats only if i really want something i cant afford. 99% of the time its just to avoid the "no tag no sale" policy.

bonus common sense hint for anybody who would consider doing it: always look for a soft/plush item with a price tag on it. that way it just peels cleanly off and you dont have to pick at it. much less suspicious-looking.

that said, the only time i recall switching a tag on a record was one time when i was in minneapolis, i took a record out of a shops "on hold" bin beneath the counter and put a $2 price tag on it and got it. the guy even questioned me on it but somehow i got away with it. i still feel slightly guilty for that one, mostly just because i probably screwed over another collectro. the owner was an asshole, i didnt feel bad for him, just whoever put the record on hold.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I switch ALL prices tags to pre-made ones that simply read "THE GAME."

Shop owners see this, and respect my hustle. They give me that shit for free.

WOW

A+

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i switch tags at goodwills sometimes, mostly because the store policy of "no tag no sale" is bullshit, and secondly because the pricing is so inconsistent. i used to try to negotiate or get somebody to price things on the spot but its such a "hassle" for them that i just say fuck it.

heres how i justify it:

1. i used to work at a goodwill, the owners stole all the expensive stereo equipment and clothing all the time, which made me really just not feel bad at all.
    2. its not stealing.
    3. the pricing on anything can go from $1-$100 depending on the person pricing that day. there is not guidlines for price at all, thats why one day youll find a stereo reciever for $2.38 and the next day youll find a shittier one at $20.38
    4. i usually make the price fair anyway, and thats only if i really want something i cant afford. 99% of the time its just to avoid the "no tag no sale" policy.

bonus common sense hint for anybody who would consider doing it: always look for a soft/plush item with a price tag on it. that way it just peels cleanly off and you dont have to pick at it. much less suspicious-looking.

that said, the only time i recall switching a tag on a record was one time when i was in minneapolis, i took a record out of a shops "on hold" bin beneath the counter and put a $2 price tag on it and got it. the guy even questioned me on it but somehow i got away with it. i still feel slightly guilty for that one, mostly just because i probably screwed over another collectro. the owner was an asshole, i didnt feel bad for him, just whoever put the record on hold.

I don't understand the impulse that tells you to put this on a public message board. I mean, it's not like you are some anonymous dude in this small world....like someone said earlier, the record collecting world is small, bitchy and gossipy. This thread makes me re-consider doing any kind of transaction with anyone around here.

I could care less if people wanna steal/misrepresent/con, but hearing people talk openly about it is about as much fun as listening to someone tell you how they run around on their wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/etc. Your business is your business, but putting it out in the street is seriously low class. And by putting it out there, you are subjucting your actions to the judgements of people.

My judgement is : immature, creepy, untrustworthy, low-class behavior

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    never that,son.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Switching price tags is for children, fiends and kleptos, no matter where, no matter when.

C'mon dudes, act grown.

• This thread is sad. Dudes switching tags at the goodwill. WTF.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

heres how i justify it:

2. its not stealing.

I don't understand the impulse that tells you to put this on a public message board. I mean, it's not like you are some anonymous dude in this small world....like someone said earlier, the record collecting world is small, bitchy and gossipy. This thread makes me re-consider doing any kind of transaction with anyone around here.

I could care less if people wanna steal/misrepresent/con, but hearing people talk openly about it is about as much fun as listening to someone tell you how they run around on their wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/etc. Your business is your business, but putting it out in the street is seriously low class. And by putting it out there, you are subjucting your actions to the judgements of people.

My judgement is : immature, creepy, untrustworthy, low-class behavior

No, I like Ako, I just think folks need to use their judgement before they son themselves in public.

I am quite happy actually.

• Know a guy who used to switch the tags of walmart spray paint onto krylon to get krylon for like $1 each.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Dudes switching tags at the goodwill. WTF.

Seriously. The lamest shit I've heard in a while.

We are North America???s leading nonprofit provider of education, training, and career services for people with disadvantages, such as welfare dependency, homelessness, and lack of education or work experience, as well as those with physical, mental and emotional disabilities. Last year, local Goodwills collectively provided employment and training services to more than 930,775 individuals.

We believe that work has the power to transform lives by building self-confidence, independence, creativity, trust and friendships. Everyone deserves a chance to have these.

Goodwill provides that chance.

Goodwill Industries will enhance the quality and dignity of life for individuals, families, and communities on a global basis, through the power of work, by eliminating barriers to opportunity for people with special needs, and by facilitating empowerment, self-help, and service through dedicated, autonomous local organizations.

We at Goodwill Industries will be satisfied only when every person in the global community has the opportunity to achieve his/her fullest potential as an individual and to participate and contribute fully in all aspects of a productive life.

Respect - We treat all people with dignity and respect.

Stewardship - We honor our heritage by being socially, financially, and environmentally responsible.

Ethics - We strive to meet the highest ethical standards

Learning - We challenge each other to strive for excellence and to continually learn.

Innovation - We embrace continuous improvement, bold creativity and change.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Know a guy who used to switch the tags of walmart spray paint onto krylon to get krylon for like $1 each.

I've seen this work remarkably well. But I'd recommend using the technique for Rusto.