Previewing records in the thrifts

Comments

• I don't get what so 'big dude' or 'livin it up' about buying shitty records?

^^^ PURCHASER OF MANY SHITTY RECORDS ^^^

Scenario:

So you're in Shitstock, OH.

There's five boxes of unmarked test pressings that just got put out as you walk up.

What you gonna do?

Happened to me. I bought three boxes of unmarked tests for $300 - $100 a box. I thought I had just made the most foolish mistake in my short career. One of the first records I pulled out was a test press of Led Zeppelin 1. I sold that for $1500.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I even buy records that I KNOW are going to suck. If it has a stock sunset cover, I am buying that joint even if the back says 'covers of all your favorite polka hits'.

This is when I realized I'd passed the point of no return.

The above activity was so 2001.

COVERLESS IN 2007, DAWG

^^^^SPENDS MONEY ON SHARDS OF GAMELAN RECORDS.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I don't get what so 'big dude' or 'livin it up' about buying shitty records?

Scenario:

There's five boxes of unmarked test pressings that just got put out as you walk up.

What you gonna do?

Why woudn't you buy them? Jesus, I would have bought all those xian retard records you found knowing full well that they sucked.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

^^^ PURCHASER OF MANY SHITTY PABLO[/b] RECORDS ^^^

If I can get ten dollars all day for Rupert Holmes, then I can surely get $6.35 all day for the Zoot Sims Fall Asleep Bloatet. Don't fruckin tet my Muse Timeless, son.

• I even buy records that I KNOW are going to suck. If it has a stock sunset cover, I am buying that joint even if the back says 'covers of all your favorite polka hits'.

This is when I realized I'd passed the point of no return.

The above activity was so 2001.

COVERLESS IN 2007, DAWG

but if you didnt have the cover, you wouldnt have bought this:

magic happens at 1:21

memphis new wave moves trying to cash in on McGruff...

Scenario:

What you gonna do?

Why woudn't you buy them? Jesus, I would have bought all those xian retard records you found knowing full well that they sucked.

I know. That's why you live with at your Moms and run a dating site for shut-ins.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    Acid Archives on a Rafferty budget

• run a dating site for shut-ins.

what the fuck bro. hook me up!

Scenario:

What you gonna do?

Happened to me. I bought three boxes of unmarked tests for $300 - $100 a box. I thought I had just made the most foolish mistake in my short career. One of the first records I pulled out was a test press of Led Zeppelin 1. I sold that for $1500.

Good[/b] for you. My experience has been different. Saved only by the portable.

• Do you also pre-taste a bite of everything on the $1 menu at Burger King?

POSSIBLE GAME OVER

confirmed...[/b]

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    run a dating site for shut-ins.

I believe soul_hawk is coordinating this part of the site. I'd rather not know.

• chasechase 767 Posts

Scenario:

What you gonna do?

kinda apples to oranges IMO

run a dating site for shut-ins.

I believe soul_hawk is coordinating this part of the site. I'd rather not know.

I don't care which one of you is in charge, I've been waiting for my compatibility report for months

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    this thread is becoming an instant classic

I dunno...I think I need to check it out on my portable before making that call.

• this thread is becoming an instant classic

CONTRADICTION ALERT!!

• I don't get what so 'big dude' or 'livin it up' about buying shitty records?

Scenario:

What you gonna do?

Well I'm sort of glossing over the fact that I knew it was all Atlantic label or related, that I saw a couple of names that made me think it might be worth it (Velvet Underground, Otis Redding), and that I was kind of in this dude's basement for the first time and had to buy something in order to grease the wheels of the relationship. But still, it was a big chance that 99% of record buyers wouldn't take and on that $300 I probably clocked 5 or 6 grand. LIVE A LITTLE. Come on. You buy crap all the time. You might fool these other sallys but this bitch knows better.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    nobody likes buying bad records( I could be wrong here) but you just end up with them anyway.

fuck if I'm gonna take a portable into a salvation army or flea market where the shit is $1, that is pretty ghey.

btw breakself - clear your pms fool.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Scenario:

What you gonna do?

Well I'm sort of glossing over the fact that I knew it was all Atlantic label or related, that I saw a couple of names that made me think it might be worth it (Velvet Underground, Otis Redding), and that I was kind of in this dude's basement for the first time and had to buy something in order to grease the wheels of the relationship. But still, it was a big chance that 99% of record buyers wouldn't take and on that $300 I probably clocked 5 or 6 grand. LIVE A LITTLE. Come on. You buy crap all the time. You might fool these other sallys but this bitch knows better.

You really think 99 percent of record buyers wouldn't take that chance? I guess I kinda thought most serious buyers would jump at it.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I used to bring my portable on every road trip, and never pull it out. It would knock around in my trunk all damn day. Finally I stopped bringing it. I do occasionally go "shit, I left the portable back in New York" but it's rare.

Portables are only for overnight trips. If a store provides a listening station, I use it, but I don't provide my own while I'm in the store. But when I'm somewhere overnight, I will bring my portable and then I can listen to the day's finds in the hotel room. This brings me great joy.

When I'm not on the road, the portable travels around my house. To the basement when I'm sorting stuff out; to the living room where my daughter can play her sesame street records; to the backyard when I'm grilling (summer 2007 r.i.p.).

Does anyone know what kind of damage is done to records/needles on the portable when you leave that ish running for like an hour in the runout groove? Seems like not a good idea, but it happens kind of frequently around our place.

Thanks,
    JRoot

done and done.

• memphis new wave moves trying to cash in on McGruff...

You know I bought all three copies I saw in Memphis.
    CAREFUL WITH DOG POLICE

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

done and done.

now, were you interested in agoraphobic shut-ins or maybe bed-ridden shut-ins???

what about digger lifestyles? is that attractive to you?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Does anyone know what kind of damage is done to records/needles on the portable when you leave that ish running for like an hour in the runout groove?

Well unless you plan on listening to the runout groove, it doesn't really matter, does it?

• I dunno...I think I need to check it out on my portable before making that call.

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

done and done.

now, were you interested in agoraphobic shut-ins or maybe bed-ridden shut-ins???

I'm an equal opportunity employer if you catch my drift.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    this thread is becoming an instant classic

CONTRADICTION ALERT!!

yeah that was an oxymoron

• what about when you come across a record that's worth money you don't know about. you decide to listen to and it sounds like crap so you put it back. a random purchase would have won this one out

looking back it seems a lot of my rare records came along when i was new to digging and i wasn't so discerning and just buying random shit. but once i started to be picky and act like mr. cooldigger i'd never take chances. the few times i've ever used a portable i felt like a knob and made me leave shops with a pathetic amount of records

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    this thread is getting creepy on some confessional booth need for self exposure expulsion /HUGE chunks of yellow big byrd thrift store record vomit type steeze

dudes be gettin all type of exazzperated an' energetical and shit

for the ,,,.......aheeem ....record
    'i never use one unless its a repeat situation cleanout/warehouse 8 hour type thing and i want tunes to listen to/ck as i pillage

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I don't even own a fricking portable. If you know your shit, you'll get to the point where you can gather what sort of records you will find interesting enough to buy without needle dropping them first. 8 times out of 10 anyway. I now am at the point where if I am questioning if I want to drop $1 on a record at a thrift store I'll just leave it there. At flea markets etc. it is all about buying stuff that "looks" interesting. Just live a little, it's only a buck. If you are looking at a huge quantity collection, then a portable could probably help, but if you're at a thrift store?? What the f*ck!!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    this thread is getting creepy on some confessional booth need for self exposure expulsion /HUGE chunks of yellow big byrd thrift store record vomit type steeze

dudes be gettin all type of exazzperated an' energetical and shit

for the ,,,.......aheeem ....record
    'i never use one unless its a repeat situation cleanout/warehouse 8 hour type thing and i want tunes to listen to/ck as i pillage

I'm with Kala on this one.....I'm gonna suggest to my local Goodwill Manager that they charge a "listening" fee to all you record condom toy dudes!!